Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

Dual 24" 16:10 supremacy

Yeah I thought we decided this was the right answer like 2 threads ago...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
A ticket came in...

The licenses have expired. 1/7/2018.

I've been HOUNDING 4 different departments since November about the fact that they need to renew their Adobe CC subscriptions.
Not a single loving response to any of it.

The licenses expired on sunday and today has been an absolute shitstorm of "OH MY GOD MY PHOTOSHOP. I CAN'T WORK!"

Good. gently caress you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

My Adobe CC renewal was in August. I didn't ask anyone anything. I generated a report that broke out each subscription by department/user and sent it to our AP department. About a week later I got a notification that it was paid.

I can't even begin to explain how jealous I am.
I tried that last year and it didn't go so well. Each department still has to get a PO signed and completed and sent in to procure the software licenses and for some loving reason it still has to go through IT to actually place the order. On top of that, last year I proactively got separate renewal quotes for each department, created the PO's for them, literally handed them everything they needed on a silver plate (okay it was in several emails and then an envelope placed directly in their hands) and they still couldn't be bothered to just sign the loving thing right there and give it back to me. Then in May (5 months after they expired) I get an angry email from DepartmentDirector about how we are slacking and not doing our jobs in IT and how dare we just let important things like license renewals slip through the cracks "PEOPLE LITERALLY CAN'T DO THEIR JOBS!"

Next year I'm taking the fuckit approach. "Sorry we don't do renewals. If you want a license, you can send us a ticket."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Fool posted:

Are you not on CC Teams?

For us, it's just one PO for every subscription, AP gets each departments billing code after I send the report that breaks out who uses what, and we cut a check.

We are.
Our finance department "doesn't feel like doing all that." And for some reason putting separate line items on a single PO is "heresy of the highest order!" Even though we do that for like a million other things.

I'm not sure if I posted the saga of our new Xerox contract or not but it's been like 3 years and that whole rats nest is still hosed.
We went 12 loving months without paying a single bill for absolutely no reason other than, Finance didn't feel like doing their jobs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

I think we can close the thread now. It's perfect.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Farking Bastage posted:

The State department of Law enforcement can suck my dick. :mad:

My group operates the network for a ~250k resident municipality. Our entire WAN is dark fiber. Owned by us and nothing riding on it but our traffic. Criminal Justice data goes through the police department segment and out a special circuit and ASA owned by State law enforcement as well. There's other safeguards as well like Netsight policies that disallow non LEO subnets to see anything at the station as well. The police station connection to the 911 dispatch is also dark fiber. Someone decided they wanted a line to look different on their Visio so now we have to put firewalls on each end of those segments and back to the core or they will declare us non-compliant. Mind you these links are 10G and a 20G lag, so we have to put in beefy enough hardware to full-on encrypt at those speeds. Never mind that the application data itself is encrypted and over private fiber. It's a shitload of money and trouble for something that is encrypting already encrypted data. We can do it, but drat.

Welp, we just got a new monkey wrench to throw into this blender full of donkey gently caress. They want to stretch the virtual host clusters at the station and E911 to V-motion back and forth.

So we have to do a VXLAN between the two sites.
Encrypted through a couple of HA Checkpoint clusters (I'm not even sure you can tunnel through it that way)
At 10-20G Speeds.
And reliable enough for Public Safety.

What could possibly go wrong? :suicide:

HAHAHAHAHA and here I am just trying to keep police officers from sharing passwords via email with other agencies.
Seriously though supporting LEO can be a terrible thing. It's funny, every time somebody wants something they run around shouting "CJIS COMPLIANCE!" or "PUBLIC SAFETY!!" and they get what they want. But they can't be arsed to lock their cars, or computers or not share passwords for no good goddamn reason.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

chin up everything sucks posted:

Do I need to go into another rant about the clusterfuck that us UBNT's camera system? Because I can do it again, if people still want to use their camera system. After working for them for a brief period, I'm never touching anything of theirs that isn't a wireless AP.

Please do. I bought a couple Ubiquiti switches, USG, and cloud key, thinking that I'd probably need them to power and control their special snowflake cameras.
I haven't bought the cameras yet.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Put one of these in his office and point them straight at his head

I've often wondered how long it would take Secret Service to track down someone aiming microwave dishes directly at the oval office (including time to realize that it's not just an AC malfunction), and why nobody has attempted it before.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

quote:

Subject: How Often Does Cisco Scan for Viruses?
Request Detail: I need this info asap for DMV use agreement purposes. Is it weekly? Please confirm. Thanks!

I have literally no idea what the gently caress she is talking about. We have Cisco switches and ASA's but that's about it :shrug:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Weedle posted:

We have every user’s password in an Excel spreadsheet. The password to the Excel spreadsheet is the surname of the former director of the school. Kill me.
I'm sorry but what the gently caress? :psyduck: I understand all those words, but WHAT?

larchesdanrew posted:

Bossman just spent two solid days literally screaming at me every ten minutes about how the new copy management company I chose last year has ended up costing us twice our allotted budget for copiers and we're only halfway through our budget year. He's demanded a meeting with our sales rep and the regional manager so they can go over what they've been charging us. He's chewed me out in multiple closed door meetings for not keeping an eye on our copy usage. He's lambasted me for my poor planning and inability to make good decisions.

No matter how many times I run the numbers, it doesn't add up. There's no way. I've run copy reports and print reports. I've organized everyone's printing history and graphed it all. I've compared average prints per month for the last five years. Nothing is out of the ordinary. The company is charging us too much and I didn't catch it. I'm a fuckup.

That is, I would be had the executive assistant not hosed up her excel document that is now counting charges from this company three times per line instead of just, I don't know, once?

I'm expecting a bigly public apology tomorrow or I'm walking.

Sooo did he just never look at the bill/invoice or what? Can anyone just walk up to him and say ridiculous poo poo that disparages you and he'll take it as fact?
"larchesdanrew takes up too many parking spots!" "I literally cannot work because my daughter's ipad can't connect to the wifi!" "he ruined my space shuttle launch!"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Apology never came, the new drama is that our state re-accreditation is here; well, it was here weeks ago but they haven't finished the paperwork yet. They apparently do this every ~5 years, I think, and there's an "accountability committee" that meets weekly to discuss and prepare everything for this accreditation. Of the 200+ reports that are included in this, one is apparently a technology plan. In the 2.5 years I've been working here, this has never once been mentioned to me. This report is being submitted this weekend.

Boss comes blasting into my office this morning ranting about how we're going to take a huge hit because I haven't submitted a technology plan, and demanding that I go back through all the documents that my predecessors left to see if any of them have a technology plan on file since 2011. All I can find is paperwork to start a technology plan committee in 2013 that never got completed.

So, now I'm apparently responsible for a plan that none of the three previous TCs did any work on and that was not mentioned to me until it was the day before they're submitting it.

Seriously, gently caress this place right to death. I can't wait to get out of here.

Just create a 200 page word document from a template that is filled with jibberish.

Somewhere in the middle just put "Plan: Fire my rear end in a top hat boss."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

RFC2324 posted:

All work and no play make larches something something.
Plan: SCP-1543-J

IMPACT ALERT.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
What would give you that idea?

https://twitter.com/SwiftOnSecurity/status/973916018996400128

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SEKCobra posted:

How do you misplace 20 of your high-end hardware?! I get not knowing where all those FE Netgear switches have disappeared to, or where all your DDR2 ram is, but loving 10G Fibre modules?!

We've got at least 10 of each of these doing absolutely nothing. Every once in a while I find them floating around in the wild. We spent a small fortune to procure them, only to find out that we couldn't get them working so we bought different modules.

Oh well?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

DigitalMocking posted:

I present without comment:

"Provide Engineering with a Linux machine they can configure as needed to satisfy current and future requirements for Engineering-specific network services on the internal <COMPANY> corporate network.

The initial need is to have an official, backed-up location for the new <COMPANY> Internal Vagrant (Virtual Machine) Cloud. This service is currently provided by an nginx http daemon running on a Raspberry Pi 3 in <USER>'s cubicle. The level of configuration detail and the agility with which changes need to be made require this machine to be administrated by Engineering."

We are a 350+ person company. This request was approved.

Buy them a second raspberry pi.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The scan the QR code to get the image, which you can embed in a pdf and save.

Here we go again!

e: I think this is where it ended

oh wait!

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 24, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
oh man now yall have me combing the archives for nostalgia.

:allears:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=560&perpage=40#post445983555

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
lol holy gently caress. our Sr SysEng just accidentally deleted our NetApp's service account. Whoops.

LOL HOLY gently caress THEN HE DELETED ALL OF OUR SHARES. GODDAMNIT

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sormus posted:

Its an Albany expression

Can I see it?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Renegret posted:

Just last month, I realized I had been using a 100mbps home router for the past three years.

I get 300mbps service

I work in networking :negative:

This only upsets me because I spent 3 months on the phone drat near every day with Comcast trying to get my "Gigabit" speed internet working. I told them it was probably a configuration issue at the local switch station.
Also wasted 8 vacation days on having a tech come out to my house and replace the same cable over and over. One dude actually looked at my modem and said "did you buy that from us?" I told him "no, and don't even begin to suggest it might be the modem, I've tried 4 modems." He turned out to be pretty cool and was genuinely curious about general networking knowledge. He even started asking questions about how to do his job when I explained that the modem signal graphs don't tell the whole story. he should also check the CTMS at the local switch point and see what he's getting for Upstream stats; ICFR, SNR and Rx -db.

When it did work (which was maybe 4 hours out of a whole day), it was only 50mbps. When they downgraded me to 300mbps it was still only coming in as ~50mbps.
I would have just said gently caress it and left it at 100mbps but I was only getting 2mbps upload, and I just spent a lot of money on a whole bunch of Ubiquiti equipment and a rack and stuff to build out a really nice home network and I'll be damned if I was going to give up at that point.

Eventually Comcast figured out that it was ~*SURPRISE*~ a misconfiguration at the local switching station. They put me on a new port and everything was magically all better.

Now I have Gig down and a BLAZING 30mbps upload speed :smug:
I'm not even going to attempt to run backup jobs from my NAS to an S3 bucket. I'm just backing everything up to a couple HDD's and mailing them to a family member.

I would have told Comcast to gently caress off and gotten a 4G hotspot instead but the wife wants to watch broadcast TV :smithcide:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

stevewm posted:

Your assuming they have any internal communication at all. Given my many interactions with Comcast, I can only assume they don't.

Tech showed up at my house to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
Another tech shows up 30mins later to bury my cable. I said, "sure, go for it." They immediately left.
First tech comes back 3 hours later and asks me where my cable is buried. "What the gently caress? you just said you were here to bury it 3 hours ago! It's not buried. It's laying in my yard right there." He leaves again.
Second tech comes back and says that he can't bury the cable because it's on the wrong side of the house. Whatever the gently caress that means.
A third tech shows up, and just starts trenching around my house. I come out and ask him who he is and what he is doing.
"I'm with Comcast I'm here..." I interrupt with "let me guess you're here to bury my cable?" He loving buries it!
A fourth tech shows up after the cable is buried and says, "I'm here to fix your internet." I told him I have no loving clue what he's talking about and send him on his way.
An hour after the third tech left the second tech comes back and says they're gonna have to drill a hole in my house and run the cable inside all the way across. I say, "what cable?" and he scratches his head looking for the cable that he could swear was just there a few hours ago.

I call Comcast about the 40bajillion loving visits I've had from their techs that day to find out what the gently caress is going on.
They tell me that they have no idea what I'm talking about, there's nothing scheduled, and that I need to schedule an appointment if I need to have my cable buried. Their next appointment availability is in 3 months.

I never saw that first tech again...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jonny Nox posted:

Who in 2018 even uses CDs as part of their daily workflow?

quote:

Disk access mouse cursor?

Archives of Bonzi Buddy Cursors

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I think I just got reprimanded for admitting that something is broken...

So, like when someone says "hey what's wrong? Is <thing> broke? what am I supposed to say? No :tif:?"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Hooray Friday!

Network Eng is on vacation today after making some changes to the DHCP range on the VPN tunnel late last night.
I come in this morning and none of the phones work.
But they all have IP's.
Looks like there's no route from the network the phones are on, to the network the phone server is on.
tracert...
oh hey look at that they're not using the VPN
oh hey look at that the tunnel is using a subnet mask that doesn't include the new dhcp range
Well played network dude. Enjoy your vacation. :sun:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

"I made huge changes overnight, barely documented, validated nothing and I'm turning my phone off for vacation as soon as I send this, have fun!"

Those are the best

"Gotta keep you on your toes"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Judge Schnoopy posted:

We have a specific operating rule named after two engineers, the 'James Frank Rule', that urges people to not make changes before going on vacation. I think you can guess what those two engineers did to earn the title.

Everybody is constantly reminded of the rule if they plan on any time-off.

To be fair to the Engineer in question... He was out sick, and came in to do whatever my boss BEGGED him to do before going on vacation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
An email came in...

Good on the user who didn't just blindly click the link :3

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Email came in:

quote:

I think I may have clicked a bad facebook link on my phone. Could I have my phone scanned for virus?
:allears:

I replied telling them that they can just factory wipe their phone, but does anyone know of legit Android antivirus software? Is Trend Micro any good?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Holy poo poo I just got a good one.

User's Samsung phone is sending the same emails over and over literally hundreds of times. Recipients are calling her and letting her know that they just received the same email from her about 100 times
I check the outbox and sure enough there they are still stuck in there because attachments are too large. But clearly, the emails were sent.

Another user (confirmed) and possibly a third, just had the exact same problem.

I saved all the emails in the outbox to the drafts folder to clear out the outbox and hopefully that fixes it, but LOL at Samsung's email client making GBS threads the bed and spamming a bunch of people.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Johnny Aztec posted:

to make, watch, or discuss someone getting caught with it at work?

Well if this is my last job it's all three and then he shows you his brand new RealDoll (except it's not the whole thing, it's only a cloud).

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Agrikk posted:

*scratches needle across a record* wait. What?

Your boss showed you a real doll? You can’t do a set up like that and not, you know, deliver.

Well not a whole real doll. Just a butt. Apparently the whole thing was a little too expensive and not portable enough. Just the butt was the 'best value'.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

If I have a wire and it needs to plug into something then I'll terminate an outlet. If there's no space for an outlet then I'll punch it down into one of those inline sockets. Crimping can gently caress right off.

Crimping stranded wire for patch cables is cool and good.
If it's solid core then just punch it down to a jack and shove it in a surface mount box or something and use a patch cable from there.
Crimping solid core wire is awful. Also, having to use those terrible through-end rj-45 connectors. Those things are the worst. Even if you have the special tool designed for YOUR BRAND of end, it still won't do a perfect job every time and you'll wind up with lovely crimps.

I mean honestly, I've never seen so many "oh my god I'm afraid of cables" posts in one place.
Then again I suppose it's one of those 'to each their own' sorts of things. I honestly like doing structured cabling. It's easy and mostly mindless once you get the hang of it. Once you get all 500 cables pulled into the switch room it's very much a ~*headphones on, world off*~ sort of job. Then once they're all punched down to the dozen or so patch panels you can get to work making your own custom length patch cables.

As for the fluke toners... for the most part they're nothing special. At least not compared to any other brand. If you can find one that has an indicator light then go with that. But for the most part they're all the same. I'm partial to my Greenlee because the probe is really good at mitigating interference. Although having the cable tester built into the toner/probe like Fluke does is sort of nice.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

I can't tell you how many times the garbage toners will happily light up but data still will not pass through a jack, as soon as I have the tech punch the jack down again magically it starts working.

gently caress those cheap rear end blinky light testers, punch the god drat jack down again like I'm paying you to do.

Yeah if I'm paying someone to run cable, then they're gonna provide me with a cut sheet and certify each drop.
If even a single one of those turns out to be hosed, they're coming back and fixing it. Net 30 means I have plenty of time to test them myself or at least find out accidentally if anything is hosed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Entropic posted:

Another ticket came in from this client who kept reporting the same kind of issue for what seems like a year: they have a voicemail module they call in to to set who is on-call for the night, and it supposedly doesn’t work half the time for one of the options. They call in, hear a menu that says “press 1 to put Alice on call, press 2 to set Bob on call, press 3 to set Carol on call” etc with like six options. You press 2, you hear a recording say “Bob is now on call” and then it disconnects, and now when you call the after-hours line it should forward to Bob’s cell phone.

They kept reporting intermittent issues with this system and we’ve double-checked and tested the programming a bunch of times and it always seemed to be set up just fine when we tried it.

I finally figured out the actual problem today and it’s super dumb.

The way it set up in Voicemail Pro, the “X is now on call” recording is actually the prompt on the node that does the variable change.

If you hang up before a prompt is done playing, VMPro doesn’t actually do the associated action.

One of the “x is now on call” recordings had like 4 seconds of silence at the end of it.

I hate phones. I hosed up and one day told like 20 users to come in to see me for help entering their new passwords on their phones so they could access their email. Not that I hadn't instructed them how to do it before; I even made a nice 30 second phone-friendly video and word doc and sent it to everyone to show them how but for whatever reason these people were too inept / lazy to do it themselves. Some have had tickets open for as long as 8-10 weeks.
Anywho, I had free cycles one day that week because I was just working on contract stuff so I knew I'd be glued to my desk.
Almost everyone came in and had their AD passwords reset (surprise they never use computers apparently) and entered on their phone's email client.

Cue 60 days later when I receive 20 voicemails from the same people saying they're coming in to have me 'fix their phone'.

FML what have I done??? :gonk:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
A ticket came in.

quote:

Tricky links below?

"There has been a constant increase in internet-account credential (usernames and passwords) theft. Those same credentials are often used to access other accounts. In response to this, we are requiring a password reset and will be incorporating a regularly-scheduled, forced password reset into our normal operating procedures. Users will need to reset their passwords when logging into ShareFile. We believe this is an important step to continue to help our customers use our solutions securely.
If you have not recently reset your password, you may need to do so by clicking here.
For help about how to reset your password, please click here."

It appeared to come from a legit Citrix email so I asked the sender to let me take a look at the email header info. Then my boss intervened and said it is clearly a phishing scam and that the user must permanently delete the email at once.
Well it's not a phishing scam. It's just a terrible email.

e: and as punishment for pointing out the fact that he was wrong I am now being told to investigate "how they could have their company email to sign up with ShareFile"

double edit: case closed

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 5, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

MF_James posted:

Oh hey thanks, we just got a ticket for this from a client as well, of course our T1 the client relations manager (why aren't they calling the loving helpdesk, it's your god drat job to tell them to call the helpdesk) copy/pasted the email contents but didn't bother to attach the email to the ticket or get the original email to anyone in any way so we could look at it.

gently caress the number of times I've asked for the email to be sent only to have it forwarded a dozen times...
gently caress the number of times I've had to teach the same person how to attach an email....
gently caress the same people who do it every goddamn time and why the gently caress are they the only ones who get and report phishing attempts?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sirotan posted:

https://www.knowbe4.com/phish-alert

This works even with the free version, I believe.

I've been trying to make the case for KnoeBe4 for quite some time now, but to no avail.

mythicknight posted:

Anyone log all their SIP router messages to a log server or appliance for record keeping?

Too often when a problem happens its a bitch to try and retest and trace things and hope it happens again when just having the messages when the problem happened in the first place would do wonders.

yup.
/var/log/asterisk/sip<date>.log
...well sometimes. we weren't doing it at all. then we were asked why not? then some poo poo broke (unrelated) then we were told to turn it off because ~obviously~ it was too much for the system to handle. Then some poo poo happened and we were asked why we weren't logging... rinse, repeat.

e: alternatively /admin/config.php?display=logfiles in the freepbx admin page.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 5, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
We have some live streaming encoder appliance / service for meetings. Apparently somebody unplugged it from the network, then plugged it into the wrong portentirely the wrong network device.
I figured out the problem, got it back online before the meeting, asked the person responsible for running the meeting if everything was good, got a thumbs up, and left.

An hour after the meeting started I apparently got an email saying that poo poo is broke, but I missed it because I was parked in traffic for the last hour and a half and didn't see it until I got home. Protocol is to call the helpdesk if poo poo is hosed. Also protocol is that there is no such thing as an 'urgent meeting support ticket'.

Then I got this gem:

quote:

I request that someone who knows what they are doing be assigned to make sure the video feed works for every meetings since it seems we will be meeting in the community center for a measurable part of 2019. I need to be able to tell everyone that they have a reliable place to view meetings on the web.
CC'd was everyone up the chain, from my boss onward. I just replied "well it worked when I left, but I agree. We should probably hire a contractor to babysit your meetings." The dig here is that my whole department is already overworked. I'm not getting paid to deal with this poo poo, and I'm slated to lose almost 100 hours of vacation when the new year rolls over and really I just don't give a gently caress about this petty poo poo anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Methanar posted:

I found the problem.

I'm on call so I'm supposed to be watching my email this week unfortunately.
Actually, who am I kidding? I would have seen it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bitterandtwisted posted:

Do you get paid in leu for that or are they stealing 12 days of wages from you?

well that's what my boss has promised me.
I could have him file a memo with HR to extend my vacation cutoff till the end of February, but he refused to, saying that he is trying to get it paid out instead because "we are just too busy."

On the flip side I put in for a bunch of vacation days in November and December way back in August but the majority of them got denied "because someone else has already taken that day off." The policy has always been that 2 people can take off and I didn't see a single one in the calendar so I thought I was just getting my chain jerked. I tried again recently to take a couple days off next week and was told again that we're too busy. BUT then the helpdesk guy put in for 2 of those same days and got them immediately. WHAT THE gently caress?! I want to confront my manager and boss and stand up for myself but I already know how that's going to turn out. I'll get a mix of "you're too important right now, we can't operate without you... you're irreplaceable and we need you" followed immediately by "by the way we're putting you on a performance improvement program and probation as a means to strongarm you into sitting the gently caress down and shutting the gently caress up."
I just watched 2 other people go through the same thing amidst our dept already being woefully short-staffed and 2 other people quitting.

Geemer posted:

hfgjhgjhgSounds to me like you've got roughly the rest of the year off.

Considering holidays, it's not even 80 hours left in the month. Now I have an ace up my sleeve if I wanted to really say "gently caress you" and just take off. I had a baby back in July and I've still got FMLA covering any leave I might need to take. I COULD just take off, claim FMLA and be completely covered, but I have a feeling I'd be facing months of negative performance evaluations and terrible 1 on 1 meetings and performance improvement programs.

I just need 18 more months and I get my pension. I think I'm going to start a countdown calendar.