Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

MrMojok posted:

e: I think they compromised the user accounts whose voicemail password had never been changed from the default “12345”

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

JackOfferman posted:

battered wife syndrome post

Get the gently caress out.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
I present without comment:

"Provide Engineering with a Linux machine they can configure as needed to satisfy current and future requirements for Engineering-specific network services on the internal <COMPANY> corporate network.

The initial need is to have an official, backed-up location for the new <COMPANY> Internal Vagrant (Virtual Machine) Cloud. This service is currently provided by an nginx http daemon running on a Raspberry Pi 3 in <USER>'s cubicle. The level of configuration detail and the agility with which changes need to be made require this machine to be administrated by Engineering."

We are a 350+ person company. This request was approved.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Super Soaker Party! posted:

While this is of course utter and complete bullshit, can you at least tell "engineering" something like "listen here fuckos, here's your VM, and I've got it backed up regularly. The sum total of support requests you can make to me regarding this VM is A) can you reboot it or B) can you restore a backup from a specific date. I will summarily ignore any and all other requests pertaining to it because as I'm sure you can understand I have no knowledge of how it works and will not be responsible for any issues it has".

I mean that assumes you have management backing you on that, which considering the request was approved may not be the case, but yeah it's not worth being loving responsible for other people's crap on top of them shoving their crap on your infrastructure in the first place.

Currently dealing with a very similar situation - rear end in a top hat developer started up a MongoDB instance on his desktop machine because and I quote "it has an SSD and is faster than the server", which while possibly true (currently their VM host server only has spinning disks) doesn't mean you loving set up production infrastructure on your desktop, it means we need to get flash storage if that's the requirement. And the database borked itself this morning - rear end in a top hat developer was fired a few weeks ago which on the one hand I approve of, but on the other it means the rest of the developers are trying to push that pile of poo poo on us to fix, which.....no. :fuckoff:

I shut the system down, since they decided our corporate DNS was too slow, so they'd turn on mDNS which caused a host of other VMs in the infrastructure to lose connectivity at intermittent times over the afternoon.

I've kicked the requirements back over to the BA team explaining which requirements are unacceptable and what pieces are missing.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Digitalmocking
Friday ‪03:55 pm‬
I am shutting this server down until the server role and it's impact on production can be assessed.

gently caress them.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

A ticket came in: Hey, Helpdesk, this pesky error message came in again.

Just tell them to use Sharefile.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Volguus posted:

A lot of developers in this world are writing programs to replace years and decades old excel spreadsheets that have reached their EOL. I know I wrote my share. Some spreadsheets/processes are harder to replace than others though.

In TYOOL 2018 at a company that has a full Dynamics CRM, AX, Experlogix and a fully staffed Power BI team, we still do sales forecasting/historicals off of some god awful beast of a spreadsheet that requires an OLEDB connector.

also got this from the $CFO last night: "I would like to meet with you on a confidential matter tomorrow." :eek:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Exodor posted:

All this talk about cabling makes me very happy that Oregon requires a license for that sort of thing.

Sorry, boss - I can't wire that office expansion, we'll have to get a licensed vendor to do it!

gently caress punching down cables forever.

I'm making both of my guys get certified just because of that :p

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in from my favorite Engineer:

"I propose we implement a simple, dhcp-client-side, early warning system that would broadcast DHCPDISCOVER requests, compare the response packets with a list of known, expected mac/ip addresses, and email Engineering@company.com when there are mismatches.
This test process would run on a dedicated linux box sitting on the corporate network, perhaps a raspberry pi that can be easily cloned and placed on the various corporate subnets that have different DHCP servers. It would be started by a cron job once every 15 minutes. The job itself would probably be a python script that uses either dhcp-probe linux package or scapy python package.
The subject line of the email would never change, so although we may all receive 4 emails for every hour that the issue is not resolved, these will naturally collect together as a conversation in outlook. Regardless, the utility and awareness that this early warning system provides outweighs any negative feelings about bot spam.
I am filing this issue with IT so they let me know if there are already any such efforts afoot, and whether they have feedback about the implementation of this system, or want to do it themselves. Perhaps IT would choose to solve this problem for us once and for all by setting up DHCP snooping and using server-side scripts"

DigitalMocking fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 29, 2018

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Jaded Burnout posted:

Nah he wants job security.

oh no, he doesn't want to do the work.

He wants IT to deploy several dozen raspberry pi systems throughout our company all sending email when a rogue DHCP server gets plugged in by some dummy.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The part that is confusing me is he thought up the monstrous solution that will cost money and time and break in 3 seconds, then proceeds to mention DHCP snooping which sounds like what he wanted all along?????

I should find his ticket about "Improving our VPN for Linux Users".

It really was his magnum opus.

It was at least 500 words long.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Sirotan posted:

It's called neighbor spoofing and answering one of those calls confirms to the spammer than your number is valid and then they'll start using it to spam other people. I got a few calls from people asking why I called them, did some research, and now never answer my phone.

If a number that calls me isn't in my contacts, I don't answer.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

mythicknight posted:

Anyone log all their SIP router messages to a log server or appliance for record keeping?

Too often when a problem happens its a bitch to try and retest and trace things and hope it happens again when just having the messages when the problem happened in the first place would do wonders.

For quite a while I was sending all the logs from our SBCs to a central Graylog server. It was never useful, so I just stopped bothering.

Now I call my SIP provider and bitch at them any time there's a call problem on their end, which is rare enough that I just don't care.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"<Location> is experiencing high lag when executing normal operations, can someone take a look at the infrastructure to see if there is any issues.

I personally notice the lag on Aos1 and Aos2 servers."

No, there's no problem with the servers.
No, there's no problem with the storage.
No, there's no problem with the network.

There's never been a problem with the servers, storage or network. Maybe it's your monolithic, poorly programmed piece of poo poo ERP system.

But please, open another loving ticket asking if it's the network or servers again.

please.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Agrikk posted:

It’s DNS

I am so loving triggered right now.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Now in the correct thread!

We have an ask by engineering to rebuild a test environment. They want a forest with two sub domains, each set up with S4B, one with at least 4 front end servers, and then a sub-sub domain under the second also with S4B. They want to just let Windows update patch all 25 servers including S4B.

This is why the last environment fell over and it needs to be rebuilt, the old admins handed it over and it was never patched properly...

that should take like 4 hours, tops?

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in: We'd like to virtualize this one really memory and processor hungry app 225 times.

:aaa:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

iospace posted:

But why?

The reason is valid.

We run dynamics AX 2012R2 for our ERP. It's *incredibly* sensitive to latency and maintaining 220 end user client versions has been a nightmare.

I totally support the project, but the ignorance of what something like that will cost just makes me grouchy.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"My Gmail connector doesn't work in outlook, I use my gmail account for business quite often. PLEASE ASSIST!!!"

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

kensei posted:

Hahahahahaha

Marketing or a Sales person, or is it one of the support engineers?

Sales of course.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Rhymenoserous posted:

lmao no what the gently caress are you drinking? Teams is goddamn awful, the only saving grace it has is it's better than skype for business.

Teams is a great platform. The integrations, meetings, codecs, history, multi-platform capabilities all make it pretty loving great.

Just because you have a stick up your rear end about it doesn't make it bad.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"I'd like IT to install <random VPN software> on my computer because I'm going to China and want to get around their firewall."

No.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Arquinsiel posted:

So... uh...

Why is everyone assuming that the user's trip is for business and not just them being a poo poo and wanting the company to foot the bill for their Facebooking the Great Wall?

It's a combo trip! He's there for a week for business (which he doesn't need VPN) then there for two weeks for personal time!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
A ticket came in:

"I cannot dial-out. It is frustrating as I need to make many phone calls today. I have to onboard someone via phone in 30 mins. Same message as prior. HELP NEEDED."

A response was sent:

"As stated clearly in the 3 company wide incident emails this morning, and as a response to your previous ticket for the same issue, no one can make outbound calls in the entire company. This is not just impacting you, the problem is a global Microsoft issue."

I'm probably going to hear about that one and catch some finger waggling from my director.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

tactlessbastard posted:

I’ll submit a ticket that goes verbatim 'new user X has changed jobs and needs his permissions set to match existing user Y’ and an hour later someone will message me on Teams saying ‘This is regarding ticket blah blah, are you still having your issue?'

your security is bad if you're doing "permissions like person" tickets :(

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

guppy posted:

I don't do stuff like this at all, so this doesn't directly affect me, but how else do you handle stuff like that in large organizations where people don't know each other? Say Bob leaves and Jane is coming on board to replace him and they reach out to their local helpdesk person to ask for Jane to have the same permissions Bob had. The local person has to ask someone who can handle that to make it happen, and they aren't going to know what Jane needs or how any groups are set up. What's the "right" way to handle that situation?

You need to have role based permissions. The problem is, if Bob has been at the company for years, he's moved jobs and had all kinds of security permissions over time, and along comes Jane and inherits everything Bob ever had because of tickets like this, and you wind up with a really broad attack vector for more and more accounts that just gets wider the more this happens.

My company still does this for some roles that we just don't have documented. When I came on board as an engineering manager the helpdesk copied all the permissions of one of my senior engineers giving me admin access to almost everything.

I don't need or want that level of access, and it took months to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

guppy posted:

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I don't really touch anything involving user accounts and that whole side is pretty opaque to me.

It's very common, it takes a lot of work to properly design role access.