Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
A ticket came in requesting alternative QLogic Card Specs.

No problem pull up the website for our major networking communications provider and ... QLogic's site is down due to a mis-configured firewall. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

ratbert90 posted:

My dude,

I know you are a single parent, but you need to move. Your location is toxic and has no job prospects. I had to to this 3 years ago and it changed my life for the better.

This.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

How many kids have you guys moved away from, personally? How about we think about that before telling this guy to ditch the strongest connection to another human being you can have.

dragonshardz posted:

E: Reading rest of thread, yeah, poo poo - I understand not wanting to move away for the sake of your kids but on the other hand it doesn't do them much good if you lose your poo poo or, god forbid, off yourself.

Pretty much this. And yes I took it into consideration hence what Ratbert said. Being under a parent that is worn down and struggling is no good for your kids. And I've been under 3.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

EoRaptor posted:

Intel admitted the microcode updates they had pushed out could cause the CPU's to corrupt memory and crash, so pulled them. All the OEM's followed suit. Intel is 'working on a fix'.

In all seriousness, I would like to see this announcement

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
I found it.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/intel-security-issue-update-addressing-reboot-issues/

and then

https://newsroom.intel.com/news/root-cause-of-reboot-issue-identified-updated-guidance-for-customers-and-partners/

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Seriously, look up your local newspaper, find out who regularly writes the education/school stories, and give them a call. They will love to hear about this.

The only reason I'd not do this is because it sounds like said director is smear campaigning Larches and if said paper goes to someone else for a second account, Larches might get thrown under said bus... mainly cause of this line:

larchesdanrew posted:

Emails complaining about the new web filter come in daily to my boss, with a majority of students claiming that "no one likes or trusts Mr. Larchesdanrew." My confidence and feeling of self-worth has never been higher.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

If the superintendent knew someone he thought would do the job for less money, he'd have canned Larches already. But as it turns out, the man can't even hire a loving school secretary*.

Besides, my understanding is as much as staff are getting frustrated with Larches, they still hate the boss even more. A reporter asking "so how about that expensive trip to Chicago your boss just took?" isn't going to be met with "well it's because our IT guy is such a huge jerk!"

*I'm not maligning school secretaries; they can do a hell of a lot of good for schools. But it still speaks poorly that he can't manage to fill a position that doesn't have licensure requirements or even require a college education.

Fair point. Find a bus with deflated tires then to throw him under.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Fortis posted:

... No.

Seymour! The Buffalo NAS is on fire!

Malek fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 24, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

GreenNight posted:

There is a new condo building across from the main office, and one of the new wifi networks broadcasting is called "sendnudes". Now HR is throwing a huge fuckoff fit telling us we need to block all equipment from seeing this SSID.

Have you tried sending nudes?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

RedMagus posted:

Today in "Why you should check your software patches on a test domain before rollout":

our software deployment team rolled out a Malware Bytes update (ie: just let it pull from the update server from the actual company) and it completely hosed DNS on all the machines on our network. So we helpdesk grunts are seeing call hold times of 10+ minutes while we manually remote into each device and remove the software, and hope SCCM doesn't reinstall it tonight.

at least we're getting catered lunch? I hope it's not pizza

Wait... didn't this happen before back in 2014 or something?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

AlexDeGruven posted:

I think it was longer ago than that, but worse. McAfee flagged svchost.exe as malicious on an update and a fuckton of places auto-updated in the middle of the day and royally shat the bed.

No this was Malware Bytes and they pulled the update within about an hour of putting it out. It was kinda "Wow" but they had a great response.

It was 2013 actually according to my emails... so... OH here it is

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/malwarebytes-news/2013/04/yesterdays-database-update-issue/

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Renegret posted:

On the other side, we have an interviewee who's applying for a network position and doesn't know what ARP is.

You mean like Diablo or Torchlight?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

nexxai posted:

After months of seriously difficult negotiations, the MSP that I own (Experiant; we run the anti-ransomware FSRM site that seems to be pretty popular) merged with another, much larger MSP on February 1.

Does that count?

Are they keeping up the FSRM site? I've given that to quite a few customers.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

RadicalR posted:

Sounds like you need to talk to lowtax! Please do the needful!

Spoke to Lowtax and got some stuff installed on the backbone network.

Malek fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 13, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Needing to find something better.

I have no cloud but I must :toot:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
fsrm.experiant.ca

RIP :(

EDIT: Praise Nexxai!

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 18, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
iSCSI over Wifi then?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Weatherman posted:

:stonk:

Why... why would you say something like that? I'm not going to sleep tonight.

I assure you, my customers have said worse ideas.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

The original :getout:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
You don't have FMLA? I noticed you said you ran out of PTO.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Renegret posted:

My department is the only one with the ability to reopen tickets or modify already closed ones.

I promise I only use this power for evil, and occasionally petty spite.

Our ticket system is balls and we reopen it if we get an email and decide it's worth reopening.
Also I don't think it's about the last word, it's about "I'm going to respond to let them know I got their email."
I like thank you emails. Had a customer call me "bruddah" once. Made my day.

Malek fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jun 23, 2018

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Knormal posted:

Today one of our people got a thumbdrive from another agency that makes any PC you plug it into bluescreen. Neat trick.

So USB bootable Windows Vista then?

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Merijn posted:

Or maybe it just does this. :v:

Oh the NMI function.

I've used this to troubleshoot softlocks.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Just gonna leave this nightmare fuel here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2rhM8YUZY

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

devmd01 posted:

A ticket came in yesterday: “all of the windows 7 machines in AP bluescreened simultaneously”

:psyduck:

It's a sign.
Revelations Win:7

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Ghostlight posted:

QED

Ticket Summary: Update Email Signature for new number
Ticket Details:
​I have a mobile now and need it added to email signature and skype.

Urgency 2 - Moderate

Resolution:
Added provided mobile number to AD profile.

Hours spent: 4

FTFY

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

u brexit ukip it posted:

Our outsourced IT is worse than useless. We put in a ticket for a domain's SSL certificate expiring ten days ago. IT logged this as a "future event" and put it on hold. Cue yesterday when the certificate expired and nothing had been done with the ticket still on hold.

Almost all outsourced IT is worse than useless.
This coming from someone that deals (or rather dealt) with them on a daily basis.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
I quit my job and put in my two weeks last week...

I also bought a cake for my departure. Will post pictures tomorrow (or tonight) when I get it.

No :toot: though. :(

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Served tomorrow...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

PBS posted:

Ha, hopefully they don't take that too seriously.

They won't. I made sure.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

So that’s what you sent me. I thought it was a funny way of saying you were heading back to OK.

That’s way better, though.

Nah this is being served on my last day there. Along with about 24 tamales from this local joint

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Proteus Jones posted:

I was looking for Alderaan and couldn't find it. I'd swear it was right here yesterday.

It's as if a thousand DNS's cried out at once... and were suddenly renewed.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
So the company I quit wants to hire me back as a contractor to work on the tool that helped their front line agents cut calls down by 10 to 45 minutes ... Funny as they wanted me to take calls all day and work on it. The tool is spaghetti code of CSS and JavaScript. I don't know JavaScript but I learned it. :v:

Preparing an invoice as we speak.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!

Thanks Ants posted:

Ah yes fibre channel switch port licensing but for your PC hardware

Nvidia already does something like this.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Not defending them but they claim it was a "bad attempt at humor"

https://mobile.twitter.com/rogueales/status/1101225550062862336

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
Hey everyone.

Our phones have been ringing off the hook since we're technically an ISP but a ton of Carriers are having major outages right now resulting in some massive bullshit going on. Verizon, Cox, Spectrum to name a few.

Not sure what's going on but it's odd to see multiple ISPs having these all at once. Just FYI