Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
A ticket just came in: Please work with Bob to help him use Skype.

Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

CollegeCop posted:

Actually, so far this really is my biggest complaint.

SfB lived happily in the lower right corner of my second screen, happily sharing space with my Call Queue Dashboard, Outlook, and my Avaya softphone. Teams requires twice the space to show the same information. So now I have to totally revamp my window layout and relearn where everything is.

First World IT problems.

Sounds like a business case for an additional monitor. You can never have too many monitors.

https://imgur.com/IoQ5mu8

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jul 8, 2019

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
For whatever reason I have users on one specific floor that are experiencing those issues while the rest of the company is fine :iiam:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I was so glad to hear that when interviewing that the company doesn't dive too deep on the metrics and got rid of some upper management who just made everyone a statistic, which really put a burden on everyone I guess.

I don't see how a manager or upper management would think that ticket counts are any indication of anything except arbitrary numbers.

My last company outsourced everyone based off of monthly and yearly numbers. They also had to go back to in-house less than a year later lol

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

First of May posted:

Do they have scared-straight style classes for password security like they do for drunk divers?

Could probably hire someone full time to be their email user by proxy and when the user says to respond with their bank details the proxy gets to put them in time out or the bathroom and requires C-Level approval to be removed.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I've been stuck in this mostly boring week-long firewall training class and today we were talking about phishing. One of the guys in the class chimed in to say his org sends people home for a day the first time they fall for a phishing attempt, a week for their second, and permanently for their third. He confirmed they had sent people home for a week before. I felt awe and jealousy that my org can't also do this.

But but but how will the company operate and get their profits????

Yeah, I actually like that rule, too.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Antioch posted:

Homeslice just clicked a phishing link 4 times over 10 minutes, then sent it to a couple of his friends who clicked it at least once each, then sent it to us to complain that the "Stupid broken microsoft system" won't let him in to his email

Mass password resets for everyone!

This is after mandatory email security training, where I found that fully 70% of our staff will readily and happily click a link in a plaintext email from support@helpdesk.ru that claims to contain information about our new Pokemon Go policy.

At my last job I worked in desktop support and it was right after PokeGo came out so everyone in my department was playing it. Had a friend send me a neat location spoofer app that tied into PokeGo's API or something. Got a call an hour later from NOC saying there was a virus on a user's PC. My boss had a laugh at that one.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Set up a bunch of workstations with label printers for our production floor and less than two weeks go by without someone knocking the monitor (with desktop attached to a VESA mount on the back) off the cart and breaking them. We have 10 of these set up. Guess I'm going to have to train people how to not break poo poo.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are we talking a separate privileged account? Because then your’d need to do the ‘run as other user’ option.

Having it run as admin will prompt to enter admin creds, or another user that has admin creds.

I do the exact thing opening up AD apps every day. Our department has 2 domain accounts, one being an admin but lol at having to switch users to just use AD

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Arquinsiel posted:

I can think of multiple workarounds that don't involve just giving his normal account the permissionsof the adming account and they are all varying levels of stupid. The least stupid is probably having a VM somewhere that you login to as an admin via RDP session which everyone uses for AD admin tasks.

Or you can just use your domain admin credentials because it's not ridiculous to have both a user account and admin account for each IT staff.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Weaponized Autism posted:

I think we have more VMs than employees at a relatively small company. We should just give every employee their own server, hand 'em out like Oprah.

I was thinking of something like that. We deployed a large amount of HP Elitedesk PCs to both users and as television displays for slideshows or dynamic graphs. Each desktop is like $600-800 and is just using PowerPoint. Feel like we could buy thin clients, point them at a VM and save a bunch of money, nobody agreed with me though :(

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I see that DX Racer chair from every youtuber, I imagine it's not a bad chair unless they're getting paid to use it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just have one of the spring assisted Varidesks with a keyboard tray and it owns. It's kind of big for my office setup but the ability to stand and do the same poo poo rocks.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I know the modmic is well received here but holy hell $80 for something like that seems ridiculous. I feel like mic quality for integrated or webcam based ones is more than serviceable for audio meetings and expensive mics for the purpose of meetings is going the way of the dedicated sound card.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I had never read this before but it's amazing. I'm surprised there's no SAclopedia entry or goldmined thread about this. SA had some awesome personal stories back in the old days. I love reading poo poo like this.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got some great help from Happiness Commando and others that's likely led me to getting an interview for an associate cloud engineer position. It'd be over double what I make right now and I'm currently making more than I ever so... yeah I am excited :)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So after only getting two hits from recruiters in the last two weeks I've gotten 4 this morning alone. And they're all over six figures. I don't know if I actually qualify for these jobs, do recruiters just shotgun interest out there even if people aren't qualified?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Figuring out if you're not qualified is the recruiting organization's job.

Don't do their job for them.

Don't do their job for them.

That established, throw a customized resume to anyone that that seriously wants one. Either you're a good fit, and they'll pay you lots of money (but still potentially less than you're actually worth), or one/both parties will figure it's not a good fit, or as Dirt Road Junglist shows, they know somewhere you will be a good fit.

Any interview can be useful, and not just for the purpose of a new position. Being comfortable interviewing is good, and practicing being interviewed is good! Remember that interviews are a two-way street: You're investigating them as much as they are you. Know how to spot the red flags.

Don't be afraid to bail out. If something isn't right, pull the ripcord. Being able to graciously bow out of consideration is an important skill, too.

Also, I keep a list of automatic "Thank you for consideration, but I'm not interested" reasons. For me they're Contract Positions (even CtH), anything that's not permanently WfH, and certain industries. If the recruiter won't give a comp range, I'm going to assume that it's embarrassing and not worth considering.

Really appreciate the advice here. A part of me does feel that guilt like, "Well geez I'm not sure I'm qualified maybe I should tell..." but then again you're right, I only need to do MY homework. I am meticulous about the companies I work for. Mostly just vet them hard on work/life balance, education reimbursement, on-call policies, etc.

What do you mean throw a customized resume out? Mine is pretty straight forward and the stuff I want to apply for are simply listed as technical skills since yes I have used them before either in my homelab or during school.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Part of your initial research for the organization should be a text copy of the job description. From the description, you'll want to find some key words and phrases. Do the same thing you did for high school essays: Use those phrases liberally in your own submission.

This doesn't mean just copy and paste them directly. Let's say the JD says "We need someone to manage 5,000 Windows endpoints with Intune and Sophos." Your existing bullet-point might be "Secured and administered 2,000 Windows desktops using Intune and Kaspersky." Rewrite it to "Managed 2,000 Windows Endpoints with Intune and Kaspersky". Keep the TRUTH of the point while mimicking their PHRASING. You should be able to draw a straight line from what they want and what you offer.

Customizing will also mean highlighting the skillset listed in the JD and by the recruiter. If you're good on mobile devices and email management, give more weight and bullet-points to your iPhone/Android skills if they're asking for Intune hands. If the JD wants Azure experience, you can bet I'm going to rearraign my bullet-points with Azure at the the top and CyberArk below that.

Beyond that, I'll often dig into the company website to find mission statements and organizational goals to relate to in my resume or cover letter (if necessary).

Honestly, even with the experience and "library" of existing bullet points I budget about an hour or so to tweak a resume for a job I'm really interested in. Each application/resume gets its own folder where I store a copy of the job description and any other supporting documents. Here's another hint: You can take that JD to help flesh out your next LinkedIn entry.

A lot of this is liberally borrowed from Ramit Sethi's Briefcase Technique, and tweaked for the more technical nature of jobs I'm actually interested in.

Awesome, this is all great info that I never thought of, especially saving JDs.

Do you still abide by the general resume layout by doing your contact info, job history/descriptions, education, certs, anything else kind of in that order?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I giggled reading "Korn Shell"

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Yeah, that is loving absurd how expensive that is. I looked into mobile solutions for campers and such and you're better off just using a portable hotspot and getting a prepaid plan, or just going with Starlink.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Keeping computer files for 50 years isn't a small undertaking. It's not on the scale of those nuclear waste long-term warning projects, but it's not just a case of burning some discs and shoving them into storage. Probably every decade you will need to shift onto a new format either to avoid the media degrading or to ensure that modern LTO drives can still read the data. You'll also need to ensure that applications that can read the files are stored with the archives, and probably keep some computers as well. It's then an ongoing project to ensure this all still works, and will involve testing that the archived data can be read.

It's related to a discussion I'm having with my sister at the moment as this is the first generation of parents that are taking pictures of their kids and just leaving them in iCloud, which has the potential to go horribly wrong. All I can really suggest is that she makes use of the various online photo printing sites and stores photo albums in a cool and dry place, because maintaining a digital archive that relies on ongoing payment, accounts not getting compromised, companies not imploding overnight etc. is a lot more work.

I just downloaded all of my stuff from Google after uploading everything to Drive over the last decade or so. What a pain in the rear end managing this all is, and I'm a computer toucher. Can't imagine just regular people dealing with this poo poo. I'd rather not put all of my eggs in one basket and have it just in the open for Google or anyone's cloud service without it being self-encrypted or some sort of E2E encryption. So now I've got two hard drives, a flash drive, and I'm going to have an offsite backup of it somewhere soon I hope.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

xiw posted:

this has been a hard learning for me - i'm walking away from a job after building completely bonkers things on top of saas platforms that fundamentally don't support it, and i'm getting a whole bunch of 'well, you should keep on supporting this after you go because we can't find anyone who can look after it' pressure.

It's kind of a psychological trap for tech people I think because, after all, there isn't much that isn't *technically* possible.

lol tell them to pound sand. What happens after you're gone is their problem. The only thing you should be responsible for is documenting the environment or just making life easier for them after you're gone.

Unless you're trying to sabotage the company's infrastructure you can just let go once you're done.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

If my WFH time starts at 8am, I roll out of bed at 8:30am. Sometimes 9am. Unless someone has me scheduled for an early meeting or pings me earlier on Slack.

I would do this too but my overbearing coworker starts asking where anyone is even its a minute after the hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AlexDeGruven posted:

I think part of the mythology came about during the paper resume era. The idea that a note would bring your resume back to the top of the stack.

It was a pretty silly idea then, and even more now that everything on the planet is electronic.

I just use a number or date at the beginning of my resume file names.