Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My wife and I also watched the chapelles last night, goddamn how many of us did that

I though he was pretty good. I was ready to be outraged when he started talking about transgender people but he actually I think was just really honest, and his main point (that it's funny, sorry, but it is funny) was dead on.

I'm still sick. 100.3 today, wife insisted we call kaiser so now I have a phone appointment with a doctor so he can explain I have a virus and then I'm probably getting a prescription for prescription-strength nyquil or whatever the hell that would be. Also I have that raw throat thing where now I can talk like Barry White; the silver lining to being sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So I supposedly have an upper respiratory tract infection and have been prescribed antibiotics. Over the phone, I guess based on a fever lasting three days. Is this one of those "antibiotics are massively over-prescribed" cases? Also I have three antibiotics allergies so I've got Azithromycin this time, but I'm concerned I'll develop allergies to more and have a dwindling number of effective antibiotics left available to me as I get older.

I guess I'm taking it anyway but it concerns me. I don't have any sinus pressure, and the gunk I'm coughing up isn't bright yellow or green like I'd associate with an infection.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

While you may not have a bacterial infection, based on what you have described the antibiotics are meant to be preventive. Like right now you have a perfect storm for a sinus infection or pneumonia developing. The antibiotics will help prevent that, and may help you get better a bit quicker if a bacterial population has already started its thing.

Are you allergic to three antibiotics in the same class? Like are you allergic to penicillin and therefore most penicillin analogs? That is nothing to worry about, especially since an actual allergy (as opposed to sensitivity) is pretty rare and there are plenty of alternatives. Taking anti-biotics doesn't make you allergic to them (outside of some rare cases). Almost all antibiotic allergies are type 1 hypersensitivity, meaning no prior exposure is required for an allergic reaction to occur.

edit: Also, there is no correlation to sputum color and etiology (bacterial vs. viral vs. allergen induced).

I'm allergic to sulfas (since infancy), Cephalexin, and Clindamycin. The latter I got hives while taking it in 2010 to treat cellulitis from a bee sting. The Keflex was a similar reaction (hives) back in the 1990s while treating "strep throat" where the dr. prescribed antibiotics but then the swab test came back negative, so I didn't need to be taking it at all.

Interesting that it could be preventative prescription. The doctor didn't say that, he said it was to treat upper respiratory infection indicated by the fever, but either way... OK, fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

186 posted:

I'm watching a show about Stonehenge, and everything "possibly holds religious or ritual significance."

Is there anything in archeology that doesn't hold religious or ritual significance, because it sure as hell seems that way.

There's mountains of super boring evidence in archaeology, which is like 95% investigating ancient people's garbage. But that stuff doesn't make it onto TV.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I spent three years in the UK as a teenager and my school did this work placement thing where you spent two weeks interning at a job. You could basically tell them any job you wanted and they'd set up an internship somewhere relevant. So I wound up doing two weeks with the Winchester Museums Service. I spent about a week moving old hosed up ugly corroded coins from tiny paper packets into tiny plastic packets and then copying over the data written on the old packets. That was actually kind of interesting, not because of the coins, but I was in a lab with other archaeologists doing stuff. One dude was like the world's foremost expert on roman-era roofing tile in the UK. He could take a tiny fragment of red ceramic, look at it for ten seconds under his microscope, and then tell you exactly where it came from. Like he knew the names of individual Roman roofing tile makers across a couple centuries of history and knew the exact characteristics of their roofing tiles well enough to not have to check references to be sure.

And that was itself pretty useful because similar to coins, it lets you put a maximum age on the cess pit you're excavating; can't be any older than the youngest roofing tile bits you find in it. It also tells you things about the local economies, that people were buying and shipping roofing tiles from 100+ miles away even when locally-made tiles were also available, presumably for reasons of pricing, style, etc.

Second week I spent on site. In the UK whenever they are going to knock down a building and build a new one in an old city (which is all of them), they pretty much have to let the archaeologists come on site and excavate the site before the new building goes up. So I got to help excavate a roman-era cesspit on the site of a new WH Smiths going up in downtown Winchester. It sounds gross but after a thousand years or more a cess pit is just soil, there's no smell or anything to it, and people lost all kinds of stuff into their toilets, including their pocket change, combs, belts, etc. It was cool learning how to use the equipment to find exact depths of layers, scraping away super thin layers of soil with a trowel, sifting through dried dirt looking for tiny fragments of bone, tile, etc. I never found anything particularly interesting, but it was still a great experience.

Anyway point of all of this: yeah. Archaeologists get excited about finding out what people were eating, what kinds of diseases they were suffering from, when their roofing tiles were made, and all kinds of poo poo like that. But television shows about "the ancients" figure that stuff is way too boring to bother talking about. The closer they can edge towards suggesting, however obliquely, that human sacrifice was involved, the happier they are, because that's what gets the ratings. Failing that, at least some good hard slavery-built monuments, pagan beliefs, and violent wars will get the juices flowing nicely. None of this meticulously determining for how many years this storage room was in use by spending five weeks slowly scraping away every layer of dirt in it nonsense.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I have gone digging for fossils before. Trilobites suck and I'm glad I'm not a paleontologist. And one of my 2018 goals is to make sense of my dad's coin collection. So far I'm finding a lot of Roman coinage. He also has a lot of Filipino coins. The problem is that it's unorganized so I'm having trouble sorting everything. There are notes and documents but it's a drat mess. This is going to be a challenge for sure.

There's a thread for this, of course!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706376
Post photos of anything you've got that you can't figure out and those coin nerds will probably tell you immediately exactly what you've got.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

God drat the heat in my car isn’t working. How is this possible? Don’t cars just shunt engine heat into the cabin?? gently caress...

Yes, they do. Specifically, the coolant system has an extension that runs to a small radiator inside the cabin, called the heater core. There is a valve that opens when you turn up the heat control, which permits the hot coolant to run through the heater core, and then air is blown through it into the cabin.

If your heat is gone, there's a few likely possibilities. It could be that that valve is busted and isn't opening, or, the blend doors that switch airflow from the cold-side (direct air from outdoors) to the hot-side (air blown over the heater core) is stuck. Another possibility if there's no airflow at all is the blower motor has died.

Of course there are other possibilities, I have no idea what car you have, but you could have some kind of electronics malfunction or who knows, but a stuck heater control valve or blend door actuator are the ones I've heard of the most.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah a clog is a possibility although I'd assume the symptoms there would be gradually reduced heating capacity as flow becomes restricted? Maybe not if a chunk of gunk breaks loose somewhere and causes a sudden total blockage.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Is that a real statement? Figured Trump would respond either via Twitter or through Huckabee, instead they released a small essay to reporters?

Trump is incapable of writing those sentences, his grammar isn't that good and he also can't string together three paragraphs that actually make sense and build to a point. So no, there's no possibility that that's a "real statement."

On the other hand, I'm guessing he really told someone roughly what he wanted it to say and they wrote it and he maybe listened to someone read it out loud and approved it, probably.

pubic works project posted:

Next my wife's battery died so I have to deal with that

lol your wife is a battery powered sex toy, or some such similar joke, dohohoho

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After my appendectomy I was stuck in the hospital for a week due to some bleeding and complications. Seven days after the surgery, they finally had me well enough to be allowed to eat, so I had them bring me some broth. It was basically a boullion cube melted in a cup of warm water but it was by far the best soup I have tasted in my life, and nothing will ever, ever top it. Even though I horked it up 10 minutes later, it didn't matter. My wife says I was crying while sipping my soup. My god it was so, so good.

By the way for you guys looking to drop some holiday weight, appendicitus followed by a week of fasting really melts away the pounds.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

swickles posted:

Good god was this like 35 years ago?

11, why?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"quotidian American crudscape" is my new band name

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Probably Magic and Joey Freshwater must now fight to the death

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Relentlessboredomm posted:

^^^ That should be the title of an American retrospective or the subtitle to "The Rise and Fall of the American Empire"

Of all of America's many sins the most unassuming and treacherous is it's total and complete lack of self reflection.

"blame america first" is the most insidious response to any attempt at understanding our mistakes because it implies that even admitting you've ever made a mistake at all is treasonously unpatriotic.

It's a sign of our pathological national insecurity

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

White men are seeing some small fragment of our enormous privilege being eroded away by social progressives. Some view this as an attack.

They are correct. What they do not understand is that the attack is both justified, and - so far - mostly ineffective.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hope the judge rules discriminating against conservatives is perfectly cool and good

That would be lovely but what is more likely IMO is that the judge will rule against the plaintiff's attempt to form a class, or some other procedural error, and it will never progress as far as testing the plaintiff's substantive claims.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Schitt's Creek
Detectorists
The IT Crowd
Portlandia
Archer

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just going back through my "watched" list on Netflix and I'm reminded of a few more:

Black Books
Farscape
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Better Off Ted (ehhh. I enjoyed this but it's not actually all that great)
Peep Show
Father Ted

I found some prior to 2016 where my wife and I didn't have separate profiles, so here's some stuff she liked (but I didn't watch):
Foyle's War
Bitten
Hemlock Grove
MI-5
Supernatural
Wallander
Shetland
Longmire

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

Leperflesh, what's that good chili recipe you shared in either this chat thread or the old one?

You mean my ICSA chili contest entry?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837557

Here's the full ICSA thread which had a bunch of entries
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833926

And here's the best and winning entry, "Advanced Chilosophy"
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837693

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

So, I went ahead and read this instead of getting work done today. It's fairly fascinating. I'll just say my overall impression was that Simpson is an extremely competent guy, his testimony (technically, unsworn interview) is highly credible, and the piss tape is real.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I don’t know anything about the situation what’s foing on?

The main dude at Fusion GPS, Glenn Simpson, was hired first probably by a Republican primary candidate, and then probably the Clinton campaign, to do opposition research on Trump. Articles have characterized Fusion GPS as an "oppo research company" but that is inaccurate: they're a research company that mostly does legal research for corporate clients and legal firms, including firms working for the Justice Department, run by a man who made his career as a journalist doing extensively researched articles about money laundering, corruption, foreign government meddling in the US, etc. Oppo research is a small fraction of Fusion GPS's total type of work. There have also been media reports that his company is a "democrat" oriented one, but this is also incorrect, according to the testimony: his company has done lots of research on behalf of republican clients, including getting an Obama administration official fired based on their research on him.

This interview conducted by a Senate committee seems to have been aimed at understanding exactly what led to the "dossier" of memos prepared by the former MI-6 agent Christopher Steele in the UK, famously including allegations of a piss tape. Senators also repeatedly attempted without success to find out who the sources were, and who Fusion GPS's clients were, even though they agreed before the interview that such information would not be discussed or provided.

Fienstein undoubtedly leaked this transcript to counter the White House's baldly false assertions that the "dossier" was doctored or invented wholecloth, that Fusion GPS is a "democrat" oppo group, and (most obviously false) that Fusion GPS was paid by or directed by the Russians. That last is so obviously and hilariously wrong, given the extent to which Fusion GPS generally and Simpson specifically have spent decades attacking and loving up the Russians, including the Russian mafia, various Russian operatives, Russian oligarchs and their operatives, and Vladimir Putin himself.

Spoeank posted:

Not only that but the fusion people wanted it to be public.

I don't think so. At the end of the transcript, Mr Levy, Simpson's attorney, explicitly and repeatedly tries to get the Senate committee to agree to keep the transcript confidential, which they refuse to promise to do. His concern was for the protection of Fusion and Steele's sources and especially subcontractors and employees, some of whom have received death threats. At one point in the transcript Simpson testifies that at least one person has died as a result of the media attention on the dossier and Fusion GPS's investigation of Trump, although it's not clear to me whether he is referring to a source or an employee/partner/client person. In any case, the transcript has been redacted of the names of those people, so presumably Feinstien's office chose to take Mr. Levy's concerns seriously, although I can't say for sure that having done those redactions, Levy (or his client, Simpson) would then prefer the transcript to be made public.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah the GOP was trying to keep it classified so they could imply stuff was in it that wasn't there

This I think is probably true. Mr. Simpson's testimony is, in my view, quite credible. He comes off as an extremely competent person who has a career interest in being credible and impartial. He repeatedly points out that his type of work product would be useless if it was somehow politically motivated, and that in fact most of his company's work product is verifiable - he specializes in obtaining and presenting matters of public record, like court documents, business filings, tax records, etc. which cant' really be politically slanted, and that most of the rest of his work product is aimed at helping his clients decide what to do about the facts, not try to color the facts to suit some particular predetermined outcome.

I will say that the questions by the Republicans on the committee did not seem to be especially slanted. Of course, there were no cameras present, so probably the Senators weren't instinctively grandstanding the way they do in public testimony.

FizFashizzle posted:

Is 500 bucks for all new brake pads and two new rotors a scam

Apparently the back brakes are trash

That'd be a very cheap and great price for a Porsche, and a fairly high probably overpriced job for a 1992 honda civic. So as with most car "is this price high" questions, it heavily depends on the car.

As an aside, replacing rotors and pads on most vehicles is dead loving easy, and you can do it at home yourself. You need a car jack and at least one jack stand, a socket set with a breaker bar for the lug nuts, and a couple of wrenches for undoing a couple of bolts on the brake calipers. You may also need a c-clamp or similar to compress the brake pistons in order to put in the new pads, although on some cars you can kind of mash in the pistons by hand. The brakes on most cars are extremely simple, robust devices, so it's actually hard to gently caress up this job; it's a great "my first car repair" to try out. Just watch a couple Youtube videos. The main thing you can screw up is dropping your car on you if you do not properly support the car on a jack stand. Park somewhere flat and make sure the jack stand is placed on flat concrete or, if you're working on dirt, use a piece of plywood under it at least a couple feet square. You are very unlikely to gently caress up your brakes or kill you are self doing this.

Brake pads and rotors are usually pretty cheap for most cars. Rotors are so cheap that it's almost never worth having them resurfaced or "turned" - you can get new ones off Rockauto for like under $30 each for a lot of cars.

No Butt Stuff posted:

If you ask someone for 3 words to describe themselves during a job interview, what do you think is the worst answer?

Premier nickelback fan
Manning's college trainer
Di's drunk driver

Taking suggestions here

registered sex offender
NAMBLA fanfic enthusiast
flat earth scientist
trump campaign volunteer

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Guys I'm starting to get worried about Israel going all-out war on Assad. They've got both Egypt and the Saudis in their pocket , and they're attacking targets in Syria daily

This would mean directly fighting Russia. Not a chance. Russia is the #1 reason Assad is still in power, they stepped in and started attacking the rebels a few years ago and totally reversed the tide of the war, ultimately leading to the US and others withdrawing support for rebels to avoid the increasing chance that they'd be fighting a proxy war with Russia. Israel will not get the US (especially this US) government to support a proxy war with Russia over Syria, so they have zero options and will do nothing of substance. Assad is going to win, and be a puppet of Putin, and our opportunity to prevent that from happening slipped away at least two years ago, maybe even earlier.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I guess that's a reversal, then, or maybe Simpson decided to overrule his own attorney's concerns. The request not to release the transcript is part of the transcript and attributed to Mr. Simpson's attorney; it would seem odd to explicitly ask for it to be kept private if they wanted the opposite.

I also think it's worth noting that the article you cite says there were 21 hours of testimony. The transcript that was linked in this thread is of a single day's testimony, less than 8 hours total. If there's more testimony, I haven't seen it. So it may be that Simpson/Fusion GPS were requesting that other, as-yet unreleased testimony to be released, vs. the specific transcript that has been released? I'm speculating.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

They asked for it to be released after republicans began to selective leak portions of it, then asked the DOJ to investigate them as an effort to smear them.

Consider the levels of stupidity and hubris required for politicians to attack and attempt to smear a political opposition research firm. You know... experts at closet skeleton excavation. If Fusion GPS was less professional, they could do some pro-bono research and release it to the press...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

theres also that whole thing where male dolphins will kill baby dolphins in front of their mothers to try and convince her to breed with them

Yup. Dolphins are also enthusiastic rapists.

Also no, opposable thumbs aren't the main or only difference between dolphin and human intelligence or capability. There's all kinds of complicating factors, including the ability to communicate abstract ideas, the use of symbology and metaphor, dietary de-specialization (we are omnivores, dolphins are obligate carnivores), neonatality that permits larger brains than can fit through the modified primate birth canal that is necessarily narrow to support upright stance leading to extended childhood requiring extended communal child-rearing, the lack of a clear fertility signal from females, and various other physical characteristics that make us highly adaptable to different climate zones, it goes on and on.

Most primates have opposable thumbs and many other animals are capable of manipulating tools. If opposable thumbs were the one thing keeping us back from developing civilization, then we have to ask why the other great apes don't have civilization, not to mention most monkeys, elephants, birds, etc. It's maybe true that we needed to become primarily bipedal to allow ourselves to more fully develop tool use, but evidence now shows that we were bipedal animals for millions of years before we developed significant tool use. And we had opposable thumbs for all of that time. Certainly we had at least the manual dexerity necessary to, say, create cuneiform clay tablets.

Modern anthropology largely supports the theory that a number of different aspects of human intelligence and capability developed, in fits and starts, due to a variety of factors, and that it's very difficult to tease out any single factor as being "the key" to allowing the development of civilization. That strongly implies that even though we know dolphins are quite intelligent, we cannot say that "if only they had thumbs" they'd be our equals in intelligence or capability or ability to create civilizations or whatever. All we can say for certain is that they're quite smart, and very different from us.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There are no sharks in this video, nor is there any whale vs. shark action. It's just a diver playing with a whale (which is fine and cool) and then at the very end the diver says "there's a big tiger shark down there."

piss tape israel posted:

Here's another cute animal:

Phidippus are way cuter!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Seriously, jumping spiders own own own.

You can play with them, they see you and recognize you're a thing and will totally orient to watch you. Plus the way they move!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPo8MG1pJ8w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1560DOYU_AY

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 11, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

They are also useful in fighting off Brown Recluses, god I remember that thread about the poor goon who had to live in a apartment infested with them :stonk:

The coolest bug I probably saw was when I was in Utah with the conservation corp and we trained up in Logan and after dinner we had to clean up, well a Tarantula Hawk Wasp decided to fall in the soapy water bin and I got a bunch of lovely cell phone pics of it as it aired its wings out on a plant.

They are really docile mainly because nothing wants get stung by something that feels like you go struck by lightning

I was like triple-taking at this photo because I personally took some very similar photos of a tarantula wasp a long time ago. They're around in CA, I believe I saw a few while hiking on Fremont Peak around ten years ago.

Here's some cropped copies of my photos that I found in a folder marked "critters" for some reason... maybe for the Critterquest thread? I think they're on exactly the same plant!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MrLogan posted:

It would be a huge coincidence if you guys took pictures of the exact same plant. The stems look different in the pictures, so I think you are mistaking the plant for another one of the same type.

I definitely just meant the same species of plant. Not, like, the same individual plant on Fremont Peak! That would indeed be a crazy coincidence.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

Seeing that pic reminded me of right after we moved down to Arizona and my buddy and I were at our kid's football game and one landed on his shoulder. Being from Illinois we didn't even know such monstrosities exist and we all freaked the hell out. Thankfully he didn't get stung because I just watched that video and wow...:stare:

Also why would anyone subject themselves to the most painful insect bites? That's insane!

Yeah I wouldn't do that on purpose.

That said, I found the wasps to be easy to get close to. They totally ignored hikers and were very focused on their business, which certainly seemed to be loving the poo poo out of that flower. I know they gently caress up tarantulas but I'd guess they also enjoy sipping nectar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ehud posted:

What's everyone doing at work today

I'm sitting in accounting working on Sage and Excel issues

I'm supposed to be sifting through our cloud products and assigning a taxonomy to them based on extensibility features, but mostly I'm reading SA and avoiding it because it's super tedious and boring but also requires careful attention to details.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The entire "tiny home" movement refuses to acknowledge that RVs have existed for like nearly a century and they're not doing anything new.

e. Over a century, google says first RV was in 1910.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drew Barrymore was born on the same day as me, so to whatever degree she has become too old to be considered hot, a little part of me dies inside.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Watch ULA launch a rocket into space from Vandenburg on this stream. It's T-0 in about six minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCjIaCBldY

It's a Delta-IV with two tiny SRBs, should be an interesting daytime launch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

poo poo nevermind, another hold, they're going into recycle.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hot Diggity! posted:

No poo poo but gonna state the obvious and point out how incredibly difficult it is to unseat an incumbent much less one of the same party via primary.

yeah the idea Pelosi will get primaried in San Francisco due to this one vote is hilarious

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

are the animorphs animations or do they morph into things or ...?

As a kid I read hardy boys, the three investigators, tom swift, mouse & the motorcycle, and by the time I was ~12 I was onto science fiction (azimov, hal clement), douglas adams, terrible fantasy series like pern, xanth, the myth books (robert aspirin), david eddings, and everything terry pratchett wrote. Thankfully I was probably too old by the time animorphs was a thing. Yeah google says it started in 1996, I was already in my late 20s when you kids were reading that stuff.

lol if you didn't have your teen hormones titillated by dragonriders of pern having sex because their psychic dragons were having sex and it made them super horny

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I remember devouring them as they came out, but I don't remember a single detail from any of the stories. That's true for a lot of the stuff I read as a teen, I used to just plow through four to six novels a week and retain very little of it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No Butt Stuff posted:

I know you're old, but I also know you know what Google is.

Sometimes it's nice to engage in a conversation with people rather than intentionally bypass it. :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did any of you ever read the gritty Hardy Boys reboot in the 90s where one of their girlfriends is killed in a car bomb and later on they get hunted for sport by a bunch of crazed paramilitary guys

I might have seen one or two of those and gotten confused. My stepmom had all her old hardy boys (and nancy drew and tom swift) books so I was reading editions from the 1950s or 60s or something, and I thought the new ones were just reprints until I read one she didn't have and realized it had been modernized.

I'm also just now remembering some series of YA books where a dad builds a robot to be his son, and the robot goes to high school? No idea what it was called or whatever but the robot son had a name that was an acronym I think.

I also remember reading Jack London books and being very affected by them. White Fang, etc. Also My Side of the Mountain made me want to run away and be a teenage hermit, and I read the Little House on the Prairie books and learned that modern people are helpless idiots compared to the bootstrappy old timers who won the west.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fuckin' found it!

Not Quite Human series. Kid's name was CHIP. I was conflating it with a lovely movie in the 1980s called DARYL with a similar premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the mean lunch lady posted:

I read all the Wrinkle in Time books and have absolutely no memory of them at all

:same:

I remember, vaguely, being really upset by a scene in Where the Red Fern Grows, where a kid dies? Or it might have been Rascal, I read both those books around the same time and conflated them.

Also got really scared by The View from the Cherry Tree and Something Wicked This Way Comes.