Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Real bbq is pulled pork with a liberally applied vinegar based sauce, hush puppies and coleslaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I loving hate this new call of duty

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Maybe my reflexes have taken a turn for the worse because I feel like I'm just a millisecond too slow for an arcade shooter

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I spent a long weekend in Belize at some 10 dollar a night hostel filled with eight pretty Australian girls who were all on holiday to find themselves and the most interesting thing that happened was me finding out that holiday in Australia is you can leave for six months and still come back to your job

What the gently caress

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

We just started season 2 and I'm not impressed with the crew. It seems like the final three from the first season would wipe the floor with them

Edit: wow I'm dumb I completely didn't read your second paragraph

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I've been killing orcs and getting poo poo on by kids with faster reflexes in world war two

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Whew

quote:

Major Edit: The patch for Windows is out in the Insider rings, and shows very little impact on most applications and the tested game (Assasin's Creed: Origins).

tl;dr This is very bad. The patch causes performance degradation, but not patching is worse.

Edit: Don't worry about this being exploited for now. There are no known instances of this exploit in the wild.

Here's everything I've been able to find so far:

The issue impacts all modern Intel CPUs. (Edit: It's been confirmed that the latest unaffected CPU is the original Pentium.) According to an AMD engineer, "AMD processors are not subject to the types of attacks that the kernel page table isolation feature protects against. The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault." In short, AMD does not have the bug.

If successfully exploited, it could allow any program running on your computer (including a webpage with JavaScript) to access memory used by the operating system, giving it total control over your computer.

There is a patch in the works for both Windows and Linux that protects against this. However, the patch can cause a large impact on performance. It slows down any "syscalls" - function calls where the program talks directly to the operating system. This includes everything from opening files to communicating over the network; it is almost impossible to write a modern program without them.

The performance impact seen depends on the amount of syscalls the application makes.

Raw number-crunching applications will see very little performance impact, whereas applications that have to talk to the OS a lot can see a large impact.

Raw numbers are hard to find due to the secretive nature of these patches, but here are some basic benchmark impacts we've seen so far:

Linux, on an i7 6700, calling the getpid syscall 100,000,000 times:

Before the patch: ~3.8 seconds.
After the patch: ~15 seconds.
PostgreSQL, a database application, i7-6820HQ, SELECT 1 benchmark:

Before the patch: 420490.162391 transactions per second
After the patch: 350746.065039 transactions per second

Someone has run benchmarks on Linux games, and they can be found here. There appears to be no impact on the framerate whatsoever, no matter which API is used. However, the impact on Windows gaming performance is still unknown.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

No it rules. It's cut with Splenda IIRC.

It does get a weird texture if you leave it out for too long and re-freeze it

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Double post womp womp

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Spoeank tell me about dead water vs alive water

http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-raw-water-obsession-2018-1

🤔 posted:

"It stays most fresh within one lunar cycle of delivery," Singh said. "If it sits around too long, it'll turn green. People don't even realize that because all their water's dead, so they never see it turn green."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Like I understand that this is probably just one Whole Foods carrying this dumb water and some blogger is making a mountain out of a molehill but I hope it's a thing

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

kiimo posted:

Why is anyone appreciative about something being lowfat if it is loaded with sugar

Baby boomers are not smart

Edit the food pyramid was created to subsidize wheat/sugar/grain farmers and should be tilted on its side

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 3, 2018

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Neil Armbong posted:

That boy's a special kind of stupid.

He knows his base

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Why they care so much about Transgender people I will never understand, in their daily life when would they ever meet one?

A Trump coworker of mine asked me about chromosomes and I told him that it's not just binary XX and XY, there's XXX and XYY and so on and he shook his head and left like my MS in biology was from Hogwarts

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I want to read it but I'm afraid I'll get angry instead of amused

"Every Sunday, the president could be found watching the Patriots game. He'd shake his head sadly: 'it really is a shame' Trump says, 'the Patriots never get calls from the refs'"

I'd break my kindle

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Everyone should read books about climbing K2 and the 96 everest disaster

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson is fantastic and will make you forget all about Tr*mp

A guy finds a U-boat off the coast of New Jersey and that's the least interesting thing that happens

Edit: this was before scuba divers started mixing gases to give them more bottom time so it's extra super dangerous

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Between the White House immolation and rumors that the Patriots are having internal strife, maybe there is some good in the world, Mr frodo, worth fighting for

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

But he's run for president before :psyduck:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The stock market is the worlds largest scam. Every time it goes up the average American sees nothing but if it collapses you better believe it's the average joe who gets killed.

But

My

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

TBH if Shumer calls Trump and says okay, okay, we'll fund the wall if you pass Medicare for all, who says no?

other than congressional republicans

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

lol all the people asking for Tabs

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

I feel like I get nothing done during the week with 4-10's though

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Yep. Same doctor as obama but they are reserving the right to hold back data. Get ready for

"President Donald Trump... male... end of report"

I want that BMI and resting heart rate so loving bad

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

Honestly, leaving early is better for the Secret Service and the local police working traffic, especially if he's going to the airport to head back to DC (which he probably is doing). The motorcade can fly down I-85 and Air Force 1 can get in the air before the game ends and the fresh hell of UGA and Bama fans leaving downtown snarls traffic.

Lol if you don't think he's going to Mar a lago

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Is there an idiots guide to learning SQL or Power BI

Like a real idiots guide

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

A huge rear end earthquake just hit off the coast of Honduras and now Belize and Honduras are under a 0.3-1m tsunami warning :ohdear:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

seiferguy posted:

It appears the Awful app doesn't load Twitter images anymore.

Glad it's not just me

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Darrell Issa isn't seeking re-election which makes 33 gop congressmen who have bounced or announced they're bouncing sincr Trump got elected.

So much winning folks :discourse:

Drain. The. SWAMP.

until all that's left is a dry socket brain dead donald j trump

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Some people live too long

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

All my contacts at the EPA have gone dark and I need them for permits. I wonder if order 66 has gone through or what

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Holy gently caress they're making a Total War: Three Kingdoms

As someone in the middle of the very small venn diagram between "total war games are good" and "dynasty warrior games are good", Holy poo poo

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/GreyTheTick/status/950575536748740608

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Thanks for this.

Gonna make myself irreplaceable

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Cash Monet posted:

Stealing this.

Lions do something similar where they kill the 'alpha' male and then kill all the babies sired by that male because losing their cubs puts the females back in heat just in time for the new guy to go to town

Same in humans iirc

Edit: the lion king is a very dark story indeed

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Lol of course he would call Feinstein sneaky

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Devilman crybaby is bizarre

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Hey guys

We know Beverly Hills is 90210

But what is Dawson’s Creek zip code??

Same as one tree hill

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Yall if you haven't played Dark Souls, nows the time. Just be sure to not use a guide or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

There are lionfish derbies in the spring to dive off the coast of Florida to spear the heck out of the spiny painful nuisances and I can't wait to book a trip to Melbourne