Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Personally, it wasn't the brain damage change that bothered me. I was totally fine with it. What turned me off was the very obvious clique that was forming around the design team and the playing of favourites in terms of any sort of feedback that ended up finally closing the door for me. It was already difficult for me to play outside of online, because I had just moved and the only place that had regular play was suddenly across the city from me, and it was basically impossible to get anything from TV onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Thirsty Dog posted:

Yes, I was acknowledging that if it bothers people with brain damage it absolutely is a good thing to change. My issue is what they changed it to, but it's a minor thing. I'm glad it was received positively!

Yeah I think it's good to change "brain damage" but I'm not a huge fan of "core damage" - it's fairly generic Sci-fi and isn't nearly as evocative as meat or net damage. I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, but I think there could be a better term that keeps things thematic.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Splicer posted:

Whoops, lost an important couple of words due to editing. It should read "recent brain damage /due to covid/". Leaving that out definitely changed the tone of my response, sorry about that!

Ah that makes more sense, cheers.

My sister has long Covid so it's vaguely close to my heart, albeit she is as likely to play tabletop games as I am to become an astronaut

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I think it's good to change "brain damage" but I'm not a huge fan of "core damage" - it's fairly generic Sci-fi and isn't nearly as evocative as meat or net damage. I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, but I think there could be a better term that keeps things thematic.

Maybe "trauma" would feel general enough to not remind anyone of specific health conditions, cause surely everyone's got some?? Dunno just spitballing

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Psyche Damage was my suggestion, ties back to the R.Talsorian Cyberpunk 'cyberpsychosis' element that was a direct influence on Netrunner, and also means mind and brain and spirit. Just a straight drop-in improvement to core.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It's a shame "Terminal damage" has such bad mouthfeel.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Obviously it should have been named "sauce damage" to go along with "meat damage"

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Terminal gets messy with rigs and literal computer terminals. But also, you're just as terminally ended if you take meat or net with an empty grip versus reaching a negative grip size. You want that sharp single syllable name like meat and net, and at least core does that, but so does psyche if you go with a 'sike' pronunciation. I think remember seeing 'edge damage' suggested somewhere, the idea that what makes a runner a runner is whatever unique set of skills and aptitudes gives them an edge, and all sorts of things can degrade what is a mental state as much as literal neurons.

But the trifecta of pasta, sauce, and meat damage is hard to argue against.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CirclMastr posted:

Obviously it should have been named "sauce damage" to go along with "meat damage"
"Source damage" as an "Official" name does work surprisingly well :hmmyes:

Slyphic posted:

Terminal gets messy with rigs and literal computer terminals.
That was the entire joke GOD

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Destrado posted:

Worlds was won off a six-counter Clearinghouse and Restoring Humanity was top of Swiss.

it makes me extremely happy that the most important netrunner game of the year was won via meat damage flatline

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
As a preventative measure to not offend persons in the Vegetarian and Vegan communities we have changed the term Meat Damage to be Reality Damage. We will be printing new versions of all of the cards with this change.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Oh no it's getting weird again

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
What about serious damage?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Major damage o7

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The war is over, son. Call me Mr. Damage now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
If we're going to address this in good faith, "critical damage" seems like a broad enough term that could work and apply to both body and mind without treading on too many toes.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005

Destrado posted:

Worlds was won off a six-counter Clearinghouse and Restoring Humanity was top of Swiss.

Dog deck?

mulchmulchmulch?

Thread: "I'm still mad about core damage from two years ago. Also my genius ideas were not immediately integrated into the production cycle."

Game doing just fine, bud.

These are cool decks! Pretty wild that some of the best corp decks were so off-meta, I never would have picked Built to Last as the Weyland ID to finally win at Worlds. Reminds me of this article, which feels particularly relevant after this Worlds: https://stimhack.com/on-the-rational-player/

NSG Worlds roundup post is up, makes me wish I was a big enough nerd to travel to Barcelona to play a dead card game competitively. Some nice shots of the venue and Netrunner art: https://nullsignal.games/blog/2023-world-championship-roundup/

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
So, uh, I don’t know what’s been going on here but I’ve been trying to get into this game recently. Nothing fancy, just playing a game or two on the online client whenever I’m in the mood. Are there any good starter guides on how to get started with deckbuilding? Preferably something I can read, not a fan of videos.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Inadequately posted:

So, uh, I don’t know what’s been going on here but I’ve been trying to get into this game recently. Nothing fancy, just playing a game or two on the online client whenever I’m in the mood. Are there any good starter guides on how to get started with deckbuilding? Preferably something I can read, not a fan of videos.

This article is a pretty good introduction to the concepts: https://thethoughtfulgamer.com/2017/05/19/netrunner-strategy-part-1-deckbuilding/

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Hello thread, me and a couple of friends have gotten very into netrunner over the last 6 months. startup is a cool format and netrunner owns, thanks for reading :)

e: crim 4 lyfe

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

welcome gamer. always nice to see new people getting into netrunner. whatever gripes us old heads have with NSG, it’s undeniable that they’re bringing fresh faces into the fold

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Welcome!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

I am planning to shake off the dust of two or three years and jump back into playing on Jinteki.net again, and maybe try to get to my local in person meetup. What’s the meta like these days?

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I also want to get back into Netrunner after some time away. I've been messing around some on Chiriboga, but I think I will netdeck a little on jnet tomorrow since work will be slow.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Muir posted:

I am planning to shake off the dust of two or three years and jump back into playing on Jinteki.net again, and maybe try to get to my local in person meetup. What’s the meta like these days?

I havent really dipped into standard on jnet, only play the NSG only meta of my local group cause nobody has the FFG cards or wants to print them. But https://youtube.com/@MetropoleGrid is a great reference/starting point for meta discussion and general play/deck ideas. He doesn’t put out as many vids cause he started streaming fulltime, so check out the Live tab for newer content. He had a recent stream (Going Slow) playing a corp more in-line with a slow 2014 Replicating Perfection style and discussed a lot of contrasts with current meta

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
Two game stores in Dallas have started stocking Netrunner product. Pretty cool

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Dirac Fourier posted:

Which ones? I'll be in Dallas next month and wouldn't mind buying something to support that

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Bottom Liner posted:

Which ones? I'll be in Dallas next month and wouldn't mind buying something to support that

House Rules and Common Grounds. I'm going to do the same

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005
Rune and Board in Hillsboro, OR (a suburb of Portland) has started stocked Null Signal Sets as well. Pretty cool stuff!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Worlds is going to be in San Francisco this October! I'm planning to go. Right now I'm trying to gear up for a local Circuit Opener in a month, after not playing since 2020.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dirac Fourier posted:

That's awesome! I wish my area had a scene other than MTG Commander.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

FlyFishinInnuendo posted:

Rune and Board in Hillsboro, OR (a suburb of Portland) has started stocked Null Signal Sets as well. Pretty cool stuff!

I've been meaning to drive out and check this out, just to support a store that decided to stock Netrunner in 2024!

...But gently caress man, Hilsboro is like 45 minutes away from Portland. Crazy. I'm glad that I never applied for the many, many data center jobs based out of Hilsboro as I had no idea how freaking far out it is.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Scoops season for Rebellion Without Rehearsal is here. https://nullsignal.games/blog/welcome-to-rebellion-without-rehearsal-previews/

Some of the previews so far include all three IDs missing from TAI: Weyland, HB and Anarch.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

played a 12-person tourney with the newest set and it was the most fun I’ve had playing netrunner in years. the new cards are extremely fun and enable a lot of interesting game plans for quick, satisfying games

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

panko posted:

played a 12-person tourney with the newest set and it was the most fun I’ve had playing netrunner in years. the new cards are extremely fun and enable a lot of interesting game plans for quick, satisfying games

Awesome! I have a tournament the first weekend in April. I haven't played in a few years, so I'm trying to figure out what to run. I'm leaning toward NBN, probably Reality Plus or maybe Azmari (a few years ago I loved GameNET, might see if that still works). Less sure about runner, maybe Sable, 419, or Arissana.

What did you play? What was looking strong?

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I was on Kit/PE, there's a new breaker called Lobisomem that, in conjunction with Orca, work as a strong and consistent breaker suite for Shaper

they're expensive as hell to install? not when you cheat them out with spark of inspiration

the rest of the deck is money, cards, and multiaccess. here's a link

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/15b2c61b-1ff1-414d-a31d-aff0c35f97a2/is-this-kit-v3

my corp deck was based around this two-card kill combo from a full grip of 5 if the runner doesn't have protection

so if a double-advanced SHTR is on the board (like, for example, from a mitosis) I double advance, score it and deal 1 net or one core and give a tag from its when scored ability, deal 1 net from PE's ability, and then EOTL the runner to put them at -1 card in hand for the flatline

https://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/dc61509f-c70b-4fad-a0aa-f4f6310d116d/pe-shooty

all archetypes and all factions got really great tools, so that any style of netrunner you want to play is supported and powerful. If you want to do an NBN deck then either Reality+ or Epiphany are excellent choices right now, here's my friend's Epiphany deck as a good jumping-off point

Epiphany Analytica: Nations Undivided

Agenda (11)
2x Bellona
3x Post-Truth Dividend
2x Project Beale
3x Stoke the Embers
1x Tomorrowʼs Headline

Asset (10)
3x Rashida Jaheem
2x Regolith Mining License
3x Spin Doctor
2x The Powers That Be ●●

Operation (9)
3x Business As Usual ●●●
2x Hedge Fund
1x Restore ●●●
3x Seamless Launch ●●●●● ●

Upgrade (9)
2x Arella Salvatore
3x Calibration Testing
1x Mavirus ●
3x Vladisibirsk City Grid

Barrier (3)
3x Wraparound

Code Gate (5)
3x Mestnichestvo
2x Tollbooth

Sentry (2)
2x F2P

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Lobisomem Kit sounds cool. I was thinking of building it but I wanted to mix it with Egret for silliness factor. :haw:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

egret is absolutely not necessary (or even particularly neat) when you're kit already and lobisomem covers both barriers and code gates handily. if you want to get into servers by turning ice into code gates as kit then engolo/inversificator already have you, with a little k2cp up to really make sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Nice, thank you!

I've always loved Shaper, that Kit deck seems sweet.

That PE kill deck is sticky too, you can present some real dilemmas with Mitosis.

Reality Plus seems like a good approach for me, and The Holo Man seems busted.