Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Leavemywife posted:

I thought that it was some kinda cyber punk movie.

A dystopian cyberpunk reimagining of Robin Hood would be something I'd be into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thundercracker posted:

Because the IP is public domain?

I feel like that is the answer.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

"Earning a sequel" is the most annoying part of movie budgeting. Just make the first movie good. Maybe worry about a sequel later

Everything has to have a sequel because it's a lot easier than making something new.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

Fan theories are the worst. They're like film analysis but for people who dislike and disregard subtext. Or are incapable of reading it.

That being said, if we take the DTV sequels and TV show as canon, then while the Genie may not be able to see the future, he can travel there. So the logical assumption is that he just went to the 20th century at some point and absorbed some of the pop culture, then went back to his own time.

You know, if I was in charge of a movie that got a sequel, I'd totally just steal the best fan theory and build on it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

No such thing.

How about, "the most coherent?"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't that a Pixar thing for a while where they'd have completely unique trailers with footage that wasn't in the movie?

A lot of trailers do that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lobok posted:

If the Han Solo movie isn't 40% backstory about Greedo then why even loving bother.

You forget that Greedo's backstory starts in Episode 1.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I should have said "Yeah lovely game tie-ins have always been a thing" rather than specifying just video games because in the old old days we had to make do with tie-in board games

Is it bad that I want most of these?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have a feeling that part of why video game tie ins died out is just the amount of time and resources that go into video game development. A full 3D environment with recorded lines for 4 different platforms, is just herculean compared to how fast movies can be made now that they're all digital.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

raditts posted:

I think someone here once put it best when they said Fallon seems like the kind of guy who would be on state tv in a dictatorship.

I'm sure we'll get a good run at seeing that soon.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowman_McK posted:

The remake was a solid movie. I want more of that. I want detective Robocop, and Padihla understood how scary that idea is.

The remake was nowhere near solid, it had a lot of good potential that was executed badly. Every damned time it got a good idea, it would turn around and just fall on it's face.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

In other news, you are now required to call it "Oscar-Nominated Boss Baby".

Were there really not that many animated features this year?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

Captain Underpants, Lego Batman, Lego Ninjago, Nut Job 2, The Smurfs, & The Star, all snubbed

:lol: I already forgot the Star existed, and it was on every Hulu ad break from November until Christmas

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

Dean Norris has a weird long-arms thing going in Starship Troopers. I don't understand what's going on with his arms here beyond a bizarrely poor-fitting costume:

It's been a while since I've watched Starship Troopers, so you just blew my mind about that being Dean Norris

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

I love that Black Dynamite is both about an ex-CIA agent/Kung Fu master out for revenge, and also about a movie that was made quickly and cheaply and is held together with scotch tape.

I haven't seen Black Dynamite since it left Netflix, I really need to get a copy :negative:

Since I've gained a stronger interest in blaxploitation film in the last few years, I think I would really appreciate it a lot more than I did back then. I love how in that clip Bullhorn is skillfully channeling Dolemite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
poo poo, turns out that I'm an adult now

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neo Rasa posted:

Dude gets a lifetime pass for directing THX 1138 and A New Hope and funding Kagemusha.

I like how Lucas couldn't even leave THX 1138 alone. Last time I watched it, all the parking lot midgets had been replaced with CGI monsters. Of course it still includes the scene where they drag a parking lot midget into the big white room, so that makes no sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sponges posted:

I recall really enjoying the Warcraft story before WoW came out.

I can't say I really paid attention to it because it's been forever, and I think I just skipped to custom games anyway

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
YOu fuckers are going to make me watch the Purge movies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inescapable Duck posted:

Didn't he marry a stripper at some point?

Life goals

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What if I told you one of those dinosaurs swallowed the nuclear codes after air Force one crashed there, and a team of elite social forces has to save the president and get the codes.

I'm leaving in the typo. Elite social forces. Air Force One also had a bunch of Instagram celebrities and YouTubers on it.

Hell I'd watch Escape from New York but in Jurassic Park.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TetsuoTW posted:

imagine freaking out because a woman is sexually appealing in a movie

It's a boner disaster!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Asnorban posted:

If they ever get past the point of having to cram in existing characters and just let the creators tell a story in the universe, across any genre they want, I'm down with multiple Star Wars a year.

I am not optimistic they ever allow that though.

Yeah, that's my opinion too

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Re: Netflix, I really don't use the streaming much anymore, so I've been strongly considering getting discs again

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

Seven Samurai but with Jedi.
Casablanca but with a scoundrel Lando.

gently caress you! Now I want these

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

El Gallinero Gros posted:

....is that Keegan Michael Key on the far right?

e: It is! Looked it up on imdb.

:yeah: Maybe he's gearing up for Keanus

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

loving horse poo poo, Aliens rules

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

porfiria posted:

You guys need to be not 13 and watch it again (I wasn't even a huge fan at 13 because I'm a mega genius with perfect taste but that's neither here nor there). Even Sigourney Weaver, who's usually reliable, is kind of bad in it. Check out the line where she's talking to herself about what they missed, it's baaaaaad.

This will be studied in 1000 years as the worst opinion in all of history.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Do you find Dude, Where's My Car? to be the pinnacle of cinema?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

syscall girl posted:

Yeah but watch her in Chappie and try to figure out just what the gently caress is going on there. :iiam:

Chappie is better than people give it credit for. It's not great, but it's not terrible either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

She’s playing the head of a tech company?

An Evil Tech Company, she's essentially Burke

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fart City posted:

One of the little details I love about Aliens is that, despite being accompanied with a military detachment and having full knowledge of the xenomorph threat, Carter Burke shows up on LV-426 wearing slacks and an L.L. Bean vest because he treats the whole thing like the equivalent of a corporate-mandated retreat.

He's the Jared Kushner of the group

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I haven't even seen Prometheus I think that must make me a double galaxy brain

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MacheteZombie posted:

You're missing out on the best Alien movie.

Or worst, it's Schrodinger's Alien Movie.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think the added scenes for Aliens are neat, but they deserve to be an extra and not in the movie itself. Is the theatrical cut even available anymore?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also, CP, the moments you brought up are kind of relevant

notice that the acid and facehugger are quite a loving ways into the movie and also keep in mind that a person in 1986 who hadn't seen Alien would have basically zero clue what in God's name they were looking at

"Looks like they bagged one of Ripley's bad guys."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

On every copy of the Blu Ray yes.

Nice, I need to upgrade

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

When I'm saying "Alien" I'm not saying Xenomorph. I'm saying alien like an extraterrestrial. A creature from another world. Something not human. I

Aliens but it's ET

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
No love for Go-Bots :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

And the website reroutes to what I can only assume is a camsite, since I didn't let it finish loading. That's definitely up there with Sabotage as shows I would watch if they were real