Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Davros1 posted:

Someone hasn't heard about a little classic show from HBO called "Dream On".

CelticPredator posted:

I think it’s ugly, and cheap looking.

And ugly meaning looks and, not morally.

Oh come on, it didn't look any worse than other TV comedies, and it had tits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I am basically an amorphous blob of nothing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shoombo posted:

The very best thing about Slenderman is its qausi-public domain status, so I really don't get why goons are so concerned about it.

I never knew the name Victor Surge before this thread but I think it can be cool that a bunch of people on the Internet can be riffing back and forth on a new creepypasta idea but uncool when a major corporation wants to monetize it for themselves and not give anybody credit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Might be too late to legally be forced to give someone credit but never too late to give someone their due willingly.

Anyway, I think the real reason goons might care about Victor Surge (important to repeat that name because it's a cool rear end name, he clearly is evil and has command of electricity) is that he is/was one of our own and maybe most goons harbour this idea that some joke or idea they post on the forums could actually be worth something one day.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Is the Uncharted movie supposed to be coming out this year? Cause I just started watching TinTin and holy poo poo no one could hope to make a better Uncharted than this.

Funny you say that because there are quite a few Uncharted moments, not just in Uncharted itself but imitators, that make me think of that mobile command lab RV thing hanging over the cliff in Lost World. Which is obviously another Spielberg movie.

Not to mention all of Indiana Jones.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not sure what exactly didn't feel right to me about Tin Tin's action. It's all very inventive and complex with how Tintin's, Haddock's, and the dog's different paths intertwine but it feels like watching a good Rube Goldberg machine rather than an action scene.

Rewatching the falcon chase scene now, maybe because it's so fluid or because there are dangers and barriers that are presented and passed so quickly. Or even in hindsight, literally, like how the camera is looking away from the direction of movement as the dog and Haddock fit through the narrow windows. We don't see how they're threatened or challenged until they're already in the clear, like walking down a sidewalk and hearing a flowerpot crash on the spot you had just been under. Contrast that part with Spider-Man 2 during the subway fight where Ock flings him away and we see that Spider-Man's about to hit the pedestrian bridge (with an added bit of "look behind you!" excitement because we know it before Spider-Man does) but then he spins and contorts just in time.

Kinda related to that is at times it's too cartoony? Yes it's animated but it seems like the characters are casually invincible like Mr. Magoo. The main wow moment from that whole chase seems to be using the handlebar and front wheel of the motorcycle to zipline down the laundry line but the danger of the motorcycle going off the building and into the air is not given much time to be presented as a threat before the motorcycle thankfully breaks apart completely and conveniently into a piece that Tintin uses to zipline and it would all be an insanely impressive stunt if it were real but it's all so fast and effortless that I feel no real tension.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 4, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Solo has one thing going for it the others don't. It's got Clint Howard in it

Does he play Chewbacca before he let his hair out?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

The entire movie is just an elaborate origin story for Han's vest and it becomes the hot new underarmor pattern and t-shirt design.

https://twitter.com/communistbabe/status/948614604636262401

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Who should've starred in the 50 Shades series, instead of Dakota Johnson?

Sandra Bernhard.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I have four words for Solo

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

#ItsMillerCutTime

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If the Han Solo movie isn't 40% backstory about Greedo then why even loving bother.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This is incorrect. I think you'll find that Ron Howard shot first.

Welp, based on my Greedo post you just know I love this joke.

Iron Crowned posted:

You forget that Greedo's backstory starts in Episode 1.

If I forget then it's only because it was unmemorable. This time they can do it right.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Enos Cabell posted:

Never side against Emilio

lol, did someone snap that pic of Stephen Dorff coming out of a club?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MonsieurChoc posted:

It played in Quebec during my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDe_7POU_I

Canadian here and this is the only Paddington I ever knew. So I guess these CG movies are Not My Paddington.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't really buy the comparison with westerns. Not only were they a certain genre but they also had a particular setting and era and technology, etc. When people are talking about the superhero trend or bubble nowadays they're really only referring to Marvel and DC dominance. But those characters can make for all kinds of different movies. And not only have we had comic book movies for far longer than the post-X-Men era, we've had movies about characters with superhuman abilities for even longer than that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alvarez IV posted:

Whenever someone brings up the superheroes as Westerns comparison, I ask how many independent studios can go out and shoot their own Batman movies to light a fire under the bloated tentpole asses of the world. Superheroes are tied with intellectual properties in a way that negates any that aren't preexisting as illegitimate in the eyes of the buying public. The only successful modern exception (unless you want to go obtusely broad and say that Indiana Jones and Luke Skywalker and all the Campbell protagonists are superheroes like a pedant) is The Incredibles, which was successful on the backs of being a Disney/Pixar film. Dreamworks tried making The Incredibles years later and you got Megamind and everyone knew it was cut-rate before they saw it which is why it... gently caress, it didn't lose money, but I think my argument still holds up that you can't really proliferate the superhero genre without writing a check for beaucoup dollars unless you want to go shoot Nigerian Batman, which we should be so blessed as to have.

How much is beaucoup? Chronicle was made for $12M and Lucy was made for $40M and they both earned it back tenfold.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fallon has several strengths that make the show work overall but those strengths do not include holding a conversation with someone, let alone interviewing them. Unless they're a very good friend of his. It's to the show's credit that they spend less time on monologuing and guests and more on games and segments.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

He and Lorne realized very quickly that Fallon's strength was bite-size four-minute segments that can go on YouTube and then get shared by a zillion people on Facebook.

He's a lesser Ellen. An Ellen degenerate.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah I was gonna say it's kind of blowing my mind that there are still enough people under 60 watching late night talkshows to have hierarchies of them to discuss on the internet. Like the monologues have always sucked but now that we have Twitter there to make all the lazy obvious jokes on current events as soon as they happen it's especially irrelevant and any actually interesting sketch or interview winds up on YouTube as soon as it airs, I do t think I've watched any actual full episode of a late night show in it's entirety since the Bush administration.

The audience is potentially a lot bigger now with timeshifting and PVRs. They were never actually filmed during late night and now aren't necessarily watched late at night.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

21 Muns posted:

This phrase has been deployed against Ellen as a slur since she was literally a child so I think it's kind of hosed up that you're using it as a joke.

I was saying it about Fallon, not her, but if that's the case then I won't repeat it. Didn't know.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Jay Leno used to do sketches I loved as a kid, like one where he was a crazy floating head and one where he was a body builder in a fun house mirror. Or one where he was a Zorro type character, Jayro, whose father always lambasted him at the end of the sketch saying "Why can't you be more like Jayro? I wish I had a brave son" and then Jay would shed a single tear. Past a certain point he just completely stopped doing that type of thing for some reason.

Probably "I'm getting too old for this skit".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

So despite not being advertised as such it turns out the Netflix animated Godzilla movie is just the first part.

Hm, good to know. Maybe I'll wait until at least one more part is out.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Power Rangers wasn't bad, but would have been better if they weren't ashamed they were making a power rangers movie.

Like maybe more people would buy action figures if they had actually fought a monster at some point, or spent more than a minute in the suits for an action sequence.

Maybe the morphers would have sold if the characters in the film actually had morphers and there was actually a morphing sequence.

Might have done better if all the Power Rangers action wasn't all squished into the end of the movie. They first put on the suits and first use the Zords and first combine into Megazord all within the same battle. There's so much drat time spent on making them worthy and training. The movie is two hours. By contrast, I started watching the Netflix Voltron series last year and two hours could be the equivalent of the first six episodes, which features intros and backstory for all the team members, intros and training for their suits and weapons, time spent in their mechs, forming Voltron multiple times (and with early focus on them learning to be a team in order to form Voltron voluntarily) and multiple monsters tied to a bigger, central villain.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Any modern take on the classic legend has to be filtered through the tropes of some other genre: space opera,

Hell yeah, Camelot 3000!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Here's your Mario voice actor. He's even cool with platforming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

He did. They divorced within a year, I think. He claimed she pointed a gun at him, she said it was the other way around.

Why not both?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I read recently that it's now Hollywood's longest-running action movie series that's never been rebooted or gone on an inordinately long hiatus (though that's because 4-5 years is a normal sequel gap for this series).

So not Bond, Fast & Furious, Star Wars, Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Spider-Man, Batman...

Has to exclude a lot of stuff that isn't "action" or franchises that have more instalments but started later. I wonder if it's the same as "most successful action franchise continuously headlined by the same actor".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yeah, Fast and Furious is beaten because it started later (yet has more movies). I don't know whether F&F was ever rebooted, though. At the time it seemed like that maybe, with Tokyo Drift, but with Dom's cameo and then Han's inclusion in later movies and then with the retcon of Shaw's involvement Tokyo Drift has been woven ever tighter into the continuity of the franchise so it's not really a reboot now if it ever was before. And the concept of the movie is far closer to the first one than any other movie in the series.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spell Wrath wrong three times in a row, shame back on you no erasies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phanatic posted:

Some of the shittiest and lowest-budget animation there is manages to convey emotion without resorting to giant eyeholes.

Eyeholes...? So regular size eyes dwarfed by freakish ocular cavities?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Mario is a nothing character. He has no personality. That's fine for a video game, but not for a feature film that's centered around him. It's like if Disney were to make a Mickey Mouse feature film today; there's nothing to the character other than a cool visual and a goofy voice, he'd be a totally blank protagonist.

The 90s Mario Bros. movie had the right idea: just start from scratch, invent new personalities for your characters, and make a world inspired by the games rather than doing a straight-adaptation. The whole thing was just so hosed by the insane producers that it's a miracle they ended up with a wonky, underappreciated cult gem on their hands instead of a pile of garbage.

Just adapt the Super Mario Bros. Super Show.
Swing. Your. Arms. From side to side. Come on, it's time to go! Do the Mario!

Neo Rasa posted:

I think one of my favorite (well one of like two million favorites) moments in the Adam West series is this one point where he and Robin go back to the cave to figure out whatever and when Alfred comes in to see what they want Batman sternly requests six tall glasses of cold buttermilk and Alfred brings out six like wine goblets of buttermilk on a silver platter and Batman just starts chugging while feeding whatever info into the bat computer and deducing out loud. :laffo: I still cannot loving believe how good that show is.

Batman knows if his breath ever stops smelling like buttermilk then Catwoman will finally realize there are plenty of ghoti in the sea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cage posted:

Yeah that sounds like a fun way to spend two hours.

I want that line to be the catchphrase of the movie, repeated dozens of times.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

A WWE wrestling videogame is only as good as the likeness of Chris Benoit you can make in the character-creator.

*moves Decompose slider all the way to the right*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wikipedia says his next project is a documentary about elephant poaching.

Ostensibly it's about elephant poaching but actually about bashing liberals. It's called Tower of Ivory.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone who is good at reading people's emotions, yet not even psychic. I've seen it written that in other words, Troi was on the bridge to provide a woman's perspective. The other officers Picard could turn to on the bridge are either unfeeling androids or varying shades of machismo or military. Yes, I'm not forgetting Tasha.

It was a command exam where the solution was to send someone on a task that you knew would result in their death. IIRC specifically it was an area flooded with radiation that had critical equipment that needed to be repaired, hence sending Geordi in.

This seems dumb to send in the head of Engineering.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Crowned posted:

O'Brien had already been transferred to Deep Space 9 by then

Well, get him back!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Len posted:

He was only crying because he was disappointed he hadn't thought of doing that to the Bacteria Building

Great thing about the Fantastic Four is that "the Bacteria Building" can either be your phone's auto-correct or a totally legit thing that existed in the comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Also Beetle doesn't have the "ang" of "boomerang".

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know this isn't any different than having an uncle who works at Nintendo but a good friend of mine has been doing effects work for Mary Poppins and it sounds like a shitshow.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The first Avengers related reshuffling has happened, the producers of Rampage have moved the release date up a week to 4/13 in order to have two full weeks before Avengers' new date.

I think the first one was I Feel Pretty, that Amy Schumer movie that sounds like it was based entirely on her bit about sitting next to Kate Upton at a basketball game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

Don't know if I'd call Legend of Zorro rushed as it came out seven years after Mask of Zorro.

And students are given entire semesters to write essays but we know what actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ynohtna posted:

Does The Rock have any iconic lines or catchphrases?

I feel that a large part of what keeps Arnie strong in bleak plains of Western celebrity culture is the ease with which he can be poorly impersonated in common situations such as when someone needs to get to something, go somewhere and return, or be dealt with out of sequence.

Can't tell you how often I need to know both who someone's father is and what their father's occupation is.