Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I've been in love with this game ever since I got it, but I am terribad. I wasn't a while ago, but now I'm just getting sniped from what feels like across the map, and they wiggle back and forth just right so I can't get my ironsights on their heads. It's very frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Thinning the competition.

:capitalism:

Most of my complaints about the game center around stuff that'll be dealt with as the game progresses. Probably the most fun I've had with PvP gameplay even when I get dinged at 40 yards through a wall with a Dolch.

There's also a blurb of something in the lore book about how unless you go in with the person, anyone you meet in there is potentially tainted by the demonic influence. This influence is theoretically capable of mimicking human thought, action, even speech. So if you see someone with a gun out there it's entirely possible that it's just another hunter. . .Or it's a hunter tainted by demonic influence.

Killing someone with a bounty is just you being a thieving bastard.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

I really like what little lore is given of this world. Is there any way to get more books besides the initial one about Louisiana that you get by default? I'd like to read more about the world of this game.

... Unless it's all terrible and cringey. Please tell me there's not an awful comic book or something about this game.

This game has some of the best implied, but not expressly given story.

For instance, the fact that grunts have metal frames, and sometimes mouth guards. Some enterprising southern land owner probably figured out that these grunts are no longer human, and therefore they don't count for any of that pesky 'emancipation' bullshit. they can understand weapons, and while they're still pretty stupid, they're not completely idiotic. Enough that you could possibly teach them to do menial labor. This probably didn't end well, considering the state of some of the farmlands we find. It's not shown how the 'infection' spreads, but it might just straight up be that if you're killed by a Grunt, you will eventually rise up as another. It's easy to imagine one of the men hired to 'wrangle' the grunts hosed up and let it cut his throat open, and he died. . .only to rise up (dead man) again, and it continued from there.

the Meathead seems to be someone who wandered into the wrong area of the swamp and got attacked by demonic leeches who infested their body. Leeches start being born from the head, until there's too many and the head just pops off. And the leeches now treat him as basically an unliving hive.

Kinda surprised since the commonness of horses that there's not a horse demon of some sort. You'd think with the dead and dying horses lying around everywhere they'd be rapt for infection. Maybe it's their horse shoes which are considered good luck.

A lot of the lore and the ideas of it can be figured out if you look at your surroundings, not simply as a place where you fight, but as a part of the story itself.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I don't think the DSB is bad in and of itself - but the "meta" shift it has caused isn't the best. Everyone rushes the bosses now as fast as they can and whoever is lucky enough to stumble across him first gets the win.

I think both bosses need a boost in HP, especially the butcher. If you're a hunter who started at the other end of the map, you ought to have the opportunity to run over to the boss camp once you can hear poo poo going down.

As it stands right now the Butcher can be dropped in a manner of seconds, even with low Tier weapons. The spider's behavior makes it take a bit longer to put him down, but the TTK there is also too short.

It's still in tweaking phases.

Personally I wish there were more randomized spots to spawn in because as it is, if you spawn in on one corner, it's almost assured that the opposite side of that corner is where another team will spawn.

I also really wish there was just an offline practice mode because as much as I'm down with high risk, high rewards, it feels lovely for us to have to go live in a match with a gun we've never futzed with before. I didn't know you needed to exit iron sights to use the pump action shotgun with more than one shot. That got me and my partner killed. Whereas with the Double barrel it's just click-click, boom boom. No needing to stop aiming.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
So I'm a writer, and I got bit by a story in my noggin about Hunt, of all things. I love how the lore in this game is more smelt than felt, and leads to a lot of speculation and theorizing. If anyone is interested, I've finished what amounts to the first chapter of my fanfic creative exercise.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pIGsB-1_8qU1NbzqKdGcUQ1r9EQIMpvCJbhI3zB8LM/edit?usp=sharing

Hope people like it. Critique is welcome.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
I'm honestly sick and tired of watching people dance back and forth while strafing and immediately getting a headshot while I'm lining up. makes me suspect hackers or that like Apex this isn't meant to be a realistic, but an arcade shooter.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

I mean can people move in a way that can make them harder to hit? Sure but whats the alternative, firefights which are static shooting galleries?

Positioning. Observing your surroundings. Knowing when to take a shot and when to move to a more advantageous location. Providing suppression while your partner moves around to flank, or setting traps to protect your own.

Strafing left and right shouldn't make you that much harder to hit, but also give you pinpoint loving accuracy. Especially in a game where your guns are bolt or lever action. In a normal FPS with rapid fire guns, tapping ADADADAD will just make you dance in place while an automatic gun mows you down, but things are different here and if you refuse to accept that it goes against every sort of aesthetic and theme the game has going for it (Realistic, gritty, dirty.) then I'm sorry, I don't know what to say in response.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 26, 2019

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Skyarb posted:

I'm so disappointed with the sway reduction. Such a huge step backwards.

I too am annoyed. I feel like the weapon sway was removed from the console version but because they don't want to have 2 versions, they just made it the same on both PC and Xbox.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
My own bullshit:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Basticle posted:

yeah my video (which is from 1.0) was funny, but literally everyones game is broken in 1.1

Theres an open letter to Crytek on Reddit where some guy details how he's sent dozens of time consuming bug reports from the 1.1 test server and not only did they throw 1.1 on the Live server without fixing them, the bugs he found (and everyone else is experiencing) arent even listed on the "Known Problems" list.

This might be the most frustrating game I've ever played simply because I love it so much but he devs are just so incompetent.

The most frustrating thing is that things do load in! Just. .. slow as balls and by the time they've loaded in, if there's anyone around they've probably shot me 'cause I didn't see the thing I was running into to try and get away.

Sometimes it loads in all the way. Sometimes it doesn't. It just gets so frustrating. I dunno about incompetent though. They're stretched thin. I worry about the future of this game and that's what makes me so upset over this.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Studio posted:

https://streamable.com/1ie7l
??????????????????????????

DC'd while going up an incline? Only thing I can think of.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I've had pretty good success in quickplay (winning about 1 in 3 matches with around 30 played) by spawning with a melee weapon and just rushing for 4 rifts as fast as possible. Being the first person to activate the wellspring gives you a big advantage: you get all your health back, you have 4 traits to everyone else's 3 max, and you almost always have time to hole up in a building, set traps, etc., while the other people on the map fight each other outside.

It's kind of scummy but if you have something like a concertina bomb and climb up a tower, you can pitch it just below you so that anyone trying to climb up has to deal with that. It means that people have to have an explosive to quickly deal with it, and when the wellspring is counting down, time is of the essence.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

AbsoluteLlama posted:

Is there a new Discord or something for this thread? I pretty much never see anyone play Hunt in the OP's Discord.

Same, been poking every so often. If you're interested in a discord partner, hit me up! EdwardTank#7505

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Has anyone else tried using Geforce Experience Nvidia Highlights to record clips? I did everything the guide says, but for some reason it absolutely will not recognize Hunt Showdown as a game for any of its services. I just want to have a record of all of my hilarious deaths and occasional kills :sigh:

Find the temp folder it saves them in, it won't have the thing at the end, but it'll still save your highlights.
It's a loving pain in the rear end, but you can totally copy/paste them manually.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Yeah I have no loving idea why I'm not getting Highlights clips. The folder that it's set to put the files in through the Geforce Experience overlay is eternally empty.

edit: what format are the files?

You have to alt tab and go to the folder *immediately* after the game, if you exit out, it will delete them.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Basticle posted:

wait what

The way my highlights works is that if I have it on in Experience, I have to alt tab after the round to find the highlights and save them elsewhere, otherwise the next time I start up a round, they'll be erased. They aren't kidding when they say the folder is a 'temp' folder.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Orv posted:

I just got back into this after not playing it much at all since early, early EA and if anyone out there has room for a third or wants to duo some time, I can't shoot to save my life but I mostly communicate and don't run around like an idiot. Steam.

Added, EdwardTank.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Zigmidge posted:

Pve players want to dismantle every pvpve game there is.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I hope crytek ignores their whining and doesn’t devote a bunch of time and resources to that in the hope of reaching a wider demographic.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I am very glad this is not the game we got.

I feel like there is enough room for both this game, and a version of the original concept. And with Crysis being re-released they'll actually have the money to maybe experiment with the original concept more. Either in a spinoff or addition to this game. :shrug:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

They introduced heavy inertia on movement and weapon sway to combat AD spamming a year or so ago and the community revolted. They rolled it back on full release as I understand it.

To be fair without some way to peek out and take snap shots without AD spamming, it's an unfortunate necessity. I wish they would apply it but only after like the first 1.5 seconds of sustained AD spam

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Man, all the discords with this are just dead. Anyone willing to have someone who is decent at the game, but not amazing tag along sometime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Death On Toast posted:

I am utterly perplexed by Quickplay. As someone who is really not particularly good at this game, my record stands at 3 wins 1 loss, with a total of 1 kill to my name, and the loss coming due to getting killed by PvE (again, not particularly good at this game).

I got the wellspring first in all three wins. First win, hide in compound, listen to fighting outside coming closer over the next few minutes, and a guy finally steps inside with like 10 seconds left, and we end up awkwardly staring at each other like 5 meters apart, shotguns drawn, as time expired. Second win, I hear some distant PVP right as I activate the wellspring, and like 5 seconds later I get the message that I'm the last man standing. Third win played out just like the first, only I got the shotgunning off in time.

Is that just how Quickplay goes? I mean, I dig the free leveled up dudes, but I'll be damned if that final holdout isn't the most stressful 3 minutes in any game I'll ever play.

You have to remember, Quickplay still has the AI enemies and if you're not careful/properly equipped you can end up getting killed through a mistake. I'll never forget the time I ran into 2 packs of hellhounds once, and proceeded to run out of stamina and die in shame and dishonor.