Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Pro tip, fellas: if you are creeping around above a team that just downed the boss, don’t talk out loud about your plans to “scare them and get them at the other exit”. Idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Trying to play this on hotel WiFi was not my best idea.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Just started watching a streamer who literally took a ten minute diarrhea dump break in the middle of a match while parked outside the Spider’s lair and it turns out his server was completely empty of other players. How is that possible?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Solo mode has no teams just solo players. Surprisingly I find it more frustrating than queuing up solo against duos because of the rampant camping snipers.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I believe there are plans for at least four bosses and three maps.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Sledgehammer.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

3.0 here we goooo!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it just me or are the textures kind of grainy on the new map? I play on medium settings but up close a lot of the textures have this weird grain to them that I can’t unsee. Doesn’t exist on the bayou map.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is there some weird new meta or strategy people are doing where they banish a boss and immediately leave without grabbing the bounty or engaging other players? We had five games the past couple of days where we camped outside the boss room to ambush the bounty carriers only to get bored and storm the castle and find nobody inside. Grab the bounties and head for extraction expecting an ambush...nothing.

They just...left. :psyduck:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

My friends and I usually queue up two teams at the same time in the hopes of getting into the same game but once the game starts we move into separate discord channels and if we kill each other oh well that’s hunt for you!

The only game we realized it was after I killed one of them. They didn’t know where I was at first but popped a shot into the bushes where they thought I was hiding and got lucky. I messaged my friend on steam and he called a truce. Except I didn’t tell my teammate and he wiped their team then got me up.

They were kind of mad about that but double teaming a map is pretty lame I think.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I think this game’s strength is the difference between similar shooters and they don’t have to keep making concessions to make it like the others. Gunslinger mode is bad enough, four man teams would be bad.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah it really is designed for at most 2-person teams and trios were kind of thrown in as a concession but it didn’t change the mechanics so one guy in a trio always loses out of cash registers, ammo, etc.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

My group came up with something fun and stupid called the Free Hunter Challenge and played a bunch of games last night with varying results. The gist of it is: everyone takes their free hunter, and the only gear you can buy for it is to add a first aid kit if they don't already have one. No other gear purchases for the lifespan of that hunter. You can loot dead hunters in game for upgrades, and if we actually manage to survive we have to keep playing that hunter until he dies.

Our winning streak to date is 1 game out of 5 last night, but that was a real corker. Everyone on the map ended up at Prison and we managed to kill 8 hunters there. Two of us had Romero+silenced Nagant, and our third had a Nagant Precision and a Combat Axe.

Turns out despite how much I enjoy hiding and sniping with a Zorngeist, a full trio charging into a building with shotguns and an axe can really throw people off!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So now hackers can opt out and hide their VAC ban history altogether? Uhhh

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Basticle posted:

Lets be real its not like Crytek has ever been interested in dealing with hackers.

They supposedly banned 700 hackers last month, or so they say.

quote:

Still no UI rework...

What's wrong with the UI?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm not really enjoying trios lately. Our team aren't the most skilled players by a longshot, but we keep running into these elite squads of bunny-hopping wannabe streamers with 4-5 kda (mine is .72, the best of my group is 1.1). Duos remain a blast, and 2v1s when your partner goes down don't feel impossible like 3v1s.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Has anyone else tried using Geforce Experience Nvidia Highlights to record clips? I did everything the guide says, but for some reason it absolutely will not recognize Hunt Showdown as a game for any of its services. I just want to have a record of all of my hilarious deaths and occasional kills :sigh:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

On another note I believe I’m late to the party on this, but the Officer Carbine is extremely good.

I was running it with a hand cannon sidearm with quartermaster for close encounters but it’s still really good at close range so now I run a saber to stab anyone who gets too close. Super fun!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Yeah I have no loving idea why I'm not getting Highlights clips. The folder that it's set to put the files in through the Geforce Experience overlay is eternally empty.

edit: what format are the files?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

The only settings it gives me on the overlay is to do highlights when I die or kill another hunter.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Any recommendations for a different program to catch gameplay?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

When I turn on Instant Replay it turns itself off about half a second later.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'll try that reinstall workaround. I really wish I had this game recorded last night because it was hilariously fun:

Doing trios, Lawson map. Pulled up to Hemlock from the C&A side to head for the boss and came upon two teams battling in the yard. One of my teammates proceeds to snipe 3 people, two from one team and one from the other, with his Nagant Silencer. They had no idea what was going on. Eventually one team retreats into the buildings and the duo picks up her partner and comes after us. My friend kills one of them again but her teammate drops both of mine.

What happens next is a 3 minute slapfight of ridiculously bad aim from both of us as we dance around a small fence and wagon wasting most of our ammo. I had an Officer Carbine and a Sabre. She had a Mosin. She landed a couple hits but I was able to retreat and heal and come back to shoot the air around her. Finally I was down to 3 bullets and said "gently caress this" and drew my sabre. My teammates were shouting in Discord that this was a terrible idea since she was about 20m away from me. gently caress it, charging in with the sword, bobbing and weaving. She got one shot off and missed me, then took a sword to the dome.

Yakity Sax would have been the perfect soundtrack for this fight.

Got my teammates up and we rolled into the compound to deal with the trio that was in there. My partners got two of them down and then the remaining one got above us in the small barn and wallbanged both of them with her Rival before dropping down to kill me.

We all died but that was an amazing game. 7 kills, no regrets. Hunt is awesome. :haw:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Got clips working. This one is a perfect encapsulation of our group's gameplay. Fun with voice filters.

https://streamable.com/rf0q91

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

To add to the above excellent batch of tips, don’t be afraid to be aggressive and unpredictable. Peeking out of cover to pop shots is what people expect. Charging at them with a knife throws people off in a big way.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Well it was fun while it lasted for a few hours last night. Today Geforce Exprience is back to instantly turning Replay off when I click it on in game. I don't think I want to uninstall and reinstall this every time I want to fire up Hunt. :argh:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

For $80 the Nagant Officer Carbine is amazing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Apparently I can only have amazing games when my ability to record is off. We cleared a full map on trips last night by sitting in the main building at Reynard and defending. Boss was right at our spawn, single boss map. I had a Nitro and a Sabre.

Every team descended on us and assaulted the building. Pure chaos as they kept coming in, getting killed, dropped my teammates until one of them was full dead. Somehow I stayed alive and I am not great at this game but...

The battle ended when I ran out of nitro rounds and was left with my Sabre. Both my teammates down, two hunters in the building pushed me. Went into berserker mode and managed to kill both of them with the Sabre.

My victory cry scared the poo poo out of my wife in the other room. :cry: 9 kills, 5 of them mine. Everyone in the server dead. Best game I’ve played to date!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Someone who died 20 minutes prior got a kill when I stumbled into their alert tripwire red barrel trap on an empty map, while farting around during a banish. You’re welcome!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So yeah they’re really on top of banning hackers huh.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So this game's ELO system is totally broken, right? Spent the entire night getting dunked on repeatedly by double up arrows.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I am very glad this is not the game we got.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I hope crytek ignores their whining and doesn’t devote a bunch of time and resources to that in the hope of reaching a wider demographic.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

E-Tank posted:

I feel like there is enough room for both this game, and a version of the original concept. And with Crysis being re-released they'll actually have the money to maybe experiment with the original concept more. Either in a spinoff or addition to this game. :shrug:

OK in hindsight as an additional game to Hunt Showdown, I would be down with it. If nothing else to get more lore because I love this setting.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I have a feeling everyone will be using them this way, but I didn’t play on test so I don’t know what the meta was like.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I appreciate the huge list of known issues at the bottom. Not sarcasm, it’s cool that they’re transparent about “this poo poo is still busted but we are working on it”.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Update is good, new skins are awesome, burning out twice as fast feels bad but otherwise I like the changes.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is there typically a huge influx of hackers when a new patch goes live, because holy poo poo there have been a lot of sketchy things the past two days. Most notably was a team we just encountered where one person got hit by dynamite, a shot from my Carbine from 25m AND A HEADSHOT from my teammate before she killed both of us with her Romero. :psyduck:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is the Sticky Bomb/Assassin thing an intentional change or a bug? Sticky Bombs taking out the majority of a boss's health always felt way too convenient since bosses exist to take up your time and give other players time to find you and encourage PVP.

I guess it's slightly better than when he Matrix-punched them and blew you up before? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

sudo rm -rf posted:

this is a fun game, still too scared to play solos tho

Solo can be intimidating, just run some quickplay it will make you better at solo fighting and dying doesn't matter. Games are 15 minutes tops so it doesn't waste too much time.