Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
I haven't seen a map with the player spawn locations, so I decided to start one now that we get to see some of them during spawn selection.

This is a work in progress, as I feel like there's 3+ spots I'm missing here (most likely around center North/South/East sides).

If anyone can confirm any spots I'm missing, feel free to add to the image (a red dot is fine even) and I'll get this updated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Studio posted:

I'm pretty sure a player can spawn anywhere the road leads off the map. There's four spots (N, E, S, W (with a tiny bit of north)) that are roads, and that I've spawned at.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm 100% sure there's spawns SE of Davant Ranch at the river leading south, SE of the chapel at the road leading east, and NW of Graves at the road leading west.

I *think* there might be one NE of Mill + Lumber at the road leading north, but I'm not very confident on that one.

Rest look good.

Thanks, I suspected these were the spots. Here's what I think should be everything then:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Is there anyone else mainly in the US-West timezone that has been mainly playing solo but wants to buddy up? I feel like I'm somewhat competent at this game now. I've doing pretty well not raising any alarms at all, and going after groups that raise a ruckus, but my odds and payout could be a lot better with a partner. I'm at bloodline rank 34 right now.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Gary 'Bang Bang' White's career is off to a great start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7P6JkuFKLw. I'm always going to pack some dynamite now.

This game was way too quiet, so I decided to roam the perimeter to try and bait out a response.

I feel like the matchmaking algorithm will just give up and will settle to match you with just 1 other team. One big giveaway for this is when you spend very little time in the "waiting for other players" phase.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

AirRaid posted:

Or your PC is slow at loading and everyone was waiting for you...

True. So I should clarify that this observation is only true when you normally are waiting on others in full games.

And this is why it's a good idea to check your adjacent spawn points: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKKniCnodoo

Varkas fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 24, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I read a tip recently that the horses and steam boat will make some noises when being camped by other players, but I've never really seen myself trigger that. Does anyone have more info on that--what exactly triggered the boat to sound off like in the following clip? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmR2BMkMSVA&t=60s. That's the first time I've heard it go off like that.

I'm guessing if a player stays within a particular proximity for some period of time (but outside of the extraction radius) ?

Edit: vvvv Perfect, thanks! vvvv

Varkas fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 26, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Are the 3 shots that go off in this clip from the silenced Nagant? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMhdYlQ-eBE. I might have to re-think my usage of it a bit if it's actually pretty audible from a distance . The lack of muzzle flash is still great though for plinking away at unsuspecting folks in water.

Also, I take it that there's nothing in the user interface that I'm missing to convert a pair of 25-health bars to a 50 heath bar, is there? I've been doing quick "burn runs" when a hunter has a surplus of upgrade points.

Edit: vvvv Thanks again. I'll keep on using as I have then. vvvv

Varkas fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 26, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

The "Random" option is always the way to go - but I can see why people specifically target a boss or a time of day based on gun preference. I usually roll with a shotgun so butcher at night is vastly easier to deal with than spider / day.

A boss that breaks some of the rules would be a good idea imo. The best idea I've heard is for a boss which roams the map and isn't exceptionally obvious (underwater, under ground) and his patrol path is revealed by the clues.

On that note, I think it would be neat if such a roaming boss would actively hunt down players (respond to sound cues maybe), and if there was a different mechanic where it was way more powerful against until you got all 3 of the clues for it or something.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'm usually running solo and am at a big disadvantage against the coordinated duos. Sooooooooooooo, if there's anyone else out there who is in a similar boat (new to the game or otherwise) and is down for partnering up in the evenings (US-west), here's my steam profile. So add me maybe?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Also, if you clear the map of other players, you can do a victory XP farming lap around the map, slaying every monster you see.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Usually my plans don't work out so well as in this clip.

I was working on the spider when I hear a ruckus back at the ranch...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Beans posted:

When the sky flashes blue lightning and then thunders does that mean someone has picked up a clue?

It seems like it’s indicating something.

I'm assuming you're referring to when you're looking on dark sight. That means a boss has died (and a banish has started) and it's showing you the general location of the bounty. This location continues to be updated as players grab the bounty and move around the map.

When a player gets a clue there is a bit of a visual blue flash as well, but you have to be pretty dang close to see that.

Roumba posted:

e: Does queuing for a random teammate also put you into games with pre-made duos?

I'm pretty sure that when you play a round, you can get matched with pre-made duos, matchmaking duos, or solos. It doesn't separate games into separate team categories.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 13, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Capn Beeb posted:

I'm just surprised killing players only pays out 100XP per, compared to mopping up a bunch of easier to kill regular zombies for a pretty tidy amount with far less effort :shobon:

I think it's 100 for tier 1 hunters, and quite a bit more for tier 2 (500xp)/ tier 3 (1000 xp). Seems a bit silly to me to not have increased payouts for increased bloodline rank, as you can start out with a tier 1 hunter and upgrade them a good amount.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Aug 13, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, to be really sure that the map is clear after 8 kills, you'd have to burn each hunter shortly after you kill them.

So one other takeaway from that video...I didn't realize you could synchronize with your partner and get both of the clues if they happen to spawn at the same outpost (since normally you lose access the the 2nd one if you try to do it in sequence).

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Some more solo clips...

I'm enjoying blank fire decoys but this was unexpected and caused some confusion all around. I was hoping to deter the approaching duo.

And another reminder to not assume that you're alone at the start...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

my view: https://streamable.com/6z253

my buddy's view: https://streamable.com/wj10m

how the gently caress is there that much a difference in brightness

Yeah, your settings seem abnormally dark. My game looks more like your buddy's.

For solo play, I've embraced cheap Winfield / Machete builds and have had pretty good results when pushing distracted duos at a boss.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'd like to pretend that this was a recent patch feature: Dogs will now play catch with you

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah, Appoh is pretty dang good from the vids I've seen of him on youtube. That's an insane amount of hours he's putting in.

Or do subsequent prestige ranks go quicker or something?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

widespread posted:

I prob should ask: when I first buy a hunter, I shouldn't just go right for bounty unless they're rolled high, right? I tried vs Butcher and eventually died.

Nah. Ideally you still want to go for bounties regardless of your hunter's level, but you may want to revise your loadout and play style as you get more traits.

I'm assuming you mean that you got taken out by other players when you were around the butcher?

When other players are out of the picture, there's nothing that should be stopping you from taking out the bosses with any hunter/loadout--even when solo. Some weapons will just be way faster than others. A simple and relatively quiet/cheap way to take out the butcher is with a single concertina (just get him to path through it several times).

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

Thinking about checking out this game because it scratches an itch similar to EFT. Reading a lot about the mosin avtomat which is in the posts above. How the hell do you counter a gun like that? Lever actions and slow firing weapons actually sound fun but then going up against that sounds like its impossible to beat based on some of those videos.

I don't think there's really a super good counter to the gun, which is part of the reason that its price tag is as high as it is. You have to pretty much play better than the avtomat player by a good margin. Your best chances are to keep your distance and to try and get a good head shot without exposing yourself for very long, or to catch them completely off guard.

$1800 for the gun isn't the biggest deal to me right now when I'm at a surplus of ~$36,000. I think the cost might be more prohibitive if there was also some % of your total money that also was built into the price, but that's getting a bit more complex/confusing.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

I guess I don't see how a high price tag balances it since it seems like you become a neigh unkillable god using it and likely recoup the cost pretty quick anyhow.

Right, which is why I think it would have to have additional cost element to it that's based on your total amount of money or something. I would probably never bother with the gun if I knew it was going to take 50% of my $36,000 or something.

And as it stands now, the hunter I've got with the avtomat has definitely recouped all the cost and then some.

I think some sort of change does need to happen, for sure.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

widespread posted:

Plus aren't the bounties in small areas? Like, I haven't seen this most nugget like gun yet but if its supposed to be a marksman's rifle, it would have a bad time vs Butcher.

The Mosin "Avtomat" melts anything at close range, and is not bad (good?) at longer ranges as well if you single tap. Here's a video of what we're talking about

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

I have not because I don't think I have it unlocked yet. Seems good too, though I must prefer shotguns to rifles in this game. The romero is a solid blast canon.

edit: My queue times are incredibly long and sometimes I am placed in a map alone. Maybe I should have held off purchasing...

You might just need to break out of the first set of bloodline ranks? At Bloodline level 100, the only time I run into situations where I'm the only player in the game is around 12:30 AM Pacific. It's pretty quick to get into a game if I'm playing in the early evening and on.

Edit- Hah, and of course my first game tonight at 7:00 PM results in me being the only player. So I don't even know now...

Varkas fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 28, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Skyarb posted:

So I have been playing nonstop and got out of the beginners bracket. However I am still having trouble finding games but its fine I just reset the search if it is about to elapse.

Then this happened:

That was four tier 3's and one tier 2.

This was accomplished with a rival long barrel and a silenced nagant. I was solo on a duo map. Fun times.

:respek:

Here's another reminder to keep some distance between yourself and your partner, even when running full throttle to extraction...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

Confirmation bias is my guess but idk

Yeah, pretty sure that's the case.

Here's a recent video on this exact point.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Rysithusiku posted:

I keep getting huge missing texture patches on the new map (like a 20m swath will just be this brown/green splotch) so obviously not all the bugs are out

Yup. I also went looking for a wagon supply that was marked on the map, yet it didn't actually exist in the game. Circled around quite a bit to be sure.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

This is also my favorite FPS game right now. New patch is fantastic.

And while this thread may not be all that active, matchmaking times have been really good as of late in the game.

Also, The roadmap is looking very promising. I'm glad to see a shooting range and full tutorial in the works. Not sure how I feel about crafting though...

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Orv posted:

I need to get back into this, anyone need a partner with good ears who shoots like a blind, handless corpse?

It's not uncommon for me to play this game solo, so I'm usually on the lookout for additional buddies. Feel free to add me.

I'm somewhat torn on Quick Play, but ultimately I'm okay with it if it happens to bring more players into the game in general.

I'm very glad to hear that head shots can be totally silent. I'd be more inclined to push some buildings if I know that I can avoid tipping campers off about my approach.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

The end of this is some bullshit, right? I'm not missing something obvious here?

Summary: at 2:17 in this clip I can see the body of the tier 3 guy I just killed, while his tier 1 partner pops up and starts a push on me. I take out the tier 1 and move to revive my teammate, only to find the tier 3 guy alive again.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

AbsoluteLlama posted:

It's hard to tell. Usually when I review something like this it ends up as another team but I don't see the body, and his loadout seems to have the dolch precision (cannot see crossbow from guy who shot you but he was facing you the whole time). I'm not sure if there are any cheats greater than wallhacks, and tbh it's Crytek so cheats and bugs are probably equally likely.

Yeah, a 3rd man with the same player model who was creeping about is the only non-cheat scenario I can think of. Unfortunately my teammate didn't remember the name of the guy who killed him, which would have confirmed if our suspicions were correct or not.

Edit- After taking a closer review, the tier 3 guy I killed has a crossbow and a Dolch precision that is visible on his back. The guy that kills me also has the same weapon configuration (~2:31). It'd have to be a super coincidence for a 3rd guy to have the same hunter model and weapon setup.

Edit2- Upon further review, someone spotted that there was in fact a 3rd guy who was crossing the water with the same configuration (~2:16). Wow, such a crazy coincidence.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 3, 2018

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

This might be common knowledge but some guy on reddit has been posting map configurations.

I thought everything was randomized but it turns out that depending on map, # of bosses, size of the boss area etc. There are only a certain number of predetermined map configurations. So once you get the first clue and gray-out a portion of the map you can then determine where the boss is going to be

This is pretty disappointing to me honestly

I'm hoping that eventually they'll enter all the possible configurations by hand by the time the map is no longer "beta", I wonder if the first map suffers from the same issue or not?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

We encountered the best bug yesterday: https://streamable.com/sznnd

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I'm level 100 (never bothered with prestige), and regularly get into full classic games when playing US West if I'm playing during normal evening hours. There will be the occasional low population game though.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Basticle posted:

I've put hundreds of hours into this game but did not realize there was a setting that, by default, turns off VOIP when both you and your partner is dead. My buddy told me he had flipped that setting.

Boy was that a huge mistake. Who knew that literally everyone in the game calls you a human being and talks trash after they kill you, and best of all you hear everything on the loading screen until you're back on the main menu.

The guy I play with usually says "Good fight guys!" :shobon:

But he'll be cursing up a storm when he gets killed, baffled at why his shots weren't connecting or some other external factor.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Well, it's still early access and all, buuuuuuuuuuuuuut...I don't imagine the sales numbers exploding when the official release hits unless they do a poo poo ton of marketing.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

The game also has a 30% sale right now, so $20.99 total.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

While I have some obvious things I'd want to see changed in the game, it feels like it's in a pretty good state overall right now. Matchmaking on the West coast region has been pretty quick as of late, but that's probably from only having a single random queue that everyone is forced into now.

The big fear of mine is that this game won't really take off at launch.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Studio posted:

Can you see the names of the people you've killed?

You can sometimes infer it if said person just recently grabbed a bounty.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Uhhhhhhh....haven't seen this before after grabbing the first clue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

I think the TLDR is that Star Citizen used to be using the Crytek engine (or some version of it) and thus anything the engine/company makes is now tainted by that association?