Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«94 »
Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Time for tea and Thunderdome

BeefSupreme wanna gently caress up these two idiots instead of fighting each other?

I donít want to let their horrible failureness go unpunished but nor can I manage two brawls at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today? This moi!

Morning Bell posted:

I am drawing a circle in the sand of this disgusting failure desert.
Four will enter.
Two will leave.
Give me a team of two challengers against mojo and cpt doc.
Crack a VB roll a durrie do a burnout on ya ute with a kelpie in the back. Let the bloody dingoes howl.
I'm judge. Sebmojo and cptn_dr against the first two challengers to step up.

I'll do it, since I failed this week.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today? This moi!

Or whatever.

I'll crit all submitted stories for this week as punishment instead if I ain't brawling.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Yams Fan

The wind blows across the desert sands. A snake slithers over an empty pack of winfield blues. A voice in the distance calls:
"Fleta Mcgurn and YoruichiBeefSupreme shall brawl against Sebmojo and cptn_dr"

1,750 worlds max
Due date: 1st of December 23:59 PST

Prompt: each writer shall choose one out of the three options below (tell me which prompt when you post your story, you don't have to choose now).
1. The only pub in town has just closed
2. A new hospital in town has just opened
3. It had been forty eight degrees Celcius for three days in a row
(please convert to Fahrenheit yourself).

Any genre, any style, any setting, as long as your words are good and I can see the prompt in your words

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Morning Bell fucked around with this message at Nov 12, 2018 around 19:13

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Yams Fan

For bonus points: if a memorable vehicle (mode of transportation) in one writers story appears in your teammates story, that is an Bonus Point for the team and the desert gods shall look upon you more favourably and nod.

Morning Bell posted:

The wind blows across the desert sands. A snake slithers over an empty pack of winfield blues. A voice in the distance calls:
"Fleta Mcgurn and Yoruichi shall brawl against Sebmojo and cptn_dr"

1,750 worlds max
Due date: 1st of December 23:59 PST

Prompt: each writer shall choose one out of the three options below (tell me which prompt when you post your story, you don't have to choose now).
1. The only pub in town has just closed
2. A new hospital in town has just opened
3. It had been fourty eight degrees Celcius for three days in a row
(please convert to Fahrenheit yourself).

Any genre, any style, any setting, as long as your words are good and I can see the prompt in your words

dreadmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Opt-in 1

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I'm into Option 3, if Yoruichi is cool with it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

It's just so good!

I'm in for option 2

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Yams Fan

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I'm into Option 3, if Yoruichi is cool with it.

It's ok if two teammates choose different prompts but I will think your team is slightly cooler and has synergy and jazz and excellent hi fives if you both choose the same one. But only slightly (it's ok to choose different prompts).

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

DOUBLE BEEF ACTION

Yoruichi posted:

BeefSupreme wanna gently caress up these two idiots instead of fighting each other?

I donít want to let their horrible failureness go unpunished but nor can I manage two brawls at once.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Oh no, Yoruichi, our business is far from over. But this fight... Fleta and I can handle these chumps. Let's see just what lies beyond door #3.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

DOUBLE BEEF ACTION

(I'll take your spot in this brawl, Yoruichi, unless you really want it--but also we're still brawling)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I won a rosette in the Thunderdome

Submissions are closed. Have a great failurebrawl, which my phone autocorrected to "funeral"

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

The man was stunningly well dressed. He had a smart looking jacket, and a really neat looking cape, the lining of which was shimmering and sparkling in more than Oriental splendour, which is a great deal of splendour indeed, just ask Kipling.

Well this might be some FJ given more than half of entrants failed to submit, even with a very generous extension. (And also GJ, therefore)

Yoruichi
Sep 21, 2017

Time for tea and Thunderdome

BeefSupreme posted:

(I'll take your spot in this brawl, Yoruichi, unless you really want it--but also we're still brawling)

I will leave the punishment of Seb-failure-jo and Cptn_cantsubmit in BeefSupreme and Fleta Mcgurnís capable hands.

Morning Bell
Feb 23, 2006

Yams Fan

Yoruichi posted:

I will leave the punishment of Seb-failure-jo and Cptn_cantsubmit in BeefSupreme and Fleta Mcgurnís capable hands.

Truly despicable and cowardly, just as I expected.
Brave BeefSupreme and fearsome Fleta Mcgurn shall make a fine team.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

TD 327: RESULTS

This week, all I wanted was to read some stories about dragons. 11 of you offered to help me out, but only five delivered. Guess it's time to crawl back in my cave and brood over my hoard while trying to figure out what went wrong.

Thranguy wins with a charming nonsense adventure.

Nobody loses, because honestly, nobody wrote that badly and I don't feel comfortable punishing anyone for showing up this week, not while I'm contemplating pulling a Yoruichi and blowing $60 on failuretars. However, autism ZX spectrum DMs for having the weakest story of the week, an ambitious but confusing dystopia story that also barely contained any dragon.

Thranguy, throne's yours. May November judging treat you better than it did me.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

College kids ain't shit

Grimey Drawer

Preemptively jumping in with a cos dammit we need more wordin'

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

'Read over your compositions, and when you meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.' -Samuel Johnson

Thunderdome 328:Economy of Prompt 2

Thriller.

1000 words, toxx to double

Deadlines Friday/Sunday Pacific Time

Judges
Thranguy
?
?

Entrants
Chili, toxxed
derp, toxxed
sparksbloom, toxxed
autism ZX spectrum, toxxed
Fuschia tude
Antivehicular
Fleta McGurn, toxxed

Thranguy fucked around with this message at Nov 15, 2018 around 21:52

derp
Jan 21, 2010

a little less conversation and a little more filthy rodents

Lipstick Apathy

i'll do it

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 7, 2007

Fun Shoe

I'm in with a toxx

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

In

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

crits

Guardian

I like this. It kept my attention, I felt bad for the neglected protag dragon, and the prose is pretty good. I do wish there was a little more coherence to this, start-to-finish. The story turns on the suffering in this family, but the first few paragraphs donít set this up, and in the end, the dragon feels like a sort of minor character in the events of the story. Sure, it captures the suffering-monster, but it doesnít interact much with Alba or Marta, and it seems like an odd choice for the POV character here.

Catalyst

This is really hard to follow, mostly because of the unmarked POV shifts, but also because the action relies on sci-fi jargon for the blocking. Couple that with paper thin characters, a bizarre scheme (spend money on fuel and a rocket to send prisoners to Mars, where thereís no life support, instead of just killing the prisoners? ok, sure), and a scattering of bad proofing, and Iím officially Not A Fan of this one. I guess thereís atmosphere going for this story, but that atmosphereís limited to ďfuturistic.Ē Also, not enough of a dragon for me, sorry.

The Dragon Rings the Bell

This is cute, but not charming enough for me to look past the lack of substance. I like the playful, Alice in Wonderland logic that animates the story, but without anything to cut through the zany sugar this whole thing just feels a little bit twee. Thereís also a couple of proofing mistakes that make me suspect this whole thing was thrown together in a hurry, or that the whole point of this story was to write about things being different sizes. And on that front, thereís definitely some good ideas, some good sentences, but on the whole, this thing is just cotton candy.

Wrapped Around Your Finger

A little heavy on the detail sauce, a little light on the emotional sauce. I do like what we get thatís emotional here, but ultimately I wish there was more on the familyís grief, and less describing the proper handling of dragons. To be fair, I really do love the way youíve portrayed the loving family, and itís touching that Sasha has to say goodbye to the wild dragon thatís helped her deal with the grief, but it doesnít click into place, maybe because we donít have a great sense of Sashaís bond with the animal. Still, this is pretty well-written, and it kept me interested all the way through.

Daisy and the Drains

This is amusing, with a feel-good ending and some of that Good Satirical Banter. I like the part where the theremin playing dragon ate the bad dudes. I mean, itís silly and goofy and not very substantial, but itís more coherent than all the other pieces this week, and Iíd have been fine seeing this win.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

derp posted:

i'll do it

yeah, agreed

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

In,

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

derp posted:

i'll do it

is it too late to for extra words?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

'Read over your compositions, and when you meet a passage which you think is particularly fine, strike it out.' -Samuel Johnson

derp posted:

is it too late to for extra words?

No, any time before signups close is fine

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

okay. I if that wasn't clear.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Oh, I'll give flash rules on request. Inspiration type, not dickish. And also let any of my cojudges (positions both empty, feel free to apply if you can't write this week), when they appear, do the same.

(Gonna be giving stern looks if the only ones who ask are the people already in.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

In and

«94 »