Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, San Marino Calcio are a pro team who play in the Italian leagues despite being from San Marino. All hail the Titani!

Cool, this makes more sense to me.

Also, looks like you probably won't have to worry too much about the national team calling up your team members at inopportune times :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm using a different mod than the straight Serie D only one. I saw the glitch and decided to steer away from it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PotatoManJack posted:

Cool, this makes more sense to me.

Also, looks like you probably won't have to worry too much about the national team calling up your team members at inopportune times :)

you still have to worry about that because they'll all play for their home countries

i reckon the number of san marinese we roster after this year is zero

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the First: Friendly Faces Everywhere
June 26, 2017

First things first, let's see what I have to work with.

The Club

For a nation that prides itself on being the oldest republic in the world, their Italian league club didn't get started until surprisingly late. It wasn't until 1960 that the forerunner of the Titani was founded, and it remains the only professional club in San Marino.

The short history means that I won't have to do much to become a massive success.

Ugh, let me take back that professional comment. We're semi-pro. This is going to make things harder. Until I can convince the powers that be to take us up to a full time operation we're going to have limited training time and ability to hire. It means that players will take longer to get into playing shape, since instead of training at the club full time they might have a side gig. My left winger could also end up being my Uber driver.

Of course, I'm not exactly a catch right now myself. With no coaching badges and only playing in amateur games, FM18 has seriously nerfed my talents. I put basically everything into Man Management just to maintain a handle on the clubhouse.

Not shabby. We get to use the national team stadium, which isn't all that large but remains in pretty good condition. The local authorities re-lay the pitch without me even needing to ask, bringing it from “poor” to “very good.” I don't especially love the playing surface, though. Some types of synthetic turf can cause additional injury risk as compared to a well maintained grass field.

We're probably going to end up in the red this season, but not by so much that the lump sum payments will cause us any long term concern. €30,000 is also a lot of scratch in the transfer kitty for this level.

I'm glad to see that the club has an affiliation with Cessena, so that I can raid their youth squads for players who are as good or better than ours. The Santarcangelo affiliation is decidedly less interesting, as I'm hoping that we're in Serie C within the next year or two. I immediately axed all our affiliations with amateur clubs in San Marino before taking the screenshot, they're not worth having to play a friendly with every year.

The mod I'm using to make Serie D playabe doesn't appear to have the age requirements that Viscardus mentioned, where I'd need to have a bunch of teens on the pitch at all times. This may or may not make things harder, since I tend to run a lot of youngsters out anyways as I'm a perfect example of prospect-lust that leads to ignoring significantly better players because they're too old at the age of 25.

The Back Office

Board of Directors

As always, Directorships are available on a first come, first serve basis. The Prez and Managing Director are going to stay as is for now, since the team is privately owned. Until and unless the team is owned by a fan trust, they call the shots.

Coaching Staff

First up on my wish list is a better Assistant Manager. Nothing against you, Chris, but I need my right hand to have better scouting chops than you possess.

Telling the players “keep the ball out of the net!” over and over again isn't really the best way to teach them, Donini.

Huh, you're not that bad at your job. A terrible motivator, but otherwise pretty decent for our club status. I'm going to be replacing you and Donini next summer, though, when your contracts run out.

Scouting Staff

Well, at least a director of football doesn't do much given how I micromanage transfer policy. Still, those are some awful scouting numbers.

Ugh, and the Head Scout is just as bad. At least there's two open scout positions for me to fill that will allow me to get people with double digit ability and potential ratings.

Trainer's Office

Oh, hey, you're competent! You can actually tell the difference between a sprained ankle and a broken one!

You, I'm not so sure about.

Senior Squad

Goalkeepers

Alioune Fall is the only non-EU player at the club, and one of only a couple who aren't either Sammarinese or Italian. He's got a couple serious faults, specifically his positioning, but for a 19 year old he'd make an adequate backup. Unfortunately he's our starter.

One of the loaners at the club when I arrived, Donini is nowhere near ready for prime time. He's got virtually no command of the penalty area, can't communicate outside of wolf-howls with the rest of the team, and can be beat by a toddler in a one vs one situation. If Fall goes down, we're going to leak goals.

Defenders

Di Maio is getting up there in years, but he's a leader in the clubhouse and his physical stats haven't fallen off too badly. He's also 6'3”, so he's going to be able to win a lot of dangerous headers, and he could even be an offensive asset when we get corner kicks.

Di Maio's centerback pairing is another aging player, who is already starting to see his physical stats decline further. He's going to make mistakes, too, with a Concentration 9 and Vision of 7 leading to him getting caught flat footed by attacking players.

Emanuele here is so unknown that after downloading 230,000 pictures of players and coaches, he still doesn't get a portrait. He should be in the U20 squad, but instead he's the only person on the entire club who can play at fullback.

Midfielders

Those are some pitiful technical skills. At least he's fast. He's going to end up getting free on counters before running downfield and tripping over his own feet when the opposing fullback gets within 10 yards of him.

Davide “James” Candolfini is a worse version of Bugaro, but at least he's only 19 and can cross the ball worth a drat.

Our first good, young senior team player! Conti at 19 is going to be molded into a box to box midfielder, running around the pitch to break up opposition moves and making passes to set up our attacks. The staff seems to think he's got potential Serie B potential, though I don't especially trust their opinions.

I'm not going to spend much time on Gadda except to say that our midfield is in trouble if he gets a lot of playing time. Worse, he's already 24 so it's unlikely he'll even improve.

This dude played in Serie A way back in 2007 for Messina, he's Made It, if only for 16 games. He's very much so getting up there in age, and will probably fall off a cliff within the next 12 months physically, but right now he's one of the best players in Serie D. He's also the team captain, and I'll be relying on him to crush attacks as they get started in the midfield.

Pestrin's backup is decent for our level, but lacking in the technical skills that would make him anything more than a supporting cast member.

Out on the right wing we find our best player, who could definitely still get a roster spot in Serie B, even if it meant he only played a scant few minutes every month. I'm concerned that our two best players and centerback pairing are nearly ready for the glue factory, though. Worse, I'm going to have to have Ceccarelli play out of position to start the pre-season as he's the only person with any familiarity at right back. He's also played in Serie A, for two seasons and 58 matches with Cesena from 2010 through 2012.

Like Gadda, if Errico gets a lot of time we're going to be in trouble.

Nice, a mid-20s player who isn't complete garbage. Nappello will play in Ceccarelli's usual spot until we have a right back, which should hopefully be within a couple weeks, but if Cecc's physical stats go into a nose dive it's nice to know we have a decent replacement in the wings.

Attackers

It figures that our best attacking player has no position to play in the tactics I'm going to be instituting. Zuppardo is going to end up sitting on the bench more than he deserves simply because we're not playing with attacking midfielders.

Finishing 12/Composure 13 is very good for a lower league striker, too bad that he's never going to get open because he's atrocious at moving off the ball.

Ornaldo Zequiri somehow found his way from Albania to San Marino, and at first glance he probably should have stayed closer to home because I don't see a lot of space for him to get playing time. Like Zuppardo, he plays a position we won't be using and while he can fake being a striker he's not going to have much success unless he really improves.

Lastly, we have Tommy Guidi, who's pretty quick and that's about it.

Reserve Squads

Under 20s Squad

Not much to see in the U-20 squad, only Ghiotti stands a chance of seeing time with the senior team outside of emergency situations.

Under 18s Squad

Woah, we've got some legitimate talents on the Under 18 squad! I see at least 7 players who have the potential to stick with us for a few years, and four of these kids could last until Serie B or even to the top flight.

Minelli is the obvious stud of the bunch, a 16 year old with those types of mental stats are hard to come by, and 14 finishing with 11 composure makes him the best striker on the team. He's got work to do, obviously, but he's exactly the sort of player I look for in a LLM game, good enough from a young age to put in work on the senior team and so young that he'll hopefully improve and stay with the club for years even as we advance through the ranks.

No one other than Minelli looks to be ready to step into the first team, but Mazzel is also pretty well developed mentally for a kid. His personality concerns me, I'll have to make sure to keep him away from the video games and working hard on the practice field.

Get back to me when you get your Drippling, Anticipation, Flair, and Off the Ball skills up, kid.

We are extremely short on fullbacks in the senior squad, right now we don't have a single person who can play right back well, so Vannucci is going to see some time with the senior squad until I can remedy that.

: Hey, take down a to-do list for me. 1) Find a right back. 2) Find a left back. 3) Find a Center Back. 4) Find a Goalkeeper. 5) Convince the bosses to take us pro.

: Si, Signora!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Viscardus posted:

I didn't really expect that to work, but sure! As a Canadian, I'm tired of my country's national team embarrasssing itself by losing to Central American and Caribbean minnows (even if our good friends the Americans decided to join us this year). I don't remember exactly what goes into talent generation into this game, so I'll just ask that you do whatever you think appropriate to increase Canada's chances of qualifying for a World Cup down the road. :canada:

Canada now generates slightly better players than the United States. Of course, the US generates a lot more players, so there's more chance to get good ones, but by 2030 Canada should be pushing to make the World Cup.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

habeasdorkus posted:

The mod I'm using to make Serie D playabe doesn't appear to have the age requirements that Viscardus mentioned, where I'd need to have a bunch of teens on the pitch at all times. This may or may not make things harder, since I tend to run a lot of youngsters out anyways as I'm a perfect example of prospect-lust that leads to ignoring significantly better players because they're too old at the age of 25.

Too bad, I was interested to see how you dealt with it. It looks like another difference is that you're only going to be able to name 7 subs and use 3, instead of naming 12 and using 5. That might be an issue given how fast a lot of these players are going to get tired. Then again I suppose most of the other teams will have the same problem.

habeasdorkus posted:

Canada now generates slightly better players than the United States. Of course, the US generates a lot more players, so there's more chance to get good ones, but by 2030 Canada should be pushing to make the World Cup.

:canada:

Edit: Oh yeah, the directorship thing. How does that work again? Do I just ask for one?

Viscardus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 15, 2018

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
Oh hey, I'm actually here on time for a Directorship! You're doing that now, right? I'm terrible at prediction games so this may be my only chance...

And will you be showing off the Dynamics in a future update?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Viscardus posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, the directorship thing. How does that work again? Do I just ask for one?

Yes.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, this should be interesting with those kind of coaching stats.

Also, sign me up for a directorship. Ground floor!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

beru04 posted:

And will you be showing off the Dynamics in a future update?

Also yes.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Cool, sign me up.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hi do I need to know anything at all about soccer to be a director

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

hi do I need to know anything at all about soccer to be a director

It's even better if you don't!

It's an honorary position, mainly. Also, you might see yourself refuse one of my requests.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

habeasdorkus posted:

It's even better if you don't!

It's an honorary position, mainly. Also, you might see yourself refuse one of my requests.

Then I'm here with my resume: :confused: ⚽📉📣

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Director spots are taken!

: Hey, some of you look familiar...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
drat. Can I put my name down for any other positions that come up? Happy to be janitor or waterboy

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
I promise to rule with a tin fist. Bow before the manageable heft of my directorship

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I just want to say that the Hired Goons Discord cued me onto the existence of the FM2014 LP, and it's been an amazing ride. I am hype as hell for San Marino to become a powerhouse.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Excellent, I loved your adventures with Wrexam this should be a great LP.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
I fondly remember reading about Wrexham even before I got this account. Looking forward to watching this develop!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Second: Making Herstory
June 26, 2017-July 9, 2017

And now I get to actually play Football Manager! Time to check my email inbox!

: Sup, y'all.

He seems nice.

And he gave me this sweet bullet list of strengths and weaknesses!

: Why yes, I will be micromanaging everything.

: Si, signora! But you must come to your press conference right away!

: I think we both know what is at stake in our relationship and the status of the club.

: I said, won't it be difficult to manage the side until you learn the language.

: Oh. Well, how hard could it really be, right? I'm sure everything will be just fine.

: Just look at my own country, our men's team is at best mediocre and our women's team is the best in the history of the world and yet it's the men who get way more money and better training facilities thrown at them. This, despite not even creating as much revenue as the woman's team!

: Oh really.

: I mean, it certainly won't make things easier, but I have confidence in myself regardless of what others think about me.

: Trust me when I say I know what I'm doing.

: What about reports that you've asked the assistant manager to accept mutual termination?

: I meant to say “almost everyone will have a chance to prove that they are worthy of being here.”

: Have you looked at the squad? I don't have any fullbacks!

: Well, almost anything. I don't need to hear their war stories from down at the osteria.

The prior manager did not do a very good job finding players who can break into our first team. Bardeggia interests me for a moment seeing as he's from Internazionale's youth system, but a quick look at his stats shows him to be pretty terrible.

That's not a bad salary for a gal with zero experience, and puts me in the top half of the division's earners. Good job at fighting the wage gap, San Marino!

Wait, what's this about scouting packages?

Uh oh. Things have changed from the old days, where I could just order my scouts to dig up tape on pretty much any player out there and give me several scouting reports a day. Now I'm going to have to put out money for scouting packages just to get basic information about who's playing.

The scouting budget is for taking trips outside of the allowed area (currently just Italy) to scout players. I bump it up, because I'm going to want to be able to send my staff to Croatia and Holland to find diamonds in the rough.

Meanwhile, instead of just telling me what their stats are and how good they expect the players to be, the scouts give me a numerical rating. If I want to actually get a good scouting report, I'm going to have to wait for our scout to watch the player over the course of weeks... and since our scouts are pretty terrible I'm going to want to not sign players based upon their gut impression.

For example, my Director of Football is saying this fella here is an excellent signing, but since he only has 10% knowledge, he can't even tell me how fast the guy is. This is going to make finding cheap, good players a lot harder.

On the plus side, players or their agents will now approach us looking for jobs, and I can have them scouted to see if they're worth signing.

Our current pre-season has two matches against our parent clubs, as well as a visit from top tier Spanish club Getafe. I cancel all but the matches against our affiliates as I want to make more money from the pre-season.

We're going to get clobbered by Napoli and Internazionale, the former is a Champions League club and the latter finished 7th last year in Serie A, but we'll also make €15,000 profit from each. That will matter as a small club. Meanwhile Pakostane and fellow Croatian minnow Skabrnja each offer us €16,000 to cross the Adriatic to play them, so that's another decent chunk of change we'll make.

Welcome to the club!

You're a significant improvement in the ways that matter to me over Jidanyi!

He's so good with the kids!

I'm also looking to hire two scouts, but my first approach goes awry.

It's really not great that the best I can do for scouting is a guy who's a 10/10 Judging Ability and Judging potential.

You're probably not wrong here, Visani.

But I'm going to wait a few months before re-upping any contracts.

Especially for kids who are still over a year away from being free agents.

: (bellowingly) WHERE'S MY LIST OF TRANSFER TARGETS!

: (put-uponedly) Coming, Signora!

I'm very tempted to go for promotion out of the gate, the media has us listed at 4th in the league even before I work my magic. But I can't justify it until I know what the team is going to look like. We aren't winning anything without fullbacks, I can tell you that.

Squad dynamics is a brand new thing in this iteration of the game. I'll be exploring it in much more depth, but suffice to say that it's important.

: Signora, it is time for your meeting with the team!

San Marino Calcio Clubhouse
July 3, 2017

: (reading from a sheet of paper-ly) Grazie, sono il tuo nuovo allenatore. Spero che, insieme, possiamo portare grandezza e gloria a questo club. So che con i tuoi corpi e la mia mente, realizzeremo prodezze per innalzare il cielo.

: (queryingly) Wait, did you just read from something you used google translate on?

: (indignantly) Of course not! Now, bear with me as my Italian is, how do you say, merda.

That's a solid result for my first team speech, in a foreign language nonetheless, but clearly Pestrin wants to finish his career by winning promotion. He's our captain, but somehow the other players paid zero attention to his complaints.

Oh, that would do it. How does a guy get made team captain when he's completely aloof from the squad? In this picture, yellow indicates “team leaders,” grey for highly influential players, red indicates influential, and blue is everyone else.

Clearly they know I'm special, if they're televising my first match ever. Or there's nothing else on TV, Napoli is a big club, and they want to show us getting our faces melted.

Hmm, Let me see if we can set up some tutoring. Ceccarelli and Pestrin both have excellent mental stats. Let's start with the Captain.

: (moodily) What we have here is a failure to communicate...

: (tenatively) Si, Signora?

: (irritatedly) Also, why are we paying this grouch €72,000 a year?! That's like 15% of our total wage bill!

: (nervously) Uh, Luca Ceccarelli is waiting outside, Signora.

: Now that's how a team leader should act!

My very first signing. Of a kid who was on our youth team, who's getting a whole €25 per week. Not the most exciting start.

I should hire a Head of Youth Development, but these guys are losers. Getting Rossi a new badge, though, would be helpful.

Aww, c'mon. It's preaseason! When else would be a better time for training?

They're going to maul us. I feel like the FCS teams that have to face Alabama so that the Red Tide never have to face good competition outside of their own conference.

They're going to maul us in part because we are completely out to lunch when it comes to understanding ANYTHING about the 4-4-2 formation. Which is kinda hard to believe, considering how basic the 4-4-2 is.

At least I have a chance to meet with the players the day before to emphasize our defensive posture, and to set up a contingency plan if we're getting hided.

Nice new match engine. It's definitely closing in on PS2 quality these days.

CAN THEY?

Yeah, pretty easily. They scored twice in the first 10 minutes off of corners, which reminds me that I need to set up something more effective than “everybody go back and try to defend.” We looked dangerous for all of five minutes during the game, but that's to be expected.

Too bad I botched the end of the match teamtalk. I need to remember that for all of his talents, Apuzzo is dreadful at man management.

Cinque took a knock during the second half, and the game now actually tells you how and where the player was hurt! So much better than having to guess whether it's serious enough that you need to pull them ASAP to avoid further injury or it's something they'll be able to play through.

That's all for this installment. Next time, we finish the pre-season, actually sign some fullbacks, and get ready to make our mark!

Oh, and one last thing...

HAHAHA. GET BENT, QATAR.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This Pestrin fella is talking himself into a one way trip to the subs bench.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I love this phase of the LP where there's just so much stuff that needs to be done to setup the basics of the team before they can progress.

That being said, definitely looks like a couple of the youngsters have some serious potential. Maybe they're no Metor Mateo, but I'm hoping that one of them is able to really grow and shine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ahem.

That's the Alabama Crimson Tide; it's clear what manner of football we're dealing with in this thread!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Third: Filling Up on Fullbacks
July 9, 2017-August 19, 2017

I've been in charge for two weeks, and I still don't have anyone who can play right fullback!

Sure, let's train that dude to use both feet. Speaking of, what's our training look like.

As per usual, the first part of preseason is focused on learning our tactics, and getting into shape.

I'm sure they'll learn just fine with my highly skilled coaching and not being able to speak Italian.

Hey, let me see that Molon guy's CV.

Niiiiiice. So long as I don't expect him to teach the kids anything.

Ok, fine. I won't send one of our starting 11 out there to aggravate their injury for a friendly.

Are y'all even paying attention to these briefings?

Funny story, the game crashed on me while playing against Santarcangelo the first time, so I had to replay this and the Inter Milan friendlies. The results were the same, but we allowed two goals to Pakostane in the original matchup from set pieces, which led to me finally drawing something up. The second time around 16 year old wonderboy Federico Minelli notched a hat trick in 15 minutes, and we cruised to victory.

Man marking tall players with tall players? Placing our defensive midfielder to zonally mark the 6 yard box? What wizardry is this?

New since the last time I played FM is the ability to shout encouragement and general instructions to your players. Back in FM14 shouts only affected team strategy, rather than individual instructions. Those team strategy changes can still be made on the fly, and now I can tell my lazy centerback to pay attention to the game, too.

I am so awesome that two friendlies into my career the players are ready to walk through walls for me. :smuggo:

More money for being sacrificial victims! The first time this friendly was played we lost only 2-0, which I was very proud of.

The mod that allows us to play in Serie D isn't that great. For one thing it has the rules of the division all wrong when it comes to squad selection requirements and substitutes allowed, and for another they have our stadium listed as having 5,500 seats instead of the real life 6,664. I fixed the latter problem, but unfortunately can't fix the former.

That got better in a hurry!

We still don't have a right back. I'm sure that won't make that much of a difference against Inter.

Welcome aboard, Giorgio. Make yourself at home, you silver fox.

I'm sick and tired of waiting for my scouts to give me some idea of how good a player is. Come on trial and let me see how good you really are.

Even the peanut gallery agrees with me.

In past iterations of Football Manager, Trial Day was a great way to find a couple of decent signings. Now I'm pretty sure that it'll take my scouts a decade to actually learn anything about the players. This time around I watch the match along with the Chief Scout, and he doesn't have a single recommended signing afterwards.

We got hammered in this game, but can count ourselves a little unlucky to have lost by 6. 4-1 would have been a more realistic scoreline. Thank goodness we don't play any more Serie A teams, these types of losses aren't great for morale.

In some ways we're really lucky that the game crashed, as the first time we played Inter we lost Pestrin for 3-4 months with a broken rib. I'll take Ceccarelli needing a few days off due to a bruised foot any day.

My first signing!

Caldore is a perfectly acceptable lower league fullback, with decent physical stats, the ability to put in an OK cross, cromulent marking and tackling scores, and ok decision-making and positioning skills. He usually plays left fullback, but since he can also fill in on the right side he's going to play out of position until someone digs up a real right back for me.

We could have gotten a result from this match, but Minelli had a bad day at the office. I'm pleased with the performance, we played a higher division team and hung in against them. Too bad we only got 142 paying customers to show up. That's another reason to rid ourselves of the Santarcangelo link.

What's this? You're contractually obligated to play us!

That's right, you better accept our suggested rescheduling!

The lads might actually know what position they're supposed to be playing by the time the season starts.

So much for getting above our station, we played worse against Serie B Cesena than we did Inter.

My scouts are still coming up dry, and finding nothing useful in the Cesena reserves, so I take their top suggestions...

Invite them to the club...

And let Mario figure out if any of them are worth keeping.

I'd put a tenner on us at those odds, especially since it doesn't account for our upcoming signings.

Yay, now we have three senior team centerbacks.

14 Marking! 14 Positioning! 14 Decisions! He's pretty slow, and he's really short for a central defender, but those are some excellent stats for a Serie D player. Mattia pushes Fantini to the bench, and will pair with Di Maio as my first choice.

I know, I know, but I'm only allowed to have 4 senior team coaches, and one of them is me!

Trust me, when I'm able to step back from personally coaching, I will in a heartbeat.

Especially since the President won't let me improve my skills.

I put out feelers for a couple more players, but apparently I'm not the only one who wants to bring them in.

Cinque and Minelli were on fire during this friendly, with Minelli providing the assists on both of Cinque's goals. We've now reached the end of our preseason matches, and we're looking... fine.

We're not looking match fit, though, despite my allowing the first team to play in reserve matches as well as our six senior team friendlies. It's going to be hard to keep everyone in shape over the course of the season.

Pestrin is still a brat, but he's gelled with the squad and he hasn't been a thorn in my side beyond the initial meeting and refusing to tutor a younger player, so he gets to keep his captaincy. I do swap in Luca Ceccarelli as vice captain instead of Di Maio, largely because Ceccarelli has better leadership stats.

Win me promotion and I shall shower you with enough money to buy a Kia. That you'd have to share.

Alioune Fall is officially returned to being a backup, and the fans are pleased with the signing of Micale.

Di Dio also gets a contract, and we officially have actual fullbacks. Just in time for the season to start.

Porto doesn't make the cut, he'd have been our fourth or fifth centerback, and I'd rather use that spot for a younger, higher ceiling bambini.

I'm sure Pestrin will be willing to tutor Ghiotti, now that he's used to me being the boss.

Manoloooo! :argh:

Apuzzo also mentioned that young Davide Candolfini had been slacking in practice, and boy was he ever. A teenager should never see this type of broad based decline in ability.

: (Disappointedly) You better do just that.

Meanwhile, this is what our kids should look like, getting first team time has improved him across the board.

More fullbacks! They've gone from a major team weakness to one of our strengths.

There, now anyone who wanted to sign him away from us will have to negotiate a transfer fee.

: (miffedly) What the heck is Football Manager?

: (knowledgably) A video game, Signora.

: (archly) And people think it can make you into a real manager? Oi. What a weird world.

Now we can change up our match training to something that matches our gameday needs.

The club could use some more highly influential players, especially seeing as we lean so heavily on older players for inspiration.

How can Mattia dislike me? He's only been with the club for a week.

This is also puzzling, since you'd think “strong sense of unity between the players” and “lack of cohesion among the players” would be mutually exclusive. My guess is that our cohesion will improve throughout the season as everyone gets familiar with each other.

Speaking of familiarity, it's going to take a bit for our new signings to fit in with the club. But Manolo has friends now!

Still, I should probably switch us from a fitness focus to gelling our team on the pitch.

As the season's kickoff draws nigh, the Titani look very strong. Minelli already rates as a solid striker, while Cinque matches him and Zuppardo provides cover. Our starting midfield is excellent, with Pestrin and Ceccarelli rating among the best players in the entire league and Conti showing plenty of potential. And our defense, which was barren when I was signed on, now sports quality across the entire back line.

We're ready for the season, excepting our woeful lack of match fitness. Thankfully we don't have to worry about fixture congestion with a single game a week scheduled. Our first match is at home in the shadow of Mount Titano taking on Via Pesaro, the oddsmakers favorites to win the league and promotion. Lets show those bookies how wrong they are.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

The mod that allows us to play in Serie D isn't that great. For one thing it has the rules of the division all wrong when it comes to squad selection requirements and substitutes allowed, and for another they have our stadium listed as having 5,500 seats instead of the real life 6,664. I fixed the latter problem, but unfortunately can't fix the former.

It also doesn't include the Coppa Italia Serie D, apparently (unless it has a different schedule for it?), so I guess we're only going to have one competition to worry about.

By the way, any chance you'll replace the in-game manager image with one of the photos you're using (assuming that's still possible)? The pig-nosed dough-faced representation of our hero is a lot less pleasant to look at than Lena Headey. :v:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So though a smidge more limited than the men's clubs of the world, this is a pretty cool and timely thing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Viscardus posted:

It also doesn't include the Coppa Italia Serie D, apparently (unless it has a different schedule for it?), so I guess we're only going to have one competition to worry about.

By the way, any chance you'll replace the in-game manager image with one of the photos you're using (assuming that's still possible)? The pig-nosed dough-faced representation of our hero is a lot less pleasant to look at than Lena Headey. :v:

Yeah, I don't see the Coppa Italia, which is unfortunate. I should have playtested more before starting.

I used the modeling software that comes with the game on a picture of Headey as Cersei to get that model. I kind of love it. It's so, so Football Manager.

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I don't see the Coppa Italia, which is unfortunate. I should have playtested more before starting.

For what it's worth, it's not the most interesting competition, since it's just Serie D teams. Considering we'll hopefully only spend one or two seasons in Serie D it shouldn't matter too much.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Did they steal the face generator from Oblivion for this game? Blank silhouettes would be more attractive to look at.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

chiefnewo posted:

Did they steal the face generator from Oblivion for this game? Blank silhouettes would be more attractive to look at.

Yes.

quote:

The most notable examples of its use are for player character creation in Tiger Woods PGA Tour (photo game face), The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and the Football Manager series

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The fact that young players today were born after the millennium is disgusting. An even worse landmark than the first year I could be my actual age in the game. Thanks for making me realise I'm old and have achieved nothing, Football Manager!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Viscardus posted:

For what it's worth, it's not the most interesting competition, since it's just Serie D teams. Considering we'll hopefully only spend one or two seasons in Serie D it shouldn't matter too much.

It'll help us keep the first team on the pitch, and we seem to be really strong for the league (the media bumped us from 4th to 2nd right before the season started, probably because we now have a back four).

But I'm in this game to win trophies, dangit!

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

It'll help us keep the first team on the pitch, and we seem to be really strong for the league (the media bumped us from 4th to 2nd right before the season started, probably because we now have a back four).

But I'm in this game to win trophies, dangit!

Well, you can technically win a second trophy if you win the league, since all 9 Serie D winners play in a tournament after the season (assuming that's in the version you have, at least - it should be called "Serie D - Poule Scudetto" or something to that effect).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:siren:Prediction Contest!:siren:

As was tradition in the old LP, I will be asking the readers to make predictions on a certain topic. For the 2017/2018 season I ask... how many goals will wonderkid Federico Minelli score in Serie D this season?

We play 34 Serie D matches in total, home and away against the 17 other clubs in the division.

The tiebreaker will be, how many points will we earn in Serie D this season? We get 3 points for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss, across 34 games. If you're guessing that we earn more than 102 points, you're not being optimistic, you're being innumerate.

The prize? A boon of your asking. Want to make West Nothingshire FC a worldbeater with a billion dollar warchest? Done. Want to turn Arsenal into a steaming pile of rubble? Already done ingame, but you can make it worse. Want to see a little version of yourself at Barcelona winning trophies alongside Messi and with a vehement hatred of Neymar? Can do. I reserve the right to modify boons, but I'll generally try to get as close to it as I can.

Entries are open until I post Chapter the Fifth, which will be the October-November update.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 16, 2018

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

23 goals. 78 points

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Let's go with 27 goals and 81 points.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA