Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Lemon-Lime posted:

Play ranked.

I'd rather miss out on the charm tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ranked > casual

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Once you play 10 matches to actually get a rank, Ranked is so much better than casual its not even funny.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Ranked > casual

As long as you don't get into copper its way better. Copper sucks though without a stack as everyone leaves constantly ime

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Copper is great because I'm Lord of the shitters down here

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd rather miss out on the charm tbh

Ok! Well, we still play ranked if you want a shot at it.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I solo'd my placements and ended up gold 3, I didn't do particularly well either. I am wondering how somebody ends placed in copper/silver... You've gotta just be immediately C4ing yourself every round I assume

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch posted:

Copper is great because I'm Lord of the shitters down here

Copper is great because I'm one of the shitters down here

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Siege is on sale! $20 for standard, $65 for complete.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

The Duggler posted:

I solo'd my placements and ended up gold 3, I didn't do particularly well either. I am wondering how somebody ends placed in copper/silver... You've gotta just be immediately C4ing yourself every round I assume

It only looks at win/loss. You can go 0/5 every game and place plat if somehow your team still wins every game. Another major factor is your last season's rank.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

pedro0930 posted:

It only looks at win/loss. You can go 0/5 every game and place plat if somehow your team still wins every game. Another major factor is your last season's rank.

That's really the only thing it should factor in, given how complicated the game is and how many ways you can contribute that aren't reflected on the scoreboard. If you constantly go 0/5 but are winning most of your games you're clearly contributing in some other way. Obviously 10 games isn't a big sample size, but it settles out pretty quickly.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
ranked is better than casual unless you are like literally 20 losses deep into Copper IV because the only way to get there is on purpose via coordinated throwing/griefing

casual is inherently less stable not even counting the fact that the already random people drop out and are replaced every other round

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I should start playing ranked I’ve just been scared cuz I’m not very good

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

my rank bounces constantly from solo queing but i can say from personal experience that the general quality of matches from bronze to gold are all better than what you'll find in casual more often than not.

win 10 games in a row in casual you'll be facing diamonds and plats. win 10 games in a row in ranked you'll most likely just be facing plats at the worst.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The Duggler posted:

Smurfs. That's how I went from placing Gold 3 to Bronze 3 in White Noise. Just an unfortunate loss streak that was extended when I started going up against people who were way better than me but who the game thought were in Bronze/Copper.

Fart Car '97 posted:

If you constantly go 0/5 but are winning most of your games you're clearly contributing in some other way.

Orrrr you're getting carried? People can place in squads, you know.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Orrrr you're getting carried? People can place in squads, you know.

It's not like I said "obviously 10 games is a small sample size but it settles out over time" or anything

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It really doesn't, if you're being carried. Plus placements are the only thing that matters to most people.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It really doesn't, if you're being carried. Plus placements are the only thing that matters to most people.

ELO systems don't work well with small samples :shrug: But over a large sample, the win/loss ratio is what matters.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 22, 2018

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

people that only play the placements are irrelevant since they just go back to casual for almost the entire season to preserve the jpeg next to their uplay avatar

anyone that actually plays ranked regularly (solo OR with friends) should easily end up somewhere comfortable for their skill level.

tbh anyone that belongs in gold/plat should be able to shoot their way there through solo play by simply ignoring the obj and playing for kills.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fart Car '97 posted:

ELO systems don't work well with small samples :shrug: But over a large sample, the win/loss ratio is what matters.

Not if you're in a squad. I guess it also doesn't matter in that case since you can look at it all as team ELO or something, but for my first couple of seasons in this game my friends carried me hard over the course of scores of games, I was in gold but probably averaged a kill or two at most per game. I was probably more like a bronze but they just picked up the slack like crazy.

I do think there's some validity to the whole "it's a team game!!" thing though, these days there's a dude in my group who is normally pretty useless at getting kills (although he pulls something off every now and then) but our success rate tanks without him, he plays other parts of the game really well and it does help a lot.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Placing Gold III felt so good.

Also yes, ranked is best mode. By a lot.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I placed Silver I then tanked hardcore, it was great.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Thief posted:

people that only play the placements are irrelevant since they just go back to casual for almost the entire season to preserve the jpeg next to their uplay avatar

I'm glad siege doesn't have rank decay for this exact reason. It actually makes ranked play better and more accurate, because people get carried to their icon then stop playing, so they stop being relevant to the MMR. It's cool

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

pedro0930 posted:

Another major factor is your last season's rank.

This is not true

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I am going to play this game!

I should not buy the starter edition. I am going to buy another edition! What edition should I buy?

I actually played the original Rainbox Six over ISDN. It wasn't bonded it was 64k but I LPB'd many people.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Garcin posted:

I should not buy the starter edition. I am going to buy another edition! What edition should I buy?

Any edition you like that isn't the Starter one. Standard comes with all 20 base operators unlocked, and more expensive editions just unlock more of the DLC operators from the get-go; otherwise, you can just use in-game currency you accumulate from playing the game to eventually unlock them.

The 20 starting operators are more than enough on their own to play the game, so it's entirely up to you how much money you want to put in the game in order to shortcut having to play it to unlock DLC operators.

The in-game currency can only be spent on DLC operators, weapon skins, hats and operator camouflage, so there's nothing better to do with it than play dress-up if you decide to spring for the most expensive edition.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I swear this game has the worst hit registration code I've experienced so far. I've been getting 0 hit regs occasionally even when enemy is super close (within 1 m?) and I'm blasting with shotgun seeing blood splatters per shot. Kill cam always shows enemy has full hp and I've done gently caress all. Only exception is when enemy is just sitting still and not even moving an inch.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aesis posted:

I swear this game has the worst hit registration code I've experienced so far. I've been getting 0 hit regs occasionally even when enemy is super close (within 1 m?) and I'm blasting with shotgun seeing blood splatters per shot. Kill cam always shows enemy has full hp and I've done gently caress all. Only exception is when enemy is just sitting still and not even moving an inch.

Kill cams and health bars in the kill cam are not always accurate. Which isn't to say that hit detection isn't also hosed up.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised how much more I like maestro than alibi. I really thought I'd love the holos but beyond one or two lucky rounds I am not very good with her.

And oh my God those evil eye cameras are so goood

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I’ve been messing around with Maestro in terrorist hunt just to try out some random placements. The AI shoots the thing the second it has line of sight so it’s good for figuring out places where you can see their feet. Also if your team mate shoots them at the same time it works but you don’t get the kills.

In casual I found on Oregon that you could drop down onto the cross bar in the tower and place one so it has a view from above. That was pretty sick view but I was playing a casual match and the enemies never made it to the bomb site to use it.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Probably because droning is effective at detecting if it’s Prisma or Alibae. Prisma is useless if you can’t trick enemy into shooting it (then kill the enemy if you can), whereas Maestro is effective at holding down enemy by just staring into camera and they can’t do much if they don’t have some explosives to clear it.

But then I just spam with Fuze.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the decoys own but you have to embrace your inner tactically toxic sociopath to get the most out of them

the shared :italy: loadout for secondary weapons is somethin else tho

maestro's LMG obviously kicks rear end but i've been using the shotgun with alibi and it is absolutely ridiculous they ever even allowed this in the game as it is.

first of all its an AA-12 - which is basically the vector of shotguns. there is no recoil considering what you're shooting and the firerate it has

but the real reason it is op is that the drum mag is so big it never actually needs to be reloaded. on top of this there is SO much reserve ammo that practically encourages you to spam it for the entire round because there is no other way to run out. if they don't alter the drum then i would very much expect them to nerf reserve ammo so take advantage of it while you can.

as it is, you can quite literally tear out every single wall and floor panel in a given map. if you really wanna go all out you have a loving pistol shotgun AND impacts on top of this.

but couple the AA12 with a Keratos and you're gonna harvest a lot of hi-octane pubbie tears. the Keratos is probably the most exploited gun of the patch. if you like pistols check it out because this thing rivals the PMM. also it makes very satisfying "clicky" sounds when you reload it which add to how solid it feels :ocelot:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can actually use the AA-12 to destroy so much of the level that the game can't handle it and it crashes everyone on the server.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You can actually use the AA-12 to destroy so much of the level that the game can't handle it and it crashes everyone on the server.

Actually, it's a little known fact that Ubisoft implemented destruction 2.0 and the server isn't crashing, the building is just collapsing on everyone.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh I played like 20 games and only racked up like four kills. Worst day of playing yet 😢

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I bought standard edition for my friend and he started with 10k creds and 500k renown?? Does anyone know how this happened?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ugh I played like 20 games and only racked up like four kills. Worst day of playing yet 😢

My friends are so good at this game that I just get dragged into cheatertopia with them. Honestly, I got legit tracked through a wall at least 3 times that day and it made me just want to quit. We only get one fairly balanced match until we start getting games that have one person with 10+ kills on the other team.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You don't have to be a cheater to get 10+ kills, especially in Ranked.

Never 5get

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno in casual I keep getting put with level 110+s while I’m level 12 so I think that’s the issue.

Still love this stupid game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I dunno in casual I keep getting put with level 110+s while I’m level 12 so I think that’s the issue.

Still love this stupid game though.
There are people who play games for hundreds of hours and stay terrible. There are plenty of people at lower ranks that have played a lot, and level is basically only indicative of playtime.