Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I'm sorry but I have to talk about this post in the last thread:

keyframe posted:

Thank you!

gently caress rook. The armor does no loving difference whatsoever in firefights and I would much rather have someone playing bandit/mute/jaeger/doc over lovely rook but every newbie player just slam picks him and drops armor and is useless the rest of the round.

Say no to rook.

This is the dumbest and most wrong post in a thread full of wrong posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

keyframe posted:

That's a solid counterpoint you got there.

I mean his ability is useless in the double secret super pro-league that you play in where everyone gets headshots 100% of the time but down in the weeds of gold/plat we're giving and receiving plenty of shots to the body. (I have ~7000 kills and of those ~2000 are headshots.) Rook gives a 20% reduction in damage taken, the same as having level 3 armor except with no speed penalty. That's pretty drat good unless you're of the opinion that 2 and 3 armor characters are all super lovely because they have a large speed penalty in exchange for a completely useless 10 or 20% reduction in damage. Remaining standing with low health is vastly preferable to being dead. The fact that it guarantees you'll be DBNO is also extremely good since defenders are often behind hard cover which prevents the person shooting you from finishing you off. Also hardly anyone knows this but Rook's armor also doubles your bleed out time which makes it much easier to crawl to safety so a friendly can revive you.

His ability is absolutely one of the best in the game. Yeah it's not very exciting to use but most of the time you're not changing up gadget placement in the middle of the game anyway. He's a fantastic pick for new players who want to use an ability that greatly helps the team that they can't possibly gently caress up while they focus on the most important part of the game, shooting people.

Like, your argument is basically "Rook is bad because everyone I play with/against is better than the best players in the world."

KnightRider posted:

Rook is useless unless you are playing against silvers. At the higher levels everyone goes for headshots anyways, there are far better operators that can contribute way more to the team. Bandit/Mute, Jager, Mira, any trap operator. If you really want a Acog than play Doc or Echo.

Then why does he have a consistently high pick rate in the pro-league? Who are you playing with that's so inhumanly good?

I'm average at best in our group but we consistently face very good players from high gold to diamond and this fabled headshots only meta is mysteriously absent from our games.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 6, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

I AM BRAWW posted:

I think Buck's AR has the most recoil of any gun. Plus, you can't throw a grip on it.

Yeah his AR is poopy, but his DMR is super good/fun.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Jack Trades posted:

I played Frost for the first time today.
Her gun is disgustingly good.

When she first came out her shotgun had ridiculous range and was insanely OP. I think they nerfed it twice and now it's merely good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

Cielings ok reinforce very important but floors? Why?

Usually reinforcing the floor is pointless but there are a couple places like the bar on Chalet where it can be bad if the enemy is throwing frags up from below you into the small objective room. There's also a few places where it's detrimental to not open the floor like the game room on House where you can somewhat defend from below or at least use it to escape danger.

Also IQ Commando chat: the Commando sucks on full auto because of the recoil but if you put a vertical grip and a muzzle brake on it and use the 3 shot burst mode it's really, really good. 3 body shots will kill/down anyone except 3 armor characters with Rook armor.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

It may just be that im new and terrible but my placement matches havent been so bad.

I mean im losing them all but no one has mics so i dont feel like im letting the team down by not talking. And i at least go 1 for 1 with deaths most rounds so thats nice.

Play with goons so you don't have to suffer.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
You can't shock ladders but you can shock deployable shields. If you put shock wire at the top of a ladder though they don't have any choice but to get shocked a good bit as they get to the top of the ladder since you can't shoot your gun while climbing. Also a very good strategy for Frost. People usually don't see the trap as they come up the ladder and they can't destroy it without a grenade even if they do see it in time. Works well at the bottom of ladders too since it's hard to see the bottom of the ladder from the top and people often just jump down without looking.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

So im new to the game and didnt understand the love for fuse since i thought you had to use him on a wall or a cieling hatch but oh my god you can just slap that poo poo on the floor. It is so much more flexible than i first thought (sidenote : i am super dumb)

Anywhere you can shoot through with a gun you can place a Fuze charge. Ying's gadget works the same way too, in addition to being throwable/rollable.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Another loving joke of an Ela nerf

"If she didn't kill you 40 bullets ago, Ela will now have to reload before finishing you off"

"Ela was literally designed to be better than every other operator, but for some reason we are finding her to be overpowered and we cannot figure out how to balance her."

What kind of loving joke is 'her gun lets her fight the enemy team better than other defenders. Also all of our data shows she needs to be nerfed but we don't know why'? Ubisoft can't develop their loving game.

It's like when Blackbeard came out and they just couldn't grasp the concept that his shield itself was the problem and that no amount of nerfing his weapons or speed could counteract the fact that his shield was too powerful. Then they finally did the shield right but kept the other unnecessary nerfs and now he's pretty meh.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

ZeusCannon posted:

Im gonna be dumb again but yings device will pump flashbangs through a wall? I had no clue i knew they could be "attached" but figured they meant like a mine or something.

Yup. A neat trick with windows is to punch the barricade once on the bottom where it overlaps the wall, then put a Ying thing on it, then you should be able to just jump through as it's going off.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

SMP posted:

Bandit's third barbed wire :negative:

Awww man gently caress that. Has literally anyone ever complained about that? Especially after the general nerf to barbed wire awhile ago.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Perestroika posted:

What is even the point of the damage "nerf" on Ash? It doesn't seem to influence shots to kill whatsoever. Is there even any conceivable edge case where it would now not kill a dude where before it would have?

There's a linear damage falloff at range so there are lots of random times it'll matter, as well as situations where random damage from explosives and stuff are in play. Plus times when the same player is shot by another person with a gun with different damage values. It's pretty minor but I wouldn't say it's totally inconsequential.

But yeah I don't believe it changes shots to kill in any situation at close range, at least for body shots.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
New title is Good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTNoW_eWK60

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

AppleDan posted:

I could only hope for this level of communication with my teammates.

And for some reason it never records my own voice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

sum posted:

Just bought the game. The OP of this thread/last thread don't really have that good of a starting guide, can anyone point me somewhere with actually useful advice?

Pick anyone but Castle and go hog wild. Once you know what you're doing you can pick Castle.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Wasn't Ela based on a female executive's cosplay or something?

Allegedly she was based on a figurine of some sort. Which is why we won't ever be getting blonde Ela like in the leaks because it looked too similar to the source material.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Revitalized posted:

One of my favorite things is when we forget we're on Hostage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqGwMKfedaE

People are always yelling hostage!!! at me when I Fuze the objective when we're playing secure area :(

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUnd1Bw8A2Q

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
24/7 Bartlett hell queue

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
The secret to being good at siege is to play in a full group of 5.

And also encyclopedic knowledge of all the maps :spergin:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Most of the clan guys aren't super good and they tend to be huge babies.

Map knowledge and decent teamwork will get you to high gold or low plat even if you're dogshit at shooting and slow as molasses like me. After that the players tend to be inhumanly fast and very aggressive. So yeah Adderall is probably a good choice.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Plat 1s and diamonds are almost universally really, really good at clicking heads. Most of them are on another level and your main hope is that you can pull some clever poo poo on them once or twice and they'll quit, which works about 75% of the time in casual and not at all in ranked :v:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrcqBvm5DEA

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

you've got yourself a nice backseat gamer there, friendo

nice 1v5, I liked seeing heads pop through the little kill hole that overlooked the stairs.

I would not be where I am today without their relentless screeching :v:

The like 30 seconds before the video starts was me asking someone to come reinforce that wall section but they were all out somehow so I just made it a kill hole.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i just started getting back into this and holy poo poo maestro is wild. even if his evil eyes didnt shoot that thermal vision is so good.

he's crazy good at anchoring sites, right? i'm not insane?

Yeah he's a very good anchor. You can even use the laser to shoot Thermite and Hibana charges if you put the evil eye so it can watch the outside wall or dropdown of an objective. Good for shooting drones too.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAu0VoLfKRM

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
They were pretty lovely back when there were a ton of them that were unavoidable but they've been designing and fixing the maps with peeking in mind for quite awhile now.

It's definitely a fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me type of thing. If it's a big problem then bring Glaz.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Best way to learn the layout of a new map is to create a custom game by the yourself and set the round length to maximum (10 min?). Then just run around looking at how everything fits together. Since you don't have to worry about being ambushed you can direct your full attention to memorizing how to get around. After that it should be much easier to pick up on the more subtle things like peeking spots and good places to hide.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wTPhAoLPw

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Qubee posted:

yeah that's cause people are hella dumb sometimes. read above where I post what a typical R6 users' headphones look like (tin cans). but I can say for a fact that you can avoid ying's flashes, even if they're in range. I've looked at a wall when it comes in and not been flashed. the only reason flashes get you sometimes when you look away is one of the balls luckily falls right underneath / in front of you without you realising and gets you.

I don't trust her discoballs cause the amount of times I chuck it into a room and instantly follow it in right as it pops, only to be sprayed from a guy as he millisecond spins around and pops me, kinda makes you lose faith in the gadget. cause attackers will know which doorway / window / hole you're pushing from, but you gotta enter the room and quickly figure out where they are, they have an advantage. and yeah, "you should drone them beforehand" yada yada, but most situations don't give you that luxury of time.

The way flashes work is you're blinded if you're looking at them from a long way away or if you're not looking at them from a shorter distance. So if a flash lands right behind you or beside you you still get blinded even if you're looking away from it. However there must be line of sight from the flash to your body (specifically the head maybe? not sure about that part) for you to be blinded so if there's a stray Twinkie wrapper between you and the flash then you won't be blinded. Since there's a lot of cover that people will naturally be hiding behind and random objects for flashes to accidentally land behind this can often greatly reduce their effectiveness, especially in rooms full of cubicles and stuff.

Fortunately for Ying she can shoot them through walls and poo poo so she can absolutely saturate most rooms with 2-3 balls firing in different places.

my kinda ape fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 7, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Bandit is pretty similar to Mute, especially if you bring barbed wire.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
If you tell someone they better pick or they'll get [bad operator] then they'll get that operator. THE GAME IS LISTENING

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
Constant matchmaking errors is a step backwards but at least all you have to do is start matchmaking again when it happens and it'll eventually work. New ops are great though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

tradjik posted:

Does anyone know if I would get the extra 600 R6 credits if I was to buy the Year 2 bundle before buying the Year 3 pass, or does it only count if you bought the Year 2 pass when it was available?

If not I'll most likely buy the Year 3 pass first to get 10% off the Year 1 and 2 bundles.

Pretty sure the bonus credits were a temporary thing if you already owned Y2 and bought Y3 before it was released (or maybe it was before the end of Y3S1?)

95% sure you can't get it now. They did the same thing with Y2 if you already had Y1. It's basically a preorder bonus.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Thief posted:

he can also knock down deployable shields with one touch from his torch which is extremely useful because vaulting gets a lot of pubbies killed

I did not know that, does it work on barbed wire too? Not that it'd be too much better than just punching it but it might be more quiet.

The best counter to Maverick is to put a deployable shield in the corner you want to hide in but facing the wall so he can't shoot you if he makes a hole right next to you. Also cameras that can watch walls he's likely to put holes in.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Guillermus posted:

I love Kapkan, that poo poo will never not be funny.

I posted this already but comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1RM5Uf2DII

What were they doing going outside with 5 seconds left? Or was the guy who ducked to the left planting

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Nebiros posted:

There's only 4 people there. Last guy bit it.

Huh? It's Doc vs two attackers and they both die when one jumps out the window with 5 seconds left on the clock and sets off a kaptrap.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

aWall posted:

Been playing this for the past month after a long hiatus from FPS games, and enjoying it- steep learning curve and gently caress that map in brazil.

I've determined that playing with teammates that will communicate makes the difference between having fun and having a poo poo time.

Do we have a list of goons playing so I don't have to make new e-friends?

Hop in Mumble and we will adopt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Samovar posted:

Is there any real point to the laser sight? It seems like all it does is inform enemies where you are aiming.

Pretty much. It's ok on shotguns and I put it on a lot of my pistols because if I'm drawing my pistol there's a good chance I'm panic spraying. Definitely on shield guys' pistols because they hipfire while hiding behind their shield a lot. There's a couple of other primaries like Maestro's LMG that have pretty good hipfire accuracy where you might consider using it but for the most part you don't want it on primary weapons because you want to be aiming down sight and it just gives you away. Also note that the laser does not disappear when you ADS, you just can't see it because your reticle always covers it.