Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

jerkstoresup posted:

I think so, I just forgot who. Always willing to add improvements or changes to the OP.

I'll do my annual one or two wins for the tournament. Add "# TEAMCAPTAIN jerkstore" to the top of your .21 rc and give me your username if you are similarly playing out of ritual at this point, and suggest a team name.

edit: Floodkiller has been doing so much recently that I forgot he made the dog people. :downs:

I'm in for a ritual win, though I'm definitely not attempting to go all in like previous tournaments (removing the purple without something to replace it was too far). I'll play until I win a Gnoll or I'm a failed developer.

Eela6 posted:

I'm unreasonably pleased you went with my thread title suggestion :3:.

I think the idea of the Harp of Healing as an evocable is a cool idea, but I still like the Wand of Healing. I don't see why they have to be exclusive!

I broke everything trying to put it back in because the wand back-end got changed since it was removed and I'm too dumb to figure it out why it keeps crashing at the moment. I know that a lot of people liked the wand though, thus the evocable.

I like the flavor ideas of both of the harp and heart, so I threw together a quick poll:
https://goo.gl/forms/RUgS89C5vwH2YrXW2

I'll leave this open until I get a decent sample size, since it's pretty simple to adjust a name and a quick flavor addition compared to how different pizza re-implementations would have been.

E:

nogic posted:

Bring Back Sludge Elves
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/commit/2d5e925b96c4f5c879af211216be3b894fb8e40a

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

It occurs to me that this evokable is pretty similar to an ambrosia except it's easier to end early. I don't think that's a problem though

Ambrosia's more about the MP regen anyway, the HP regen is just a slight bonus.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Wow cool Floodkiller, I didn't see that you made a fork, that's awesome. There's a bug in it though - it seems you have based it off the wrong crawl.

For real though, I would rather have djinni back than any of those things....if I code it will you merge?

If you have a functional pull request, I can put it up for the thread to vote on and merge if approved.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

this is where i find out they were never taken out ive just never happened to see any for a long time

It's this.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Reposting the healing evocable bikeshedding survey, make sure to vote!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FebrezeNinja posted:

Floodkiller, you posted a nice git guide last thread. Any advice on how to get involved from a dev tools/environment setup view? Like how do you test a change quickly?

I'm probably not the person to ask about dev environment setup, because mine is incredibly lazy: doing stupid poo poo like editing using Notepad++ and debugging compile errors as they come, cross-referencing the repo/commits using the search bar/grep on GitHub, deleting/recompiling the whole game if I hosed something up outside of compile issues because I can do it in about 10 minutes. The only reason I haven't fixed it yet is because I haven't started to dig into implementing any features from pure scratch; most of the stuff I work on, I can template based off a previous commit for the same type of object. If SKULL.GIF wants to post about it, he might have a better environment setup; alternatively, you can probably get a good answer for it out of ##crawl-dev.

As for testing changes quickly, you can enter wizard mode with the & key. This gives you a bunch of commands to test almost anything you want about the feature you put in. There's also the objstat tool to test spawn rates for items, as well as the arena tool to test how strong a monster is on average.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • Restore abilities potions are back. Draconian breath refreshing lovers rejoice! Also the people who like restoring drained stats, I guess.
  • The bouldernati returns...(unedited for the moment, changes can come later)

Healing survey is still going:

Additionally, first PR (pull request) survey! This survey is whether you would like the following spell (developed by Heithinn Grasida) to be added to the fork:

quote:

Blades of Disaster
Level 6, Charms/Conjurations
Manifests the fury of battle into crystallized sparks with each swing of the caster's weapon. The sparks explode in a large radius shortly after the spell expires. The damage of the explosion is based on both spellpower and the caster's weapon. Unarmed fighters find it easier to channel the full power of the spell into their attacks, but lose the benefit of their weapon.
Survey is located here:
https://goo.gl/forms/oTgzmAkMKpmrbC203

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Is it possible to give a piece of armor conditional bonuses against enemies or bonuses while in a specific floor/branch?

Gastronok enchanted The Hat of Pondering to protect against salt. The Desolation of Salt exists.

You would likely need to reintroduce a system similar to racial armors/weapons to make that functionality possible, plus some extra work of getting it to apply to artifacts/unrands.

Edge cases just for certain unrands can be simple, though (since it is added to the unrand every time).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

How hard would hand wraps be to implement?

Hand wraps as a weapon that scales off unarmed? Probably as hard as implementing hammers again (with maybe a little extra code if Unarmed needs to be made a proper weapon class instead of just being melee with no weapon). Brands could probably be easy to add to that as well.

Just allowing brands on bare hands? Probably going to require massive reworking of either hands or the branding code to allow, or creating some super sketchy workaround of making infinite duration buffs to represent hand brands.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

So, I may have accidentally broken something by trying to put Singularity back in. Now every enemy is surrounded by translocational energy:

E: Good news, I stopped turning everything purple. Bad news, singularities will only last a single turn before imploding. Coding is hard :smith:

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 9, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

Just allow gloves to be branded and to come with brands. The brand only works if you're hitting unarmed.

Gloves currently can only provide a slaying addition to melee/ranged attacks. Having them provide brands (which are an inherent part of weapons when calculating damage) would likely be as difficult as giving bare hands a brand. It also can lead to other problems, like what happens when you are swinging a branded weapon while wearing branded gloves (and if they are unarmed only, where to put all the edge cases in the attack code to exclude it)?

On another note, I'll likely close the Healing Evocable poll sometime today, since votes have slowed down and it has a decent amount of participation. The Blades of Disaster PR poll is still looking slim, so please go vote if you haven't already!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

pathetic little tramp posted:

All right, gently caress it I'm gonna start coding for this to help. All I know is FORTRAN77 though, I'm guessing C is basically the same thing?

C++. Might have to do a little light reading to catch up, nothing too bad.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

BrandorKP posted:

So what would it take to have online tiles of this fork like cao?

I just have to ask the server admin if they are willing to host it. Even if one is willing, it likely won't happen until after the tournament.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cholfo posted:

Are you keeping a list of implemented and planned deviations from .21? I didn't see anything obvious on the github page, besides just digging through commits.

About time someone started forking back in things that are cool and good.

I moved it into docs/gooncrawl. As a quick summary, I'm just going to hold off on merging major feature changes/additions/removals (which is based on my discretion). Anything minor/bug fixes/UI related (that isn't major, like LOS changes) will just get auto-merged unless I notice complaints about it (ex. I reverted the cacodemon tile back to being fatties after seeing some complaints about it, and I can merge the new one in if people FR for it to have the new tile instead).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Man, just saw the Hellcrawl notes, this might get me back into DCSS; depth clocks and food timers always felt so irritating after playing other roguelikes without them.

Just a forewarning, there is a depth clock in Hellcrawl: you will start to rot if you spend too long on a level (I think it's around 5k turns though, and there's no backtracking so you really need to be scumming to hit it).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I promised to close the healing evocable survey yesterday, but I forgot while I was trying to debug Singularity. Here's the results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XWp65k-kmirwddB5wn9-Q9DE012-2GL2At7gddjSt6I/edit?usp=sharing

Looks like it will be flavored as a Harp of Healing, so I'll probably get to implementing it after I've fixed Singularity.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I'm not sure if the Zot entrance thing will work; I remember someone else attempting to spawn multiple Zot entrances and having it gently caress up everything if the entrance despawned (which is almost guaranteed in Abyss). Trowel might work as is if I put that in, but older code might stop working depending on if anything it touched was refactored since it was last removed. On that note:

Singularity is still broken as gently caress. I've managed to make it stick around, but I can't find out where it's crashing in the current code. I've also managed to make it somewhat work (I think, I've never used the old version) in a different branch by just installing the initial patch. However, in order to bring the latter version up to speed with the version that was removed, I'm going to have to go through all Singularity related commits one at a time and re-apply them (until it breaks). This isn't going to be easy because not every commit that touched Singularity code was identified in the commit notes, so I'll have to go through every commit until the removal to figure it out.

For now, I'll keep Singularity out of the main fork so that I can get the other remaining features in without worrying about the broken code (on either version) screwing things up. I'll pull the current (crashing) version out to a separate branch here if anyone with code knowledge wants to figure out why it's breaking (I think it's related to the _attract_actor method with what I've narrowed down from debug mode, but I'm not sure where). I'll work on updating the older Singularity on a different side branch after I finish the rest of the features on the design doc. Whichever version gets working first, I'll merge back into the Gooncrawl fork.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If that Gnoll check is still in the code, that should be taken out (that was for the statlocked version).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Crawl had permanent undead minions?! You mean you didn't always have to resummon things for no reason?!6

Yred still has them. It's only the spells that got the restriction (which was mainly blamed on Animate Skeleton allowing anyone to snowball and stash loads skeletons per floor if they felt like it).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Jiyva has jiggled onto the Temple VIP list (Zin's not too happy about it)

Please go vote for the Blades of Disaster pull request if you haven't already:
It's still lacking enough votes for me to confidently close it. Even if you don't care one way or the other, just put in a vote for "I don't care" so I know you've looked at it!

I'll also get around to updating the FR list soon (maybe today?)

Also, I apologize to team Bring Back Everything. Despite the dev work, I haven't felt like actually playing Crawl enough to finish a game yet. Sorry for taking up a space!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Took some days off working on Gooncrawl to play some Path of Exile, but I'm back on it again. Progress update:
  • Crazy Yiuf's beloved hammers are back (they may be spawning in other places too; let me know so I can track them down if necessary)

Stuff I still want to get done before v1.0:
  • Re-add normal sheep
  • Add harp of healing
  • Partial Malmutate removal: I've got working replacement spells for cacodemons and neqoxecs, but the orb of fire change turned out to be too lethal (and I still don't really have a solid plan for shining eyes). At the very least, a partial reform that removes it from demons should make things tolerable until I fix the rest.

The rest of the features left on the design document will move to the next version (and will be mandatory for that version). I'll figure out how to proceed on discussion of feature details and new polls for the next version after v1.0 is finished.

I'll close the Blades of Disaster poll today (votes have stopped coming in), so vote if you haven't already:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Teal posted:

I know this will get shot down but what if instead of removing malmutate you just removed (or lowered) the bias towards bad mutations and made it all-random (or bit less likely to be bad, wiki says 80% bad, 20% random but it's from .17 and I dunno if that changed since)

:sludgepal:

I kinda really like random mutations; I know well why I must never ever expose myself to IRL gambling; I'd fall for it badly.

My hatred towards Malmutate is that it remains one of the few sources of permanent damage to characters in Crawl, and the damage it inflicts can be incredibly severe for even a single instance. I personally think that permanent damage is something that should be used extremely sparingly or not at all (at the very least, not by sources outside of the player's control). Being a monster spell does not really fit the definition of used sparingly.

I'm okay with re-implementing all sorts of stuff I hate (I let item destruction on to the FR survey, even though it does the same thing but to a much lesser degree), but Malmutate is the sacred cow that I will gut and butcher with no regard for outside opinions. I just want to make sure the monsters still stay interesting after I take it from them.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Malmutate as it is is definitely "extremely sparingly". It seems like more often not I don't get any malmutations outside of Zot. Item destruction was harsh because you had to always be vigilant, malmutators have been rare since monster polymorph was changed. (I don't do extended though, maybe that's the difference.)

No worries though, my fork would disregard your opinions on my religious beliefs, as well.

Cacodemons and neqoxecs basically ruin Malmutate, which is why I'm okay with pressing ahead with v1.0 with just those two changed at the moment. I can take a look again and see if it's worth going back for orbs of fire or shining eyes after seeing how annoyed I get with Malmutate at that point.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

Smallest, fun-est change to malmutate: just have it use the effects of a monster using a wand of poly on you (MR checks?). Congratulations, you are now a piggie. Run pig, run!

edit: or keep malmutate, but have it check MR. There are hundreds of ways of fixing it. I just think that the poly-wand change is loving brilliant, and it's such a shame that it's so rare to see it in action

That sounds like it might work for shining eyes, so I'll keep it in mind. Orbs of fire would probably be way too insane with that (monster spellpower is based on HD, so you'd probably need 4+ pips of MR to resist it and a bad polymorph would be awful while fighting orbs of fire).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• You can heal yourself with the power of rocka mystical harp (still need to add the noise, forgot due to late night coding. Likely just going to be noise 4 for a small amount of flavor)

Blades of Disaster poll closed, with an overwhelming amount of yes votes (there was a "No" vote, but they also had a second vote as "I don't care" with a later timestamp so I took that). Voting results here (I left comments this time in case Heithinn Grasida wants to adjust anything based on them before I merge):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IZccabWVr5P3JZkS0XO0YoIw3hPliHktq1j1pshBjHU/edit?usp=drivesdk

I'll also be merging Araganzar's crablang pull request (after a minor fix). I won't start a poll for this one because it's an rcfile language option and doesn't directly affect the gameplay.

PS-Somebody save me from my programmer art:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Neqoxecs now have Paralyze instead of Malmutate (along the theme of mind flayers). This keeps them as a large threat out of demon summonings at low-mid levels (as well as banishments) without drastically increasing their lethality, as they lack good offensive power to follow it up on their own (they just get more turns to summon or int drain). Additionally, their low HD means that even natural MR growth on an average species can out-scale its power by the late game (unlike how Malmutate made them consistently a number one threat at all levels).
  • Cacodemons now have Entropic Weave (the corrosive smite from entropy weavers) instead of Malmutate. This synergizes with Dig and their spell set's intention to disrupt the player amidst bigger threats. This takes a bit of their solo power away (spending a turn to corrode is definitely less meaningful to the player in a 1v1 than Malmutate), but improves their ability to support in larger fights. They won't rapid fire it like entropy weavers, but it should go off enough to be meaningful. Maybe this also makes rCorr more useful for Extended?

Still need to re-add normal sheep and merge the PRs. I'll see if I can also fit in making a couple vaults (like the ninja turtles suggestion). Aiming to 'release' v1.0 on Friday/Saturday by putting together the offline Windows compilations for download (looking for volunteers who can knock out the other OSs), as well as messaging server ops to see if anyone's willing to host the branch online.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• Sheep are back and retain their explosive qualities/baleful 'baaaa'ing.

All that's left is merging the PRs and maybe adding a couple vaults. After that, I've got to update the changelog (and other docs) and move everything to a gooncrawl-stable branch so I don't start breaking things on a finished version with future development, and to make it easier for server ops to host if any are willing. Everything should be good to go for a release at that point.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm not actually gonna make the ninja turtle vault because I don't want to learn enough intricacies to make it a full sewer and what's even the point if it isn't a sewer

How to make a sewer vault:
1) Make whatever vault you were going to make.
2) Stick some up stairs (<) where the portals out would be.
3) Stick it in the sewer file below the "default-depth: Sewer" line (line 341) if it's a sewer level, or above that line if it's a sewer entry vault.

I was probably just going to make a small closet with pizza, four turtles, a rat, and ninja weapon substitutes. If you have a bigger idea of what you were looking for, feel free to just make the outline in a pastebin and I can stick it together in the right places.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I'd also have to figure out how to add adolescent snapping turtles to the game but if that's easy too maybe I'll give it a try. All I really had was what you said except it's a sewer.

Check out line 972 to see how it changes merfolk sirens/avatars to a weaker version with a new name.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

How do you go about testing a temporary branch vault? Normal vaults you can just give absurd weights but I don't even see weights for sewer vaults

Here's the vault in case somebody decides it's easier to just test it themselves instead of teaching me how to do it. No guarantee it even functions, much less is interesting or fun.

Throw WEIGHT: 5000 on the line under name, which should guarantee that it gets picked when being randomly chosen. Otherwise, you can also force spawn it using wizard mode, but that can be buggy. I can just test it quickly myself, however.

One thing I spotted at first glance while waiting for my latest version to build: 'pizza' needs to be replaced with 'ration tile:food_pizza'.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Okay that version of the vault is way way way way too hard

Yeah, there doesn't appear to be a way to alter physical attacks through vault information either. Guess snapping turtles are just a bit too much to throw into sewers.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I could probably make them depth-appropriate monsters like orcs, and then give them turtle tiles...I think. This would have the benefit of making the turtles wield weapons.

This is bad to do because it can lead players who aren't familiar with the vault to associate the tile/monster name with something different than the actual monster.

It might be better to ditch the sewer portal vault approach and put the vault somewhere else at a depth appropriate to snapping turtles.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, here's a much lower-scope variant that's just a room full of pizza, mut potions, and ninja-y weapons alongside a rat and four turtles. In wizmode I discovered that four snapping turtles simultaneously is kinda tough even for a maxed-out character but on the other hand you can just back off and use normal luring tactics. It's not like Shoals and late dungeon can't get multiple dangerous enemies with reach at the same time just through normal monster generation, and a few almost-guaranteed mut potions seems like a reasonable reward to me.

Committed!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Messages have been sent out to various server admins (awaiting responses) and I've been struggling to get zips/installers built for the code, but you can download and self-build v1.0 of Gooncrawl from here:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/tree/gooncrawl_stable
The install instructions that are used for normal DCSS should all still be valid. If you would prefer to wait for more convenience, I should figure out how to get the zips/installers built sometime this weekend, and server admins should respond eventually with a positive or negative for WebTiles.

Additionally, here's the changelog; anything that was on the design document that isn't in the changelog will be automatically carried over to v1.1/v2.0's design doc, as I felt it would take too long to delay getting a baseline out to get those items in:
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/blob/gooncrawl_stable/crawl-ref/docs/gooncrawl/changelog.txt

Edit-
Zips for Windows compilations of Console and Tiles are complete, and can be downloaded here (named Gooncrawl):
https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases
Installer is still busted, but this is probably better than setting up Git for many people. If you have a different OS and the ability to compile/package, please toss up a link for people!

e2- Forgot to mention that the above is 64-bit; does anyone actually need a 32-bit compilation?

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Elephant Parade posted:

Wait, did anyone ever actually play sludge elves? Between their lack of a niche and them not really existing as enemies, I was okay with their removal. Maybe they should be added to the sewer and/or given some kind of gimmick?

They were voted in without changes by the thread, that's why they are in as is. Feel free to propose something if you think it needs changing and I can add it to the FR list for the next survey.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl is now on CPO! Thanks chequers!

As a side note, please ignore the tournament reminder message until it gets rebuilt :doh:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

The day has come!

Side note for people not as in love with online play, is there an offline tiled build somewhere I could download?

https://github.com/Floodkiller/crawl/releases

Download Gooncrawl_v1.0_tiles.zip (still can't get an installer package to work), unzip, and play!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Floodkiller: I can build mac binaries if you'd like.

I would appreciate it if you can!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

I hope it ends up on berotato sometime, because CPO is very laggy for me.

I haven't gotten responses from johnstein (CBRO) or Medar (CXC) yet. I'll try again when I feel I wouldn't be annoying them with messages, as that would probably not help with trying to get Gooncrawl hosted on their servers.

If you (or others) want to help get it hosted, feel free to do something like making a request post in the Gooncrawl thread (and mass thanking it) on Tavern, or discussing it in off-site places like ##crawl or Reddit; showing it has a significant audience might help convince them it's worth the effort to host it. However, please don't spam them with messages/requests directly or they may get turned off on the idea.

As for development for the next version, I'll be getting together a post for some discussion topics soon. Just taking a couple days to watch and make sure nothing's breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

Are Shining Eyes still supposed to have Malmutate? Just asking for a friend

For the moment, yes (also orbs of fire). I was mainly focused on demon Malmutate as that's where most of the over use is, and I didn't want to slow down a release to code a new monster spell. Expect it to most likely change next version.

• Locked thread