Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
AGDQ is my favorite part of the holiday season. Time to gather round the traditional AGDQ tree and sing traditional carols such as "O Come, All Ye Faithful, And Watch This Banjo Run" and "Hark! The Herald, Angels Sing, And That's Certainly Never Happened Before."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Is anyone running bingo this time around? I won last time and intended to contribute to the first winner, but if not I'll think of some other reason to toss out the prize.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Endorph posted:

turn-a is really good. it has a scene where they use the gundam as a washing machine, all the mechs are designed by the guy who designed the cityscapes and vehicles in blade runner, and this happens:

So does that work out for him?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Bliss Authority posted:

Super hoip to see both runners spend 500 rupees on a fishman and get a single arrow back

I'm rooting for a 499 rupee loss myself, that 1 rupee cashback always feels extra insulting.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I remember people started posting Sonic comic covers of him being sad during that run. Was a great time to be in the thread.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

axeil posted:

btw this run went from 0 to hilarious/trainwreck fast and stays in maximum "everything is hosed" all run. it's great

This is one of my favorite runs ever for this reason.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I think Sam, Tolki and Stivitybobo all sound like legitimate names for characters from an undiscovered Tolkien work.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I used to just lurk these threads but during SGDQ last year I finally participated and it made my GDQ a lot more fun. It also really helps when I think I'm about to skip a run because I don't see the appeal and someone indicates the run is going to be awesome, sometimes gets me to watch something I didn't think would be a big deal but it is.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

What was the BotW drama?

The community for the game decided not to submit any runs until AGDQ 2018 so they could have more time to refine it, and the runner who got in did so anyway, and the community was upset because there were other runners with better times. Some people felt that anyone has a right to submit a run if they want, other disagreed.

edit: Beaten and I removed another detail because I don't recall well.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
In BOTW it's consider a different category if you use amiibo vs if you don't.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I voted Wrinkly because she never called me an entitled millennial.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Corek posted:

There were literally 54 animorphs books and a new one came out every month as a way to extort children

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Animorphs_books

It sucks to think when I was a kid that extortion came in the form of cheap literature I had to go to a book store to get, and not loot boxes. Today's kids don't know how convenient they've got it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

Guys what are some more of your favorite GDQ memories :allears:

I've got a couple but I want to be nice and let my friends have a turn cause y'all know me I'm a yapper and a storyteller

This is kind of weirdly personal but during this last SDGQ all the cuck jokes during Stiv's run not only were funny but they helped me laugh through the fact that my significant other at the time was clearly falling for someone else. It didn't work out for me in the end, and so it's good that I was able to have some laughs as that was a stressful time.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Other great memories I've had with past GDQs include PJ's entire Lagoon run a couple years back, the first time they made $1 million, the Blaster Master run where everyone was in awe when a boss didn't spawn and the runner just got the item. Every awful games block, especially people in these threads reacting to the end of that godawful Rocky and Bullwinkle game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Seeing the event starts with Crash Bandicoot 3 just reminds me of that awful run of 2 and how running a game in that series must feel relatively low pressure because you can't possibly be worse than that run.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
IMO the main quest of BOTW is such a minute amount of the appealing content in the game that having it spoiled is unlikely to make the game less fun, but it's understandable if you want the joy of discovering everything on your own.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TheMopeSquad posted:

I have a pretty lovely memory but this run from the first games done quick I ever watched always stands out in my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFBVqgOgGAQ

It's Charles Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden from AGDQ 2014

The pizza gag is always funny to me.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Each punch somehow more succinct than the last.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
LTTP Rando needs a donation incentive to free the cucco under the pot in Kakariko village. I always do that in my runs because it just isn't right not to.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
For runs I'm looking forward to, always the awful block, everything else is just a bonus. Today I'm primarily looking forward to Splatoon 2.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Happy Speedmas one and all

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Had to kill during this run. Put my money towards kill the viewer. Lets kick viewer's butt!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

I post about it every year but I still don't understand why anyone reads twitch chat! I'm not even the type that gets offended at anything but there is just zero value in it and it's literally unreadable cause of the speed and it's a race to the bottom as far as trying to be obnoxious so why bother! Hang in here with us instead! :)

I don't get it either and I also think the emote spamming is awful especially because the Twitch emotes are also all awful.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Always nice to start with SpikeVegeta and PMG, they've both been such great contributors to these events over the years.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I was gonna joke about someone training for the Mega Man X race by just doing a bunch of actual physical training but Caleb probably did that in the past.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

SoftNum posted:

It's Open "glitchless" afaik.

In the case of randomizer glitchless means that the shuffle will not require you to use glitches to complete the seed, but you can still use minor glitches to your benefit (so the bomb jump in Ice Palace is allowed, but just going OOB and walking straight to the Triforce is not).

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

TeaJay posted:

Darkman is being Producer Kan from Game Center CX here

Game Center CX, aka Awesome Games Done Eventually

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I have never been a fan of levels like this where you have to run towards the camera but visually this looks amazing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Literal cheese strats is funny, good devs.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Erata posted:

I hope it involves a marriage proposal at the same time

What happens at AGDQ stays in Pastebin

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

itskage posted:

Yes, crystal mom has blessed me with her power.

I had the same thought drat it.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Is there an awful games block this year?

Yeah we're in it

Nah it's Thursday AM and has wonders like Enviro-bear 2000

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Save the frames, kill the frames.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Ramos posted:

That and frame perfect are the free space.

Has anyone said "HOIPE" yet?

My favorite it when someone mentions a trick is frame perfect and then adds "and this game runs at xx frames per second so it's actually very hard"

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I don't check Twitch's homepage ever so I am kinda surprised League of Legends is still a big thing.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
The last hit come up annnnd TIME is not yet but it's coming

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Arguments about football players are [Intelligent] [Humorous] [Tasteful]

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

kidcoelacanth posted:

"Splatoon 2 Dance Party" is a phrase that make me excited and terrified

There are two steps to the dance:
Stay off the hook,
Don't get cooked!

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mo_Steel posted:

Shovel Knight OST is so good goddamn.

Pilot Knight's level theme is one of my favorite video game songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Brother Entropy posted:

please do not disrespect propeller knight like this

Wow I really straight up got that name wrong. I'm sorry Propeller Knight

• Locked thread