Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

He won't have the whole book thrown at him because I don't think he's even had a week off before. He'll still get weeks, just not 7. Probably closer to 5.

It's a lucky dip though because I've seen less get more, more get less etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

When the Gaff punch happened I thought it was the Vardy bump that got people riled up. No replay of the incident were shown at the ground

Hell be lucky to play in the GF if the Eagles go all the way

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bad record isn’t a thing anymore is it?

That hit deserves 6-8 imo. I’d be disgusted if it’s less than 6.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Geez, that's ugly. What was he thinking? Poor Brayshaw, pretty rough to come in as an 18 year old and get your jaw broken and several teeth knocked in.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

cmndstab posted:

Geez, that's ugly. What was he thinking? Poor Brayshaw, pretty rough to come in as an 18 year old and get your jaw broken and several teeth knocked in.

You see, he was actually trying to get him in the chest with that huge roundhouse but Brayshaw just happened to go lower when Gaff let fly. OTT reaction calling it assault imo. :hurr:

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

They should just remove the MRP from all intrastate derbys/showdowns/whatever

CHAOSDEATHBALL

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Send Gaff to Carlton/Suns/Saints as punishment imo

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Periphery posted:

Send Gaff to Carlton imo

That's just cruel

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1026059763170373632?s=19

Lmfao how do you actually say this with a straight face

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I mean, I'm sure he didn't intend to cave in the guy's face. He just wanted to bust him up a little. Boys will be boys etc.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Even though I personally believe it's not really of Gaff to smack people in the face - Simpson saying that instead of "He acknowledges it and he's upset about it, we'll have to wait and see what the tribunal says" is dumb as gently caress. There's no getting around a broken jaw and 4 missing teeth.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Fox spoke to Gaff in the rooms after the game and he seemed genuinely distraught and only wanted to apologise to Brayshaw, didn’t try to down play it, unlike Simpson talking through his hat in the presser.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

They will offer 4-5 weeks, because of his "good bloke" defence, i.e. never been before the tribunal before etc.

If they are stupid enough to try and appeal, he will get the full 8, hopefully more. Because that was a round armed haymaker thrown at a young kids face putting him in hospital.

And poo poo like that has no place in the game, or at all.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Wow I watched it after seeing all of your reactions and it was still worse than I expected. Ridiculously dirty, and if he misses a grand final it'll be less than he deserves. How much worse can it get before you start thinking about criminal charges?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

C'mon, this is no Barry Hall turn around and deliberately try to knock your opponent out. It's a derby, he's been niggling him for 3 quarters, and I really don't buy into the idea that he intended to smack Brayshaw in the jaw and cause what he caused, but it happened. Yes it's poo poo and has no place in the game, but saying he should be suspended beyond a Grand Final and put in jail is just a massive overreaction.

They won't appeal this, you'd have to be seriously hosed in the head to even think about challenging this one.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
MRP historically goes soft when there’s a possible grand final appearance

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Diet Crack posted:

It's a derby, he's been niggling him for 3 quarters

Lmao if you think this is a relevant consideration

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Given it was a West Coast home game, I'm surprised Gaff didn't get a free kick for it

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Honestly, it's not that different to the Barry Hall one. In both cases it was a player basically deciding, gently caress the guy who's playing on me, I'm going to pop him in the head as hard as I can.

The only difference is that Barry Hall is an experienced boxer.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Jordan Lewis broke Cripps jaw 100m away and got 3 weeks. MRP chook raffle

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
On a lighter note, Graham Cornes makes a tilt at the prestigious “dumbest man in football” race

https://twitter.com/cornesy12/status/1025999532633411584?s=21

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001

Diet Crack posted:

It's a derby, he's been niggling him for 3 quarters

If that’s the sort of thing that sets you off enough to deliberately break someone’s jaw, maybe you shouldn’t be playing football.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

C'mon, this is no Barry Hall turn around and deliberately try to knock your opponent out.

The hell it isn't. He punched a kid in the face hard enough to break his jaw, and it was no accident. What exactly makes this different to the Hall case besides Gaff's previously clean record? I'm sure Staker did something annoying too, what a poo poo excuse "niggle" is.

And no I wasn't calling for him to be chucked in jail, I'm honestly asking what you'd have to do before that's on the table because I don't know the answer.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

A baby ate my dingo posted:

If that’s the sort of thing that sets you off enough to deliberately break someone’s jaw, maybe you shouldn’t be playing football.

Not to smack him in the jaw, but to bump him or hit him in the shoulder or whatever happens so many loving countless other times in football.

Solemn Sloth posted:

On a lighter note, Graham Cornes makes a tilt at the prestigious “dumbest man in football” race

If I were an AFLW player I'd just be walking away and concentrating on Amateur footy and my career at this point. What a loving joke.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

Jeremy Cameron got 5 and Gaffs hit was worse. If he did that on the streets he could get a criminal conviction.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

King Pawn posted:

The hell it isn't. He punched a kid

He's a paid professional footballer, not a loving child.

He's going to get weeks, I don't really know what more you guys want. He's not going to get a criminal conviction for this.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hashtag Green Eyed Monster? loving seriously?

Graham has long been against women's footy. His issues with it seem to range from he doesn't want to see women get hurt, to nobody wants to see it anyway, to why don't they spend the money expanding the game in traditional footy areas like NT and Tassie, etc. He's been against it from the start. No surprise to see him doubling down here.

I used to really enjoy listening to him on the radio back in the day too :(

Edit: I just went and actually listened to Liz's comments and I can't see how anybody in the world would disagree with her. They weren't hysterical, they weren't aggressive. They were spot on. gently caress Graham Cornes.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 5, 2018

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Not sure I buy the excuse that some are making that Brayshaw just ducked at the wrong moment. Okay, so he was planning to hit the kid in the chest with enough force to fracture a jaw and knock out several teeth? I'm not sure that's much of an excuse.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ducking thing is pretty nonsense

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I reckon if he had hit Bradshaw like that and just knocked him out, that would be 4 weeks. Knocking out four of his teeth and sending him to hospital with a broken jaw? Gotta be six.

I don’t deny that Gaff isn’t genuinely remorseful about it, but I don’t think you get punished less for feeling bad.

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?
Seeing the photo of Andrews bottom teeth knocked out isn't great look for football but atleast we get to see the west coast supporters defend it.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ohsosad posted:

Seeing the photo of Andrews bottom teeth knocked out isn't great look for football but atleast we get to see the west coast supporters defend it.

Given the amount of poo poo and hate we have put on Barry hall, it's pretty tough to defend. Throw the book at him. That's got no place in any game and the only reason he wouldn't be up for assault is because it's on a footy pitch, which for some reason means you can knock a guys teeth out in front of 50,000 people, on camera and the only reprimand means you don't get to play sportsball for a month or two.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ohsosad posted:

I've learned that the Eagles fans nickname for Lyon is Ross Weinstein

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

To defend Gaff and say "it's not THAT bad" or "not as bad as Barry Hall" is asinine, it was a deliberate act on someone not able to brace or defend themselves, text book "coward's punch"

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Eagles need to take a leaf about the Demons book when Bugg knocked out Mills, just shut up and cop what's coming without argument.

Different situation with one being a fringe player and the other being what is probably the B&F leader but there's no other option to come away with it with any reputations intact

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/jayraycol/status/1026039084349718528?s=19

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I don't actually know what I expected but this looks way dumber than I ever imagined

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

I don't actually know what I expected but this looks way dumber than I ever imagined

I watched a bit of that game on TV and didn't see any full back use the length of the "square", most barely went half way kicking out

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

racing identity posted:

Given it was a West Coast home game, I'm surprised Gaff didn't get a free kick for it

Brayshaw should get at least 8 weeks for biting Gaff's fist with enough force to break his own jaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/freodockers/status/1026251723222831104?s=21