Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuddenExpire
Jun 29, 2005

expired...

:ms::angel:

fake edit: ah gently caress pro snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

well my interview seemed good until the whiteboard started. the guy for the whiteboard part was completely unreadable and i have no idea how it went.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have a phone screen in an hour and i cant figure out what the company actually does even though they have a big marketing website. enterprise nonsense all the way down.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have one tomorrow which should be fun.

Hasn't sunk in yet.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i have a phone screen in an hour and i cant figure out what the company actually does even though they have a big marketing website. enterprise nonsense all the way down.

can I be the web scale synergy

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
A complete cloud-native framework to protect endpoints with ease: Stop breaches with the power of big data, artificial intelligence (AI) and real-time visibility

https://www.crowdstrike.com/endpoint-security-products/falcon-platform/

working on software that doesn't actually do anything has its upsides

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah i already got turned down after yesterday's interview, i choked way too hard on the whiteboard 'vending machine' class design

that should have been easy why did i struggle so much ugh

i'm skilled at debugging, tracing, and solving code problems, not design and architecture--don't even like doing that stuff, let alone know the first thing about it

i feel for the first time like i've chosen the wrong career but i can't do anything else, so guess i'd better study harder this time

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 12, 2019

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
idk its like a interposer that watches for DDoS or other common exploits and shuts things down if they're fishy

that's the pitch at least

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

idk its like a interposer that watches for DDoS or other common exploits and shuts things down if they're fishy

that's the pitch at least

just seems like wishful thinking, like you can just buy this security product instead of investing in security engineers. i guess that's enterprise for you

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
why do folks hire pentesters instead of just ramping up a whole persistent red team with salaries and benefits

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

just seems like wishful thinking, like you can just buy this security product instead of investing in security engineers. i guess that's enterprise for you
by any measure of reality that's true

but if you rub a WAF over your network then you get to tick off boxes for your ISO 27001 certification, which some big prospective customer is making you pass before they consder giving you $$$

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

JawnV6 posted:

why do folks hire pentesters instead of just ramping up a whole persistent red team with salaries and benefits

i see your point but pentesters can actually provide useful recommendations which can be used to hold management accountable.

imo this poo poo exists so companies like xperian can say 'well we did security!' when they suffer their nth data breach.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Less than 2 weeks before my soul is officially intellectual property of electronic arts, my company is forcing every employee to attend some day long worthless "organizational culture workshop" and is also threatening to start withholding all kitchen privileges from all employees because a few people are leaving dirty dishes in the sink. I'm literally laughing myself to the door.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qhat posted:

Less than 2 weeks before my soul is officially intellectual property of electronic arts, my company is forcing every employee to attend some day long worthless "organizational culture workshop" and is also threatening to start withholding all kitchen privileges from all employees because a few people are leaving dirty dishes in the sink. I'm literally laughing myself to the door.
be sure to surreptitiously poo poo in the sink on your final day

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

qhat posted:

sounds like you should just walk out. give yourself a nice break between jobs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Ciaphas posted:

yeah i already got turned down after yesterday's interview, i choked way too hard on the whiteboard 'vending machine' class design

i'm skilled at debugging, tracing, and solving code problems, not design and architecture--don't even like doing that stuff, let alone know the first thing about it

i feel for the first time like i've chosen the wrong career but i can't do anything else, so guess i'd better study harder this time

read up on a few architectures and stick to one you can easily do and explain, no need to reinvent the wheel. MVC(MVP), MVVM, etc. google one and it will be good enough for an interview.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ciaphas posted:

yeah this happens all the time. i've bombed shitloads of interviews because my brain decided to just gently caress off when i needed it while other times i've knocked it out of the park while completely winging it.

what's fun is when you think you've totally bombed and they like you anyways or when you think you've aced it and they insta-reject you. get used to this whole process being lovely and random

see thread title

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Take home test I was agonising about was apparently good enough for them to invite me in :toot: honestly I probably should have just done it in Scala my actual day job lang

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sounds like you should just walk out. give yourself a nice break between jobs

I wish, although I have a 30d notice period to run down. I'm not doing a whole lot at work tbh other than studying for the new job, so I'm happy with getting paid to do that.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ciaphas posted:

1. you dont have to be good at everything to be a good and useful programmer
2. i had an amazon screen where i forgot how to write a for-loop. interviewing sucks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

read up on a few architectures and stick to one you can easily do and explain, no need to reinvent the wheel. MVC(MVP), MVVM, etc. google one and it will be good enough for an interview.

yeah we were doing mvvm stuff in WPF when i left oldjob, I should have been at least able to relate to that, but I even fumbled on like 'maybe a class to handle inputs from buttons, another to track currency'. brain just turned off and i couldn't think out even the basics, heh

i just need to figure out how to relax. i can do it in the long term with thanks to therapy and antidepressants but i guess for pressure situations i just gotta practice keeping my brain on. :shrug:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
was the "vending machine class design" actually about modelling state machines? because it does sound like that to me

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Symbolic Butt posted:

was the "vending machine class design" actually about modelling state machines? because it does sound like that to me

yeah it's like the first example in csp

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Symbolic Butt posted:

I can't really answer this which makes me think that what they really wanted was ill-defined in the first place; they asked for a "block class diagram to represent a vending machine", no reference to state machine models or anything else

so instead of foundering i should have prodded them for what they were really looking for, i guess? which is pretty much what i'd do at work, with a "the hell are you talking about" polite email

lesson learned, maybe?? man interviewing sucks

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
true, you will sometimes be given vague "requirements" in interviews and expected to ask clarifying questions

but sometimes someone is just a lovely interviewer too vOv

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Ciaphas posted:

I can't really answer this which makes me think that what they really wanted was ill-defined in the first place; they asked for a "block class diagram to represent a vending machine", no reference to state machine models or anything else

so instead of foundering i should have prodded them for what they were really looking for, i guess? which is pretty much what i'd do at work, with a "the hell are you talking about" polite email

lesson learned, maybe?? man interviewing sucks

yeah i think they just wanted you to draw a box and indicate what fields and methods the vending machine would have. i'd be really surprised if you cant do this, you probably overthought it which is what i do.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah i think they just wanted you to draw a box and indicate what fields and methods the vending machine would have. i'd be really surprised if you cant do this, you probably overthought it which is what i do.

i extremely overthought it, yes, that much I can do in a couple sodding minutes. I got trapped in minutiae

I also now recall that one of the four interviewers came in late and was... rather gruff and not personable at all, that ratcheted me up too :shrug:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cold on a Cob posted:

true, you will sometimes be given vague "requirements" in interviews and expected to ask clarifying questions

but sometimes someone is just a lovely interviewer too vOv

my favorite was my phone interview with facebook. i was asking follow-up questions throughout the entire process and getting vague 'mmhmm's back which told me he wasn't even really paying attention. i get to the end and the guy starts actually looking over my code and surprise i was way off in the weeds. he then tells me that i should have studied cracking the coding interview harder and hangs up.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Ciaphas posted:

I also now recall that one of the four interviewers came in late and was... rather gruff and not personable at all, that ratcheted me up too :shrug:

we do this on purpose for one stage of our process but that's because we're a consulting outfit and it's expected that you can deal with assholes with a smile on your face

that's basically the only reason i can think that would justify someone being a dick during an interview so this dude was probably just a dick

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Rex-Goliath posted:

he then tells me that i should have studied cracking the coding interview harder and hangs up.

lol wtf

when i refer to tech interviewing as being a shibboleth this is what i'm talking about right here, valuing rote learning of "in-group" knowledge instead of, ya know, actual and practical coding ability

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol wtf

when i refer to tech interviewing as being a shibboleth this is what i'm talking about right here, valuing rote learning of "in-group" knowledge instead of, ya know, actual and practical coding ability

yeah lol "go read this 3rd party book and study our very predictable interview if you want to work at our company"

who cares if it's relevant to the position you're filling

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

2. i had an amazon screen where i forgot how to write a for-loop. interviewing sucks.

i had this happen with google and a while loop

Rex-Goliath posted:

tells me that i should have studied cracking the coding interview harder

this is the poo poo that gets me. they obviously know the system can be gamed. why is the process still the way it is?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KidDynamite posted:

this is the poo poo that gets me. they obviously know the system can be gamed. why is the process still the way it is?

extremely :same:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

KidDynamite posted:

The idea of denying someone because of "culture fit" is too nebulous, but denying them because of failing to complete a test is a "verifiable data point", so that's okay. At least that's my take on it.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the worst part about interviewing is that the payoff is having to go to work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

the worst part about interviewing is that the payoff is having to go to work

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006