Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

knowing what you want/can get and asking for it > not saying anything > not knowing what you want/can get and saying something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Thanks guys. I really want the job at the FAANG over this place but want to keep them around as a backup if I fail the onsite. That's why I'm so hesitant to give a number right now. I'll just try to slow down the process I guess. Hopefully that's not too much of a dick move.

E: this is such a first world problem. Thanks again to all the people posting in this thread and the POS in general.

Acer Pilot fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 24, 2019

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

gently caress. Second on-site with a place that didn't lead to an offer. Two more on-sites this week but was hoping to play offers against each other now just hoping to see an offer.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

knowing what you want/can get and asking for it > not saying anything > not knowing what you want/can get and saying something

I'd personally disagree. I'd always try to get them to state a number first because, hey, their budget and expectations could be beyond yours. Ask for more than what you want if you're gonna ask because until you know the budget you're at an informational disadvantage. I'd say if you're gonna ask for a number shoot for the highest number you can say with a straight face and uncracked voice. If they really want you they'll still make their offer. If they were otherwise hiring you on the basis that you were cheaper than the next guy, what do you think your coworkers/work environment will be like?

And seriously, if you don't know, you don't know. Don't feel like you've got to say a number just because they put you on the spot.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
still have ~year of college and no discernable skill or talent. how do i land a job? i dont have any friends in computers

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

still have ~year of college and no discernable skill or talent. how do i land a job? i dont have any friends in computers

your college should be hosting career fairs. if they don't you can probably find some in your area to go to

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Scott Baio Nudes posted:

You have a year to write a resume and start applying for jobs. So uh... get on it. Start the applying 4 or more months before you graduate. Better yet, start going to field-relevant meetups, groups, and social events and you'll form the connections you need organically. That will get you waaaay better prospects than playing resume roulette.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Yeah meetups for whatever field you want to get into is also A+

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
cool thanks. im a remote student so ill look for local fairs and clubs. after a couples weeks of applying ive only heard back from scammers. started applying to internships even though i have a full time already rip

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Acer Pilot posted:

Now an HR person there wants to call me to talk about the offer. I highly suspect they're going to ask for a number again. What are some good deflections?
"I'm not sure exactly, but I'll be comparing it with the other offers."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ShadowHawk posted:

"I'm not sure exactly, but I'll be comparing it with the other offers."

ooh, this is good

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

Thanks guys. I really want the job at the FAANG over this place but want to keep them around as a backup if I fail the onsite. That's why I'm so hesitant to give a number right now. I'll just try to slow down the process I guess. Hopefully that's not too much of a dick move.

E: this is such a first world problem. Thanks again to all the people posting in this thread and the POS in general.

this is one of the rare times being 100% honest is actually going to work

"what salary would you accept for this job"
"i'm hesitant to say a number until I hear back from <FAANG>"

at this point listen closely to see if you can hear which expletive(s) the HR person uses under their breath

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok so I think I'm meeting with the final boss of LA company tomorrow morning (he's in the EU.) Assuming this goes well, if it's more than a formality, I will finally have to discuss the number they offered me. How exactly do I word a counter?

"I think this is an excellent offer, but it does not align with my current expectations for this position and responsibilities which is x+y%"

Is something like that ok?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Ok so I think I'm meeting with the final boss of LA company tomorrow morning (he's in the EU.) Assuming this goes well, if it's more than a formality, I will finally have to discuss the number they offered me. How exactly do I word a counter?

"I think this is an excellent offer, but it does not align with my current expectations for this position and responsibilities which is x+y%"

I know I've mentioned this 1000 times before but if they're in california they have to provide you with a salary range if you ask

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

KidDynamite posted:

Stick to his right flank when the eyes turn red also remember you don't have to hold your most powerful healing items in reserve. Watch out for the change in attack timings in phase two.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
so you may remember (probably not) that after bitching endlessly that I couldn't find a job, I found a job in feb

the problem is, there's no work for me to do there. my team's tied up in politics that is a combination of low priorities and contractual commitments. the company put several hundred overseas developers on retainer and only they have been allowed to touch the code that I was told I would be working on. most of the people on-site are committed to a different product from the greenfield that I was put on

I sized up this situation for the most part in the interview process but the hiring manager assured me that it would be different. He resigned abruptly soon after I started btw. people seem to work only 2/3 of a shift and the new manager spends all of his time recruiting more people (who I get to interview, even though there's no development going on and no particular plan of what to develop)

not sure what purpose staying there serves tbh, except perhaps to drive my career further into the toilet

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 25, 2019

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

That sucks :(

No harm in beginning the interviewing process again, this time with a job at least. Whats their work from home policy?

Find something new and just never put this one on the resume.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gazpacho posted:

so you may remember (probably not) that after bitching endlessly that I couldn't find a job, I found a job in feb

the problem is, there's no work for me to do there. my team's tied up in politics that is a combination of low priorities and contractual commitments. the company put several hundred overseas developers on retainer and only they have been allowed to touch the code that I was told I would be working on. most of the people on-site are committed to a different product from the greenfield that I was put on

I sized up this situation for the most part in the interview process but the hiring manager assured me that it would be different. He resigned abruptly soon after I started btw. people seem to work only 2/3 of a shift and the new manager spends all of his time recruiting more people (who I get to interview, even though there's no development going on and no particular plan of what to develop)

not sure what purpose staying there serves tbh, except perhaps to drive my career further into the toilet

poo poo happens, you can never know how awful a place is until you actually start. The good thing is right now you are earning money and you can continue doing that every day while you search for a better job.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"earning"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

accumulating, anyway

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You're right btw, I shouldn't have put "microservice technology" on my rez on the basis of my docker experience. because now people are under the impression that I know how to microservice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
working on nothing is more ethical than working on weapons or privacy invading bullshit apps, so don't sweat it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

No harm in beginning the interviewing process again, this time with a job at least. Whats their work from home policy?
The Boss announced a few weeks ago that it would no longer be allowed, yet seats remain conspicuously and intermittently empty

ADINSX posted:

Find something new and just never put this one on the resume.
I should explain it briefly if asked though right? I mean, "I found a job but it's unsatisfactory" vs "I haven't had work for >half a year"?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
given that you have no work to do, it wouldn't technically be "working from home"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The work involves your computer and indeed.com

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

I should explain it briefly if asked though right? I mean, "I found a job but it's unsatisfactory" vs "I haven't had work for >half a year"?

Oh sure. Tell them you took a chance on a company that isn't working out. If they're a smaller company or startup, make sure you mention that, since there are plenty of train wrecks out there.

Once you get a job, just pretend like the current one never existed... That's basically what I did for my last job hunt: I had left the company I'd been with for 2.5 years, then tried a different company and left after 3 months. I wanted to mention it so it didn't seem I hadn't been doing anything with the time, but now that I'm employed no one's ever gonna know.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

the only cardinal sin is saying "oh my god those people were loving assholes" it's okay to say a job sucked, just couch it in neutral factual language "yeah i didn't have any work for 3 months and my boss quit after 2 weeks, it wasnt a great fit"

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

that place I was talking about yesterday offered me almost 30k more than I知 making right now. almost as much as the salaries posted for the faang I知 hoping to get into. thanks for all the advice. not saying a number definitely works.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Acer Pilot posted:

that place I was talking about yesterday offered me almost 30k more than I’m making right now. almost as much as the salaries posted for the faang I’m hoping to get into. thanks for all the advice. not saying a number definitely works.

Congrats!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Acer Pilot posted:

that place I was talking about yesterday offered me almost 30k more than I知 making right now. almost as much as the salaries posted for the faang I知 hoping to get into. thanks for all the advice. not saying a number definitely works.

Hell yes dude. Play it cool, wait for the other offer to roll in, freak out for a bit over your decisions, and then enjoy your new job and figgies

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Acer Pilot posted:

Hell yeah, awesome job

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

Gazpacho posted:

so you have no work to do but you're still getting paid? congrats, you're in the best kind of job

if you at all care about career development, you can work on personal projects during work hours. it's actually more impressive on a resume to bullshit a few talking points about your job and state you built a programming language or whatever in your spare time

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Pie Colony posted:

if you at all care about career development, you can work on personal projects during work hours. it's actually more impressive on a resume to bullshit a few talking points about your job and state you built a programming language or whatever in your spare time

Eh, I don't know about this. At the beginning of someone's career sure, but at some point impressive accomplishments have to come from team efforts; plus I personally have a really hard time staying motivated when I'm not doing anything interesting, or worse, when I'm not doing anything interesting and yet busy work still occupies maybe half (or more of) my time.

If you end up staying there and genuinely don't do anything for a year or so an interviewer could spot that, working on side projects during that time is better than nothing, but better than that would be something cool developed by the team.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
fair enough, my experience doing exactly that and succeeding was at the start of my career. i still think it's possible to work on solo projects that are technically interesting and personally satisfying no matter where you are in your career, but i can't imagine doing that if i had a full-time programming job to do as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anyone have any amazon specific advice? i've heard bad things about culture with some teams at amazon so one thing i'd like to know is when in the interview process are you actually interacting with people that would be on your team?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

they're gonna ask you about the pillars

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

they're gonna ask you about the pillars

declaration of faith, obligatory prime, compulsory smile links, fasting during prime days and pilgrimage to Seattle?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

declaration of faith, obligatory prime, compulsory smile links, fasting during prime days and pilgrimage to Seattle?

Twin pilgrimages, the greater and lesser. Lesser is to sf

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

anyone have any amazon specific advice? i've heard bad things about culture with some teams at amazon so one thing i'd like to know is when in the interview process are you actually interacting with people that would be on your team?

Not necessarily in my experience. I met the PM and the hiring manager, but none of my peers.

I'm nearly a month in and I'm still enjoying it. Our team's working on some fun green field stuff in AWS, and its pretty interesting; I imagine it wouldn't be as fun working on legacy software. The good news is AWS seems to be hiring quite a bit, including our team if you want to PM me :)

The other nice thing about Amazon is they're really open to switching teams so far as I can tell, so worst case you can get in the door and switch teams if you have to (that's the theory anyway, I haven't been here long and like my team)

As for the process itself, it really wasn't too bad. They'll do a pre-screen coding question, which will work for multiple teams if you want to interview with more than one. They'll also ask for a writing sample.

They're big on their 14 values so make sure you learn them if you're serious about applying (they're online). A lot of the character questions are centered around them ("Tell me about a time you dug deep") so have little anecdotes ready for all of them basically.

Other than that its a pretty normal interview... make sure you know your graph poo poo because every interview in the world apparently needs some sort of graph problem. Its a predominantly java company if that matters to you, but I did my whiteboarding in python it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Flat Daddy posted:

last night I said gently caress it and just applied to all the big ones and got my first response. I知 hoping the process takes 1 billion years because while I知 really killing it with the strings and linked lists portion of CTCI, if there痴 anything harder than those questions I think I知 hosed.

Flat Daddy posted:

thanks good to know. I already responded to setting up the recruiter screen in the next couple of days (before I saw the responses itt, whoops) but I値l try and delay the rest. and go back and read the posts on minimum spanning trees I skipped in the meantime

this has turned into an onsite... now im feeling a lot of maybe false confidence because the phone screen was waaaay easy for what I would expect a faang interview to be. pls let the onsite just be fizz buzz somehow

unfortunately this is for 1 specific slot that opened up so I also have to hope not even 1 person is better than me lol

Flat Daddy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 26, 2019