Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Pie Colony posted:

you would have 200 more seconds for the good (doesn’t have to be hard) question is my point. the only way asking fizzbuzz is more efficient is if you walk out your candidates immediately after failing fizzbuzz, which i wouldn’t recommend for basic decency reasons

I absolutely will do this. There is no sense wasting everyones time and it gives the interviewee a strong signal where they hosed up and how they hosed up without having to explicitly provide that feedback which my company policy prevents me from doing. In addition doesnt give them any false hope about maybe this job will come through. It may seem ~indecent~ to you or whatever but it is the kindest thing I can do in the position i am in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

it would make software a lot better and we would get paid more, on the other hand I don't like jumping through hoops 🤔

me neither and yet thats basically all i do all day any more so why not one more

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
should note you claimed the broken quad

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

bob dobbs is dead posted:

should note you claimed the broken quad

i always feel like a quad that crosses page boundaries isnt worth claiming, thats just my personal biases though

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

me neither and yet thats basically all i do all day any more so why not one more

yeah thats all computering is really

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i still wrapped it up and just rejected with hard prejudice in the meeting afterwards the time i got called a chink by my interviewee so lol

lol what

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, right? my go to nutso interviewee story

told it in this thread twice

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i still wrapped it up and just rejected with hard prejudice in the meeting afterwards the time i got called a chink by my interviewee so lol

my biggest interviewing regret is not immediately ending an interview when a candidate made a racist comment

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah, right? my go to nutso interviewee story

told it in this thread twice

i have two interview stories which i will reproduce here for your amusement:

1) so this guy comes in and we do the usual interview things. He's pretty senior, but not some super bigshot. We start on the whiteboardy stuff and he's ok but doesnt really like to talk about stuff, even after we prompt him that what we're really looking for is someone who can communicate well about what they're doing because it was an XP shop and it was pair programming all the time - a fact he knew about when he accepted the interview btw. Anyway, so he's pretty much just a "accept problem, think, produce answer" guy and me and the other dude interviewing him are just kinda sitting there watching him doodle on the whiteboard and he stops, sighs, kinda loosens his shoulders and says "I dont have to do this" and grabs his bags and walks out without another word.

2) not really an interview question per se but a dude came in that had "educational software for african grey parrots" on his resume - he was apparently part of some research project - but everyone wanted to ask questions about writing bird software. People out in the cubes were like "the birdware guy is here!! the birdware guy is here!!"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how was the birdware

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
need birdware deets

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

need birdware deets

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

1) so this guy comes in and we do the usual interview things. He's pretty senior, but not some super bigshot. We start on the whiteboardy stuff and he's ok but doesnt really like to talk about stuff, even after we prompt him that what we're really looking for is someone who can communicate well about what they're doing because it was an XP shop and it was pair programming all the time - a fact he knew about when he accepted the interview btw. Anyway, so he's pretty much just a "accept problem, think, produce answer" guy and me and the other dude interviewing him are just kinda sitting there watching him doodle on the whiteboard and he stops, sighs, kinda loosens his shoulders and says "I dont have to do this" and grabs his bags and walks out without another word.

this is the only acceptable way to handle things when you find yourself interviewing at an xp shop. the only thing he could have done better was not showing up to begin with.

gently caress that pivotal nonsense

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

respect imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

need birdware deets

it was in Qt on one of those touchscreens that rely on a grid of IR beams. It was a lot of kinda vocabulary building stuff with pictures, like someone reading a primer to a preverbal kid. There were quizzes with like "pick the apple from this grid of four images" type of questions.

apparently the hard part is that the bird would lose engagement really easy, especially after kind of halfassedly answering a question and having it not register, and there was some attempt at voice recognition as well but this was back in like 2005 or so and voice recognition wasn't very good.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah all power to that guy but it was just surprising

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

this is the only acceptable way to handle things when you find yourself interviewing at an xp shop. the only thing he could have done better was not showing up to begin with.

gently caress that pivotal nonsense

eh

i have some complex feelings about it but i would probably not want to do it full time, its very exhausting.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
my bad interviewing stories are just the standard 'absolutely could not stop gaping at my collegues breasts' type of thing.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Not a Children posted:

As a side note I've been using one of the previously mentioned interview questions to try to teach myself python by building Minesweeper in console, thank you for the project inspiration

its a quality learning project imo, you got yer data structures, you got yer input sanitizing, ya got yer algorithms, you got a buncha good stuff

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

were they good breasts?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ive had people do all this things, from googling answers on a phone interview and reading me the first result to asking me what a String was for a Java job. there are indeed a lot of charlatans in tech and I'm a self taught moron so I don't even think I'm that good, but gently caress me some truly awful candidates have ended up in front of me in person somehow and it makes me so mad to remember every time I've been ghosted for interviews to have it probably be taken up by some moron like that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lol i forgot about my recent round of interviews

1) the person who both spelled and pronounced it as 'interger'
2) the person who was in fact struggling with fizzbuzz who dropped off the call, then 5 minutes later logged back in saying their internet died and then proceeded to do the fizzbuzz flawlessly without any further input.
3) the person who was clearly being coached by someone behind the camera

rotor fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 10, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

3) the person who was clearly being coached by someone behind the camera

it's amazing how frequently these are popping up now

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rotor posted:

and it was pair programming all the time

:stonk: That sounds horrible.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Quackles posted:

:stonk: That sounds horrible.

idk it had its upsides. It was really intensely social which is good for some kinds of people, lots of the engineers ended up as very good friends. But of course that has downsides as well. Mostly it was just really exhausting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

rotor posted:

1) the person who both spelled and pronounced it as 'interger'

frequently a 9 or 11 keystroke word for me :negative:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i was on a team that had a new cto come in and decide that the entire engineering department needed an overhaul, so he shipped everyone to the local pivotal office where they would be taught to adopt the pivotal way of xp.

minor snags: i was the only remote member of the team, and while iaac and devopsy poo poo was on my plate and lends okay to pair work, a huge chunk of it was doing manual account creation/onboarding/offboarding of user accounts on services we were too cheap to pay for sso integration on. this work really was kinda pointless to pair on, but i spent *months* with a pivot watching over my shoulder on google hangouts as i did this.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

oh, and i once had a pair budgeting session with a pivot. jesus, wtf.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

nudgenudgetilt posted:

minor snags: i was the only remote member of the team, and while iaac and devopsy poo poo was on my plate and lends okay to pair work, a huge chunk of it was doing manual account creation/onboarding/offboarding of user accounts on services we were too cheap to pay for sso integration on. this work really was kinda pointless to pair on, but i spent *months* with a pivot watching over my shoulder on google hangouts as i did this.

lmao this sounds loving awful but i feel like this is more of a "pivotal wants to get paid" problem and less of a "xp sucks" problem

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it'd be pretty dope to be the person "pairing" on that that just hangs out and messes with hobby stuff and makes baño though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

[homer voice] can you, uh, work faster?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

makes bank. great job ios

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
papa I have to make baño

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

so back to interviewing, i love talking to all these massive corp folks who were recently laid off. i ask how they feel about working for a small company, and they start talking about when they joined a company with "only" 500 engineers, glossing over the fact they're talking to a company with a total head count closer to 10 currently.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

if you don’t mind talking about this i’d like to know more. did they just blurt it out casually in a sentence while trying to be friendly? did it have venom behind it? did they realize they’d hosed up at any point afterwards?

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I've probably posted about it in this thread before but at one of the first dev jobs I had the owner and I finished interviewing a woman who was obviously the most qualified candidate, she left the office and before I could explain how she was stand out technically he turned to me and said "well we can't hire her, she had a child last year, she'll want another soon."

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
ed: whoops

Chopstick Dystopia fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Feb 10, 2023

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

bob has posted that story before and i'm convinced it was my ex coworker brendan. he texted me at the start of covid "how bout this wuhan flu" and i texted back "i hear they're calling it the boomer remover" and he never texted me back. like i honestly believe this is him.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I've probably posted about it in this thread before but at one of the first dev jobs I had the owner and I finished interviewing a woman who was obviously the most qualified candidate, she left the office and before I could explain how she was stand out technically he turned to me and said "well we can't hire her, she had a child last year, she'll want another soon."

I had several interviewers probe about my home life during interviews during my last go-round and it bugs the hell out of me. I don’t have any special situation but it sure as hell felt like they were trying to feel out whether my home life competes with my professional life. I eventually started just stonewalling at “I live with my partner” when it came to that line of banter-but-really-trying-to-figure-out-if-you’ll-work-overtime

if anyone asks about your home life, lie or obfuscate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
i had a coworker years ago who would ask if i wanted to order "chink food" for lunch on a regular basis

meaning chinese food from a local place that was honestly p good but goddamn dude