Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

it always boggles me when people suck so bad at their interviews. it's like my guy, i literally just asked you an easy question about a thing you said you were good at. why are you failing. this is so sad for you.

Interviews can be very stressful for a million different reasons and learning to read incompetence from interview nerves as an interviewer is a good skill in my experience :shrug:. Funnily enough FizzBuzz fits in this category where its simple enough even if you got interview nerves you should get it without much trouble.

If I'm on a technical panel I always lead with that I don't care what your resume says or the position is for. If its beneath you, you can answer it in 30 seconds and we all happily move on. The number of PhDs I gotta interview who cant do basic coding challenge is staggering in my experience though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

rotor posted:

yeah like i get it, interviews are stressful but I can only lower the bar so far. Like i dont even insist you get fizzbuzz perfectly right, but you cant struggle with syntax and you cant be confused about how if works vs if/else.

Ya 100%, I guess I was circling back to why I think something like FizzBuzz is and will always valuable. If you cant answer FizzBuzz competently thats incompetence or nerves that I don't want to deal with. If you can and start hamming up further questions maybe I'll give benefit of the doubt everything else considering.

I guess it must be nice to have an interview process where you can trust that everyone you get has a certain measure of competency, certainly I've been asked it or its equivalence at FAANGs (in the distant past) so I'm not sure who that is but :shrug:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pie Colony posted:

you would have 200 more seconds for the good (doesn’t have to be hard) question is my point. the only way asking fizzbuzz is more efficient is if you walk out your candidates immediately after failing fizzbuzz, which i wouldn’t recommend for basic decency reasons

Yes?

Look if you lied and/or misled your way to a software panel where you cant answer FizzBuzz why should I give a poo poo, you're an idiot wasting everybodies time. I don't outright standup and leave but I 100% stop my questioning and checkout if I have to handhold someone through a FizzBuzz, "Well I guess that's about all the questions I had" and punt to a peer or start small talk till the hours up.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i still wrapped it up and just rejected with hard prejudice in the meeting afterwards the time i got called a chink by my interviewee so lol

Jesus christ, ya that's 100% justified

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

I would be happy to get this as a problem because it's an opportunity to talk about and ask questions about lots of things. And you can demonstrate that you have a decent debugging process even if you don't get all the way in time.

I'm apparently going to be fizzbuzzed next week, not sure how good a signal it can possibly send if the recruiter is telling people it's coming.

Not a good one imo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

raminasi posted:

does anyone have a link to a thing that someone wrote about tech interviews concluding that their purpose is to select for compliance and fealty to the company rather than any particular technical skillset? i know that's a vague description but if i had more to go on i could probably find it myself. i wanna say it was on some weird platform like tumblr or something but i could be misremembering that part.

"Company" is doing a lot of heavy lifting unless the article does a better job describing it. I could give a poo poo about my employer but ya when I interview people it would be nice if we got along. Not sure how thats different from any other social situation?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
God are yall interviewing that much, sounds exhausting

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
a bit off topic but are googlers still trying to unionize? Or did the layoffs gut that

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Don't use blur who gives a poo poo unless you've got a sex dungeon behind you.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Corla Plankun posted:

i interviewed for a job once where the interviewer vaped a fat cloud on camera during the interview

i almost hung up there and then but it was like data engineering for a political party and it would have been fuckin fascinating

what a power move that person sounds rad as hell.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
My tactic of searching tech job boards and applying directly to the company website has worked out the best for me, gently caress recruiters and linkedin.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PokeJoe posted:

if you want some skin crawling advice take a useless PM bait cert class (i.e. SAFe) and use it to network

Our org is whole hog into SAFe and boy howdy what a way to waste everyones time and money

Everyone hates it too but were beholden to it because like 3 PMO people cant come up with stats to do their job effectively without forcing 300 people to go through the rituals

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 9, 2023

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Man i did a hour commute for three or six months before deciding never again, what a waste of your life. I won't take a job i cant reasonably get a 15 minute commute or less or be fully remote. Lifes to short to sit in traffic

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

go play outside Skyler posted:

it's me, i'm the guy commuting 2.5 hours one-way almost twice a week

but this is switzerland. i can sleep or work in that motherfucking train.

my boss knows if they ask more of me i'll just quit lol.

hey at least ur trains are always on time :laugh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

theflyingexecutive posted:

update: just applied for a hospital pm job that had a "scheduling skills assessment" with questions like "if the project is 12 days behind schedule and the one remaining work package will take 7 days, what day will the project be done?"

also had the biggest salary for some reason

Tomorrow. Or else

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

PokeJoe posted:

Just tell them that. Put the pressure on em

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnimeIsTrash posted:

good, dont work for companies like that

Facebook, google, banks all probably do more direct harm than wasting taxpayer money on defense projects :ssh:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

DJ Commie posted:

making my way through the thread since i am going to be resume building and hopefully interviewing

i've been a technican and worked into a network admin role, and have done for almost half a dozen years. i do everything from customer end tier 1 call-ins to core/edge routing, is it reasonable to claim the full breadth of that stuff even though i don't have ccna/ccnp yet? is the cert worth the figgies increase?

If its relevant to your target audience list it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

rotor posted:

Being a recruiter isnt really a great job.

Oddly i have a cousin who is (was? Havent talked in years) a recruiter and they love it. Different strokes etc

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

bob dobbs is dead posted:

one of the most important tasks of salespeeps is lying. if you cant lie while selling it or if it isnt profitable to lie while sellin it it doesnt get sold by salespeeps it gets sold in vending machines. so you dont know, unless you're relatively certain that you're actually in their confidence and not just like at the, 'oh i got a cousin gotta say stuff to em' level

you got some weird familial hang ups if your gut reaction is "surely they were lying to me, how can anyone possibly enjoy that job".

yes im sure they enjoyed it at the time

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
The one good recruiter i had made it explicitly clear they didnt get commission or w/e for placing me, idk how common or not that is

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

AnoHito posted:

gently caress ‘em, they don’t deserve the help.

Basically. If you think you can say something to help out people you give a poo poo about still there then talk about that, sometimes you can affect change in your local OU. Otherwise who gives a poo poo

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ultrafilter posted:

I've never left a job without moving to a new state and industry, so being honest in exit interviews has never really come around to bite me. Wouldn't recommend that as a life plan, though.

Same

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Jabor posted:

the thing about train driving is that you have basically no control over whether today is the day an idiot decides to race you over a level crossing, and you definitely have no ability to stop in time if they lose

maybe im a psychopath but i dont think being a conductor and hitting / killing someone would affect me, at least as long as i dont see the aftermath. your not really "driving" the train and you, as said, have less than no control over it or the people.

Being a first responder tho, no loving thanks. My buddy works in the ER and he says hes just completely desensitized to it and views people as meat if he doesn't know them personally.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Just hit the junk button

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
just did an interview where the candidate was sharing their screen and proceeded to google the question prompt and just paste in the (wrong) answer.

im gonna be giggling about this all day

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
ya i tend to avoid doing interviews as much as i can, it gets dire. still I've never had someone do that before and not even paste the right answer like maybe i could have given you points for knowing how to quickly google the right thing but come on

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Shame Boy posted:

hi i just lost my layoff virginity, now what

sorry to hear that

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
interviews are going well, had someone ask if we cared if they punch our softball technical question into chatgpt

:negative:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

raminasi posted:

what did you say lol

(i have no idea what i would say)

i was with my boss so we just kinda were dumbfounded and said "ughh no lets work through the problem" and then we painfully pulled them through it before ending it.

ill probably talk to him about killing it early from now on though cause yikes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

MononcQc posted:

a position you never fill may serve the role of keeping the devs in line while they await help that will never come, therefore keeping production costs lower.

what? at no point have i ever thought "wow this position isnt filling i better work harder" and in fact there can be only one conclusion, they're offering poo poo pay and consequently im under paid

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
whats everyone using to search for remote jobs these days?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
yea i stopped using linkedin a while ago, not worth the spam.

i guess i was asking for sites like otta ill check that out, otherwise i've used hackernews monthly job posts mostly successfuly, https://whoishiring.io/ and a couple other random sites ive not actually had luck with.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

remote jobs don’t exist because i don’t believe any company corporation or business exists that actually trusts an employee they can’t measure via butt-in-chair

im working a remote job right now!!!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Pollyanna posted:

they all think we’re lazy slackers

is this not true? :hmmyes:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
18 hrs a week sounds exhausting

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

nudgenudgetilt posted:

devops is the art of transforming yaml into paychecks

:lol:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
i like to tell my managers "thank you for your service"

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

actually you do because there are a number of non age related reasons to not sell alchohol

"no you cannot see my license" as i pound a forty in one hand and this shortest path question with the other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

I mean it's fun to post about but this is an aspect of acab that I have personal experience with and strong feelings about

sorry friend not trying to upset anyone or bring up bad memories, alcohol can be really lovely for a lot of reasons, going manic here with a toddler that wont sleep. buddy just quit his job cause his boss is an alcoholic who comes to work drunk every day, it can be awful.