Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

the point of those "tell me about bulletpoint" questions is to gauge the candidate's ability to clearly explain their understanding of a problem and how it was solved. it's just that most engineers don't really understand how to interpret that signal, because they're probably also bad at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

well-read undead posted:

the point of those "tell me about bulletpoint" questions is to gauge the candidate's ability to clearly explain their understanding of a problem and how it was solved. it's just that most engineers don't really understand how to interpret that signal, because they're probably also bad at it

at algo gauntlets it's just an icebreaker that is irrelevant to their actual feedback (unless maybe your answer has any slurs in it). you can tell because they do this:

i am a moron posted:

*immediately stops paying attention until candidate stops talking*

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

raminasi posted:

at algo gauntlets

yeah that is not the appropriate venue for a question like that, and they're essentially cargo culting interview behavior i guess

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

well-read undead posted:

yeah that is not the appropriate venue for a question like that, and they're essentially cargo culting interview behavior i guess

Almost all interviews are just cargo cult where the interviewer doesn't understand the purpose of the questions or how to evaluate.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the median amount of formal training most interviewers receive is literally zero

most places are lucky if their interviewers know to stay away from Protected Class questions ("do you have any kids?", "what year did you greaduate?", etc.)

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
If you’re talking about the US, being a parent isn’t a protected class in any way, shape or form. But asking someone about pregnancy is a big no-no. The age question also only applies if they’re over 40.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
IANAL

i am a moron posted:

If you’re talking about the US, being a parent isn’t a protected class in any way, shape or form. But asking someone about pregnancy is a big no-no. The age question also only applies if they’re over 40.

This is a big ol it depends. For protection under fed law by the EEOC under the ADEA age discrimination is for people 40+, I think. Plenty of US states or locales, even lovely red ones, have state laws that do not specify that its for people over 40 and have interpreted it to prevent age discrimination of all kinds. e.g. policies against hiring people under 21 may run afoul of those laws.

EDIT:
Some states (maybe DC, not sure) also have laws regarding discrimination against parents beyond the federal protection of sex discrimination and the various pregnancy related protections (FMLA, ADA).

So saying these arent protected classes in any way shape or form in the US isn't accurate.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 15, 2023

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
When I'm looking at resumes it's comparative if I have more than 10 to look at I only care about finding the top 3. I'll look at a cover letter if something seems weird or unclear on the resume or if it seems like the resume of someone good but not a good match for the role. Otherwise if you're already in that top 3 and you have a cover letter I don't care. It doesn't hurt if you have the time imo.

I have been interviewed because of a cover letter before, but that was earlier in my career and tend not to write them anymore.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

i am a moron posted:

definitely dont ask about pregnancy but also dont ask people if they have kids in an interview either

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

probably doesnt need to be said but one more post never hurt no one

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

i am a moron posted:

The age question also only applies if they’re over 40.

“Hey, if you’re younger than 40, how old are you?”

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I didn’t really consider any non-federal laws regarding that sort of thing. I don’t recall the multinational I worked at as a manager mentioning anything besides federal laws, my current company is smaller but also has worldwide headquarters and the management training didn’t include anything besides federally protected classes. I’m also not a lawyer. Pretty sure you can freely discriminate against parents though. The age thing idk, pretty sure asking someone’s age is a ‘yellow’ behavior which means HR might raise their eyebrow at me but I won’t get fired if I remember the training. But saying ‘I fired that old motherfucker John because I couldn’t stand his wrinkles’ is a red offense. Glad they color coded it for me

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

tk posted:

“Hey, if you’re younger than 40, how old are you?”

It’s more like when you’re buying beer - if you look over 40, don’t need to ask for the license

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually you do because there are a number of non age related reasons to not sell alchohol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Hey man I didn’t write the rules for the cashiers at the gas station

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

text me

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ok but only if ur a white man under 40

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

actually you do because there are a number of non age related reasons to not sell alchohol

"no you cannot see my license" as i pound a forty in one hand and this shortest path question with the other

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

CarForumPoster posted:

ok but only if ur a white man under 40

urine luck

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

I didn’t even submit a resume to my new job, they just pulled my LinkedIn. feels good

they pulled you and it felt good??

:chanpop:

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
boss at my last company when we were interviewing people had some gems:

- "he's single? Hmm, I don't know."
- "If he's willing to relocate here to take the job, he's probably not the kind of person willing to stay here long term"
- "You're not allowed to ask how old they are, but I used a couple questions to figure it out"

Also another manager got slapped by HR for posting on LinkedIn that he "prefers to hire female candidates" for the job he posted

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
everyone assumes that people hiring absolutely think those kinds of things but keep them to themselves

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

"no you cannot see my license" as i pound a forty in one hand and this shortest path question with the other

I mean it's fun to post about but this is an aspect of acab that I have personal experience with and strong feelings about

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

I mean it's fun to post about but this is an aspect of acab that I have personal experience with and strong feelings about

sorry friend not trying to upset anyone or bring up bad memories, alcohol can be really lovely for a lot of reasons, going manic here with a toddler that wont sleep. buddy just quit his job cause his boss is an alcoholic who comes to work drunk every day, it can be awful.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

urine luck

txt me

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Hey everyone, I recently got an offer from a Series A funded startup and was hoping I could get some advice since this is a first for me. The offer includes X amount of options for shares that vest over a 4 year period.

I figure I should ask what the total share count and/or the strike price is as of the most recent calc so I can understand how much each share represents, but it seems like the value of these shares are largely irrelevant until the company has some sort of acquisition or IPO right? Since there's no way for me to actually sell the shares in the private market. And even then, the price per share has to climb above the strike price for me to actually gain.

Is it possible for an acquisition to occur that does not pay out on the vested options or shares? Realistically I don't see this company going public as opposed to being acquired.

Also, are there any "gotchas" I should be looking for in regards to the options? Thanks.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 18, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
routine for liquidation preferences and that kinda poo poo to gently caress employee equity yes. but those gotchas are not listed on your contract and you're gonna have to wheedle any details (or future details because preferences can hit like, series D or whatever) from founders

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

koolkal posted:

Hey everyone, I recently got an offer from a Series A funded startup and was hoping I could get some advice since this is a first for me. The offer includes X amount of options for shares that vest over a 4 year period.

I figure I should ask what the total share count and/or the strike price is as of the most recent calc so I can understand how much each share represents, but it seems like the value of these shares are largely irrelevant until the company has some sort of acquisition or IPO right? Since there's no way for me to actually sell the shares in the private market. And even then, the price per share has to climb above the strike price for me to actually gain.

Is it possible for an acquisition to occur that does not pay out on the vested options or shares? Realistically I don't see this company going public as opposed to being acquired.

Also, are there any "gotchas" I should be looking for in regards to the options? Thanks.

Your equity will be diluted 10+x before an exit event.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you cannot value them at 0, but you can't value them from the lurid points of view they give you. dilution 10x happens routinely and ive also seen that dilution also either not happen or not be material because the pie is large enough. etc etc etc.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cannot value them at 0

gonna have to disagree with you on this one bob

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

you cannot value them at 0, but you can't value them from the lurid points of view they give you. dilution 10x happens routinely and ive also seen that dilution also either not happen or not be material because the pie is large enough. etc etc etc.

Pretty sure 0 is the median value.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

hey, here's something i wish i had known in the past: a big to-do is made about exercising ISOs not being a taxable event, but there's a big, fat caveat to this. you have to figure AMT for your regular income PLUS the "value" of your exercised options (this depends on the company's FMV, which they get to decide) and if it's larger than your normal tax liability, you pay it instead. AMT uses a lower tax rate but removes certain exemptions, such as ISOs

if you exercise a lot of options or they have a high FMV, this can really gently caress you on taxes, all over money you will likely never see

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

koolkal posted:

I figure I should ask what the total share count and/or the strike price is as of the most recent calcso I can understand how much each share represents
yes

quote:

, but it seems like the value of these shares are largely irrelevant until the company has some sort of acquisition or IPO right?

yes

quote:

Since there's no way for me to actually sell the shares in the private market. And even then, the price per share has to climb above the strike price for me to actually gain.

yes but in series A the strike price is usually waaaay low

quote:

Is it possible for an acquisition to occur that does not pay out on the vested options or shares?

it is possible and common for the shares to be so diluted pre-aquisition that the payout is entirely inconsequential.

Achmed Jones posted:

gonna have to disagree with you on this one bob

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, ive never dealt with a strike price above fractions of a penny per for like 10k, 20k shares, so me being in the money is basically if the company exists or not. existing is a 90th percentile result, good luck. if the strike is like a dollar you and i dont live in the same world

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

koolkal posted:

yes you could have options that are worth less than the acquisition such that exercising them loses money Eg 409(a) > acquisition price, but that’s pretty unlikely for a series A startup. your prob vesting options and not shared because if you’re getting awarded shares you get taxed on them even though it’s Monopoly money. hence why you get options.

you might have to exercise your options in a certain amount of time when you leave or else you lose them

also if a startup can’t go public then it’s a lot less likely to get acquired for an amount that matters

you can value them at whatever you want including 0 imo

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Ok thanks everyone.

Sounds like i will value the options at 0 but with a small chance of an okay bonus if things go especially well.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
if you hang around long enough you’ll get more grants as they get more series funding if the company is nice to you, but the strike price will also go up.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

koolkal posted:

Ok thanks everyone.

Sounds like i will value the options at 0 but with a small chance of an okay bonus if things go especially well.

note that what you value them at is entirely up to you, so value them at whatever is most advantageous to you in the moment

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
you may value the options at 0, but make certain the IRS agrees with you before you commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

you may value the options at 0, but make certain the IRS agrees with you before you commit.

if you never exercise them, the irs dgaf

when you exercise them, you're agreeing they are no longer zero value