Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

are you loving kidding me?

what web property are you running that needs scalability greater than what a single database server can provide

keep in mind that all of stack overflow uses a single ms sql pair, serving requests live. because that's all they need. and when they outgrow it, they'll buy a bigger box

People that choose MongoDB are doing a great service for jobs, and job security for the field.
How can we get paid to look good and competent and put out fires if there are no fires to put out?
If everyone else was handsome and intelligent then I'd be a loving hobo down by the river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Handsome Wife posted:

This describes my limited experience working with offshore developers so precisely it's almost painful. I was managing a team of offshore devs and spent the majority of my time either writing extremely detailed specs that would be half-ignored or just fixing their lovely code because it was even more of a waste of time to send it back for changes. All to end up with bad code at slower than the pace I could have just written it myself.

"But I could hire 10 offshore devs for the price of 1 of you!" - actual bosses in 2019

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

stuffed crust punk posted:

anyone have any experience joining a company just as it gets acquired? im talking like im expecting an offer any (business hours) minute now and news broke about the company getting acquired yesterday

Yeah.
There was an immediate hiring freeze and when it finally got lifted 3 months later the new corporate policy was no overseas remote so the position vanished right under me! My friend the hiring manager and his boss were quite upset.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i feel like the engineers that do toy "aha! you missed the O(more efficient than the obvious solution)! declined!" efficiency problems for interviews are likely the same engineers that put out web apps with several MB of static CSS and fonts, all of which have "Cache-Control: max-age=0, no-cache, no-store" set

FULL STACK ENGINEER

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

recruiter tells you about opportunities X, Y, Z; sets up an interview for X; meanwhile you see a job advert for Z

is it unethical to apply to Z directly

Just make sure they havent already submitted you for Z already. Some places will throw both applications out if they get a duplicate from multiple sources.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jesus WEP posted:

tf is this “oh we hate job titles everyone is just ‘developer’” bullshit that companies do. where did it come from

Not wanting to have structure pay grades?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

The time I did this for a non-Python shop I solved the problem in like fifteen minutes, ten of it asking questions to clarify the problem, and the interviewer just grumpily said "Well you got a working solution but I don't know Python".

Still better than the time a C# place encouraged me to apply even after I told them I had never used and didn't know C#, because they "look for talent and attitude, not specific language skills". They bounced me and when I asked for feedback they said the solution and code structure was good but it would have been simpler to use some Linq feature I'd never heard of so it wasn't good enough.

Ah, interviewing.

Lmao I fukken hate nerds and I hate tech now
Depending on touching computers for my livelihood makes me want to be dead

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PokeJoe posted:

Post on your drat phones people

And don't use the company wifi to do it.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Devonaut posted:

HR called me back today after a second round interview last week. Asked me what I thought now that I've had a chance to talk to some people on the team, so I said a bit about how I'm excited about the opportunity, seems like a good fit, that kind of thing.

Oh, she says, well unfortunately we've decided to go with other candidates.

Like..why ask that question if you're just calling to reject me? Why call at all? loving morons.

Lol

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Blinkz0rz posted:

who tf uses dart

Uhh certainly not me.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Fizzbuzz still works.

Just bodied someone in an interview today with a fizzbuzz question.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

really? new grad or what?

They have about 6 years experience and a fresh masters.

After 30 minutes of grinding I got some weird division assignments and console logs of my instructions

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 19, 2021

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Ok so how "gently caress you" is my options.

A year from now it will start at 1/48th a month.

So 5 years. Already been here a full year btw.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have read enough of these threads to know to not value startup equity as anything. Got a raise once we hit funding since I demanded that instead of their intitial thought of "I thought you were ok with just more equity".

Just wondering how common or rude a 1/48th a month vesting schedule is for a key and only engineer in the first year of this startups life.

Because it certainly doesn't feel good.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Achmed Jones posted:

i mean it's kinda slow IME, but once again, 1/48 of what. you can't really sensibly ask the question without specifying that

1/48th of not a large amount.

So yeah speed was my main question.

It definitely feels like a gently caress you especially since all of their other actions feel like gently caress yous at this point.

Paid lunches: gone
Moving to new office 1.5hrs away: mandatory
No more wfh: mandatory

A new distinct feeling of a lack of trust in me and my fellow workers.

This is all AFTER we secured our latest round of funding too.

And yes I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow. I am in the process of severing.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My current job has all the code on Github under private repos.

Figured we would at least give everyone the benefit of showing activity on Github on their personal accounts.

Funny though, when I first joined they made me use the company email to contribute to the repo. And they wanted the same thing for a new hrie starting this week. I forced the issue to allow personal emails again but it is an odd thing to try to force a company email onto Github.

Management here are absolute ghouls though so it isn't surprising.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I have been considering land survey.

Got some of the intro course book pdfs and everything.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I will say taking a haircut by leaving the USA is not a direct comparison.

For example, I took a 50% cut by numbers going to South Korea from USA. But my takehome pay at the end of all the taxes, rent, car, health etc was the same.

The USA must pay those absurd amounts because you are absolutely covered in blood sucking leeches.

Currently posting from New Zealand too right now so do run a visit before you decide anything because jesus christ the roads here are some mario kart poo poo with all the curves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also the haircuts just wtf