Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm guessing walmart.com doesn't bother hiring actual recruiters because I've now received over a dozen emails from the worst mail merge scripts possible for the same job there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it might be different for designers than devs but I’m noticing startups seem more willing to splash out cash salary than bigger businesses, like the 3 startups I talked to were 15-20% above what I am hearing from other places. used to be you got less cash because stock

the recent California law that forces recruiters to reveal salary ranges totally owns btw

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh god some recruiters are still doing the "teehee the rate depends on experience" thing which is literally illegal now. plus since I get spammed with like 5 hits for the same contract gigs I already know what the client is paying [the highest rate you get quoted +35%] so I don't need this bullshit

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d always heard that when you give references you’re only supposed answer vague stuff like “would you hire this person again?”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

do you guys not know about w2 contracting? probably half the people in the whole tech industry are permatemps

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the companies I deal with aren’t even allowed to hire someone contract outside of an approved vendor to avoid nepotism and equal opportunity issues, plus the vendors have to have liability insurance

even consultants have to do giant rfps that get reviewed with a microscope

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

Remote interview with an engineering manager and product manager for a product designer position in NYC today.

I'm also flying up for an in-person round in a few weeks. I'm hoping that means I'll get the good good and move out of my hometown forever.

Need the luck and positive vibes.
good luck on those, for both the pm and engineering manager maybe emphasize that you like finding shippable solutions over maniacally pursuing design perfection, good relationships with those 2 people will largely determine your success there

I have my first in-person tomorrow but I thought it was next monday until this morning so now I'm scrambling on getting my portfolio presentation-ready

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol 4 hours before my interview the recruiter cheerfully emails "hey, could you email over your portfolio files in advance? you could also just send them a link" :tizzy:

[I told him I couldn't do that in like the first email I sent him 3 weeks ago, plus my super pro elite OPSEC is a value add for what I do]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I interviewed for a design strategist role at Chase a few years ago, I didn’t take it because the salary offer was kind of sad and there would have been a lot of travel but it’s a big group and they’re definitely investing in UX.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh man I forgot how physically draining interviewing is but I think today’s went well and it will be insane if my first onsite leads to an offer

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got a note that the place I interviewed yesterday wants to extend an offer :unsmith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I asked for more than the range the recruiter gave me but only like 10% more so hopefully it won’t be an issue, the company seems pretty chill in a grown up way and I wouldn’t want that to gently caress it up

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iospace posted:

I get that, but it gets frustrating when I have 10 of them likely calling for the same job in the same day (which isn't any fault of their own, to be fair), and had one in the past tell me to lie on my resume by shuffling where the experience was.

I had this, there were 3 jobs in particular [all w2 contract] that I probably got at least 10 calls each for. what's weird about that is these agencies generally get the same money from the company if someone gets hired but I was hearing a range from $65-90 on one job. given the one company could afford 90 that means their bill rate was probably 120-135, so if someone took it for 65 the contract company could be making more money than the employee

I'm going to be glad to be done with contracting. I missed pto and even though you tell yourself you can afford to take breaks you generally don't. that said the benefits were good [better than my full time co-workers] and the company wasn't too lovely about "no contractors" stuff, mostly executive rah rah sessions I didn't care about. plus they didn't make me fly to minneapolis in winter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if they offer was 90, their bill rate was probably 180-200

nah the long term markup is usually 30-40%, nobody would pay 180 an hour for a long term contract designer. that’s honestly 1099 rate for what I do

at my last job the recruiter accidentally copied me on the final contract and they were making 30%

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

offer extended for the amount of money I asked for in the first place, I have an interview tomorrow at another place but it’ll have to be pretty magical for me to not take that first one

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

url posted:

While I'm here: check out these awesome resume templates.

I'm literally a professional designer and my resume is 100% text [but I can see this power level 9000 crap catching on]

also marital status and citizenship are things companies are banned by law from asking you :psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

any time they push too hard for a number too early in the process, that's a red flag that their budget is totally hosed, and they have turned away multiple candidates for numbers reasons

that recruiter being a dick just saved you a bunch of time and effort, so, in a way, he was doing good work
I found throwing out a number early was a good way for to weed out all the chump jobs, especially contract ones but again california has this forced semi-transparency thing going on. also this stuff can always happen:

TheFluff posted:

a recruiter email came in, claiming they're looking for "a remote full-stack engineer position - USD $50,000 - 175,000/year". what kind of loving useless range is that? $50k would be a laughable lowball for what they're asking for even here.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

url posted:

infographic emoji filled resumes ... resumemes

• heckin chonky at responsive javascript frameworks like angular and react 😹😹
  • collaboration skills with distributed, cross-functional teams on fleek 💯💯💯💅

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

• 👏 completed 👏 agile 👏 scrum 👏 training 👏

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

iospace posted:

I feel if you put "agile" ANYWHERE on your resume these days you'll instantly get past the computer screen.
I definitely upped the buzzword compliance this time around and I think it worked

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

I think this job wants to hire me? or at leas the designers want me. I’d be the first traditionally trained designer on their team.

yep got the jerb. asked for more $$ over my initial offer. leaving KY in may

grats goon

I’m getting my actual offer letter for new job tomorrow morning

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

since financial software is in many ways deeply boring, much like my posting, people during the interview for newjob did kind of ask me if I had the temperament for it

come to think of it I got asked that in my interview for my old job too

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

This was the in-person, I doubt he was following a script, or if he was he came up with it himself

that sounds like some thing from a business magazine where you challenge candidates to see if they lick your balls to a sufficient degree

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

new company sent my job offer to the wrong email address :psyduck:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just hope whoever it is doesn't steal my job!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

got my offer signed today, should be working by mid-may :unsmith:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

Ok so I think I'm meeting with the final boss of LA company tomorrow morning (he's in the EU.) Assuming this goes well, if it's more than a formality, I will finally have to discuss the number they offered me. How exactly do I word a counter?

"I think this is an excellent offer, but it does not align with my current expectations for this position and responsibilities which is x+y%"

Is something like that ok?

I know I've mentioned this 1000 times before but if they're in california they have to provide you with a salary range if you ask

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the flip side of the time bomb offer is companies who blow a bunch of smoke about how great you are then send a “the person we really wanted accepted an offer we had out to them” email the day before the on-site

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

from what I've heard netflix is known for paying well but they're also a total nutcase pressure cooker and their average tenure is under a year across the whole company

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

microsoft should be on the list yeah but agreed on lolling at including ibm or oracle. neither have them have been a desirable place to work nor have they been doing anything but coasting on inertia for the past decade at least. oracle has nothing of note and ibm had that colossal wet fart that was watson

oracle has been doing significant layoffs if that's "of note"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

first day at newjob :toot:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at least google seems to have improved from "ghost candidate for six months then send them a job offer" which they were doing 10 years ago

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

Another question: how do you phrase items where you did most of the development work on a project (say 70-90%), but it also had contributions from people on other teams. e.g. you designed and wrote an automated process, another dev on your team did some alerting around it, and someone in the finance department worked out how to fix their workflow so that it was automatable. At the moment I'm putting "lead developer on automation project to xxx" (no caps). I don't want them to think that was a formal title or that it was just a dev project, but do want to communicate that I took responsibility for the development part of the project and delivered on it.

you could change it to a sentence and say "led development of xxx automation project," I've heard this is a preferred way to do it but that's probably mostly about avoiding passive voice [you should avoid passive voice on your resume]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't really see the beef, people need some resume inflation to show "career velocity" plus if you're hiring someone with 15 years of experience vs 3 years the title has implications, in that they had lots of experience coming in

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Schadenboner posted:

Juniors are hired, seniors are grown. If you need to hire someone because you can't nurture your goddamn juniors then you suck as a manager, IMO?

:shrug:

so someone with say ten years of industry experience should be hired as a junior because they're junior at your company? good luck with that

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

funny that you think this is an event that lies in the future

yeah it was when all the ex compaq and dell folks went back to texas from the bay in 2002

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

major sports org recruiter "are you a fan of sport?"

me: "no"

msor: silence

why does it matter if i care about the sport? i care about getting paid and delivering good product

This is one of the things I like about finance, everyone knows it's boring so the questions are more like "can you stand to work on stuff this lame?"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

nice article about how interviewing and recruiting became such garbage: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/06/looking-for-a-job-americas-listings-are-inscrutable/591616/

focus is on how useless all those inane "we are looking for rockstar jedi ninjas who are PASSIONATE about marketing analytics" job listings are

lol

quote:

In a survey ZipRecruiter conducted last year, he says, most employers said they were focusing all their recruiting efforts on job listings themselves. “Instead of doing things like lowering the skills required or improving the pay, it was all about how much they were spending on more job boards or more recruiting solutions,” Siegel says. “There was a real resistance to responding to the market that was telling you that if you want to get good talent, you have to improve your offer.”
"we've spent like 200 grand on on cutesy crypto puzzle billboards on 101 and haven't hired anybody. better put one on 280 also"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

feedmegin posted:

Is it a consultancy? I've worked for a couple of those and hated it both times. Consulting is Not For Me, apparently.
consulting firms love overtime because the $200/hour they're making on you becomes 300

Hughlander posted:

It's been hmm 19 years at this point but I still remember a Director calling an all staff meeting and announcing, "Saturday is no longer an optional workday."

We were on a hard contractual deadline and made it, it wasn't fun, but the stock did buy my first house in SV. Would I do it now or quit? I don't know. If it was a steady state thing, yes for sure. But...
1) I'd expect it to be better communicated than that. I'm 19 years later and still using that as a demonstration of how not to do it.
2) It'd need to have that clear exit criteria and that reward for doing it.
I crunched for 31 straight days during the first dot-com boom and ended up with exactly zero extra dollars so it goes both ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

yeah it's definitely a yellow flag when comp talk comes before its time to make an offer, unless its just apprising you of the range for the role

if some company's primary concern is saving 10k even 50k on a hire, just lol

I brought it up early constantly in my last job search but that's mostly because "senior designer" is a job title with a like 200k wide salary band

even lead/principal jobs I was being sent had some crazy low ranges