Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
red hat, microsoft, sas, ibm, epic games, insomniac games, and 2 state colleges and duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's been years since i've looked into it, but i think a quarter or maybe a third of ibm's campus here is being rented by toshiba lol

or the even bigger lol: lenovo's office is right down the road

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Shaggar posted:

I haven't been there in years but I cant imagine its anywhere close to other tech hubs, especially ones on the coasts.

both downtown raleigh and durham have downtown condos/apartments/whatever that starts at 2k+ a month now

the real estate bubble here is unreal

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
can I get a gut check on my pending role switch and how turboboned im potentially going to be in a few years’ time?

im switching from mainframe development (cobol) to data engineering (read: oracle dev). the new role isn’t going to be sql dev 100% of the time and I should be able to do aws stuff if i push for it.

my concern is going from incredibly specific toolset to another incredibly specific toolset and my resume is going to wind up looking like I only deal with dead or dying vendor locked environments.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
forgot to post the other week, thanks for the advice

time 2 learn tableau.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that rules

hire you on as a mid-level and then promote to senior immediately afterwards so you’re on the receiving end of like a 25% total comp haircut lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

carry on then posted:

lmao. kinda difficult with no valid experience. would you accept my resume for an interview? gonna guess the answer is no.

i've worked in cobol and pl/sql for the last 10 years, it's actually gotten to the point where i'm revisiting stuff i wrote 7 years ago but in a different context

i don't actively have a resume, not from lack of trying though

i'm not going to apply to vuejs/react developer jobs, but i'm also not freaking out about a decade spanning hole in my resume that would fall under the umbrella of "no valid experience"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Blinkz0rz posted:

it's this

they're also bad at ready logs

and pretty much any other kind of output

coworker: hey this thing crashed, i don't know what could have caused it and i looked at the logs but i didn't see anything

The Logs posted:

ORA-01858: a non-numeric character found where a digit was expected

me: :thunk:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i feel like a toy problem along the lines of “merge this branch into this shared feature branch” would be more useful than a create a linked list/do a math/regex skill check

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

rotor posted:

1) the person who both spelled and pronounced it as 'interger'

frequently a 9 or 11 keystroke word for me :negative:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nudgenudgetilt posted:

what the gently caress is a "phone screen" in 2023

it me

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
you're gonna leave a $75 amazon gift card on the table?

[note: it's actually "an opportunity" for "up to $75" worth of gift cards; it's just a $50 gift card]

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
bro

quote:

Even if your experience does not line up perfectly, we are still excited to have you apply. The best hires do not always check off every box of a job description.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i mean, shoot

i don't even have a resume and my experience is cobol, pl/sql, and losing my mind; i'm thinking about applying lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

goblin week posted:

hey guys i dont really know where to ask this. i dont know many computer touchers. i worked in video games QA (technical) most of my computer-touching career, but in next 12 months, I will be moving stateside permanently due to marrying an americana

what the gently caress can i do in those 12 months to make myself desirable in any sector? i don’t really NEED to work in video games and frankly I’ve heard so many horror stories about american game companies that I’d rather not. how do i make a switch to a Serious Computer Job? what are some skills i need to have?

it has hit me that i don’t really…..know how to do anything that isn’t proprietary engine stuff or basic python bullshit. i didn’t manage to write a thesis so i never graduated and now i’m gonna have to find an actual non-bullshit job to support a loved one instead of just me and i don’t really know what to do

im sorry i know this is all out of nowhere and im not really a prolific poster

do advent of code, read some books, and some misc projects

if you need help with what would be good project…
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1678604697735929856

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i had a scrum master (problematic imo) who would write the title of a story and then immediately ask how many points it was because it was the next field in the jira form

whatever training they had made them laser focus on the nonsense stats (burn down, velocity, etc) and they’d bring it up all the time; i threatened to ruin their stats by setting 99999999999 points to a story if they didn’t shut up about THE TEAMS AVERAGE VELOCITY or whatever

same person would also lean into turning sprint retros into struggle sessions by asking who wrote the mildly negative feedback and whatnot

e: rotor’s being obnoxious but they’re not wrong ime

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
story points should be stored in a SAFe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
utils.js