Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
2-armor | XP 0/5 | sharp, weird

Roach breathed a plume of frost into the air as HR spoke off to the side, and giggled quietly at the sight. All her life, snow had been something from Before. A fading memory held only by the old and dying uselessly passed on to children who had never known anything but an eternal autumn.

So of course when something actually changed everybody complained about it.

"Duly noted. Remind everyone that Lady Hoarfrost goes where she will, and probably she'll get bored here soon enough." Turning to HR, Roach caressed his cheek and gave him a soft smile. "Winter will pass soon enough." Dropping her hand, her eyes snapped into the distance. "Good Frank, though. Might be it's nothing but I think I'll look into it. Give the boys and girls a chance to stretch their legs. Tell Tumble Dry to take the bike and head over to the farm, let Good Frank know I'll be coming by to see what's what."

Stepping past HR, Roach approached Hoarfrost and her people and waited patiently for the woman to notice and wave her forward. The Warren might be Roach's hold, and her word might be law, but the idea of irritating the holy woman always put a knot in Roach's stomach.

quote:

Name: Roach
Look: woman, showy armor, gorgeous face, commanding eyes, sensual body

Stats:
Cool+1
Hard+2
Hot+1
Sharp+1
Weird-2

Moves:
Leadership
Wealth

Gear:
shotgun (3-harm close messy)
machete (3-harm hand messy)
body armor (2-armor)

The Warren
By default, your holding has:
75-150 souls.
for gigs, a mix of hunting, crude farming, and scavenging (surplus: 1-barter, want: hungry).
a makeshift compound of concrete, sheet metal and rebar. Your gang gets +1 armor when fighting in its defense.
an armory of scavenged and makeshift weapons.
a garage of 4 utility vehicles and 4 specialized battle vehicles (detail with the MC).
a gang of about 40 violent bastards (2-harm gang medium unruly 1-armor)

Choose 4:
for gigs, add lucrative raiding. Surplus: +1barter, want: +reprisals
for gigs, add protection tribute. Surplus: +1barter, want: +obligation
your gang is large instead of medium, 60 violent bastards or so
your compound is tall, deep and mighty, of stone and iron. Your gang gets +2armor when fighting in its defense

And choose 2:
your gang is a pack of loving hyenas. Want: +savagery.
your population is decadent and perverse. Surplus: -1barter, want: +savagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Not many people not already one of Hoarfrost's own were all that interested in what she had to say. That Girl Friday was one of those few was nice to see. Roach was not in the habit of telling people what to believe, but she did favor those who followed in her footsteps. As subtly as she could. Her band of ne'er-do-wells were trouble enough without them taking swings at each other over jealousies. Not that she particularly minded when she was the thing they were fighting over but it usually bubbled out at the worst times.

Roach suppressed a shiver. The snow was nice, but it was hard pretending the cold didn't get to her sometimes. "Might be. Good Frank's got some worries eating at him and I think it would be a friendly gesture to go out and put his fears to rest. It could be him being old and his eggs have gone runny. But if there is something to hurt, rest assured we are going to hurt it. That's why I want to speak with Hoarfrost. I know her people are getting the jitters as much as you are, so maybe we could make a Thing of this."

Roach watched as the lady spun around happily. It was rare to see anybody that carefree, and it was kind of a shame her own position prevented her from joining in. Being the one in charge had lots of perks, but the luxury of being undignified was not one of them.

"Pay attention. You'll be riding shotgun with me. I expect to see your best, even if it turns out to be nothing."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

"You didn't take long to disappoint me. That wasn't a request. It was an order. But since you're so keen to help out The End, by all means. I'll take Left Nut. She can at least follow orders, whatever other problems she has."

Roach swept her hair back dismissively and stepped past the girl and addressed her guest.

"Lady Hoarfrost. I've reports of trouble at one of the local farms. It may not end up being anything, but if some of your people would like to blow off some steam they are welcome to join me. Send them to the garage if there's any volunteers. In the meantime, Girl Friday here has volunteered to be an aide if you have need of anything. Put her to work as you see fit. I don't expect to be gone more than a few hours."

She wanted to inquire about this plan of hers, but it was bad form to invite yourself along like that.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Girl Friday's relief would likely last right up until she realized she wasn't in the Glee Club anymore. And if Hoarfrost didn't want her? Well. A lesson to her to think next time before back-talking her boss. Maybe Roach would take her back if she begged just right but it was pretty loving doubtful.

Returning to the Warren's central building, she caught Bleak supervising some of her boys and girls as they cleaned their guns. Bleak had drummed it into her head to be a hardass on that point - her gang would nelglect it otherwise and wonder why the things jammed when the heat came down.

"Hey old man. We're going for a drive. Get me about ten pairs of tits and balls and warm up the cargo truck. I don't think we'll be gone more than a few hours but I want you to stay here and keep on eye on things. The End are getting antsy and I don't want it boiling over while they're in residence. Let Queen Moh know what's up whenever she gets out of bed." The love of her life had a lot to recommend her, but her schedule was always a point of mild contention. While Roach herself was very much an early riser and all about getting poo poo done, Moh was a night owl and if she had to be up before noon than everybody else was going to have a real bad day.

A grunt from Bleak was all she got in response, which was surprisingly verbose of him. Moving on, she mosied over to Block D where the Glee Club made its home. Some snores and rustling from the night shift echoed through the block accompanied by a bit of quiet chatting from a card game going on near the entrance. Right Nut was waving a knife at Roop, who was rolling up her sleeves with a look of fear in her eyes. Nothing new with that. Right Nut was a good guy but he took his gambling extremely seriously. More than one person in the Warren was missing a finger or two for daring to cheat him in a game. And the other not-new thing was Left Nut peering around the corner watching it all.

"Hey. Girl Friday volunteered you for a job, so get your poo poo and head to the garage. Don't gently caress up this time."

Once everyone is assembled, we'll be heading over to Good Frank's farm. Taking the deuce and a half and one of the war buggies.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
2-armor | XP 1/5 | sharp, weird

Roach watched as Left Nut sulked off and got her things. After a moment she ducked her head into D Block and narrowed her eyes. "Right Nut. That's enough. I need hands that can pull triggers. Roop, you should have known better. Next time I'm not stopping him."

---

Roach swaggered up to Good Frank, her gang making a passable facsimile of an ordered group behind her. She looked around impassively, a hand on her hip. "Sure thing. How's Shy doing? You're expecting any day now, right?" Shy was Frank's second wife. Formerly of the Glee Club, he'd taken a real shine to her a year back and Roach had set them up as a favor to the man. Before he could even respond, Roach continued in a calm conversational tone. "So. HR says you've got people or things or people-shaped things poking around here." A glance at Tumble Dry and the relieved look on his face. "...Are they watching us right now?"

quote:

SidekickBOT - Today at 2:47 PM
@Roach: 2d6+1 Read a Sitch = (6+1)+1 = 8

What should I be on the lookout for?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach narrowed her eyes, listening to the wind blow lonely through the fields. The hairs on her neck were standing up and she didn't much like it. It always meant something bad. Bad in ways normal bastards with guns and lovely attitudes never did. She really wished Hoarfrost were here for this, or even Harvest. They had their ways of seeing in ways Roach simply couldn't, and as unsettling as it was that sort of talent had its uses.

"Balls, Helix, Tumble Dry. Hang here and keep an eye on things." She cocked her head towards the buggy. "Someone sit on the gun but keep it cool. We're the nastiest pack of lunatics around - we don't get the creeps, we give people the creeps." She smacked Tumble Dry jovially on the shoulder and fist bumped the drivers before turning and addressing the rest of her crew. She unslung her shotgun and rested it on a shoulder, eyeing the group.

"Alright. Let's do a sweep and see what we can flush out. Grab yourself a battle buddy and don't wander off. Left Nut, you're watching my rear end on this."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach watched the revenant screaming out from the woods and could only stare in rapt horror. After the longest second in her life her brain finally kicked back into gear and she screamed out orders. Only the fact that she had caught the scent of trouble on the wind allowed her to keep her bearings, and that might be the only thing that kept this situation from spiraling wholly out of control.

"Shoulder those weapons!" She glanced to the side at Left Nut. "Don't even loving think about it. You stand fast, girl!" Roach brought her own weapon to bear as the nightmare hurtled towards them at inhuman speeds. Just a moment more and it would be in range...

"Open fire you scabrous cocks!"

@Roach: 2d6+2 Leadership = (1+3)+2 = 6
I will definitely be hearing about this later.

@Roach: 2d6+2 Seize By Force = (5+2)+2+1 from Read a Sitch = 10
Trying to keep the revenant from getting any further then my gang. The Glee Club will inflict terrible harm, suffer little harm in return, and take definite and undeniable control of it. This is currently a small gang, so baseline is 2-harm, 1-armor.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 25, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
Harm 3:00 | 2-armor | XP 1/5 | sharp, weird

Roach went sprawling into the dirt from the force of the blow, and the grinding sensation in her chest very much suggested it was going to bring with it more than just some superficial bruising. gently caress. If she had even the slightest inkling that a revenant was lurking around, she would have let Good Frank and his family die and be forgotten. God damned hindsight.

She managed to shake off the stunning blow and get a leg underneath her just in time to see Left Nut's throat be torn wide open and her big brother utterly lose his poo poo. The buggy's MG spat steel jacketed death, drowned out by the horrible sound of the man's own hate-fueled scream of rage. Roach's own fury rose up at the sound and her hands found their familiar place on the shotgun. Things were still a little wobbly, but the sight of the nightmare made flesh was clear enough. With a hellish scream of her own, Roach charged the beast and clocked it upside the head with the butt of the gun before bringing the weapon to bear and unloading with everything it had.

@Roach: 2d6+2 sieze by force = (5+2)+2 = 9
3-harm close messy. Roach deals terrible damage and takes definite and undeniable control of her position.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
Harm 9:00 | 2-armor | XP 1/5 | sharp, weird

Roach dazedly looked at Right Nut, his words taking a second to fully take hold in her head. As they did her eyes narrowed and her lips curled back. It was an effort of will not to leap at him and finish the job the revenant had not. Her teeth were no less sharp. She jerked her head to break the man's stare and gazed at the carnage. There was absolutely nothing left of her gang. None of her boys and girls were going to be getting back up after that maelstrom. Except, maybe...

Storming over to Left Nut's body, Roach knelt down and clamped a hand over the ragged rent in her throat in an effort to make a seal. She lowered her head to the girl's mouth and listened for signs of breathing. She didn't have much expectation, but she was the only one that hadn't been wholly eviscerated or torn limb from limb.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach sat back on her haunches and looked up at Right Nut. She slowly got to her feet, eyes burning with anger. He had a right to be pissed off and heartbroken. He had that right. But he did not have a right to go slinging accusations around, as if Roach had any inkling of what was lurking out here. As if she could think of no better way to spend her time than getting a sizable chunk of her gang murdered for no reason whatsoever.

@Roach: 2d6+1 read a person = (3+6)+1 = 10
3-hold on Right Nut

"gently caress you. If I had known what was here, I never would have bothered. You think I'm happy about this? I might be a hard case but you are all mine, and I do my best to protect what is mine. If I didn't have a responsibility to you I'd be chasing that demon down for what it did, on foot if necessary." She stepped forward, getting right into Right Nut's personal space and staring him in the eyes. "So say what you need to say. Do what you need to do. Demand of me what you need to demand of me. But don't you ever insult me like that again." She waited for his response, nerves keyed up and senses honed against his slightest movement. If he went for a weapon, she would be ready to drop him. As the moments ticked by she searched his eyes and face for anything that might betray his thoughts. Any idea of what she could do to avoid being the only one going home today.

Spending 1-hold immediately to know what Right Nut intends to do.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jan 29, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach furrowed her brow. "What did I expect...?" She blew her breath out in a tired sigh, the ache of her bruised ribs creeping up on her. She didn't let that show, beyond rubbing a bicep absently. She held Right Nuts gaze all the while, not risking him thinking her weak.

"All I had to go on was a pretty vague 'weird things or people, but it's probably nothing'. So I expected something in line with that level of disinterest. Thugs. Vagabonds sizing the place up, or some outriders from another hold looking to cause trouble. Nothing this serious. But even your typical cleanup job can turn ugly so I wanted a heavy gun just in case. If I knew what was really waiting for us I would have brought the entire gang and every vehicle we had." She practically interrupted herself at that. "No. I wouldn't have even come here. But if I had no other choice, I would have brought the entire gang and all the guns we had. I don't give remotely enough of a drat about Good Frank to throw your lives away for him."

It was the truth. Mostly. She certainly wouldn't throw the Glee Club away on Frank's behalf, but she had her reputation working against her. There absolutely were things she would sacrifice all of them to achieve and she guessed Right Nut might have an inkling of that knowledge.

"I don't want to have it out with you but I can't bring your sister or Roop or any of the rest back to life. So how do you want this to go? What do you need from me to try and make this...well, not right. As right as it can be."

1-hold to learn what Right Nut wishes I would do.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

It seemed like things weren't going to devolve into bloodshed - yet. Small miracles. Roach crouched down next to Right Nut, staring off in the direction the revenant fled. What a loving day.

"No, we're not letting it get away with anything. It's going to die and you have my word you'll be along when it happens. Just not now. For now, we head home and lick our wounds. Come up with a plan. There's a lot of empty space out here and basically no chance in hell of finding it. I've got a plan, though. I just hope Hoarfrost hasn't gone off on a crusade just yet." Hoarfrost...and maybe call in Barracuda if she could get hold of the woman. A hunt like this would not come cheap but so what? This was vendetta.

She stood up and walked over to where her shotgun had been thrown after that hellbeast ran her over. She picked it up, gave it a once over, and slung it over her shoulder. She did her best to ignore the grinding sensation in her chest as she did so. Yeah, that was a couple busted ribs alright. Well, whatever. She'd been through worse. And this was certainly not the time or place to complain about it regardless.

"Let's head back and regroup with the others. Need the truck anyway to bring our soldiers home." Life in the Glee Club was typically short and violent, this was true. But you could at least rest assured that when it did come to an end you got a proper burial. Even Left Nut. It was a lovely way to die and as much as the girl had pissed her off, Roach hadn't hated her.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 5, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
Harm 9:00 | 2-armor | XP 2/5 | sharp, weird

As Roach slid behind the wheel of the buggy, she sat back in the seat, staring off into the distance. On the face of things this was just poor luck. A band of idiots led by an idiot wandering out and encountering Violence Embodied and the inevitable happened. Yet something seemed off. Why had it merely waited and watched until now? She knew too little about revenants to truly understand how they thought, but this seemed almost calculated.

Their were forces in this world beyond the ken of a grounded individual like her. She trusted only in things she could touch and smell and affect. But just because she didn't trust the kind of forces people like Harvest dabbled in didn't mean they were not real or could not be used. The trouble, of course, was that when you used those forces, those forces could also use you.

...but so what? In this world you acted and you reacted. Worrying too much just made things worse. And sometimes the right action was to throw aside caution and let the insanity in to say hello.

@Roach: 2d6-2 opening my brain like a fool = (4+5)-2 = 7
Her intention is to try and get some insight as to whether there is more to that revenant being here and attacking them than simply it seeing a group of juicy targets all grouped up.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 12, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Her eyes didn't snap open - they had been wide and blind to reality the entire time. They simply came back into focus as reality (Is it? Who's to say the nightmare isn't the truth, and you're simply too terrified to accept it.) and her breath hissed out slowly. It helped only a little. Her nerves were still keyed up to the point you could run a bow across the small of her back and play a passable song. Roach could still feel the acid tickle in her mind where the dragons had stared through her, their black thoughts mingling with her own. The way they lapped up the fear inside of her like you would the last daub of gravy on a plate. It was a delicious, delicate morsel they had to play with and Roach had no doubts they would savor it for as long as they could.

"...ya zdes." It took her a moment to comprehend the confusion on his face. Right. English.

"I'm here." She let her shoulders slump a little and turned her head to face him. "Just...lost in thought. That revenant is being controlled. Directed. Whether we were the targets or just conveniently around to test the extent of that control, I have no idea." No need to discuss how incredibly horrifying a prospect it was that somebody was able to do that. It just went without saying. "Our job now is to find out who's behind it and feed them into a wood chipper."

She brought her gaze back to the front of the buggy and hit the ignition, darkness descending over her face. "I need to talk to the Wood Witch. She'll have some insight into this." Cranking the wheel, she hit the gas and sped off to meet back up with the remnants of her crew.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 14, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

"Yeah. poo poo is pretty much exactly what it is. But we'll get ours back. Now lets load up. Tumble Dry, put your bike onto the truck. I want you in the buggy with me and Right Nut. Just in case. Helix, Balls. Eyes open and alert. If anything happens you haul rear end back home. For now, we get some answers."

She had been inclined to handle this solo. A witch was nobody to take lightly, and Roach truly had no idea what she was capable of. Other people were leverage that could be used against her. On the other hand...backup was rarely a bad idea. And while she had no great idea for how to explain why a good chunk of the Glee Club was dead, best it come from her rather than giving everyone a few hours to invent rumors and work themselves up over what some drivers who didn't even see poo poo go down decided had happened.

To the witch's house we go.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Tumble Dry kept a wary watch from the passenger seat as Right Nut kept his council on the gun. Roach could only laugh quietly as the crow greeted her. A bird that could speak her name? Well. If strangeness were to happen this was the day for it. She continued the measured drive deeper into the woods, talking to herself without even realizing it. An old poem she recalled from her childhood. Bleak had read to her and Moh when the boss was away, and though she'd never been able to find a copy of the book for herself, the words still stuck fast in her mind.

"Then this ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,
By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore,
“Though thy crest be shorn and shaven, thou,” I said, “art sure no craven,
Ghastly grim and ancient Raven wandering from the Nightly shore-
Tell me what thy lordly name is on the Night’s Plutonian shore!”"

She had to wonder what old Mr. Poe would make of the world these days. She rather suspected it wouldn't have fazed him much. His writing always bore an implication that he had dragons of his own to contend with.

Pulling in, Roach killed the ignition and watched as the door yawned wide. She raised a hand to caution her compatriots. "Easy. I think we're welcome, so let's mind our manners." Hefting her shotgun, Roach slipped out of the vehicle and handed the weapon over to Tumble Dry. "In case we get dis-invited, violently." She looked her and Right Nut in the eye for a moment, a reassurance of solidarity, and turned towards the house. Her hand reached back to the machete sheathed on the small of her back - reassurance that she wasn't wholly defenseless if things went sideways. Approaching the door, she allowed herself to be silhouetted in the light.

"Hello?"

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

This...was not what Roach was expecting. Nobody spoke of the Woods Witch except obliquely and in hushed tones. Consequently her imagination had assumed a great deal. In her mind she had envisioned an ancient woman, half mad and talking in riddles, surrounded by alchemical tools bubbling away with unspeakable concoctions. Perhaps some kind of mutant frog in a corner croaking ominous portents at visitors.

Seeing the reality, and the blunt manner in which this witch invited her in, left Roach entirely off her game.

"...Thank you. Do you need me to take my armor off?" Roach gently lowered herself onto the mattress, wincing a bit as her ribs shifted painfully. Her eyes met the witch's own and she did her best to maintain a calm, collected demeanor in these unfamiliar circumstances. She might have come here for help but she still had her pride.

Roach will take a leap of faith and trust that the witch is on the level, and do as she says. If she's on the up and up, healing would be most appreciated and she might just know something about that revenant. If she's not, the three of them should be able to handle matters.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach
Harm 6:00 | 2-armor | XP 3/5 | sharp, weird

Roach endured the witch's ministrations stoically. She hadn't been kidding about the pain, and the occasional hiss of discomfort slipped out despite Roach's efforts. To the woman's credit - she seemed to know her business at least as well as Evil Frank without the annoyance of running her mouth needlessly.

Roach consiered her words as the witch finished up. She was inclined to agree immediately. Send a girl off to become this woman's apprentice? An absurdly small price to pay for such assistance. And yet...her eyes flicked over to where Right Nut stood. Here was another big brother, admirably in control of himself considering his loss. But the Glee Club was not group joined by the most stable and restrained of people. Roach wanted killers and lunatics and those with at most a passing awareness of things like Impulse Control. Those sorts were terrifyingly loyal as long you were willing to sate their appetites. And Roach? Roach kept her hounds fed. But you never ever made the mistake of forgetting what you were dealing with. Right Nut was as apt to bite now as he ever would be, and agreeing to cart someone else's little sister off seemed just the trigger to turn this tenuous truce they had to violence.

"I'm willing to speak with Matilda and make a case. Her older brother though? He's an important fixture in my hold and I don't think he would like the idea at all. I've never seen him actually lose his cool but if something could make him do it, it would be this. That in mind, can we make a different sort of deal? I will lay out the offer and give Matilda and HR time to warm to it. The man is a pragmatist and I think that as long as I don't simply declare 'This is how things are gonna be and nobody else has a say in the matter' he will see the benefits in time. Meanwhile, I am willing to offer you other services as a gesture of good faith. Books, food, protection, whatever you want. We deserve our revenge against whoever it is behind this, and I'll pay what I have to pay to get it."

Roach forced herself to look into the witch's eyes, studying her for any clues as to her inner thoughts. She shivered briefly as a memory of Harvest flashed through her mind, recalling the things she had said and done at that witch's behest. Yes...they had similar eyes. Incredibly deep and incredibly terrifying.

@Roach: 2d6+1 read a person = (3+5)+1 = 9
How could I get Woods Witch to put the matter of Matilda on hold for a bit and agree to some other service in return for help?

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

"Deal." Roach took the woman's hand in a firm grip and shook. "I'll conscript somebody and send them over tomorrow. Just tell them what you want done." She cocked her head for a moment and gave a wry smile. It was probably foolish to tempt fate but urge to try and push the witch's buttons was too strong.

"Do you have a type? I've got plenty of handsome men or pretty ladies if you want more than repairs done."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach felt as if a great weight had settled on her shoulders. This was not simply an agreement. It was an Agreement, and she had a grim feeling that if she betrayed the witch, death would be the least terrible thing that could arise from it. So be it. Being the boss had a great many perks but it also had a great many responsibilities.

As the witch continued, Roach's face softened. She's not horny. She's lonely.

"I accept your deal. I won't deny being terrified of what will happen to me if I cannot uphold my end, but I swear to you I am entering this with honest intentions. We've lost good people today. Friends and family. Whoever was behind their deaths is going to pay for it by inches. I owe them that much."

Standing up, Roach began to strap her armor back on. It was reassuring to be dressed again. For her the armor was both physical and emotional defense, and having to bare herself to this witch and her subordinates rankled. "I will come tomorrow, and I will stay as long as you'd like. Your ways are strange to me, but if we can be allies? I would like that."

Strange was putting it mildly. Yet this was a powerful woman and Roach made it a point to try and make powerful people either dead or under her thumb. If she had to restrain herself and be an ingratiating, obsequious waif to ensure the latter? No question she would do so.

"The details of what you know can wait until tomorrow and you are assured of my intentions. But I would like to ask this now: My enemy. Will you tell me their name?"

After this, Roach is heading home unless Woods Witch has more to discuss or something else crops up.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach nodded as she tightened the final buckle. "Tomorrow." With a glance at her cohorts she took her leave and headed back outside.

Skull. Skull. Roach rolled the name around in her mind, feeling it out. Tasting it. It was short and blunt and utterly lacking in nuance or subtlety. Kind of like Roach.

What did I do to you, Skull? Who did I kill; what did I destroy - that you hate me this much? Or is this your way of flirting with me?

"You drive, TD." Roach slid into the passenger seat and set the butt of the shotgun in between her feet, one hand resting on the barrel as she ran a hand through her hair with the other. She sighed contentedly as the analgesic effects of the witch's salve began to numb the aches and pains of the day.

As Right Nut and Tumble Dry settled in and the buggy roared into life, Roach closed her eyes and spoke. "No. We are not going to talk with HR. I'll sit down with him and Matilda and explain things and the girl will make her decision. Remember why you signed up with me in the first place. You follow my orders and in return, me and the rest of the Glee Club have your back no matter what. If I go around selling off your family members that whole basis of trust collapses. If she says no? Well. The witch will get her pound of flesh one way or another, I have no doubt. But what I am hoping for is that the two of them realize the benefits to all of us by saying yes. If even some of the rumors I have heard are true, having two people with that sort of power and well disposed towards me is invaluable."

Roach sat silently for a moment before piping back up. "Right Nut. When the time comes, don't let me get carried away. You get to pull the trigger on this Skull once we get hold of her. That's my promise to you."

*The possibility that Skull wants to seize power or cause chaos, and Roach was simply a convenient target and nothing more does not remotely cross Roach's mind. To her, it has to be something personal. Her ego demands it.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach stepped out of the vehicle and slung the shotgun over her shoulder. As the rest of her crew piled out, she turned to address them.

"Put the word out that we'll be holding services this evening for the dead. I'll explain what's up and who's dying because of it afterwards. Balls, Helix, Tumble Dry." Roach cocked her head towards the vehicles. "Get these gassed up and looked over, and tell the garage crew to move up maintenance checks on the rest."

At that, she left them to go about their business. Right Nut could go do whatever he needed to do to cope. Probably go to Solitary and piss off Aster. Meanwhile, she needed to talk to Bleak and arrange a burial detail. Had to set up a meeting with HR and his sister as well. gently caress, what a complete poo poo show this day had turned out to be.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach watched the pair skulk off, head cocked and hands on her hips. "I never noticed before. Mishka has a really nice rear end." Flicking her dark eyes over to Bleak, she gave him that silent look of, 'was that something I need to know about?'

"So. Our check-up on the farm was a complete disaster. A revenant got most of the crew, Left Nut included, so her brother is gonna be in a mood for a long while. Talked to the Woods Witch on the way back, and it seems some bitch named Skull is behind it. She's willing to tell me more but I'm going to need Matilda's cooperation. The upside to all of this is Good Frank owes us big time, for whatever that's worth." She waved a hand in annoyed dismissal. "I want you to round up some people for burial detail. The dead belong to winter now, but we'll see them off as best we can."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

drat it. Even Bleak was getting the creeps. Not that Roach blamed him - this was some bad loving voodoo to have to deal with. Still, it was not a great sign. The man was old, and you didn't get old doing what he did without having seen and survived and spit in the eyes of just about everything that walked under this autumn sky. The only time she had ever seen Bleak scared before was when a wild dog took a chunk out of him. What was it he had said? Ray-bees? Roach didn't know what a ray-bee was but it sure worried the hell out the old bastard. He would wake up and stare at his canteen like it had a gun to his head. He had eventually gotten over the fear that had him, but the look in his eyes now was the sort of look he had had back then.

"Yeah. I plan on talking with our alive boys and girls after we put the dead ones in the ground this evening. They'll need to know what's going on and what we're going to do about it. Just so you're apprised - when it happens, we're going all in. Everything we have. This Skull is going to be buried under so much ordinance you'll need stilts to get through the shell casings."

As he headed off, she called out. "One last thing. Put the word out that I'm looking for Barracuda, and that whoever gets her here will earn themselves a finders fee."

Sauntering off, Roach began making the rounds. Chatting with her boys and girls, or sneering at/ignoring the common jackoffs that thought to take advantage of her time asking for this or that. Moh and HR were the diplomatic ones and it was only because she heeded their council that she allowed anyone but her gang to live here at all. And speaking of diplomacy...she would have to have a word with Moh and Hoarfrost. The Queen tolerated Roach's adherence to Hoarfrost's teachings but she wasn't a fan, and she used Fleece as a pawn to rile up winter's faithful. Jackaback meanwhile was, like Girl Friday, part of the Glee Club and part of The End, and took it upon himself to be a counter to Fleece's troublemaking.

Roach herself? She thought it was all pretty hilarious, and it kept people on their toes. So long as nobody started killing without cause they could have their little ideological war. Complacency was always an enemy, and if things settled down in the Warren it would sneak in during the night and rob them of their strength. Still. She would have to clarify that stance before someone started taking things too personally.

Off to find HR and invite him for a quick drink and a chat at Solitary.

Shardix fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 10, 2018

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

"HR. Matilda." Roach nodded to the man before meeting Matilda's glower head on. "You look like you have something on your mind, small lady. And I would love to hear all about it." Roach flashed Matilda a tight, malevolent smile before whipping her head back around to look at HR. "No, things are not alright. What joyous fortune, then, to have the two people in all the world who can change that here before me. Join me at Solitary. I have a proposition."

It was not a request.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

Roach sat back in her seat, ignoring the food. There was a hungry look in her eyes - a predator that had just caught wind of a wounded animal. With the pain from her injuries deadened and time to think, the idea of the coming violence was starting to sink its fingers into her mind. A clash against someone who could command revenants? It was going to be brutal, and ugly, and she could hardly wait.

"We're going to war. My crew got hit hard today checking out the farm and a bitch named Skull is behind it. Woods Witch knows more, but she's not giving that knowledge away for free." She leaned forward and stared Matilda in the eyes. "The Witch wants you as an apprentice. I have no idea precisely what that entails. A lot of hard work, I imagine. Cooking and cleaning. Learning the forest and its secret ways. Warming her bed, maybe. I don't know." She turned towards HR. "What I do know is that it's almost certainly a better deal than she's ever going to get here."

Roach sat back again and crossed her arms. "Think it over. I don't need an answer right this moment. But I will need an answer in a week. But consider this, small lady. You'll be heir to that woman's power and you'll have the Warren's backing - without having to live under my rules. The surly look you keep flashing me suggests you'd be just fine with that."

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

The last thread of Roach's patience snapped as the girl mouthed off to her. She was a slip of practically nothing - it would be scarcely any effort at all to haul the little bitch up and onto the table. And from there, well. Roach was practiced enough with that machete and the small lady didn't necessarily need both arms. Wouldn't be so many sullen looks after she got her own severed limb thrown into her face.

Just as her hate made the decision for her, she was utterly derailed as Aster approached and rattled off her speech. Suddenly all impetus to maim Matilda stopped cold, like a hound caught short by its chain. The fury was still there snapping and snarling, but held fast.

For now.

"...Aster." She wanted to spit fire and acid into the eyes of everybody around her. She glared at the pair she was seated with. "Say 'thank you', ingrates." Returning her gaze to Aster and pointedly not taking the proffered sweets, she continued. "...How's business?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

The end! No moral.
Roach

"Little club." Roach swept a hand through her hair and gave the maestro'd a dark look through lowered brows. "Spare me the condescension. I'm getting enough attitude from the small lady. Any more of it and I'm going to forget how to be civil." She sat back and drummed her fingers on the table, forcing herself to maintain a neutral expression.

"As for how things are going? Poorly. Any day now revenants are like to be hammering on the walls. I can already imagine what the screaming will sound like. But, the decision has been made. Its out of my hands now." Roach flicked her eyes towards Matilda. Standing up, Roach brushed herself free of imaginary dust before putting a hand on her waist, hip cocked.

"..."

Roach's mouth opened but nothing came out. She snapped her jaw shut and the distant look in her eyes made it clear the gears were turning. Slowly and creakily, but turning nonetheless.

"...So anyway. I need to go see my wife. Do me a solid, Aster? See to it HR and the small lady get whatever they want. Be generous, and I will return the favor."

• Locked thread