Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/harrylylesjr/status/952379643893608448

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I can't believe this pass happened

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/952391256990085125

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I think the Titans would be a lot better if they played to Mariota's strengths (always line him up under center, lots of play action and rpo's.

Conklin going down and the D getting worn down ground the Titans down as the game went on.

Funny is that Andy Reid got killed for trying the same thing... Go light on running, heavy on passing to tire out the Titans' dline... but Andy got killed for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sponges posted:

I never got to watch a Tim Tebow game :(

Imagine you were watching a game that was Tom Savage until the last drive when suddenly Savage morphed into a greased up Russel Wilson

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d8252ecaa/Tebow-sacked-28-yard-loss

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Re: Onside kick vs Kicking off.

2:16 left, Steelers had 2 timeouts.

You lose on a first down no matter what.

Either way, your path to a chance for victory is:

Kickoff: 2:12
1st down: 2 minute warning
2nd down: 1:54, TO #2
3rd down: 1:48, TO #3
Punt: 1:42

Onside kick gets recovered 5-10% of the time when the other team expects it.

So you're trading ~40 yards of Field position for that 5-10% chance of recovery. In a normal onside, the Jaguars would be out of FG range... unless you get a penalty on the play.

All in all, I think either option is fine... but their execution sucked and got a penalty that meant the Jags only needed a few yards for a FG attempt, they got 9 and had an easy one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/status/952653781279293440

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lmao Marcus Williams

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kirios posted:

Was that the worst defensive play of all time?

Yeah

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

For absolute worst postseason mistake I think the Bettis fumble and Nick Harper's failure to run up the wide open sideline, choosing instead to try to run through Ben Roethlisberger, were both even worse than what Williams did.

That's the only play that immediately comes to mind unless you count kickers honking easy kicks

Don't care about arguing for/against it at all, but using the excuse to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7rPIg7ZNQ8

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the Jags are probably going to try to sign Cousins/Keenum/Smith, fail and end up bringing Bortles back, yeah. And their first round pick is going to be too low to draft a new quarterback with it, probably. I'd lay 2-to-1 they draft one in the second or third round though.

e: I'm also assuming the Giants are going to keep Eli Manning, because if they don't he 100% is going to be starting for the Jaguars next year

Yeah, Bortles could win the Superbowl with two good games and he's still getting thrown the gently caress out in favor of an actually good QB.

Like look at that game against the Steelers yesterday, Bortles was bad for most of the game, and even when he was good it was off of play action when the Steelers bit like woah, hitting a couple of deepshots when, again, the Steelers were playing the run, and getting praised for going through his progressions and tossing dumpoffs to his RB's.

He's a significant step down from Andy Dalton, Alex Smith on this roster would be ridiculous.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean the praise Bortles got for hitting that TJ Yeldon dumpoff late in the game was hilarious.

Like that was the worst damning of a guy I've ever heard. Wow, Bortles took the pass, went through his options and successfully completed a short flat pass to a running back.

They sounded like they were talking up a freshman starter in the Sun Belt

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

With the defense the Jaguars have, Fournette, a bunch of solid WR's and complimentary pieces on that offense... we're looking at the 2013-2016 Seahawks over the next four years if they sign Cousins or Alex Smith.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/MikePereira/status/952609589584957443

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Bjay9 posted:

What is this in regards to? I didn't watch the New England game

In the Patriots game, right before the half, Amendola caught a pass , dove at the ground and immediately signaled for a timeout, and the announcers started going off that the clock hung on one second for a long time.

Same thing happened in the Eagles game on a sideline play.

On replay it turned out to actually be fine, but since the announcers got worked up about it, people wigged out about home cooking. But the NFL has neutral clock operators... only for the playoffs apparently. So they admit it is rigged for homecooking in the regular season, which is pretty funny.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Posted this right as the game was ending:

Kalli posted:

Re: Onside kick vs Kicking off.

2:16 left, Steelers had 2 timeouts.

You lose on a first down no matter what.

Either way, your path to a chance for victory is:

Kickoff: 2:12
1st down: 2 minute warning
2nd down: 1:54, TO #2
3rd down: 1:48, TO #3
Punt: 1:42

Onside kick gets recovered 5-10% of the time when the other team expects it.

So you're trading ~40 yards of Field position for that 5-10% chance of recovery. In a normal onside, the Jaguars would be out of FG range... unless you get a penalty on the play.

All in all, I think either option is fine... but their execution sucked and got a penalty that meant the Jags only needed a few yards for a FG attempt, they got 9 and had an easy one.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gatts posted:

I don't remember exactly but there was one playoff game, I want to say Atlanta vs Denver when Peyton was quarterbacking, that the Falcons did this thing where they'd line up and all of a sudden started shifting and hopping their defense around. It pulled Peyton off his game cause they kept adjusting and it was very effective since his anticipated match ups would change in like seconds before snap. I wonder why we may not see something like that again and it'd probably work well against Brady and Bill.

This was the muddle huddle and has been used a few times.

The problem with it is if the offense snaps when you aren't expecting it, you are now very out of position and any well blocked running play will ruin your day.

The Patriots is probably the team it'd be the worst against, because they're perfectly fine with running or passing out of TE & fullback packages, and would just line up in 12 and dare you to play red rover while they run Dion Lewis a fullback and a pulling guard into truck sized holes.

Here's a writeup on some HS coach who uses it and must be hattttteedddd by everyone else in his division, my god:

http://blog.xowizard.com/stealing-points-with-the-muddle-huddle/

Kalli fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jan 16, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

WHOOPS posted:

all these front page headlines are neat but i really only care about the TB Times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean Tom lost to the shambling corpse of Peyton Manning's career not two years ago so it's not impossible for him to lose to a actually good D

Though even that took a heroic effort and Brady still drove down the field for the game tying touchdown, his kicker had just botched an XP earlier, so the going for 2 failed.

Man those two passes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B8sLoBXZk8

• Locked thread