Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MJ12 posted:

Weirdly, you would think that a niche multiplayer only game like this would be dominated by extremely skilled players at all tiers, who drastically outclass people who come into the game at this point.

Nah. I've played a fair number for niche, aging, or decrepit multiplayer games, and in my experience, the average skill level tends to be pretty modest. Tryhards tend to gravitate toward more popular stuff.

Only except are games like Starcraft 2 that tout themselves and being for only the sweatiest of bois.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I have serious concerns about that jarl's list because according to their data, I was at one point better than 90% of other players.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I was frequently 97%+ and peaked over 99%, and let me tell you, I am objectively loving terrible at FPS games.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
That is because it is relative to your tier. If you are in T5/T4 it is very easy to get up in +90% on jarls because you are much better than the players you face. Once you get up into T1 it is harder to stay there.
The population of the game is also heavily skewed to the lower tiers (T3-4-5), even though the system makes people creep up to T1 due to giving you a rank up almost for free when on the winning team there are way more people in the lower tiers.

Skippy McPants posted:

I was frequently 97%+ and peaked over 99%, and let me tell you, I am objectively loving terrible at FPS games.
You're selling yourself short, you are/were a very good player. And also you farmed in the MCII-DS constantly :qq:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

FebrezeNinja posted:

And at some point they decided to change HPG Manifold from a nascar disaster to a sniping disaster.

HPG's got a lot of cover in the center for brawlers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

If you're posting in this thread you're definitely not in the bottom half of players. Simply by seeking any amount of outside info puts you automatically head & shoulders above most other players. I'm no longer a hardcore twitch shooter player either but I was routinely 95th-99th% on Jarls until I just started loving around in the game, and even then it's enough to keep me at the top of t1. Lot of joystick players and other people who are actually having fun down in tier 4, unlike us.

Sucks because I definitely don't play often enough anymore and am not fast enough anymore to hang with the very top tier competitive players but I still get matched with them and I get why, but there's a huge skill gulf between them and I even if I am in the top few percent of players.

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
gotta admit his video has got me back into playing again and at my lowly tier 3 level it's still good fun if not long wait times, sure i'll get bored but wish there was some new lights to play with or something

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

by.a.teammate posted:

gotta admit his video has got me back into playing again and at my lowly tier 3 level it's still good fun if not long wait times, sure i'll get bored but wish there was some new lights to play with or something

Same, my only complaint is that there are so many hero mechs that I don't know what chassis or weight class they are when the pop up on the radar, and I don't know much about the new weapons.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Join the discord, we have a much more active community than this thread with people that can answer any questions or recommend mechs and so on.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
This is true, just watch out for the grognards recommending mad dogs and snubnose vulcans or what have you.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Also ignore anyone in a Stormcrow

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I still pilot a Streak-Crow load out I got from this very thread oh… 8 years ago or so.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Been having fun since getting on the discord. It's a bit quiet, but the crowd there are all good people. Started off using the HBR-PRIME build I still had up from the last time I played, and I hated every minute of it. A squishy glass cannon that gets a couple shots off and then dies as soon as anything notices it. Then I tried an ASN-23 I also had laying around, running an SRM+ARTY build, and had more fun with that. Being able to run around and actually see the maps instead of just hiding behind sniper nests was good. I think I got cored right at the start of the fighting about as many times as I managed to live, but it helped to teach me how to pilot a bit. When to push, when to run, a bit on how to flank, more about helping to call out targets and actually contribute a bit to the team. Then today I just loaded up a JR7-F with a medium laser vomit build. I got the mech from the giveaway event going on right now. the first two rounds I played with it, even though I have zero skill points into it yet, I've managed to leg two assaults and capture a base, and I even lived!

I can't tell, but either I'm getting better, or I'm finally finding my niche in the game.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Star Man posted:

I'm not sanguine about this post.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Star Man posted:

They were absolute murder beasts when they were released

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jenners are my favourite robots, they are gawky chicken legged X wings

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
The Jenner was the first mech I ever bought. I don’t have one anymore, i should grab one again!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

They were absolute murder beasts when they were released

they were so good. been left behind for a while now sadly

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Stormcrow comment is me ribbing on vorebane :ssh:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

In general though I agree, it's too bad that the SCR is so squishy. It's not meaningfully better than many of the things that have been released since, I'm not really sure why it languishes like it does. I play one of mine from time to time just to see if it's some overlooked gem, but no, it's just bad.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Stormcrow has been forgotten, it really needs a pass from the Cauldron (the player led balance "council"). Bad quirks, bad mounts, super squishy. It doesnt do anything other mechs doesnt do better. If you see one just push it, it will fold immediately, just like the Nova which also sucks now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The NVA-A is at least fun if not good, I forget the numbers but it's basically doubled PPC velocity. Two ER PPCs on mounts that bad with such a fragile mech doesn't really cut it in the modern game though.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Star Man posted:

The Stormcrow comment is me ribbing on vorebane :ssh:

Hey, I was already ribbing myself with the snubnose vulcan bit, did I really need double ribbing??

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

vorebane posted:

Hey, I was already ribbing myself with the snubnose vulcan bit, did I really need double ribbing??

You got twenty-four ribs

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

vorebane posted:

Double-ribbing for your protection

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kesper North posted:

Double-ribbing for your protection

Double the ribs at two thirds the weight, clan style

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
so uh I guess for a F2P game this isn't bad????? I'm kind of waiting for it to hit me over the head with some bullshit but so far it seems fine? I guess it really changed a lot of over the years. I played a lot of MW5 coop, but solo its kind of lack luster, so I picked up MWO having literally never played it before (think I created an account and maybe didn't even play a match years ago).

Other than the terrible 10 year old interface (with no scaling options for higher res lol) its pretty fun! The trial mechs seem pretty legit, I'm rolling people with the lights. Its really incredible to see so many aspects of MW5 that felt purely vestigial have an interesting purpose - shutting down to avoid sensors, being small and fast making it hard to hit, getting in close as a light vs a huge assault means they may not be able to pivot down (since there is no melee), spotting and ECM. https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/ has really been a great help to understanding detailed mechanics.

One thing I'm struggling with is how to use 1-2 JJ to turn faster or skip jump for increasing my speed. It seems like I've seen other people do it, but I can't figure it out. Especially skip jumping for max speed, I thought just tapping jump would do it, but that actually slows me down on my light mechs.

edit: also why on earth are the sound effects so much better in MWO than MW5 lol

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 30, 2024

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Other small weird difference between the game

they made the rasalhauge paint job worse in MW5

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Beans posted:

One thing I'm struggling with is how to use 1-2 JJ to turn faster or skip jump for increasing my speed. It seems like I've seen other people do it, but I can't figure it out. Especially skip jumping for max speed, I thought just tapping jump would do it, but that actually slows me down on my light mechs.

Dunno about the bunny hopping, but the fast turn is relatively easy. You just get going in a direction, burn the JJs, and while those are going and you're off the ground, turn your feet to whichever direction you want and let off the JJs. You land and instantly change momentum to the new direction. I need to get better at doing this faster, because I've not really been able to do it well enough in actual fights.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Captain Beans posted:

so uh I guess for a F2P game this isn't bad????? I'm kind of waiting for it to hit me over the head with some bullshit but so far it seems fine? I guess it really changed a lot of over the years. I played a lot of MW5 coop, but solo its kind of lack luster, so I picked up MWO having literally never played it before (think I created an account and maybe didn't even play a match years ago).

For all the well-deserved poo poo PGI gets their monetization scheme isn't half bad. Hero mechs are mostly *different* rather than overpowered, they shower you with free stuff during events, etc. kind of shocking given the company

you can't use JJ to increase your speed. on certain mechs whose jumping animations are jerkier than the rest, you can tap the JJs to make it more difficult for people to hit you

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Dumb question, what does the "enemy spotted" thing even do? Help others get locks or some up in brackets?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Dumb question, what does the "enemy spotted" thing even do? Help others get locks or some up in brackets?

It puts a little marker on the enemy mech on the minimap which persists for a couple seconds after the red dot disappears. It's useful for seeing which direction the mech is going when it backs into cover -- especially useful when sussing out flanks

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The marker is also visible to your entire team. Marking is one of the best and most underutilized abilities in the game. Put it on an easy key bind and spam it on cooldown. Similarly, always have an enemy targeted, even if you don't need damage readout because it also lights them up on the mini-map.

Information is Ammunition!

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 30, 2024

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Captain Beans posted:

Other than the terrible 10 year old interface (with no scaling options for higher res lol) its pretty fun! The trial mechs seem pretty legit, I'm rolling people with the lights. Its really incredible to see so many aspects of MW5 that felt purely vestigial have an interesting purpose - shutting down to avoid sensors, being small and fast making it hard to hit, getting in close as a light vs a huge assault means they may not be able to pivot down (since there is no melee), spotting and ECM. https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/ has really been a great help to understanding detailed mechanics.

edit: also why on earth are the sound effects so much better in MWO than MW5 lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS1kE4PzRv0

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Pattonesque posted:

It puts a little marker on the enemy mech on the minimap which persists for a couple seconds after the red dot disappears. It's useful for seeing which direction the mech is going when it backs into cover -- especially useful when sussing out flanks

Skippy McPants posted:

The marker is also visible to your entire team. Marking is one of the best and most underutilized abilities in the game. Put it on an easy key bind and spam it on cooldown. Similarly, always have an enemy targeted, even if you don't need damage readout because it also lights them up on the mini-map.

Information is Ammunition!
When I play I use it liberally, just never knew what it actually did. Thanks!

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

it got a lot of QOL updates in terms of mechs being usable and quirked after the cauldron stepped in, but the major way it 'hit you over the head' was with the skill tree and progression changing. Its better now, but basically it costs more and takes longer to skill a mech up.
you no longer need to master 3 to elite it or whatever tho(there's ways to skip the tree grind), and the skill trees were (semi recently) trimmed to get rid of cruft and you can mostly buy what you want.

Overall I'm not sure if its faster or slower than before, but I do think its more expensive in terms of c-bills, but you also freed up mechbays from the no-more-3-packing.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Thanks for the tips everyone, that movement mechanics video especially.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

https://mwomercs.com/news/2024/02/2830-mechwarrior-online-legends-2024-q1-intel-update

Upcoming March Weapons:

I am excited to reveal we have some new weapons that are currently in development!

Inner Sphere weapons:

- Light AC/2 and AC/5: A modified version of the Autocannon that sacrifices cooldown and range for a lighter weight.
- Silver Bullet Gauss Rifle: A modified gauss rifle that fires its shells in a spread pattern with a rapid cooldown.
- Magshot Gauss Rifle: A much smaller gauss rifle designed for targeting smaller opponents.
- Thunderbolt Missile 5, 10, 15, 20: A medium range, lock on, high payload missile system.

Clan weapons:

- Proto AC/2, AC4, and AC/8: Similar to IS LACs, a modified Autocannon with increased weight savings, longer cooldown, and shorter range.
- AP Gauss Rifle: A much smaller gauss rifle designed for targeting smaller opponents.
- Beam Laser: A variation of the X-Pulse laser, this large class laser gives a continuous beam output.
- Plasma Cannon: A lighter version of the Clan ERPPC, this weapon deals a slight amount of heat damage along with regular damage.

Keep in mind these weapons still have to be balanced and tested but we are excited to bring more variety to spice up your loadouts!

The March Patch will be March 19th and Patch Notes will be posted the Friday before.

And in other MechWarrior News!

We will be announcing the title and content for DLC 6 for MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries.
This will be revealed (hopefully) before the end of January or Early February.
so get ready to wishlist MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries DLC 6 when that announcement is up!
We have more information coming on the Development of MechWarrior 5 Clans in February.
We look forward to your feedback.
The MechWarrior Dev Team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I love how haphazard the hard points look on that goofy, shield-toting Black Knight. Unironically. It looks like the natural result of some juiced-up merc telling his poor mechtech to "just add more gun."