Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I stopped playing this a while back when lights got mostly garbage hammered (aside from the locust because of being so tiny and like a few randoms after the MG buff). Has that been resolved yet? If so, what lights are in at the moment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
What's the preferred ACH these days? I always loved the 6 spl, but that seemed to go on the wayside when the MG arms came out.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
What's the general feeling about ATMs? I feel like they fit into my playstyle and would give me something to do while closing to brawl range and remaining effective once there, as long as I can keep a certain distance. What is the major tradeoff for the benefits? Weight? Low ammo?

I feel like a linebacker with 2 ATM12s and some brawlin lasers would be fun, but that may be tonnage tight/hot.

Also gunna repost this again just to see if anyone has any feedback.

Marathanes posted:

What's the preferred ACH these days? I always loved the 6 spl, but that seemed to go on the wayside when the MG arms came out.

Been running 6spls and 2spls/6mgs and both seem fine, if not as great as the ACH used to be.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
So wtf does stealth armor actually do? I put it on my PB, and people do seem to have a harder time hitting me when its active, but like, I guess I've never noticed anyone else using it? It seems to be worth the heat penalty but I wish I knew what it actually did in a more nuts and bolts sense than just the in game description "allows your mech to toggle stealth mode."

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Oh. That's actually pretty good. Makes the Pirate's Bane even more annoying.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I just play with voice off. If people want to talk at me they can type. If I want to play with a group, I'll be in discord with folks. I've no desire to listen to randos.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
It'll probably depend on your playstyle, but I'm inclined to say do whatever you think is fun. Oftentimes, I'll just screw around with an unskilled mech and try out different builds if I have the equipment or cbills laying around. If not, builds that can do the most while being exposed the least are probably decent bets (snipers) or you can do a bracket build (which most folks hate) and have like 1 LRM on a laser vomit/brawl build so you can tag poo poo with LRMs while closing to range to get as many assists as possible.

There are probably more meta / specific ways to cheese more xp, but just have fun with it.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Badlas still works.

PS: Don't play a Badlas. Or do. Whatever. I'm not your real ghost dad anyways. If anything it makes pubbies REAL mad.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

Every game I quickmatch into everyone votes for polar shithole which is the supreme LRM boat pissing contest. I'm copying that build because I am utterly incapable of an original thought.

I only ever came up with it because I inherited the old loyalty atlas. I just use it to farm c-bills (not that I ever really need to do that anymore) and to make pubs mad. The one thing to make sure you are doing is trying to keep range at about 400m (you're slow as sin so it'll take you a while to get there, so feel free to LRM away on the route in). Share armor (most folks will fire on you at that distance) and get your own locks. Swap out one of the MLs for a TAG if you want to lock even faster. Between the CC and the BAP, it locks like lightning already, but whatevs. Skill into survival, missiles in firepower, all the heat stuff in operations, and the sensor tree (target decay). I did 33 firepower, 24 survival, 20 ops, 13 sensors, 1 aux, but there's room for futzing between firepower / survival.

Edit: I also miss old frozen city / forest colony. Cave firefights were awesome.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 21, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Polka_Rapper posted:

Why is all that ammo in the arms? WHY?

I did lead with the 'Don't play this.' :smith: You could case it and put it all in the ballistic torso, but :effort:. With a 300 standard you don't twist worth a drat anyways, so damage just goes where it wills. After 4 tons of ammo in the legs, and since the head gets used for the CC, I figure you're taking a risk no matter what.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Is there an IS medium/light version of the roughneck/battlemaster? Lasers with durability quirks? Looking for something to pad out my IS drop decks with for the upcoming event that won't run out of ammo.

Edit: I guess good old Mr. Greenbeam would work, but it's durability quirks aren't great. Crab? Urbie? Wolfhound?

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 22, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
400xl Battlemaster with 3 LPL and 3 ERML feels like a shady version of the EXE. Why no MASC?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
So I like mechs with gimmicks, and have for a long time. The SHC is one of my standbys, and I like many mechs with some sort of quirky playstyle (looking at you 3x AMS KFX, flamer/MG MLX, and MASC PHX with an XL350). MASC, ECM, and JJs are my friends.

So I've had this laser vom EXE for a long time. Given that the ECM assaults generally don't do it for me (RIP Ghost Dad, though the MAD-IIC-D with 2 LB20s is pretty fun), the EXE feels like the only quirky weird assault. I know there are a few heros with MASC, but I'm not going to pay for the Spirit Bear or whatever the hero Zeus is.

Are there any other viable builds for the EXE other than laser vom? The few ballistic / missile combos I've come up with seem undergunned because so much of the EXE's tonnage is licked into JJs and the MASC and such.

Are there any other big JJ/MASC/ECM mechs that I've been blind to seeing? Honestly I think the only mech that has all three that I know if is the SHC.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Eh, garbage or not, I'll still use it if only because it's quirky and different. Being able to get to and extract from a deep flank in a 95 ton assault is fun, to me. Stock standard laser vom / PPD / high alpha - peek/poke playstyle doesn't really interest me anymore. Gotta have something different in terms of MASC/ECM/JJs so I can flank or be in unexpected places.

This is probably why I mostly play lights / fast mediums and shoot butts and be a annoyance anymore - the ERML Pirate's Bane is such an blast these days (love to play it) - people hate it so much.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Rysithusiku posted:

This may be the most wrong thing I've ever heard.
It is a joke right?
Haha funny joke!

Seriously, you are joking right?

I have solo'd assaults/heavies/slow mediums easily with a 4x flamer 8x MG MLX. Some people just don't know how to not pull the trigger, and as as soon as they do you flip around back and they die - especially if they've already got stripped armor back there. If they're out of position, they may as well be as good as dead unless their friendly lights come to save them.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

smooth jazz posted:

Er, i logged off yesterday with about 2.5 mil cbills.
Today i find 9.2 mil cbills. Anyone know what happened?

Did you redeem the Solaris 7 promo event money prize? I think it was 7 million c-bills for 7 wins.

Edit: from this link further up the page - https://mwomercs.com/events/102

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 15, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Re: torsos, thanks all. My natural follow up question then is, what if any mech is a good candidate in the medium chassis range for decent speed and dual RAC5? I like the smaller chassis of the Uziel because it makes me less of a priority target.

I run a SHD-2H with dual RAC5s - the really high mounts work pretty well. It's not super fast but it works and I have fun with it. Seems to do best hill humping alongside other bigs drawing fire / sharing armor.

The rockets are a nice surprise too if you can get behind someone - just be sure to not be TOO close.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I generally agree with everything previously said, but fwiw, I would never run my PB without speed tweak. That's probably because I tend to abhor the peek/poke playstyle (though I'll admit the ERML PB is pretty good). Tweak is essential, imo, for being able to outrun other lights (this is more of a concern if you're running a 4spl build on the PB). Gotta go fast.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Any thoughts on S7 Division 4 assault builds (all Zeuses (Zeusi? / Zeuloxen?) or HGN-IIC-A/C) ? I know they're probably not the best mechs in the division, but the idea of bringing a big bad stompy robot to a division where I've been running my oxide for laughs amuses me, if only for all the armor my opponents will have to chew through.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Parallelwoody posted:

Could someone give me an arctic cheetah build?

6 cspls, one heat sink, ecm. Done. If you want to run a v hot poker, you can go with 6 cermls, heat sink, ecm. A alpha build that is a fun backstabber but not necessarily optimal would be 4 chmls, 3 heat sinks, ecm.

There are also the MG arms, like this build from the posts subsequent to the OP. https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=291&l=34f20f4d8d40f084aa01b72442834c6431d7ac87

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
One way to get your feet wet with ATMs (and my preferred mech for them at the moment) is with the cougar. It can carry 2 ATM9s, a decent number of backup lasers, ecm, JJs, and an active probe; you have some flexibility if you want bigger backup weapons by sacrificing the JJs or probe, or you can swap in a light tag.

Standard cougar advice applies - stay with the pack, share your ecm, gather locks, and don't fire the atms until you're punching 54 damage a volley (or at least 36).

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
This match score event is making people play like idiots (worse than usual), I swear. Teamwork goes out the window everytime there's a KMDD or match score event.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

free hubcaps posted:

thanks to whoever recommended that sound effects mod awhile ago, lasers in particular sound so much better and I love that when someone somewhere on the map has a part blown up you know it

Repost this please.

Edit: Also, what's the thought on how to adjust the MAD-IIC? I just dropped 2 cmpls and upped the engine to a cxl380 while stripping the empty arm (so 2clpls, 4cmpls, clams, cxl380 and 18 double heat sinks), but I'm open to other thoughts.

Edit 2:vv Thank you.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 12, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, the old repair bill mechanic essentially punished you doubly when you lost a match. Not only did you make less money, but you also had to pay more to get in shape for the next fight. It also incentivized gameplay where you took the least amount of damage possible while doing the most, which is lame - the game has enough risk averse LRM/sniping/long range players without a mechanic that reinforces it.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 14, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Advanced zoom - 4 deep in the sensor tree in the skill grid, off on its own branch. Not sure what the default keybind is for it. Perhaps X or Z?

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

peer posted:

Cool, thanks. So Heavy PPCs if I can fit them, other types no thanks unless I really want one for brawling for some reason. One more question, for you or anyone else: most laser boats I see mount almost exclusively pulse versions. Do I ever want ER or Heavy lasers instead? I know they have different ranges, damage and heat values and so on, and seem to be (mostly) translated directly from tabletop stats, but are pulses preferable as an all-purpose kind of thing?

Pulses burn faster, and hit harder, for about the same heat as regular or ER versions. But they weigh more. For endurance / brawling, pulses are generally preferable because of their higher damage per heat. Take a look at the Marauder IIC and the Battlemaster in the OP for examples of this type. Frankly, I see fewer of these builds than the ER / regular type, but I prefer these because they tend to hold up longer / need less time to cool before the next volley once a knife fight starts.

ER or regular lasers take longer to do less damage than pulses, but generally do full damage to a longer range. They also weigh less. These are better for peek/poke builds that try to trade at medium or longer ranges. Take a look at the Roughneck or the Hellbringer in the OP for an example of this archetype. I feel like I see more of these in the wild, as the peek/poke playstyle tends to dominate the QP queue.

Clan heavy lasers are a third kind, that trade reduced range (though not to the extent of the pulses), extra heat, and longer burn times for significant increases in damage. They weigh the same as ER / regular lasers. These tend to either work well alone with a bunch of heat sinks- 4 clan heavy mediums hit for 40 damage and you can run them on just about anything effectively, and 6 heavy smalls can hit pretty hard for a quick light, running in, striking until you're hot, and then diving out to cool down. They also work well paired with other similar ranged / burn time lasers (the pair that comes to mind is that clan ER mediums pair well with clan heavy larges, as in the OP Hellbringer build).

So, general rules of thumb, the way I see it:
Pulses are brawlier, cooler lasers for punching hard, close in, over an extended battle.
ERs / regulars are for mid range trading / peeking / poking - they're hot but have decent range.
Heavies can mix in with certain builds, or stand alone, but run quite hot, so usually work best with a peek / poke or strike / fade playstyle.

Edit: few additions / formatting edits

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 20, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
It's one of those things that might be a bit too complicated for a complete newbie, without a few hours of dinking with the different types of lasers under their belt, to really grasp. I hope you find it helpful. At the end of the day, some of it does come down to personal preference /playstyle as well. Like Herb said, they like to sync their burn times as closely as possible, whereas I tend to try to sync ranges as closely as possible. I can't aim at one particular part consistently enough to save my life (I can hit the robot, but landing all the damage on the RT is like voodoo to me), so the heat to damage benefit of the pulses is more important to me than the short burn time. As long as you're having fun and doing well enough for yourself with a build, then it's a good build (for you, at least). I drive plenty of suboptimal mechs because they're fun or hilarious.

Take my latest project: ACW-A

I'm sure this thing is suboptimal, but if you get in the ATM sweet spot it just pukes damage, is sneaky, and is surprisingly good at murdering both overconfident lights (those that don't know to stay inside of ATM range) and heavies/assaults that get away from the murderball. I was running it with asrm4s, but it feels nastier with the atm3s. That said, I am always open for suggestions as to how to improve it.

Edit: the armor is not balanced properly in the link - it is in play.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 20, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
As someone who prefers to generally play lights, I think they're more or less okay. My standbys are the Pirate's Bane, ACH, Oxide, KFX, metal baby, COU and the occasional NARC Raven. The Jenner and Firestarter could be less fat. I hate the Wolfhound, but everyone else loves it (it drives like a potato imo and feels more like a small medium, like the Arctic Wolf, than like a light).

Aside from adjusting quirks and balance and such to make balance better (shrink Jenners back to original size plz), I would almost like to see a system that provides incentives for playing low population mechs. I can't remember what game had something similar (Planetside perhaps?) but if you played one of the low population factions, you earned an amount of bonus money / xp related to how great the population disparity was. I doubt it would completely solve the problem of heavies and assaults tending to be the preferred mechs, but I think it would draw more folks to playing lights and mediums, and benefit those players that tend to play them the most (not that we probably need more cbills or xp), especially when the disparities were really off, like during events and such.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

I've found recently that the most dangerous lights are the ones with enough discipline to hang back for the mid-late game and rush in with loads of machine guns to strip all the damaged mechs. It can be an absolute game changer if suddenly you lose half your weapons or your ac/20 to a light that strafes by. If he is half decent, there isn't any torso twisting that can stop him from taking your vulnerable sides, especially if you are in a heavy or assault.

This is an excellent strat that I'm terrible at personally. RIP my MLX most of the time when I play it (4 flamer 8 MG build). I may try to learn this playstyle better once the Piranha comes out for cbills. When I'm in a light I tend to do one of three main strategies, all of which can be extremely helpful to the team if done well, or can end in my quick and unceremonious death if I gently caress it up. I'm not saying these are the best strategies (I'm not a real tryhard), but they are relatively concise summaries of the main things I do to be successful when in lights.

1) Poke butts and annoy fats to break up the murderball / keep the slowest of the slowfats tied up behind the lines trying not to get murderzoned by your 20 ton rear end. This works best when the enemy lights are not responding to you, or when you can get clean kills because the fats ignore you tunneling into their rear end. For this, I rely on mechs that have some midrange punch (I try to keep to about max ERML range) and go really fast (for rapid repositioning at range). I prefer the ERML PB for this sort of work, but the Osiris, ERML/HML ACH or a Raven could do this as well. I regularly pull 700-800 damage games in an ERML PB with this kind of midrange work.

2) Dive in and out of the enemy like an insane person, just trying to cause as much chaos as possible, do as much damage as you can before hitting your heat ceiling, and then disengaging. You have to time these sorts of forays correctly, and do them with a bit of forethought to your ingress, cover while maneuvering, and egress (map knowledge is key for this), but if done properly, you can get a decent chunk of damage in, while disrupting formations, causing enemies to expose their backs to your team's firing line, deploying a UAV right in the mix, and often taking little return fire. The 6 CSPL ACH is a great mech for this, as are the metal babbies, or a SPL PB. This is the riskiest of the three, and can either go really well and you can get 500-1000 damage, or you can get one shotted by a lucky AC20 to a shoulder.

3) Spot for ATM/LRM mechs. While I do not generally endorse LRMS, ATMs can be great, and if you have a bunch of these LRM fool on your team, just keeping a lock on an exposed mech can do a lot of good in both helping the team do damage and in suppressing the enemy. I try to time my potshots to coincide with the missiles hitting the enemy so they have a harder time picking out where I'm spotting from. Any light with ECM can do this, but I prefer ones suited to poking butts so you can poke when the missiles hit. You can blend this with either of the other strats when waiting for openings to dive in or poke. It doesn't net you much damage or score, but can really help your team. I've played matches where my spotting has been responsible for he death of a good third of the enemy team.

Edit:

TjyvTompa posted:

Once you get that first random friend request after a QP game you know you made it, you PUG famous.

Is that what that means? I always figured someone just wanted to cry at me about something (whether it was killing them or dying in a stupendously horrible fashion).

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 22, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Dramicus posted:

Depending on your philosophy, the MLX is probably the better mech for teamplay because even if you aren't engaging, you can provide ecm support to allies while you wait for the right moment. The Piranha is, of course, more "optimal" for this strat in terms of pure damage and speed.

Can't run 8MG on the MLX with ECM tho, because the ECM goes in an arm omnipod. At best you'd be looking at 3 energy slots and 4 MGs if you wanted to be able to share ECM, at which point you're better off running an MG ACH w/ECM imo.

Edit: Goddamn, the hero ACH can roll 8 MGs + an energy weapon and ECM? That might be worth picking up on sale at some point.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 22, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Been enjoying light mechs. Can I get a sweet K9 build? Anyone else have light mech builds with a massive alpha?

For maximum alpha on a light, you're probably looking at suboptimal builds/mechs, but here's a few samples:

64 point laser alpha to midrange. Has ECM. Runs ridiculously hot (you'll shutdown if you use a 2nd alpha as soon as you can). Slow for a light. COU-H

72 point SRM alpha. No ECM. Jenner is fat. Slow for a light. (you could cut ammo and go with a bigger engine, but it's already below the level of ammo I'd prefer to run it with). You get a few volleys before hitting heat cap. JR7-IIC

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I saw the Shadow Cat was on sale this week, specifically the SHC-P. Any solid builds with that chassis? At first seems like it would be a hit and run crit brawler but then again perhaps it could be better used as a medium range skirmisher.

The SCH is probably my favorite 'mech in the game (either that or the PB), mostly because it has access to all three fun toys - MASC, ECM, and JJs. You can run a lot of different builds on it and they can all be successful. Some of my favorites include:

ECM, 2 LPLs and a ERML
ECM, 2 HLLs and an ERML
ECM, 3 ASRM6 and 2 ERMLs
2 HLLs and 6 MGs (as in the OP build)
ECM and 2 ERPPCs

Yes, I like having ECM, why do you ask? Some of these can be more aggressive if you forgo the ECM, but I prefer having it most of the time. Pretty much all these builds shine between 400-600m, with the exception of the SRM bomber, but they ALL rely on rapid repositioning and using MASC as much as you can to be in unexpected places where you can hit back armor or strike from angles where enemy is exposed. I always play the SCH trying to be as annoying as possible. It makes a great harasser and by repositioning quickly and hitting hard enough to draw attention you can disrupt the enemy murderball, cause enemies to expose their backs to your team, or draw off a few enemies to try to run you down while you skirt off at 130m/s.

It can make a competent ATM or streak boat as well, but I wouldn't say it shines in those roles. Ditto with any ballistics heavier than MGs - it just doesn't have the tonnage to make ballistic boating viable.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 23, 2018

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
NVA-S

Nothing too complicated.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

my dad posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the free Nova, though, can't seem to figure out the right playstyle. At this point, I might as well embrace the triple AMS and play support.

Honestly triple laser ams, six cersl and six c micro pulses with as many heat sinks as you can cram is one of my favorite Nova configurations. Hang with the murderball and provide ams cover for early and midgame then clean house when the brawl opens up (remember to turn off the ams or watch em real careful in the brawl).

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Alpha Strike'd all 12 lasers. Whoops.

Sorry! Fire the ersls first, then 2 volleys of the micro pulses - rinse repeat.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

peer posted:

I love ATMs. What's your favourite/best mechs for ATMs

don't tell me not to use them please!!!

There were some ATM effort posts a few weeks back in the thread. I think they were on page 60. Probably the most germane post:

Rysithusiku posted:

Okay, so ATMs (Advanced Tactical Missiles) are clan's answer to MRMs. They're meant to be used at a shorter range than lrms, but not point blank like srms.
Range brackets are as follows (can be extended with skill tree)
0-150m: 0 dmg.
150-270m: 3 dmg per missile.
270-550m: 2 dmg per missile.
550-1100m: 1 dmg per missile.
Upsides, ATMs have a low firing arc that allows you to arc them under cover, such as hpg basement or the parking garage on crimson strait. If you can stay in your optimal damage range they absolutely poo poo damage. Per ton they are incomparable. They track sharply too so they are much more useful for hitting faster mechs than lrms (especially since you're closer to begin with).
Downsides, they're still missiles. Proper cover use or just charging you makes them worthless. They have half the ammo-per-ton of lrms and only barely more than srms. If you ever fire them outside 500m you might as well just punch yourself in the dick at the same time. Did I mention theyre still missiles? AMS is a thing. Also damage spreading.

Overall, ATMs have a very hard niche and should never ever be carried without backup weapons. The MDD carries them pretty well. There are a few mediums that carry them well at the cost of longevity (not much ammo space). There are a couple of assaults that carry them decently due to their ability to have shitloads plus backup weapons. (Pray you never get caught at 200m by an atm48 heavy laser supernova).
If you're still a relatively new player, ATMs are a hard avoid. If you genuinely feel you're good enough AND you have a decent amount of missile experience already, they're interesting and worth trying out.

Hope this wall of text helps.

One build I've seen do well (having not played it myself) is something like this: SNV-A Remember to only fire the ATMs 24 at a time, but if you get this thing in the ATM money shot zone (120-270m, I think) you can probably one shot slow lights and mediums things by alpha-ing the ATMs. ATM48 = 144 damage at once.

I'll also quote myself with this:

Marathanes posted:

One way to get your feet wet with ATMs (and my preferred mech for them at the moment) is with the cougar. It can carry 2 ATM9s, a decent number of backup lasers, ecm, JJs, and an active probe; you have some flexibility if you want bigger backup weapons by sacrificing the JJs or probe, or you can swap in a light tag.

Standard cougar advice applies - stay with the pack, share your ecm, gather locks, and don't fire the atms until you're punching 54 damage a volley (or at least 36).

Herb suggested the SCR as a medium:

Herb Dington posted:

On the note of ATMs, one of the mechs I've had fun using them on is the SCR-D. This mech used to do great as an SRM bomber, or a light-killer with streaks. Not so much anymore, since it's hit-boxes always kinda sucked, and it's a bit of a glass cannon.

Where the speed and agility of the SCR still work is a skirmishing instead of brawling playstyle. Being able to reposition quickly with ATMs is great, and the Godhand of 6 c-ersl really does the trick, both for adding some pinpoint finishing damage at your missile optimal, and for legging lights that manage to underrun you.

Max firepower, cool run, and the rest to taste. I'm currently on max armour tree, with NARC nodes and no mobility, but speed tweak can be a good move too.

As for a heavy, several 'mechs can carry 2 ATM 12s and do well in that regard, NTG, TBR, MDD, etc. It kind of depends on what you're looking for out of the 'mech in question specifically.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I picked up a Night Gyr recently and have been working up its xp during this event. I like how you don't have to worry about what map you're on in regards to your heat efficiency (vote hot maps erryday). Been running this: NTG-PRIME

Works pretty good. Still have never gotten my Ace of Spades. :smith:

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Just got murdered by Beefy in QP. A+ would get murdered again. Did not expect to see you in an Assassin. I think I usually see you in assaults.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Space Monster posted:

I would play the poo poo out of a 24 player FFA.

24 player FFA, 4 mechs with tonnage limits, re-drops every 30 seconds. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
At least the ballistic mounts are good. I run that 'mech with 2 gauss rifles, ecm, and stealth armor and just try to be as annoying as possible. As noted, it is not a great mech, but you can get some mileage out of it with dual gauss or dual UAC-10 (not sure if UAC-10s would work with the stealth armor - I usually ran the UAC-10s without and with 2 MLs) in my experience.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 3, 2018