Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Waffle House posted:

There is no buy in except for pennies on the upload cost for models and textures, you just register an account and blender/GIMP are free software downloads

lmao I wonder if I can do the suits

please post more about your rad second life adventures. this is an unironic request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Muscle Wizard posted:

please post more about your rad second life adventures. this is an unironic request.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Yes, post all about your second Life safaris

Edit: has the w-hat emote really gone?

exmachina has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Jan 26, 2022

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slćgt skal fřlge slćgters gang

theyre absolutely not gonna let you put custom 3d models in the metaverse, that goes against the whole idea of it

do post more second life shenanigans tho

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Waffle House posted:

I cannot recommend enough that if Metaverses are starting to be in the news again, bored goons need to group up, get Blender and GIMP immediately installed, get a land parcel for goon sandboxing, and try just loving around making 3D content for fun. Punch some vertexes together, get the models seamed and unwrapped for texturing, and then post it up.

Could you provide a link with more information on this? What is the marketplace?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

holy poo poo lmao

If I manage to get things in the air again for goons, pnumoman, I want you on squad because you seem like a dude who can smoke a bubble pipe and while laser bombing an area wearing a jester hat and 3D glasses.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I've modeled the racist knuckles the echidna caricature

All the basic ingredients for content development are free downloads, including the avatar skeleton for rigging and animations. You just import it into Blender and can start loving with it. Second Life is suuuuuuper open and open source; get it exported to .dae/collada, you can upload it as a static object, but I recommend rigging it as a full avatar so you can go show people dee wae while you blast Scatman John from a boombox on your shoulder. poo poo I need to make a ghetto blaster

Carthag Tuek posted:

theyre absolutely not gonna let you put custom 3d models in the metaverse, that goes against the whole idea of it

do post more second life shenanigans tho

only facebook's team can get away with not having a marketplace at this point, and they may eventually succumb because it is such a smelly amount of cash to have your own currency market and be able to fully capitalize on its integration.

Femur posted:

Could you provide a link with more information on this? What is the marketplace?

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

There is a truly amazing amount of content for sale, and it's all built up over the course of several years. Linden Labs' CYA for adult stuff is that you create an account (which is free) so you can sign in and snicker at the dildos and genitals. I do not actually see Horizons going this way, because they have a different vector on scope, but try a few off the cuff searches and you'll see exactly what I mean by, "this is the superior solution." You have a decade+ of people pouring their fantasies, garbage, personal concepts, art, hopes, and dreams into a largely unfettered, extremely deep pool of creativity, and it titrates like a motherfucker. The social scene is basically show up to a mass hangout, look pretty, and talk, but obviously the more beautiful you present the more attention you receive.

Muscle Wizard posted:

Right on. Tales, first, and then I'm gonna start covering bases to address what I see as inertia buildup. Just remember, Second Life is basically the "best" we got in the category of Metaverses so far, so my advice and experience WILL apply to anywhere similar you log in to:

Inceltown was accidentally spot on, warped humor nets a theme like Sealab, then group mentality kicks in naturally on the lmao reflex, and before you know it we've rebuilt our parcel to thematically match. Clothes, kit, weapons, etc get dispensed for free to the group. I'm not in the money enough right now to really be funding a new goon episode, but if TSRhino already has a racist knuckles it's basically already a done deal. I really do miss signing in to the punkrock flophouse environment where music is blasting 24/7 and people are scripting, firing weapons, and bullshitting around socializing. The SomethingAwful Second Life group was where I first got into Industrial music when I was a teenager because someone was streaming Front Line Assembly on the parcel's radio and I was like drat this fuckin' slaaaaaaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGs6AZ-dr0g

The best stories are really just business success and trolling. For a while we had a giant dance floor that was inside goatman's anus. We built a giant mall inspired by the Darco Arcology from SimCity 2000 that we called the Arcolith. There was a scale model of the twin towers that you could click and a jet would fly into it. Noisebombing, particlefx moshes, and raves were our bread and butter when we weren't causing actual havoc, but the goon group got scattered to the winds after the grey goo banspree a decade ago, and I have no idea what the trolloscape looks like now. I just assume some new kids from reddit picked up the same mantle and started greasing their brains with seizure rainbows just like I did in the early 2000s.

There are several goons who have made fortunes selling things to people; one girl here got into selling an infinite variety of skins and makeup and as far as I know retired a long time ago. Another transgirl I know who likes heavy metal and speedcore started selling their custom furry dicks and avatars to people, and to this day still keeps a whole sim with an industrial apocalypse theme when they're not working their daytime programming job. You can easily carve out a market niche for yourself.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That out of the way...you guys actually made me want to be good host again. I have zero problem being the hammer wielder, and I will not be restraining goons nor will I be answering for their individual actions. Catching a ban or probe happens if you want to go pee on things, just reroll a free account. We will be building our infamy, and we *will* be being supervillains. Chaos and order both are embraceable in an environment where you are by design encouraged not to give a poo poo about reality, so the FYAD rule of relax and chill out stands extremely tall.

Human, dinosaur, robot, furry, arcane being (very popular, where the gently caress are Huns and Louisgod?), alien...it doesn't matter. If you want to show up naked as hell dressed as whatever, it will be well within allowance, and I will make sure we have an adult parcel so we do not catch flak. The only thing I discourage and will ban for is being unchill to your sisters bros and fellows. Everyone here is an adult, but for obvious reasons, do not harass women. Second Life's gender ratio is astoundingly comfortable, and women are uniquely fearless and prevalent on Second Life. It just is that chill of a place to hang out.

18+ 18+ addendum: The grid requires you be 18+, so I will get this out of the way for your entire life: If you do want to explore the adult content, which is a massive proportion of the grid's activity (and very trollable), make an alt for it that is not your main. Alts are free, and I assure you nobody cares, but it is better to compartmentalize it overall. Last time around there was a rule that no banging happens on-property, but my experience dictates, and I will be making it a personal point of duty to my goons that private rooms be available so you can get away from the group with no fear of interruption if you do actually hit a tender spot meeting someone, which happens all the time.

I am a very romantic scenery artist, and it will impress your date. If you then get into a more happy ending with someone, please consider getting your own place because it's baller to be dating easily and freely in a place where sex is incredibly casual.

The sex aspect is difficult to broach to the uninitiated, but it is one of the most important things for me to address despite it reading nontraditionally. Second Life has had two decades almost to be its own several cultural steps beyond earth's reality, and has fostered a completely different mindset over that time period. It is very free and liberated there, and people *act like it* as a norm.
18+

wew that was a loving wall of text

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Jan 26, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
This thread is becoming gross.

Grosser, I guess.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
:unsmigghh:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
um, ok

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

go back to posting incomprehensible screeds because that was way better than... whatever the gently caress this is

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

go back to posting incomprehensible screeds because that was way better than... whatever the gently caress this is

disregard this post and please post more

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

what is 'the grid'?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
the only good mmo was the sims online and they abandoned it decades ago

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Muscle Wizard posted:

what is 'the grid'?

A digital frontier.
I try to picture clusters of information as they move through the computer. I try to picture what they look like: ships, motorcyles, where the circuits are like freeways...

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I sincerely apologize if the 18+ MSDS handling brief made you queasy, but that is the best possible and most succinct, experienced disclaimer I can offer to avoid you catching instant bans in the course of going out and rolling deep trolling for the good of comedy. There is enough material in Second Life to make a billion Weekend Web episodes.

Ultimate comedy does come in the form of catching butt-rear end-naked, mid-coital kinskters in the act with goatse weapons, and you will have them foaming and shrieking at you until they can get an admin signed in to ban you.

Like lmao it owns but just be careful and chill, it is my best advice for effectively peaceful digital anarchy.

Muscle Wizard posted:

what is 'the grid'?

*gruff Jeff Bridges voice* THE GRID

Waffle House has issued a correction as of 01:08 on Jan 27, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

not gonna pretend i am not invested personally, because I was actually in irl kink scenes before covid but idk that just sounds like being an rear end in a top hat to me. Maybe it sometimes generates humor that's good on its own merit, maybe sometimes you out people who are human poo poo piles. Most of the time it's just a kind of mean disruption of other people's fun though. And that means it's just in bad taste to do imo

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

So uh, if any or all of you get freaky...

1. ffs don't talk about it here
2. if it results in drama, don't talk about the drama here
3. if it results in drama here, i will nuke this thread and anyone in it from orbit, just to be sure

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Riot Bimbo posted:

not gonna pretend i am not invested personally, because I was actually in irl kink scenes before covid but idk that just sounds like being an rear end in a top hat to me. Maybe it sometimes generates humor that's good on its own merit, maybe sometimes you out people who are human poo poo piles. Most of the time it's just a kind of mean disruption of other people's fun though. And that means it's just in bad taste to do imo

What I outline here in preparation should:

(1) be taken with a grain of salt with all due course for respecting people, obviously, and
(2) is specifically a worst-case, but rather common scenario in the sense of a lame work instruction video.

It's the best Staplefahrer Klaus best I can give. Tonight I might literally make SeaLab because that split my loving sides.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I would like to be put on record that I did not and do not intend to create a bigot video game character 3d model

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

I know it's the nature of this forum to see someone digging the beginnings of a hole and then encourage them to dig twice as fast in the name of entertainment, but it sucks to then complain about the size of it when it plummets down deeper than you ever expected.

To address this directly Waffle House I am glad you're having fun in the forever isolated social game genre, but it is (and will be for the next ten years minimum) an extremely awkward stand-in for doing fun things in reality. I'm glad it exists, I'm glad that people are having fun in it, and it does offer people who cannot otherwise interact socially an outlet at least but I'm afraid clipping vigorously through surfaces as a dead-eyed blow up doll lit by 2008 tier lighting is a fleeting high for most, no matter how many dildo generators you apply to the scene.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Super Foul Egg posted:

doing fun things in reality

I see you're not on speaking terms with reality. Looked outside recently?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Super Foul Egg posted:

I know it's the nature of this forum to see someone digging the beginnings of a hole and then encourage them to dig twice as fast in the name of entertainment, but it sucks to then complain about the size of it when it plummets down deeper than you ever expected.

To address this directly Waffle House I am glad you're having fun in the forever isolated social game genre, but it is (and will be for the next ten years minimum) an extremely awkward stand-in for doing fun things in reality. I'm glad it exists, I'm glad that people are having fun in it, and it does offer people who cannot otherwise interact socially an outlet at least but I'm afraid clipping vigorously through surfaces as a dead-eyed blow up doll lit by 2008 tier lighting is a fleeting high for most, no matter how many dildo generators you apply to the scene.

Maybe you just haven't found the right dildo generator.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Is this what it's like to read ready player one

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Super Foul Egg posted:

I literally can't read this post. It's incomprehensible.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Waffle House posted:

I literally can't read this post. It's incomprehensible.

It's genuinely the least connected to reality thing I've seen posted on these forums for a few years.

It'd have been at best disconnected to reality in the before times, now it's doubling down on the nonsense as the circumstances around us reveal how privileged the viewpoint always was.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

I see you're not on speaking terms with reality. Looked outside recently?

When you look outside you actually mean you sit on the internet acting as a panoptic sponge absorbing all of the world's issues. I don't mean that, I mean just existing in one place, at one time, that you have chosen, and like, where the rest of it doesn't matter for a brief moment. It's like social games but the faces move correctly.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Alright since I'm getting tag-teamed by The Two Most Normal Posters In This Thread And Forum I capitulate to the numbers game and will be bowing out here, godspeed and change the subject.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Super Foul Egg posted:

When you look outside you actually mean you sit on the internet acting as a panoptic sponge absorbing all of the world's issues. I don't mean that, I mean just existing in one place, at one time, that you have chosen, and like, where the rest of it doesn't matter for a brief moment. It's like social games but the faces move correctly.

Super Foul Egg posted:

Alright since I'm getting tag-teamed by The Two Most Normal Posters In This Thread And Forum I capitulate to the numbers game and will be bowing out here, godspeed and change the subject.

What.

Did you construct your worldview entirely from social media, tabloids, and sitcoms?

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Super Foul Egg posted:

i don't see whats wrong with wanting someone to tell me more about their weirdo lifestyle because its entertaining to me. your analogy doesn't work because you're implying that i'm cheering someone on when they're doing something illegal when in reality i just wanna read his post and noit yours.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Muscle Wizard posted:

i don't see whats wrong with wanting someone to tell me more about their weirdo lifestyle because its entertaining to me. your analogy doesn't work because you're implying that i'm cheering someone on when they're doing something illegal when in reality i just wanna read his post and noit yours.

I had to check to see if I'd accidentally quoted, but I didn't, so: There is nothing wrong with the thing you want, and the post wasn't about you.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I know it's in the nature of this forum that whenever someone is being weird, people come out of the woodworks to show off how normal they are, and end up being easily ten times as bizarre.

Even considering that, holy poo poo.

We're living in the 2020's, not a sitcom from the aughts. That "normal" world fell apart in 2015, irrevocably. Trump does not belong in that world. Trump belongs in the real world, with meth labs, opiate crisis, and ever fewer people capable of living that middle class lifestyle. I was poor and visibly disabled to begin with, my idea of doing fun things in reality is getting drunk watching birds.

This is an era where people are terrified of a deadly pandemic or plugging their ears and pretending it isn't happening. This is an era where the fastest growing ideology is give fascism a chance. This is an era where anyone who looks like they're keeping it together is a loving lunatic and everyone knows it.

The poo poo people do in Second Life is essentially what you'd expect to get in any era - people indulge their horniest whims because it's not like they have the resources to do anything better.

You can moralize about it all you want, but it's gonna be boring and incredibly weird given the zeitgeist.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Is another thread leaking in here?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Super Foul Egg posted:

you've done us a great service in saying something incredibly dumb and getting dunked on for it.

if you can't tell the difference between your own opinion and objective facts, here's a hint: the "reality" you speak of does not exist... all of your perceptions combine to create an illusion of ["the way the world is"] based on your continuous reinterpretation of the narrative of your cumulative personal experiences, and most of that reality is just your brain guessing to fill in missing information when it isn't outright lying to you.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Azathoth posted:

So uh, if any or all of you get freaky...

thanking god i'm involuntarily celibate or i'd be the first against the wall with this low-key sex-negative revolution

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Super Foul Egg posted:

:nsa:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

thanking god i'm involuntarily celibate or i'd be the first against the wall with this low-key sex-negative revolution

Hey, not saying don't get freaky, that's a valid choice and I'm not gonna look down on how anyone deals with our current hellscape.

Just don't track any of that poo poo back here, it only breeds weird drama and that never goes well for anyone.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
This thread has had a long life. Time to die.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

tokin opposition posted:

Metaverse is enclosing the commons of the internet, not just from what (virtual) free space remains in sex perverts yiffing but also from other companies who may want to make their own VR company towns.

yah web2 was about the for real enclosure of the internet commons, which coincided with the end of the post-war “free real estate” model that ended in 2008. web3 is capitalism desperately trying to open a new commons to enclose as it chokes on the accumulated externalities of global climate change.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

tokin opposition posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

tokin opposition posted: