Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

A Chapel Outside Opelousas, Present Day
From the outside, Keller's Chapel doesn't look like much. It's a small, rundown church built some one hundred odd years ago that sits right outside of Opelousas city limits on an acre of unincorporated land. Local legend states it was shut down in the 1940's due to Satanic rituals that resulted in the death of a child, and that the doors have been chained and barred ever since for it. Behind the chapel is a tiny, unkept graveyard, where most of the graves have been overgrown and the few paltry headstones have been cracked and weathered over the decades.

Thanks to all of this, the chapel has been one of the major youth 'dare' spots, where teenagers and the like trespass on the property at night to prove their bravery. Over the past year, every teenager who has done so has fled, giving the story that the doors had slammed open and that the very fires of hell itself burned within the chapel, silhouetting a monstrous figure standing in the doorway.

But the chapel seems much less indimidating during the day..

The Brass Rail, Three Days Ago
The murders in Opelousas had caught your eye, for one reason or another. Everything you had heard about it made something in you pay attention and say to you, 'That's something supernatural.'

So you had reached out to someone you knew, someone you trusted. You knew, either from expeirence, common sense, a hunch, or just whatever that there was no way you could tackle something supernatural on your own. You were headed to Opelousas one way or another, but you wanted to be sure there'd be someone there to have your back. You were assured there would be.

Five others met you, each with their own skills and their own reasons to be here. They all knew about the supernatural, and they all wanted a stake in fighting it. The Brass Rail was loud enough that the six of you could huddle around a table to discuss what was happening. Putting your heads together, you came up with a plan of action, a way to investigate what was going on. After an hour and a half of getting to know each other and planning, you set out.

Two days later, you met up again. A ghost story and a pattern had been found; there was a lovely little church on the outskirts of town that had been abandoned for decades. Digging into the murders, someone had found a very stupid and very obvious pattern: every murder had occured within a five mile spiral of the church. Whoever, or whatever, was killing people wasn't straying too far from its little base.

The group agreed to meet up the next day and head to the chapel during the day to check things out. It was also agreed no one was to come unarmed; there was no telling what they might find.

Keller's Chapel, Present Day
The six hunters stand at the head of the driveway heading up to the chapel. All is quiet this far out of town; no cars whiz by on the little country road that brought you here, and there has been plenty of bushes to park the vehicle(s) in to hide them from prying eyes on the road.

Something about the silence is uncomfortable. A gentle breeze blows, and with it comes the smell of age and decay, and something else that bothers Bea more than anyone else. It's time to plan, and it's time to act.

Welcome to the game, guys! Please post or link to your sheets in your first post. You guys have already met about three days ago, and I'm assuming you got your impressions over the course of your off-screen investigation. Feel free to expound on what you did for the investigation.

You guys are currently unaware of what sort of beast, if any, you might be facing up ahead. You know that the murders only happened at night, and there has been no direct link to the chapel beyond the fact it's in the center of the murders, so if nothing else this is more of a launching off point. You did come armed and prepared to kill SOMETHING, at least, so feel free to hash that out as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice Patterson

At the Brass Rail
Bea didn't leave when the others did, preferring to stick around and talk to the locals. She sat down at one of the smaller, two-person tables and sipped at her sweet tea, letting herself zone out. Her chair had one short leg, and she rocked it back and forth, a slow, steady rhythm. Thunk, sip. Thunk, sip. Opelousas was a little bitty city, but it was a city, not a one stoplight town like most of the ones she'd driven through to get down here. Thunk, sip. People seemed about as friendly as they always did to a pretty little white girl come in out of town. Thunk, sip. She glanced down at the tattoo of a compass on the inside of her left arm. She felt sleepy and full, after all those chicken wings from earlier, and when she was sleepy and full and in a new place... well... it was almost like she could see the needle moving...

quote:

"A child saw the beast at the whims of his colleagues, but fear tightened his lips."

It wasn't quite a voice, more of a feeling, but when Bea looked up there was a group of teenagers at the lone arcade cabinet along the back wall. They didn't stay long, mostly just killing time waiting for their take-out, but one of them was lagging behind the others.

"Hey," Bea said, cornering him before he could go with them. She knew she only had a few seconds, but that was fine. "What's your name?"

"Uh, Kit?" said the kid.

"Hi Kit, I'm Bea." She smiled, disarming, he smiled back, unsure of himself. "I'm looking into ghost stories and weird folktales for a book on Louisiana, you know like those "Weird State" books?" He nodded, everyone knew about those. "So, you know that old church outside of town? I heard it's a pretty popular place, wanted to know if you've been there. Firsthand sources you know? Makes the book way better."

Kit looked nervous, but when he saw the others were all gone, he nodded. "Yeah, I've been there. There's... Look it was dark so I'm not sure what I saw, okay? But it was like, a big guy. Real big, like Jason from the movies. He walked right past me when I was in the graveyard."

"Just a big guy?" Bea pressed, giving him a disappointed face.

"See, this is why I didn't tell anybody! He came out of the church but like, it's all locked up! And when he went by it wasn't just a guy. I don't know."

"Well, that's still very helpful," Bea said, letting him off easy. "Thanks Kit."

The other teenagers were yelling for him by now and she let him go with them with a friendly wave, then refilled her tea and headed for her car.

----

At the church

Bea showed up with whoever wanted a ride to the church right on time. She had her 9mm in a shoulder holster but she really wasn't too confident about using it. Good think Coralee and Jackson were there, really. This was way more their thing. She was a little sad she hadn't found much else about the church from the locals. They treated it as kind of a joke, if they knew about it at all, and really, finding out about people was more her gig than finding out about places... Still she'd shared what she'd heard from Kit, and now that they were here she headed straight to the graveyard to find the spot he'd been hiding.

She was sure she'd find something if she looked hard enough...

----

Rolls for this post:
Brother Road, (Wits+Investigation) 3 sux
Eye for the Strange (Intelligence + Composure) 2 sux

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Dr. Olivia Tynes, PhD

At the Brass Rail

I haven’t been in a place like this since undergrad.

Olivia’s whole presence there felt a little odd, like she wanted to be both right here and somewhere very, very quiet. Her only suggestion during the meeting was that someone should look into the past of the place, beyond just the papers. She then volunteered to do that, to the surprise of no one.

She tried her hardest to be the first one out of there on both visits.

At the library, between meetings

Olivia was more comfortable here, with a pile of books, some old newspapers and a variety of information she could ask for at Town Hall. Now, she just needed to put the pieces together in a short enough summary that she wouldn’t have to try to show a powerpoint or drag the entire group here just to show them something they’d likely assume was her having a breakdown.

As time passed, the books were organized, then reorganized, notes being taken and scribbled out as needed. She wanted to be prepared for whatever this was, and she wouldn’t accept anything other than her best. Unfortunately, she quickly found out without a mythos or legend to directly compare this to, all this was would be preparing for possible problems.

Keller’s Chapel

Olivia seemed like she was dressed more for a short hike into the wilderness rather than any sort of hunt. At least she brought decent footwear for running. She brought only two things to the meeting with her, three if you count her car.
A notebook with extra pages sticking out the side of it and a relatively new looking 9mm handgun in a holster on her side. Given how it’s currently completely secure, you’re sure she’s even got a permit for the weapon.

With Bea giving her description of what the person saw, Olivia pulls out a pen and scratches a few things off of her list of possibilities. “I guess that means it’s likely not a Cauchemar, then. Or any angry ghost nuns.” She speaks with a dryness that could indicate sarcasm or stating things matter-of-factly.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

The Brass Rail

Hunter spent the meeting nursing two light beers, smiling affably and socializing with the others, and lying his goddamn head off about every detail of his life. What's the Lucifuge? Oh, just a group that hunts demons and other supernatural critters, nothing too special about them.. I'm just a regular mechanic who saw some strange stuff and decided to do something about it. Can't imagine what they saw in me, ha-ha-ha. So, let's talk about this church.

Yes indeed, the full "how do you do, fellow normal humans" conversation. By the time he got back into his pickup trick he was feeling nauseous and vaguely dirty, and it had nothing to do with the beer. Mike, sitting in the bed of the truck, locked eyes with him in the mirror. The dog said nothing and laid back down. Sometimes silence was a better form of torment than speaking. But what choice did he have but to lie, really? You couldn't just walk into a room full of people who hunted the supernatural and tell them you were supernatural,or at least adjacent to it. The best option was... well, it was to conceal the source of your powers until they consider you a close friend and faithful ally, and then use their conflicted feelings toward you to avoid any kind of consequences for your true nature. It made him feel even more ill to manipulate people this way. The Lucifuge insisted that steeping yourself in necessary evils was necessary to make best use of your powers in the fight against true evil, but it didn't make him feel any better about this.

The Church

Hunter pulls up to the church slowly, with Mike now riding in the passenger seat. Mike visibly relaxes as they get closer. "Thoroughly and completely defiled, Hunter. Not holy ground anymore. Which means I can accompany you... which means that my life will also be at risk. Damnation. Perhaps I should've lied..."

Hunter just scratches the dog behind his ears and ignores his complaining, satisfied that his fire-breathing hellhound will be on hand if this poo poo goes completely sideways. Not that he expected it to, but it never hurt to be prepared. That's why he'd brought his dad's old Ruger Redhawk. His old man insisted he'd once brought down a bear with it. There was no proof, but the time he'd spent with it on the shooting range had given him the impression that the gun could down a bear, even if it hadn't. He checks it one last time, then hops out of the truck with Mike right behind him.

Once he greets the others, he puts his hands on his hips and surveys the building, squinting in the midday sun. "Huh. Not the spookiest place I've poked around in, but it's up there. Tell you what, me and Mike'll go check out that little graveyard for a second. Not that I'm expecting an open portal to hell or nothin', but we'd feel kinda silly if there was and we spent hours ignoring it." He starts heading for the rear of the building.

Hunter Perception (Wits+Composure): 4d10o10h8 0

Mike Perception (Wits+Composure): 5d10o10h8 3

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 18, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
As Hunter treks towards the graveyard with Mike at his heels, giving the church a wide berth, Bea turns her supernatural sense towards the church itself. The area seems far too calm and far too quiet, almost unnaturally so. She notices that, moreso than anywhere else, there seems to be no bird song or even a glimpse of animal life near the church. Birds flying overhead seem to be changing course to avoid the church and the grounds around it, which is incredibly strange. Looking at the church makes the skin crawl.

Circling around the back of the church, the mechanic and his mutt spread out to give the graveyard a better looking over. Hunter stays at least where the others can see him, in case he is attacked, while Mike moves closer to the church. The grave markers back here are worn horribly by the years, with many completely illegible. Hunter sees dates going as far back as the 1700's, when the town was originally founded, but beyond that his little search bears no fruit. There's no sign of any hell portals or anything obviously supernatural back in the graveyard.

Mike, however, spots something that intrigues him. He turns his head to call out to Hunter that he has found something interesting, pointing towards the back wall of the church. There, about two feet across, a strange symbol has been painted across the back wall of the church in mud. It is a triangle, overlaid atop a circle overlaid atop of a square, with a solid black dot in the center. Mike hasn't seen such a mark before in his existence, at least as far as he can recall, but the markings are fresh, with the mud still wet and oozing, and that is certainly a sign for alarm.

Whoever made the markings may possibly still be nearby.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Unconsciously, Hunter removes the strap holding his gun in the holster. That symbol was not giving him a good feeling on its own, and it was even worse that it was fresh. He leans around the side of the church and waves to get the others' attention, then cups his hands around his mouth to yell.

"Hey, doc! You might want to see this! There's some kinda weird symbol back here, and it's freshly painted!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Coralee Hardy

Coralee perks up as she hears Hunter's shout from around back. She quickly finishes her delicious, delicious tacos and stuffs the garbage into the bag. Hefting her beefy hunting rifle, lovingly notched on the stock for each vamp defanged, the sorority girl makes her way to the church door. The Benelli R1 had been a gift from her pops when she got that full ride to UoL. She'd just... used it for vamp hunting instead. At least it was getting used, yeah? In any case, it seemed like Hunter had an angle on some clues in the graveyard, but as far as she could tell, she'd be the first to investigate the church proper. She says to her professor as she passes, "Heya Dr. Tynes! I'm gonna take a quick peek inside. Holler if ya need me out here!"

Putting her hands on the doors, she slowly pushes them open and lets her senses take in the inside of the dilapidated church.

Perception Check (Wits+Composure): 5d10o10h8 1

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice Patterson

"Symbols? What symbols?" Bea was just a few graves away and ran over to stare at them immediately. They didn't mean anything at all to her but she pulled out her phone and took a picture of the muddy triangle. One thing Bea had learned pretty quickly on the road was that Aliens LOVED symbolism. Crop circles, weird patterns, and some of them seemed really into religious iconography. Which made her think that the History Channel totally had it right with that whole 'pyramids were built by aliens' thing.

"Huh." She gave Mike a pat. Mike was the least pettable lab she'd ever met but it still felt wrong NOT to. "Well at least it's not blood this time."

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Gabriel Landry

Gabriel hurriedly wolfed down the last of his lunch as the others set off without him. "Hey, wait- ah poo poo, got salsa all down my fuckin' shirt," he cries through a mouthful of taco, as he hefts a camera bag over his shoulder. Grasping a well-worn prybar in one hand, he jogs after Coralee as she enters the church. "Wait up, yo! Don't be wanderin' into strange buildings by yo'self."

Perception (Wits+Composure): 6d10o9h8 1

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Dr. Olivia Tynes, PhD

Olivia sighs while Coralee and Gabriel head through the front door of the church while Hunter is shouting loudly about freshly painted symbols. "Coralee, be careful!"

She walks out behind the church to where Hunter and Beatrice are looking at this newly painted symbol. "Give me a second, here, and.. why would you take pictures of an unidentified paranormal symbol? There's a non-zero chance for some sort of system transfer to occur, allowing..."

She trails off, looking the symbol over more carefully, stepping closer to it. "Alchemical symbology..Strange.."

What Does This Symbol Mean? (Int+Academics): 7d10o10h8 2

Who uses this symbol? (Int+Occult): 6d10o10h8 5

"Oh. Oh, hell." She turns towards Bea and Hunter, then back towards the symbol. "Not many supernaturals would use things like this, usually having something to do with alchemy, the traditional magical art of changing substances into other substances. It's used by magicians, the supernatural kind, and golems. Neither is very good, but magicians don't generally murder random humans near their domains."

She lets out a sigh. "Golems, however, are a completely different story. They're similar to machines with a purpose. They're.. not to be messed with."

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 20, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Inside Keller's Chapel
Jackson follows in behind Gabriel and Coralee, carefully pushing open the doors to the church. The interior is dark and smoky, and the smell of burnt wood fills the air. A stone basin, once used to hold holy water, lies toppled not far from the entrance to the church, and the bare cobblestones leading to where the altar once stood is flanked by rows of demolished pews. The embers of a fire are scattered on the lifted stage where the altar was, and several pieces of camping equipment are scattered around the fire. A generator idles alongside the fire, as well, powering a small lamp sitting atop a small stack of books.

Light filters in through the stained windows in dirty patches, and it doesn't take long for the trio's eyes to adjust to the dimness of the church. At the front of the sanctuary, near the little campsite, a door leading further into the church stands ajar. Neither Coralee nor Gabriel see anything of interest amongst the first few rows of the destroyed pews, but there is a dreadful sense of being watched that wasn't felt outside. There is no smell of decay inside the church, only wood smoke and a hint of something savory.

Outside Keller's Chapel
The symbol continues to ooze and drip as it dries, but Olivia's analysis is spot on. She knows the symbol to be an alteration of the mark of the Philosopher's Stone, the ultimate goal of alchemical lore; it is said that the substance was capable of miraculous acts of healing and conferring immortality to its wielder. It signified perfection at its finest, a total enlightenment of mind and body, and the symbol itself was a perfect balance of the four core elemental symbols. It's no question as to how it may be associated with the ones she calls 'golems', but the significance of it being painted upon the wall here or the modification is certainly lost to her.

Bea's photograph mercifully does nothing to her or her phone, and Mike simply suffers the petting, casting Hunter a side eye. If the demonic familiar has caught wind of anything beyond the symbol, he certainly hasn't shared it with Hunter. A glance out towards the forest beyond the graveyard shows only stillness, and the air is much less oppressive out back than it was at the front of the church. There is almost a serenity back here, through the unnatural silence and stillness that surrounds the church.

About a dozen feet away from the mud painted symbol is another door into the church, next to which sits a garbage can. Oddly enough, two 12-packs of some store brand soda sit near the door, as well as a variety of cans of what looks like store brand soups and pasta and other non-perishables.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 21, 2018

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Hunter nods along as Dr. Tynes talks, trying to look like he totally knows what she's talking about.

"Huh. Sounds like bad news. Guess this gun won't cut it against a gol--wait..."

The food and drink scattered around the back door catch Hunter's eye and he wanders over to them cautiously. He picks up one of the cans and reads the label, then turns around and smirks.

"You said golems are machines, right? Well, unless they're the kind of machine with a sweet tooth and a taste for Dinty Moore beef stew, I'm not so sure it ain't a magician. Is this open?"

Hunter reaches out and gives the doorknob a turn; if it's open, he'll crack it open and yell to the folks inside the church that he's coming in. Getting mowed down by the other half of the group would be a pretty stupid way to go.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice Patterson

"Well we know it's not the teenagers or it'd be cheap beer instead," Bea said with a smirk. She had an entire photo directory full of weird occult symbols and so far the phone hadn't been possessed so she wasn't too worried about it even if the Doctor said so. Didn't hurt to be careful, but not documenting what they found was also dangerous. She was trying to put together a database, something she could share with Gabriel, but she didn't think she had enough data yet.

The can merited a quick look, more than Hunter had given it, so she tipped it over and dumped the contents. No point getting her hands dirty unless there was something worth picking up.

Rolls:
Wits/Investigate garbage bin: 1sux

Dyne posted:

The first thing Bea notices is that the trash can is very bottom heavy, and tipping it out causes a car battery to just crunch down on top of all over the other trash. Something glass in the trash breaks when the car battery slides out, but most of the trash from a cursory glance is empty cans of food, most of which have been crushed down to save space; the few that aren't look like they had their tops just ripped off rather than cut off.

"Hm," Bea said, nudging the battery over with her foot. It looked new, which was odd. Car batteries weren't cheap, unlike all this buy one get five free canned crap. "Um, Doc? Would a golem need a battery?"

mistaya fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 24, 2018

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Dr. Olivia Tynes, PhD

"Who knows how a golem keeps moving forward. Also, it could be protecting someone, it could have a caretaker of the non-magic kind. Unlike a lot of things, the only real common thread has been that they have a purpose that they always strive for. Whether that purpose is imprinted on them by another or truly understood depends on the story." Olivia watches as Bea tips over the entire trash can, trying to avoid looking too deeply into them.

"I've seen grad students live on this kind of diet. But if you could control the very fabric of reality, I'd imagine you could do better than this. What if golems need to have a caloric intake, just like humans? These are definitely.. calorie-rich foods. At this point, I'm just hypothesizing. I've got your back, Hunter. Do we know where this leads, exactly?" She takes a few steps towards him, stopping when she processes Bea's question.

"Oh. Well, a battery could fulfill the same idea. I'll be honest, without some specialized research on modern golems, I can only make educated guesses. But, we do happen to be right near a mechanic. Might be able to figure out the state of the battery, what kind of car it could belong to, something like that."

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 24, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy

Coralee looks around the church as the group enters. She immediately sets eyes on the campsite, saying, "Well now, I figure that ain't as old as the church. I'm gonna take a closer look and see what our mystery pal has been up to."

Moving over to the campsite, she takes a quick look at the books, but... ugh. Do you think that it's possible for a person to die of too much reading? Dr. Tyne seemed determined to find out, much to Coralee's dismay. She scuffed around the embers a bit, but nothing seemed to stand out. Of course, there was always the next creepy door to kick open...

Investigate the campsite (Wits+Investigate): 3d10o10h8 0
Wits+Survival to check the age of the embers: 1d10o10h8 2

quote:

Dyne - Today at 9:58 PM
the embers are incredibly fresh and it's likely it died out within the past hour; it doesn't look like it was doused, just.. burned down

Tricky fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 24, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gabriel Landry

"Someone squattin' here?" Landry asks the empty church. "A six-pack says some kids' imaginations goin' cray after seein' some bum is what's behind this."

Following Coralee to the altar, Gabriel skirts around the camp and heads for the next door.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Church interior
Having poked through the camp as sufficiently as they care to, the Coralee, Jackson, and Gabe press on, cautiously opening the door into the room beyond. It is even darker in here, with fewer windows letting in the sunlight from outside. With the aide of the lamp by the camp behind them, they see a short corridor flanked by four doors, ending in yet another door. Before they can step inside, they hear the voice of Hunter calling out that he's coming in, and after a moment, sunlight fills the corridor as the back door is opened, momentarily ruining their vision.

Church Exterior
Hunter opens the door and looks down the corridor, seeing the other three hunters squinting against the bright light of the sun. Spaced along the corridor they're in are four doors, and thanks to the sunlight and the fact his eyes weren't adjusted to darkness, he can see the doors closest to the back of the church are a library and a restroom. Further down the hall, closer to Coralee and the others, Hunter can make out what looks like glass on one of the doors, as well as lettering that has been applied to the door; likely an office of some sort. The other door he can't really see well enough, and it doesn't really seem to have any sort of marker on it.

Before going further in, Hunter takes a glance at the battery the other two had found. He's a bit surprised to see that it's actually a deep cycle battery, and a fairly high end one, at that; the brand name is familiar, and one he personally associates with quality. The battery is intended to run at a consistent power level for a long period of time, rather than give short bursts, and this one is a gel cell, meant to hold a charge longer. It's a purchase that would cost almost two hundred bucks, and the only people he knows of that would need a deep cycle gel cell are people who do sound system competitions and people who own jet skis.

Stranger still is the fact the batteries are intended to be fully discharged and recharged hundreds of times, so tossing one out is a sheer sign of stupidity. It's not likely that a battery that looks so new could have been discharged past its limits.

Off in the distance, at the far end of graveyard, Bea thinks she sees a sudden blur of movement. Could someone be out there in the graveyard after all?

Church Interior
With the sunlight making it easier to see (after he blinks the blindness away,) Gabe is able to somewhat see through the translucent glass of the office to his left. The room is incredibly dark, but he can make out what he believes to be a desk at the far side of the room, with what could be other pieces of office furniture in the room as well. Without turning a source of light in there, however, he can't be sure. Nothing seems to be moving in there, at least.

Coralee notices the unadorned door across from the office is slightly ajar. She thinks she hears something very faint from beyond the door, possibly breathing, a fact that makes the hair on the back of her neck stand on end; it's hard to tell for sure, however, with the sound of the generator in the sanctuary giving a steady stream of white noise.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

"drat, that's a real nice battery. I'mma grab that on the way out, if it still works it'll be worth something. Can't imagine how whoever's in there got their hands on one, least of all without understanding that it's not something you just throw away when it goes dead. Well, c'mon Mikey boy, let's go check that library."

Hunter starts to stroll obliviously into the church and towards the library door, presently unaware of any distant movement or stealthy breathing.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice Patterson

"Hey wait a second, Hunter, I saw someone..." Bea pointed out to the edge of the graveyard. "Come with me?"

It wasn't like she was scared, she just had a realistic view of what she was capable of. It probably wasn't the golem, at least. Still... There wasn't much time to waste so she started jogging out, trusting that Hunter would follow her.

"Hello?" She cupped her hands and called out. "Who's over there? I saw you, come on out!"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy

Coralee motions to get Gabe and Jackson's attention then gestures at the ajar door. She hefts her rifle and gently pokes the door open, ready to rumble if there's someone — or something — on the other end.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Hunter whirls on his heel. Mike grunts in disapproval as he bumps into Hunter's legs.

"Shoot, really? Be right there."

Hunter jogs back out the door and follows Bea. Mike follows close behind, muttering infernal oaths about Hunter's indecisiveness.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gabriel Landry

Gabe immediately knows that Coralee is getting ready for something serious to go down. Carefully, he slips his bag off and sets it down, then makes his way across the church to stand a few feet behind the vampire hunter, gripping his prybar like a baseball bat.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Jackson Waters

Jackson gimraces and raises up an arm to cover his eyes as the sudden bright burst of sunlight hits him. He moves back to cover Coralee as she opens the door, fists riased and at the ready.
"Goddamn monsters have to make their home inna house of God? gently caress sacrilege, what that is."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Hunter props the door open with the battery before he and Bea skulk towards the forest line, making sure the people inside aren't suddenly nightblind thanks to the sunlight coming and going so quickly. Olivia stays near the sigil, keeping her eyes on the horizon as well, in case she sees something the other two don't. The duo keeps to the larger grave markers and memorials, keeping their profiles obscured. Mike, meanwhile, trots on ahead, and suddenly freezes in place, growling.

Bea can't see what has set the dog off, but something in the underbrush startles at the sound of the growling demon-dog, and they hear a faint "poo poo!" as someone stumbles back into hiding. Mike looks back towards Hunter, communicating with him telepathically, letting him know that whoever or whatever it is, it smells human.

Corlaee nudges the door open with her rifle, stepping back half a step as it creaks open. Gabe tightens his grip on his crowbar, his knuckles turning white, and Jackson grits his teeth, ready for anything.

For a moment, there is nothing, but the breathing sound gets heavier and faster; as their eyes adjust to the darkness of the supply closet, they finally make out the shape of a figure on the ground. It is a young woman, her hands bound behind her back and her feet tied together, with a burlap sack pulled over her head, which she has lifted from the ground and turned towards the door in panic.

As this registers, the silence is broken by the sound of the toilet flushing, deep grunting, and after a moment, the sound of water being turned on. The trio share a glance; there is definitely something else here in the church, and it seems to have a hostage.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 4, 2018

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Jackson Waters

Jackon's grimace deepends considerably and his entire face darkens, hands squeezed in fists so tight his knuckles have gone white.

"God all mighty... Coralee, Gabe. Cover me while I go get the girl out of here. Anything comes at me, shoot that gently caress in the face."

Jackson then creeps forwards into the room, reaching down to touch the bound woman on the shoulders.

"Hey there darling, we're gonna get you outta here, but I need you to be quiet for just a little bit. Can ya do that for me?"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Hunter walks up next to Mike and makes of show of bringing the dog to heel for whoever's hiding. "Hey now, easy boy! Heel!" He crouches down and lowers his voice to speak to Mike only. "Try to circle around 'em, flush 'em out towards us."

He stands up again and starts slowly walking towards where the person in hiding, hand hovering in the area of his gun without actually touching it. "Why don't you come on out? We ain't gonna hurt you if you ain't gonna hurt us. We just wanna know what you're doing traipsing around behind a graveyard."

Mike steps directly onto a stick somewhere off to the left. Hunter curses internally.

Come Out, Come Out, Whoever You Are (Presence+Persuasion): 0

Sneaky Dog (Dex+Stealth): 0

welp, unless we get positive modifiers to one/both of those tests, that's a bust.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
For whatever reason, be it his inflection or the fact his dog is obviously stalking forward while growling, Hunter's words don't hold much weight. "poo poo!" Bea is able to see someone in a yellow hoodie sprinting through the woods towards the road, and watches as the poor schmuck glances towards her and misses the oncoming branch that they promptly eat; the being out in the woods tilts back and falls flat on their back, taken out by the foliage. Mike perks up, his nose in the air, and barks; he smells the blood of a human for sure now.

Inside the church, Gabe moves quickly to tuck himself into the corner beside the bathroom, his prybar in hand; Jackson kneels down, tugging at the bindings on the woman's wrists, but the rope is sturdy and the knot is more complicated than he expected; it will take some time to untie her without slicing through the ropes. Coralee takes a step back, raising her rifle at the ready to cover both Gabe and Jackson.

It seems like forever before the water turns off, and someone in the bathroom chuckles. The door swings inward, and an incredibly large man ducks his head as he comes out of the bathroom. He stands at least 6'6", broad at the shoulder and hip, wearing a wife-beater and jeans with a hole at the knee; he is muscular and tan, with long, greasy hair, and Cora notices immediately that his eyes are of two different colors. He squints at the light from the outside, looking obviously confused as he looks towards the door, and he unfortunately notices Gabe standing in the corner with a crowbar in his hands.

"Who the hell?" His voice is gravelly, and he reaches to his throat and yanks at a cord, a pair of earbuds popping out of his ears; from where he stands, Gabe can hear the comedy bit the man was listening to. The giant clenches his fists, leaning towards Gabe aggressively; he seems completely unaware of Coralee at the moment, and his eyes likely haven't adjusted enough for him to really see everything going on outside.

"What the gently caress are you doing here?!"

Gabe Dex+Stealth (2 Dex -1 Stealth Untrained): 1d10o10h8 1
Santana Perception (Wits+Composure): 6d10o10h8 2

Santana rolled 6 dice and got two explosions but still only JUST beat the guy rolling one die. Nice.

Olivia and Jackson are both aware of Santana, due to their proximity and the fact he's speaking pretty loudly.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 7, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy

The mental calculus clicked through Coralee's head: giant, angry, hostage, weird eyes, and... probably not a vampire. Still, whatever he was, she wasn't about to lose anyone else on a hunt. The distractions in the environment seemed to fade away. It was just her and the target. She leveled the rifle with the giant man, let out a slow, hissing breath, and when her shot was good... a sharp report echoed through the dilapidated church.

Shootin' a man! (Dex+Firearms+Specialty+Willpower): 9d10o9h8 3

At 5 Willpower now. Adding in the 4 damage from the Rifle, that's 7 damage.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Beatrice Patterson

"Wait! There's a-" (thunk) "-tree..." Bea called out, rather too late to do any good. She facepalmed with one hand and ran towards the guy. It might just be another teenager doing something stupid, but she couldn't picture any kind of monster wearing bright yellow and slamming into trees so it seemed safe enough to approach.

"Are you okay?" She asked, pulling him up into a sitting position. "I'm Bea, and don't worry about Mikey, he wouldn't hurt a squirrel. We're just looking into some of the rumors about the old church, for a book about weird stuff in Louisiana."

She might as well have been talking to the tree, though. He was unconscious. "Well poo poo." She turned to give Hunter a dirty look, when a shot rang out from inside the church. "Well poo poo," she repeated. "Hunter, we gotta get back there. Grab his legs, we'll lock him in the trunk of my car."

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
The report of Coralee's rifle echoes throughout the church, deafening those within; the massive man almost starts to turn at the sound, before the rifle slug strikes the side of his head and tears away the skull there. He staggers half a step, convulsing slightly, before giving an unearthly roar of pain and frustration. Gabe is the first to notice the man's transformation, but he turns swiftly on Coralee, making it evident to her as well.

Electricity licks across the surface of the man's skin, which is now in multi-colored patches that have been stitched together. Two metal bolts stick out from his shoulder, arcing electricity as his greasy hair begins to flail in the air behind him. His muscles ripple under the patchwork skin, and it is obvious that more muscle than would be normal has been shoved under his skin. His eyes blaze with an inner fire, and the behemoth takes a step forward, clenching a fist tight enough for the knuckle bones to punch through the flesh and raising it above his head.

With titanic strength, the monster slams his fist into the pavement of the church, driving his fist wrist deep into the ground. The earth trembles at the strike, and before long the church itself begins to shake violently, dust falling from the rafters and items inside Jackson's closet falling to the ground. It doesn't take long for the church itself to begin cracking and leaning from the earthquake caused by the strike, and those in and nearest the church find it hard to keep their balance. The monster stands, his fist bloodied and the skin stripped, but all in all he seems to not care. He stares defiantly at Coralee, his hideous face twisted with a furious pride.

Santana spends 10 Promethean Power to use the Earthquake dread power, since he is at 5 health remaining after Coralee's shot. Everyone but Bea, Hunter, Santana, and Mike suffer the Earthquake tilt. Dexterity is at a -3 penalty, and you will suffer 3 lethal damage per round while in the area of effect, which is going to be about up to where your cars are to about the middle of the graveyard. After 3 turns the church will collapse.

Stamina+Athletics will downgrade the damage to bashing each turn. The earthquake will last for 5 turns.

Santana Earthquake (Str+Occult+Earthquake): 8d10o9h8 5

e: For movement purposes, the earthquake spreads out at 45m. After 15m, the severity drops to -1 dex and 1 lethal per round.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 8, 2018

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Dr. Olivia Tynes, PhD

Olivia hears the crack of the gun, then feels the sudden earthquake underneath her. Oh, hell, they shot the golem.. She keeps the door open on her side, shouting to anyone who might hear her. "Ruuun!"

She stumbles to her feet, barely keeping them as she sprints towards Bea, Hunter and Mike. She's trying very hard not to think about anything but running, as much as the sudden terror of immiment death should be taking over for the fact that she's only heard the golem, not actually seen it. Him?

Not Dying From Earthquakes: 4d10o10h8 1
Taking 3 bashing, 3(b)/7

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy

The calculus continued: sparky, mean as hell, and some sort of earthquake-causing motherfucker... very, very likely not to be a vampire. At least no kind of vampire she'd ever seen. Still... half-remembered earthquake drills from school days war with an overwhelming urge to get the hell out of dodge and the latter wins. Easily. Using the skills she'd honed on the track team, Coralee does everything in her power to get as much distance between the freaky half-dead earthquake guy and herself as possible.

She shouts, as she herself books it for the exit, "Run for it!"

Not die to an earthquake (stamina+athletics): 5d10o9h8 2

Taking three bashing damage and making it out of the epicenter (18m from a double-move).

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 9, 2018

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Gabriel Landry

Gabriel picks himself up from the floor and scrambles out from the corner, taking advantage of the monster being distracted by Coralee. "What the gently caress is that!?" he cries as he stumbles toward the church doors, hot on the heels of Coralee. Whatever just happened, he knew she had the right idea.

Stamina + Athletics: 4d10o10h8 2. That's three bashing damage.

Double move is 18 yards/16m.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Hunter has just finished slamming the unconscious guy into a car truck when the quake starts. He stands open-mouthed next to the car, watching the church shake itself apart. "Oh my God, what did they fuckin' DO!?"

Behind him, Mike whines and barks furiously. "Hunter! Hunter, these fools have no doubt unleashed powers beyond their control! We must flee before we share their fate!"

As good as that sounded, Hunter wasn't going to leave anybody to get killed unless he had no other choice. Instead, he draws his pistol and takes a knee. He wasn't aiming it at the doors yet, because God forbid he shoot one of the others trying to get out of there, but the second anything crazy bursts through those doors, he's going to be ready for it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Jackson quickly throws the woman into a fireman's carry, seeing that he has little time to actually free her from her bonds. As he lurches past the monster, the two make eye contact, and the hulking creature's eyes widen in shock as he realizes what Jackson is carrying. "Julia!"

Emerging into the sunlight of the graveyard behind the church, Jackson makes a break for the car alongside Gabriel, Coralee, and Olivia, while Hunter and Bea stand by the trunk of the car as if they haven't shoved a teenager into it. Coralee and the others make it to the car without further incident, and Jackson lays the woman down by the wheels of the vehicle, trying to catch his breath after running so hard with another person; the woman shivers in fear, staying silent as the bag puffs out in front of her from her breathing. After less than a minute, the earthquake stops, with Hunter and Coralee training their guns on the back door.

Silence fills the air until a shout comes from within the church from a voice filled with sadness and concern. "Is Julia okay?! Please tell me she's okay!"

The woman by the car sits up at the name, turning her head from underneath the bag to try to figure out where the voice is coming from. She gives a squeak from beneath the bag, a wordless noise, and the woman slumps back against the tire in frustration.

Sta+Athletics (-1 for carrying lady): 6d10o9h8 6
Jackson takes 3 bashing.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

Hunter lowers his pistol and looks at the others, utterly bewildered.

"Wh... what? What the gently caress is going on? I turn my back for five minutes and the goddamn church collapses and we're up to two strangers, uh, indisposed in our presence. Is that the monster yellin' about her, because if the monster's also the one who bagged and tied her, he's got a funny way of showing his concern."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Dr. Olivia Tynes, PhD
Health 3(b)/7

Olivia immediately heads to the woman, checking her for other signs of harm than the bag on the head and the binding, because she's certainly not ready to try and figure out the rest of what's going on. She's not exactly experienced with dealing with people in a situation like this, outside of taking care of them. "Ma'am? Are you Julia? Are you okay? I'm going to take the bag off your head and check you for any signs of obvious harm or other marks. Please, try to stay calm."

She inspects the woman before removing the bag, in case she's.. also something weird. She wasn't expecting people here, much less the whole battery and cheap food angle. "Hunter, Bea, did you guys find someone your way too?"

First Aid The Woman: 6d10o10h8 2

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 24, 2018

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Olivia finds no immediate signs of injury or damage on the woman's extremities, beyond that her skin is incredibly pale and cool to the touch. She removes the bag carefully, and Julia squints, turning her face from the sun. Her skin is smooth and pale, and long black ringlets fall down around her shoulders once freed from the burlap sack. Her eyes are a brilliant blue, and her lips a soft pink in contrast to her pale skin. She tries to speak, but can still only squeak; Olivia's first aid inspection finds that the woman does have all of her teeth and her tongue, just in case there was any worry for any subversive torture. Her pulse is thready and fast, but the woman seems outwardly calm.

Julia struggles to sit up, trying to move to better see the back of the church; her hands and feet are still bound, and she doesn't seem to pay it much mind.

Hunter spots movement briefly at the doorway of the church, but before he can raise his pistol again the figure is gone. "She's not ready to be outside! Please, bring her back! I'm sorry!"

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hunter O'Hennessy

"Not ready to be outside? The hell... Wait, poo poo. What are we doin', let's not risk kidnapping charges. Bea, help me get that guy back out of the trunk and wake him up, we ain't got no proof he's done nothing."

Hunter puts his gun away and pops the trunk, then starts trying to drag the guy they'd caught in the woods back out and onto the ground. Maybe they could just wake him up and pretend they never had any dubious intentions for him.

"I dunno what you guys pissed off in that church but if he gives so much of a poo poo about his hostage, he can come out and get her. And get shot in the process, I hope."

I say we just first aid the guy we found in the woods and act like we weren't going to shove him in a trunk for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Coralee Hardy

Coralee shouts back, "Why the heck should we trust a kidnappin' sonnova bitch, huh? 'Sides, you were fixin' to drop that pile of bricks on all of our heads. Didn't seem to care much about her health then!"

• Locked thread