Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

breath of the wild ever allowing amiibos was stupid.

are there a lot of games people legit run (more than just a couple of people i mean) that have only a 2 percent chance of having a "perfect" run even if you make no mistakes?

Literally any RPG. I know FF1 NES has about a 1/10 chance of surviving the initial grind and Marsh Cave, and then a coin flip at Earth Cave, Ordeals, and Ice Cave. Even if you make it through all that, you can still irretrievably lose the run to bad Kary or Chaos luck, and can lose up to 4 minutes at Tiamat if your 1/8 instakill doesn't go off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I don't really have a problem with a start-scumming mod as a category, tbh. It makes the speedrun more accessible.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Symphony of the Night has a faster route that nobody has been able to replicate in a run which depends on an incredibly unlikely meal ticket drop which then depends on the meal ticket randomly becoming a toadstool which then depends on the RNG damaging yourself in just the right way to make a jump. Should SOTN runners use a mod that forces all of these conditions to occur 100% all the time?

That's not start-scumming.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

financially racist posted:

what

have you never played smb3 before???

lol smb3 was released before I was born. i played it briefly on a friend's gameboy, and that's my entire first hand exposure to it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah I agree that it should be a separate category. There are other games with any%s nobody likes.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, it sucks but it's completely understandable from GDQ's perspective.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Suggestions on speedruns for longer games with entertaining but not overbearing runners? Looking for stuff to put on in the background while I work, so the more suggestions the better.

Gyre does final fantasy and occasionally other stuff. He’s playtesting the randomized most nights atm

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah all OOB games may be technically impressive but they’re not super interesting to watch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I love glitchy runs, I just don’t like when the only glitch is ‘get out of bounds’

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Or like, PSP Final Fantasy 1, where the one glitch is ‘immediately get endgame equipment, then proceed to play normally’ which has no interesting routing or strategies outside of the one glitch.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I hope someone arrests your posting

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
There was some drama about Krysssssssssssssssstal possibly using tools during LttP randomizer races or something, and her threatening to dox people when people made their suspicions known

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Not that she's been a part of the community for some time but narcissa got perma'd today for what sounds like a bunch of lesser offenses wrapped up and delivered as a big one. Really strange tale on this one, going from essentially the face of speedrunning several years ago to ending up like she did, which is a person deeply in need of help.

I'm being hopeful in thinking maybe being away from Twitch would be good for her and I hope she finds help.

Yeah, Narcissa's really interesting explaination videos are what got me interested in speedrunning int he first place, and it's really loving sad that she hasn't had the kind of support she clearly needs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Also it's weird and mentally unhealthy to stream every waking moment of your life.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

GDQ is evolving right alongside Twitch in the "don't ever for any reason do anything even remotely close to possibly being in consideration for maybe being something that someone, somewhere, in one of the multiverses considers offensive". It is astounding what Twitch is up to these days in an attempt to almost completely sterilize the platform of any remotely interesting personalities.

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

:qq:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Crotch Bat posted:

Have you really seen nothing of Twitch in general since the TOS changes?

Nobody I watch has ever been punished for anything :shrug:. Stop watching lovely people maybe?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Maybe the nazi was crotch bat all along

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Infected posted:

More that we have to have this exact discussion seemingly before and after every GDQ instead of people just going this is dumb and moving on, but if you are elated by this repeating itself, I guess more power to you.

Yeah we should let bigot sympathizers just post whatever they want man!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Why is that an emote

:justass:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

:justass: should explain everything you need to know.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Someday I'll start practicing Oracle of Ages again

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Wait I didn't catch the Odyssey run what happened?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ugh, D2 boss skip in Oracle of Ages is miserable! It wouldn't be nearly as bad if pause buffering wasn't so hard to do consistently.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Any suggestions on RPG or longer game in general speedrunners to watch on Youtube or Twitch? Dry, entertaining, doesn't matter but the more interesting the better. I already enjoy puwexil if that's a good indicator.

If you like puwexil you'll also like gyre

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Gotta say that a run with a 1% success rate probably isn't fantastic marathon material.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

hasn't kept all the pokemon runs out

Or the paper mario run last time that had to savestate through several fights. It's dumb.

e: manipulated runs are cool and fun, but you better have them practiced to the point you can do them drat near 100% of the time, like the Final Fantasy 1 or Dragon Warrior 1 runs.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SeXReX posted:

They put my run so early that it's not even past midnight on the west coast

Dangerously close to having people be able to watch it

I'm going to donate while complaining about the number of glitches.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Honestly the post "this is bad if true but we can't act on it because it's falsifiable, send more evidence of you have it" would be fine, the dumb equivocation line is the problem.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

it's not a win if they can still show up and make attendees unsafe.

They can't ban them from the hotel unless they get a restraining order man

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Cyberdemon did a 180 several months ago. Take that as you will

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Gooses server and every admin on it was banned by discord :lol:

Considering the poo poo thats out there, that is an IMPRESSIVE feat of shitlordery

ahahahahaha

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Isn't it a public channel? According to KevinDDR it is. A GDQ representative could've just... joined the channel and scrolled up, right?

It was a private channel on a public discord

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It's cause it started as a dumb slap fight between a pedo and a nazi, and got retweetes from there

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Coolmatty has been the defacto or dude for a few years now and he's terrible at damage control. Guy needs to step back and find someone else who can do that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Ban coolmatty from gdq oh my god

then unban peaches and bonesaw

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

Lol

Did anyone tweet at him "I would really prefer if you'd be quiet"?

it happened minutes after i tweeted at him to log off so i claim the credit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

I checked in on/r/speedrun because I'm a loving idiot and got as far as a post about how yeah Hitler sucks but a world record is a world record and - hypothetically - if Hitler got the fastest time on Hamtaro for the GBA, then we should respect that.

Honestly most of the posts in that thread are pretty decent. The chuds and nazi apologists and crap are widely downvoted, and basically everyone agrees that at east they should be banned from interacting with the community. People are just weird about he SANCTITY OF THE LEADERBOARDS.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fun hater posted:

no i mean i get why people would impersonate streamers and i saw plenty of accounts that did. obviously and badly. but why larp boringly as a payroll guy that doesnt have a prior history of drama, and why respond like you actually are the guy abt con bans.

i think it warrants an investigation.

Have you never interacted with channers and chud before? They love impersonating people they grudges against (badly)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

fun hater posted:

there are so many other targets in the world i cannot fathom wasting precious time on planet earth pretending to be the guy who said all those words for real yesterday. i took the post down. ive been successfully convinced i dont know 100% but now im jsut sad someone out there might really be acting like this.

e: like...being boring on purpose...why

Most of the time they genuinely can't tell that they're not funny and nobody is convinced because they didn't have a lot of social skills in the first place and what they did have had melted out their ears from never interacting with real people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah people have somehow talked themselves around to the idea that the problem is something wildly different than it is, which is that coolmatty made a dumb post, then after fixing te mistake got insanely defensive anyway and tried to make it about himself. It's standard lovely 'ally' behavior: dismiss the concerns of vulnerable groups as irrational, then monopolize the conversation. What it isn't is 'the official gdq position is nazis are ok', and it never was.