Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004
in 2018 still? Oh my bad sorry for not having my first thought be sperging out and using rsync or tarring everything up first or some other nerd poo poo for something as trivial as copying a directory bc it can't handle the last 1% of files without taking hours for the last 2gb using the world's most advanced operating system or any other desktop OS for that matter. It will literally save time to restart the computer and review man pages for rsync and start over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
macos does some stupid fuckin poo poo at times

like I was installing a printer, and while it was downloading the software, it stayed on top of all the windows, and you couldnt minimise it, so you just have to drag it off the screen

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have to restart macos to make it do things I want to far more than I reset windows

in fact I can't remember the last time I reset windows to fix a problem. seriously

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Tfw you buy a brand new external HD specifically trying to avoid having this somehow take literally all day and it still does in 2018 using 2018 software.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
works on my machine

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i have not been able to back up my time capsule for months. it just infinitely does the first backup, even up to 1.2TB, and my internal drive is only 256GB. i've reset it 3 times now and i'm still not sure it's gonna work.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Works great on my iMac’s 1TB SSD.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the short answer is that cancelling a kernel call that’s deep in the vfs layer is basically impossible.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james

The Management posted:

the short answer is that cancelling a kernel call that’s deep in the vfs layer is basically impossible.

Hmm you don't know poo poo

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

The Management posted:

Why tho. If I do it thru command line tools it works fine and I can cancel cleanly if I want. Why the difference for the GUI

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The Management posted:

weird that it works fine on windows. Maybe it just has a better design?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pointsofdata posted:

weird that it works fine on windows. Maybe it just has a better design?

yeah it really sounds like this is the case, op

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

for years I have used a Time Capsule and assumed I was on 5Ghz. I mean it supports it. while other routers had separate 2.4 and 5Ghz networks, I assumed the Time Capsule just intelligently switch between the two frequencies or something.

while having a bunch of WiFi issues I went into the AirPort Utility and saw there was an option to give a 5Ghz name. I wasn't sure if that would enable 5Ghz or simply separate the network names. based on the enormous improvement I got from checking the box, it does indeed enable 5Ghz.

so for some reason 5Ghz isn't even on by default, is difficult to discover and doesn't even properly explain what the option does. i'm pretty choked about that cause i've had this for like 4 years+ and done all types of weird poo poo to get decent reception throughout those years.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
interesting because my airport extreme 5ghz has been on since the day i bought it because im not completely retarded

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

emoji posted:

in 2018 still? Oh my bad sorry for not having my first thought be sperging out and using rsync or tarring everything up first or some other nerd poo poo for something as trivial as copying a directory bc it can't handle the last 1% of files without taking hours for the last 2gb using the world's most advanced operating system or any other desktop OS for that matter. It will literally save time to restart the computer and review man pages for rsync and start over

it looks like you're using a Linux, op. Linux is a subpar os that doesn't work very well. You need to use windows if you want things to work.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Macintosh OSX doesn't have a sound mixer so all programs are the same volume all the time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it really annoys me that windows can't output sound to multiple devices at the same time

i have no idea why this is and there's no good software solution

pram
Jun 10, 2001
volume janitoring lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pram posted:

volume janitoring lol

lol

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
have you considered that, perhaps, your operating system is a piece of poo poo?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the funny part is that linux fixes every issue mentioned in this thread. even the multiple sound outputs one.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Tankakern posted:

the funny part is that linux fixes every issue mentioned in this thread. even the multiple sound outputs one.

linux, well known for fixing issues with sound

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The Management posted:

linux, well known for fixing issues with sound

Can't have any issues if there isn't any to begin with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it really annoys me that windows can't output sound to multiple devices at the same time

i have no idea why this is and there's no good software solution

it can

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well, you can have multiple sound devices in use at once. idk if theres a way to send the same thing out of multiple devices.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

in linux you can put as many soundcards as you want together to one big pseudo soundcard with a toggle in the sound control panel for pulseaudio

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the gently caress do you need an expensive sound card for when you can cobble up a covox from a bunch of resistors for next to nothing

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Shaggar posted:

well, you can have multiple sound devices in use at once. idk if theres a way to send the same thing out of multiple devices.

i know cisco jabber and maybe other voip phones can output to all audio devices. v. useful if you want to use headphones but at the same time you want to hear your computer ring when your not in front of it.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you're not using a rack mount soundcard you're a huge idiot.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

if it's not possible with the default windows interface i know you can hack it together with Virtual Audio Cables

i remember using that at my last job to allow someone to play recordings over the softphone to someone they were on a call with

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

If you're not using a usb dac you're a huge idiot.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

interesting because my airport extreme 5ghz has been on since the day i bought it because im not completely retarded

i have no idea why you're not on ignore after that bullshit you pulled

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol sad little man

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i run toslink out to my speakers

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i run toslink out to my speakers

i have a live orchestra accompanying my computre usage, op

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

pram posted:

lol sad little man

you're a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this brings me pleasure kevin

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
hey op did anyone answer the question yet?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
The answer was that the coding is bad. I used rsync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sounds like you should just switch to windows 10, op

• Locked thread