Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

EUROPA Needs YOU!

Established in the Golden Age as a response to the rising threat of Para-human violence and crime spreading across Europe the European Union Regulatory Office for Para-human Activities is a multi-national law enforcement team made up of the best and brightest heroes the continent has to offer. For decades we’ve protected western Europe from super-criminals alien invaders, and the occasional communist backed Para-Human .However since the fall of the Berlin Wall and the massive expansion of the EU it brought with it Europa is being stretched thin and is finding it difficult to meet all the threats the continent faces. It needs the next generation to step up and make a difference. It needs you. Whether it’s fighting Aliens in Athens or Zombies in Zurich serving with us will take you all over Europe and possibly even beyond. . We offer generous scholarship packages and great careers for any budding heroes out there, so don’t be shy Enlist today!

What is Masks?

Masks is a PBTA game about being a teenage superhero. It’s about being a hero and getting a date with that hot girl/guy/alien thing from another dimension. About saving the world (or at least the continent) and overcoming your teenage angst.

It’s a system that is pretty straightforward to learn and fairly narrative heavy. But if you need any help don’t be afraid to ask. If I’m not around there’s likely to be plenty of veterans to help you out.

Misc stuff

Fiddling with and reskinning powers is absolutely fine as long as they make sense and match the theme of the playbook. I.e. no beacons with godlike powers or no Bulls that couldn’t fight their way out of a paper bag.

The discord is here if you want to ask any me any questions. I also have PM’s but you’ll probably get a quicker response on the discord.

All playbooks are available although keep in mind that the backer playbooks are still a work in progress and may not be properly balanced or play tested yet.

Recruitment will last about a week until the 28th of January and I’m looking for around about six players. Now good luck and have fun apping!

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

La Hoguera, the Bull

"It's not what you are, it's what you do. If I tell myself that enough times, hell, I might even start believing it."

quote:

• Who changed you?

Well, as you've probably guessed, I wasn't always a walking weapon. I mean, hell, just a few months ago I was sitting for my Bachillerato. I killed it! I was going to have my pick of universities. And... now I'm this. I'm still a little fuzzy on what happened. Why it happened, even, but I do know this: There's this group in Spain, they call themselves Cero Miedo. No Fear. Funny, huh, that a bunch of super-powered lunatics would go by that. What the hell do they think they're doing? It sure as hell isn't eliminating fear. More like the opposite.

A couple of their guys jumped me when I was walking back home from a coffee shop. I don't know what I did to get on their radar. Maybe I pissed off the wrong guy, maybe I just had the right genetics. Can't really ask the lab guys now and, uh, honestly I'm just hoping I never see them again.

quote:

• How did you escape from them?

Heh. Are you kidding? I am — was — a model student. I know a thing or two about pretending to do what's expected and picking your moment to do something else. Alright, alright, so when I woke up... I was like this. After a couple of days just solidly freaking the gently caress out — can you blame me? — I finally calmed down enough to figure out a plan. I've got more than enough power to blow through pretty much anything in my way. All it took was pretending to be onboard with the whole death machine gig long enough for them to clear me to go mess around in the proving grounds.

Classic mistake. The moment they cut off my limiters, let me tap into my reactors' full potential? I annihilated my way up and out of the underground complex. It was built to withstand a EUROPA assault. Hell, it probably even could have stopped some of them from escaping. But me? I was like a wrecking ball. Walls? Gone. Guards? Not a chance. I came up in the middle of Barcelona, not too far from where they grabbed me, come to think of it, and the local EUROPA affiliates showed up a few moments later.

quote:

• Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

Dr. Fuego offered to watch out for me, once EUROPA was satisfied, and he's been helping me get used to... Well, you know. Being a cyborg. There are all sorts of systems and gear options, too, and we need to figure out which ones are okay to keep and which ones need to be removed. What kind of hero needs nerve gas dispensers? Definitely not me.

Oh and, um, I can't go home. Like... legally speaking. I'm basically under extended probation which, okay, sure, I get that. They want to make sure I'm not some sort of sleeper agent. But on the other hand... what the hell? It's not like I asked for this. If they did their goddamn jobs, I wouldn't have to worry about blowing up a building or two when I got worked up.

quote:

• Why do you try to be a hero?

Well, I'm not going to make it as a psychologist. That's... not an option I have anymore. It's been made pretty well clear that I'm either going to live a life of quiet isolation, somewhere where I won't "endanger the lives of others" or I'm going to prove to them that I can control all this. When they put it like that, it's not really a choice. I'm going to do it. I'll convince whoever the hell gets to make that choice. I'll play their game. I'll earn the right to have a normal life again. And then... I don't know. Maybe finally go to university.

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

Here's the thing: how many friends do you think I still have? Well, if you guessed anywhere north of zero... you're a goddamn optimist. So here I am. With a bunch of weirdoes, would-be heroes, and whoever else EUROPA found for their teen hero squad. I dunno about you, but given that I'm trying to get to have friends again... a life... This is as good a place as any to start.

quote:

Name: Isabel Rubio Torrero
Hero Name: La Hoguera
Look: Woman, Spanish, Battered Hands, Casual Clothes, No Costume

Abilities: Superhumanly Tough (Full-Body Cybernetic Replacements), Incredibly Strong (Twin Perpetual Energy Reactors), Uniquely Skilled At Fighting (A Wide Array of Built-In Weapons)

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger +2
Savior -1
Superior +1
Mundane +0

Moves:
❑ In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

❑ Physics? What physics?: When you unleash your powers to barrel through an insurmountable barrier, roll + Danger instead of + Freak.

Bull's Heart:
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love:
Rival:

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:

Friend: When you comfort or support your love or rival, mark potential on a hit. When your love or rival comforts or supports you, mark potential when they roll a hit.

Moment of Truth:
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to fnd you...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

When our team first came together...
We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Relationships:
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence:
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 22, 2018

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Edit: I can't make up my mind, apparently, so here's a Star!

Glacia, the Star
Theme Song

Glacia walks into the interview room about half-an-hour late, and more than a bit hung-over. "Right, here I am," she sits down on the chair in front of her, and very rudely kicks her feet up on the desk, "You already know who I am, so let's just get this interview over quickly, yea?"

quote:

• When did you first appear onscreen?

Glacia looks up from her phone, and gives you an ice-cold glare, "...Isn't it your job to know these things? Ugh, fine. If you really wanna know, I made my singing debut about a year ago, but I didn't really hit it big until I debuted as a hero. It happened a few months ago, when some guy who called himself "The Golden King" was causing trouble at the local mall. Him and his gang were smashing up the stores, stealing stuff, and just doing whatever it is villains do. I guess all the big "heroes" were busy that day, cuz it was looking like nobody was going to stop him, so I decided to step in, and stop him myself."

"Didn't take me that long, either. Froze him dead in his track, and yea, sure, I might've ended up freezing over half the mall, too, but whatever," she shrugs, "I stopped him, and that's all that matters."

"Guess I must've really left an impression, cuz I was all everybody could talk about for a while, and more and more people would come to see me perform. "The Cool Rockstar Hero" is what they'd call me. My name was getting big in the music and the hero scene, and I've got entire fan sites dedicated to me, so yea, I'm kind of a big deal now."

quote:

• What do you tell people about how you got your powers?

"I give them one of these," she raises up one of her fingers in a rude gesture, "And then I tell them to mind their own drat business."

"...Alright, fine, I'll tell you. It's not like it's a big secret anyways."

"I was born with them. Remember Ice Master? That washed-up, joke of a villain? I'm his daughter, and the only good thing that came out of him."

"Dad's a joke. If you ever mention his name, people are going to laugh, and tell you how pathetic he was, and how he hasn't won a single fight. He was a lovely parent, too. Left me and my mom when I was still a kid."

"Let me make one thing clear; we might share the same powers, but I'm not anything like him. I'm not a complete failure like he is. That sorry excuse for a man is no "dad" of mine."

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, supports your burgeoning star in every way possible?

Glacia is barely looking at the interviewer at this point, focusing all her attention on her phone instead, "My manager, and PR agent, Silvia Clarington. She's the one who set up this interview in the first place, said it'd be 'good for my image' or whatever."

"Silvia and her team have been putting a ton of effort into me, setting me up with gigs, and even encouraging me to continue with the whole hero business. She thinks I can get even bigger than I already am, and joining EUROPA would help give me more "exposure." So I thought, hell, why not? Gives me a chance to play my music, and kick some rear end."

quote:

• Who, outside of the team, loathes what you represent?

"...My mom. She thinks all of this is a huge mistake. Mom's been discouraging me from using my powers since I was a kid, and when she found out what I did at the mall... yea, she wasn't exactly happy about it. We got into a fight, a big one. A lot of things were said, things that can't really be taken back anymore, and it ended up with me leaving. Do I regret it? Kinda, but I've come to far to back down now. Mom wants me to live a "quiet, boring life," and that's just something I can't do. I have all these powers, and I have all this talent, and there's no way I'm letting it all go to waste, and turn into a nobody like my 'dad.'"

"...I send her half of my paycheck, just so she could still support herself. We might not have a great relationship, but she's the only one who looked after me for all those years after dad left us. Just don't tell anybody I told you that, alright? I've got a reputation to keep, and I don't want everybody thinking I'm actually soft."

quote:

Glacia gives a one-shoulder shrug, "Dunno about 'caring' about them, but it's not like I can get far on my own. I need my "band" to support me, and that's what they are to me; my support. Nothing more, nothing less. A little cold, yea, but that's the truth. I could give you some BS answer about how "friendship is important" and blah blah blah, but I won't."

"...Alright, fine, I guess I like a few of them, and I guess they can be fun to hang out with, but that doesn't mean I actually care about them or some crap like that."

"...Okay, I might care a little."

The Star posted:

Hero Name: Glacia
Mask: Star
Look: woman, irish, cold eyes, casual clothing, rebellious costume

Abilities
❑❑ flame Ice control

Labels
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +1
Superior +3
Mundane -1

Moves
❑❑ Stage-fighting: When you directly engage a threat with an audience watching, mark a condition to roll + Superior instead of Danger.

❑❑ Take it from me: When you comfort or support someone who openly admires your celebrity persona, roll + Superior instead of Mundane.

Audience
You are a celebrity in the city. By default, your audience is a limited group of interested fans, and you speak to them through after-action interviews and infrequent press conferences. Why does your audience love you?
❑❑ You’re a dangerous person, a bad seed
❑❑ You’re stunning, unique, and beautiful
❑❑ You’re a firebrand, a rabble rouser

Choose two advantages:
❑❑ You have a PR agent to handle your audience
❑❑ Your audience is utterly devoted to you

Choose two demands your audience makes on you:
❑❑ They require constant stimulation
❑❑ They require frequent bouts of drama

Moment of Truth
Sometimes it can be hard to tell where the show stops and where you begin—but not today. Not now. Because right now, there is no show. Right now, you are the thing you pretend to be—bold and bright and beautiful and amazing and powerful and confident. Right now, you draw strength from your audience, comfort from their belief in you, and you can do anything they think you can. Of course, after such an impassioned performance, your audience will just have even more demands...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, say whether it’s part of the show or not. If it is, then you can shift your Labels as you choose. If it is not, then they shift your Labels, and you can clear a condition or mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they will tell anyone the truth about you. If they agree to keep it a secret, clear a condition or mark potential. If they don’t agree, the GM shifts your Labels.

When our team first came together…
We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet within the city, thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Relationships
__________________ might wind up being more of a star than me some day.
__________________ would be a great sidekick; I try to keep them around.

Influence
Choose how you see the team: as a means to an end, or as something worthwhile on its own.
If you see the team as something worthwhile, give three teammates Influence.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 4, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

A door bell rings.

"Good morning! My name is Liliel, and I am your guardian angel. May I come in?"

thud

Well, that didn't work... What do I do now? Maybe the guidebook has an answer...

"Uhm... I can cook...?"

quote:

Where do you come from?

Heaven.

No, I'm serious. I am an angel. Look, I have wings, and a halo. The halo allows me to stay in contact with heaven, you see.

You probably have many questions about heaven, but I'm afraid I'm not allowed to talk much about it. I can tell you that it doesn't work quite like how you humans think.

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

I was sent here by the high council to be someone's guardian angel. I am sure you are aware of the concept. But you probably weren't aware of the fact that they are in fact real. Usually, however, they don't work visibly - but with the advent of superpowers, this has become harder and harder to uphold, until the council just told me not to bother with it.

That might have something to do with the fact that our guardian angels are heavily overworked recently. I'm not actually a fully trained guardian angel - most of my training was as for to be a cupid - an angel of love. I've been switched over fairly late in my training.

Thankfully, I received a very helpful guidebook to compensate for my lack of training, so it should be fine.

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

Well, for one, it's my assignment, and of course I want to fulfill it. It's also my very first assignment, and I am very excited to work with humans. I have heard a lot about your species, but I never had the chance to interact with you before.

Now that I am here, I have realized just how different humanity and its cultures are from us angels! I am very intrigued by that fact, and I would very much like to learn more. I am assured it would help my complete my task a lot better.

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

The truth is, opinions on how to interact with humanity have been greatly divided as of late. There are some that say we angels should not interfere at all, some that say we should have continued to work unseen, and obviously some that chose the current path.

Now, I was given this assignment by the high council, so I can't exactly just come home, but there are quite a few people that don't agree with my presence here, especially since it is visible. But I have no intention of letting it deter me - after all, I am simply doing as I was ordered.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

They are the comrades of my charge. It makes sense to help them - after all, they are helping me do my job! It is only natural that I return the favor. The truth is, I'd prefer my charge wasn't in such a dangerous profession, but that is something I am not allowed to interfere with...

quote:

Name: Liliel
Secret Identity: none, yet
Abilities: Light Manipulation (Heliokinesis), Stunning Beauty and Cupid Arrows (Pheromones), Flight, Super-Toughness

Light Manipulation entails things such as setting up barriers out of solid light, healing people, holy fire and so on.

Cupid arrows work as expected - making people fall in love with each other, not necessarily with Liliel. She's also very beautiful herself, but hasn't really realized that fact yet.

Liliel's wings allow her to fly as one would expect, but need to be manifested in order to do so (both the wings and the halo can be hidden from sight to attract less attention.)

As an angelic being, Liliel is immortal, and as such can't take lasting damage. However, she lacks the resilience of actual brawlers, and can easily be flung around as someone would expect from a person of her stature.

Moves

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

Stats:

Freak: +1
Danger: -1
Savior: +1
Superior: +2
Mundane: -1

Moment of Truth

You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Relationships

You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with La Hoguera.
You have a crush on Glacia but you keep it under wraps.

Influence

If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 4, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Might try and revive a previous concept as a Newborn or Outsider, depending on what other folks do.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Scavenger, the Beacon
(Real Name: Mahavira Sharma)

Okay, so first off: I didn't choose this name. It's what some reporter for the local paper gave me. Not a great start to a superhero career, but names aren't permanent right? Admittedly I don't look particularly great either - I put together my outfit out of what I could find, used dye to get the right colors, and then when it went into the wash the first time either the dye or the soap or who knows what messed it all up so now it kind of looks like loud garbage. But I assume that's also fixable. Really, the biggest issue is being a hero without superpowers. I'm not completely helpless - I know how to fight (had kind of a martial arts phase when I was younger) and I'm pretty athletic. Still: in this group full of people with crazy awesome powers, I kind of stand out. I've applied to EUROPA but Celestial Knight keeps trying to discourage me. She says she's worried about my safety, but I've already proven myself. I don't care what she thinks and she's not going to stop me from joining.

Anyway, the reason I'm doing all this is because the world needs heroes. And I'm not just going to sit around and do nothing while some ridiculous villans go around terrorizing everyone and everything I care about. Like I said, I made my own costume. It's not great but it'll do as a way to keep my identity a secret. I first went out a few months ago, mostly as practice. I've gotten the hang of things now. And it's be neat to be on an actual team with people who have the same interest as me.

And honestly? I'd be lying if I didn't say despite all the danger and judgement and pain - being a superhero is cool as hell.

quote:

Man
South Asian
Average face
Casual clothing
Gaudy costume

Abilities:

If you have superpowers, they’re pretty minor or not noticeable. If you have skills, you carry the necessary equipment. Choose two.

Martial arts
Acrobatics

Labels:

Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane +2

Moves

Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane. On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
- what’s my best way in/out?
- what happened here recently?
- what here is worth grabbing?
- who or what here is not what they seem?
- whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot.

No powers and not nearly enough training: You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

The first time you use each piece of gear to directly engage a threat, unleash your powers, or defend someone, you can roll + Mundane instead of the normal Label.

Drives

Get a new costume
Get a new hero name
Take down a threat all on your own
Reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships

____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.

You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real hero.

Influence

You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jan 25, 2018

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017
As posted on discord:

1.A newborn, who is basically frankenstein (could be transformed, but she is a new being with no prior life)

2. An innocent who has time warping powers. During a fight, s/he flashforward into current day and finds out his/her adult self took the mantle of the villian who killed his/her parents.

3. A transformed who bears the resemblance of a villianous monster that nearly decimated the city. Thus, he or she is not only judged by appearance, but undue reputation as well (and it doesn't help that there is a temper to go along with it).

Will give this a day to marinate, then I'll begin fleshing out one of these skeletons.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Circense, the Protege
Pronounced cheer-cen-se, with the last two "e"s pronounced like the e in set. It means "related to the circus" in Italian.
Real name: Federico "Fede" Khadra. He's a first-generation Italian whose parents came there from Algeria.

Labels
Danger -1 Freak 0 Savior +1 Superior +2 Mundane +1
Looks
Ambiguous, black, athletic body, casual clothes, colorful costume

This is Circense’s mask. Their costume follows a similar color pattern, and is in the style of the commedia dell’arte characters, sometimes called “masks” themselves.

Something along these lines, except the scraps of colors are fewer but bigger.

Mentor

Pulcinella, champion of the people of Napoli and nemesis of mafiosi everywhere. He disrupts their operation, reveals their hideaways and stashes to the general public, and mocks them mercilessly, because there is no better weapon against those that rule by fear than laughing in their face. Some people believe that he's a genius loci, the incarnation of the city itself; personally, I think he's just a very, very good acrobat. Only recently acknowledged by EUROPA, he has been working with them to bring down internation organized crime, both powered and non, but is still often seen in his old Napolitan stomping grounds.

Embodies Mundane, denies Superior.

Abilities:
Shared ability: Parkour and acrobatics
Mentor ability: Stealth and larceny
Circense's ability: Gadgets and weapons, shaped like a circus performers' props.

Moves:
*Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.
*Venting frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.
*Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight,
you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.
Backstory

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?
I met him the same way every scugnizzo from Napoli meets him. I saw him do a somersault from a rooftop to a balcony, then wave at us kids in the street as he jumped onto the handrail, and from there take a running start and jump onto a church's roof, which he proceeded to climb out of sight. He's always been nice to us.

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?
...oh. Right. For some reason I really wasn't expecting this question. It's not complicated or anything, it's just... okay, let me take it from the top.
Growing up in Italy, especially in a poor neighborhood, I got to see up close how my state fails us. You get to see kids my own age that know that there is no honest work for them in the future, to know that they have no way of making it into the job market without connections or a decent education. And so they throw themselves to the only institution that works as intended in Italy: the mafia.

I've lost three friends this way. Jacopo, Carmela, Sandro. Kids like me. Sandro disappeared two weeks ago, and the other two have been playing lookout long enough that soon they'll be "promoted" to bigger crimes.

They're not bad people. I know nobody believes that their friends can be bad, but... I'm serious. They are good kids. They're just desperate. It's not that they enjoy it, either. You know what Carmela said, when... when we talked the last time?
"We're going to die anyway. At least now we'll die with a full stomach and a new phone in our pockets."
She was already cynical before working with them; now she's downright callous. I... I want to stop this from happening. This is going on with thousands of children throughout Italy, throughout the world. I want to save my friends, too, and save them in such a way that whoever's payroll they are on isn't going to put an hit on their families for disobeying.

And training with Pulcinella is the only way to have a shot at that.

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?
Because I kept up with him I watched countless parkour tutorials on Youtube, and practiced them in the alleys of Napoli every day. I got good enough that I could travel from the Duomo to the Vomero without my feet ever touching the ground.

And the next time that I saw Pulcinella cavort through the roofs, I climbed a wall and followed him.

He lost me, of course. Like I said, he's very good, and he has no compunctions about dropping in a house and hiding there until his pursuer has lost track of him. It took me three tries to catch up with him on the roof of a church, and to ask if he would take me as his sidekick and train me.

He said: "Oh come now, guagliò! What have I been doing all this time?".

Yeah. He's like that.

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?
My parents, for one, who are worried sick about me. They're sure that by openly siding against mafiosi, I'm painting a giant target on myself. I can't blame them for thinking that. For the longest time, Italy has had to endure the parasite of organized crime; it has sunk its roots into every part of society. People don't even try to fight it anymore, they just passively endure it, like a cancer patient waiting to die in their hospital bed. The rise of supers has changed this somewhat: people who have nothing to fear from bullet or intimidation might be what we need to turn back the tide. If they don't decide to side with the corrupt system.

Sorry, sorry. Apart from them, nobody knows that Fede and Circense are the same person, not even Pulcinella.

quote:

They're good people, and they're trying to help. They don't really get my situation, but it's alright; I don't expect them to.

Plus, I'm hoping that if we do a good enough job with EUROPA, I might just convince them to channel some resources into the superpowerd Italian community's fight against organized crime. We could really use the help.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 25, 2018

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

An unassuming black hoodie. Jeans, slightly worn but clearly out of use rather than stylistic choice. Small bags under the eyes but not remarkable ones, a slightly sullen demeanor. Terseness and somewhat flat affect one could easily put on the tab of him being Finnish. Indeed, there was nearly nothing remarkable about Jaakko other than occasional spells of aloofness and a gaze prone to wandering. But nevertheless, though there was not much to actually put your finger on, his very presence seemed to radiate an oppressive aura of unease.

As per Jaakko, all he ever wanted was to be a plumber.

But not much of a future in that anymore, now was there?

Gloom, The Doomed

quote:

When did you first learn of your doom?

Jaakko furrowed his brows. Then, slowly, deliberately, he started to answer, "It was after grandpa died", his accent was extremely thick, the words massively overpronounced. It was the English of someone clearly not very good at the language and extremely uncomfortable speaking it, "I found the shaman drum in his attic. He collected all kinds of weird things", there is a pause, "I tried to play it. But there was an evil spirit inside and it got freed on accident."

"Whoops", he said in an obvious attempt to make a joke, but he did not smile or laugh, leaving the whole thing a bit flat.

The shamanic drum in question, of Sami make

"It tried to take me somewhere but only took me halfway. I call it 'harmaamaa' but you can just call it The Grey. Because it is very grey", Jaakko nods, as if to pronounce the point, "I can go there. And do things with it. Really, all of my powers are based on me pushing and pulling on it to inflict it on other people. For some reason I can do that, I don't know why."

There is a pause, during which Jaakko shoots several quick glances around himself, "But the spirit is there too, I call him Kalma. He is too far away for me to know what he looks like, and sometimes I see him only from corner of my eye, but he is there. I don't know what he wants other than to pull me in there completely, for whatever reason."

"And once I am in fully I can never come back", again he furrowed his brow, "I don't know how I know that. I just do."

quote:

Where did you get your sanctuary?

"Harmaamaa is my sanctuary. So I suppose in a way that spirit gave it to me? With effort I can go there", he furrowed his brow, as if trying to remember the right word, "physically with my body and other things. Even other people. Nobody can follow. Nobody but me can get out. Even the Polar Wizards or the Scarlet Circle don't know what that place is, it's something new."

"But what you need to know is I can go there from anywhere. It just looks like wherever we are currently but its... decrepit and wrong. Very spooky version of the real world. Scary and depressing and screwed up, all foggy and grey", a pause, "You'll know it when you see it", he added, a knowing grin as if he were amused at some private joke lingering on his face for just a bit before his usual, sullen expression returned.

quote:

Why do you oppose your nemesis?

Jaakko shrugged.

"He wants to pull me out of this world to that other, creepy world with nothing but sadness and nightmares in it. I think that is good reason?"

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?

"I already mentioned Scarlet Circle, yes? The guys who study all the occult magics on the hero side so that they don't get surprised by demons and things like that. One of their inner triumvirate, Voidgazer I think his hero name is, has talked to me many times. He sometimes gives me weird things to take to Harmaamaa that I don't understand at all, but I think it's magic research stuff to help him understand what the deal with it is. I don't think he knows yet."

"And sometimes he looks at me weird. And he mutters to himself all the time."

"It's creepy and I don't like it."

"But he helps me and that is good, I think? Not like I really understand any of the theory of what is going on myself."

Voidgazer, Triumvir of the Scarlet Circle

quote:

Why does the team matter to you?

Jaakko gave a sad sort of smile.

"It's nice to be with other people. Can't be with my old friends since Harmaamaa keeps leaking around me on occasion creeping everyone out all the time. But heroes will understand, I think. I hope. They can just go 'ohohoo Gloom I saw phantasm of childhood trauma but it's fine, I get that just happens sometimes in the hero business', right? So that's why I care."

Jaakko was quiet for a bit, averting his perpetually gloomy gaze to the wall, "And is nice to help I guess. Even if the powers are really creepy, they can be used for good things, yes? Would be nice to be relied on people who understand that."

quote:

Hero Name: Gloom
Mask: The Doomed
Look: Man, White, Empty eyes, Unassuming clothing, no costume

Abilities
Sensory and Emotional manipulation
Harmaamaa is different for everyone, and when I look at other people and concentrate I can sort of glimpse into theirs. I think its shaped by their experiences in some way, always filled with references to their own life and things that they would find frightening. Is easy for me to... sort of tug on the veil a bit to impose Harmaamaa's gloomy and creepy influence on their mind. This can be used for many ends, to freak them out, to confuse them, to depress them or to assault their senses with phantasms of their personal traumas.

Psychic constructs
One strange thing I see when looking into other people's Harmaamaa is the monsters. Everyone's are different. It's strange because my own is empty. The only thing there is the occasional glimpses of Kalma in the far distance, or in the corner of my eye, or in flickering reflection. Don't know why that is.

Nevertheless, if I try really hard, I can pull those monsters from Harmaamaa to do fights for me. Usually they are really strong against the person whose Harmaamaa they're from, but don't really care about anyone else that much.

Vitality Fortune absorption
Harmaamaa is a place of nightmares but also of ill fortunes. Nothing good ever, ever happens in there. No happy stories are found in Harmaamaa. If a picture is of a happy couple in the real world, the Harmaamaa version will be corrupted and creepy, with demonic grins or empty eyes or other such things, yes? All stories in Harmaamaa end badly.

Thing is, time also seems to work differently in Harmaamaa. Sometimes I see notes telling of things that have not happened. I see pictures of me with people I haven't met yet. But all of them tell a sad story, or show an undesirable thing. I can see the potential bad outcomes of actions, the possible ill fates of all the peoples I look at when I search Harmaamaa.

With effort I can reach to those ill omens and bad possibilities, and sort of... throw them on top of people. To make their efforts end in tears and tragedy. To make a bad ending happen.

Labels
Freak +1
Danger +1
Savior +1
Superior -1
Mundane +1

Nemesis
You have a nemesis, an epic and powerful enemy representing and embodying your doom. It’s going to take everything you have to take them down in the time you have left.
Who is your nemesis? Kalma
At the end of every session, answer the question: Did you make progress on defeating your nemesis? If the answer is yes, mark potential. If the answer is no, mark your doom track.

Doom
You’re doomed. Your powers may be killing you, or maybe you’re hunted ruthlessly, or maybe you embody an apocalypse. But one way or another, your future is grim. What brings your doom closer? Choose two.
Overexerting yourself
All my powers are based on me manipulating the veil between reality and Harmaamaa, since I am stuck in the middle of both. Why I have this power I do not know, but if I try to make really big things happen I can sort of feel myself sink in deeper to the other side. Is like quicksand yes, the more you struggle the faster you sink?

Facing danger alone
My own Harmaamaa is pretty much empty, as I said. If I am alone when I need to use its powers, it tends to linger more in my perceptions than if I am with other people. And the more it sticks, the harder it gets for me to tell between what is real and what is from there.

Doomsigns
Dark visions: Mark your doom track to have a vision about the situation at hand. After the vision, ask the GM a question; they will answer it honestly.
As I said, time works weirdly in Harmaamaa. Sometimes I see phantasms or hints of how things could or will go wrong, or of some danger, before I could possibly know of either.

Sanctuary

As I said, my own Harmaamaa is my safe place. Well, safe in that no danger can follow unless I bring it with me.

You have a place where you can rest, recover, and reflect upon your powers. Choose and underline three features of your sanctuary:
A scattering of ancient relics
It's weird. My own Harmaamaa is often strangely helpful, at least in hindsight. Often if there is trouble, I can find some mysterious item there that will later prove helpful to deal with the task. I do not know why this is. Is it trying to help me? Is Kalma trying to help me? I don't know, but that's just how it is.

A teleportal
Time works weird in Harmaamaa, but so does space. If I focus hard on some other location, and then walk around Harmaamaa for some time, I somehow end up in that place. And even if we wander for an hour or so in Harmaamaa, no time will have passed in the real world when we come back. It's a bit weird in that way, it seems time in the real world will not move when I am in Harmaamaa, and time in Harmaamaa will not move when I am in the real world. Don't ask why.

A containment system
As I said, time in Harmaamaa does not seem to move when I am not looking. And besides, there is no way out anyways. That's why if there is something that needs containing, we can just leave it in Harmaamaa. Even if we should be a bit careful with that. See, once I left a cone of ice cream so that it wouldn't melt. When I came back though it tasted like iron filings and was an ugly splotchy color so I threw it away. Harmaamaa leaves its mark on things.

Choose and underline two downsides of your sanctuary:
Draws dangerous attention
My Harmaamaa can be very useful, but do not forget that Kalma is always lurking in there. I think he likes it when I go there, taken how he likes to peep on me, and everyone that comes with me.

Tied intricately to your doom
...I think this has been explained a good amount by now.

Moment of Truth
The prickly tingling fear of your doom, always in your head—it holds you back most of the time. But right here, right now? It gives you the confidence to do anything. After all, what’s the worst that could happen? Is it worse than your doom? Do impossible things. Do anything. But mark a doomsign after you’re finished.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, give them Influence over you and spend 1 Team from the pool to clear one box on your doom track.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you and ask if they honestly think there’s hope for you. If they say yes, mark potential or clear one box of your doom track. If they say no, mark a condition or mark your doom track.

We paid a high cost for victory. What was it?

Relationships
You told _______________ all about your doom and the danger you’re in.
You’d love to kiss ________________ before your doom comes.

Influence
These people matter for what you need to do. Give Influence to two of your teammates.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 23, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2018

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Le Loup Blanc, the Deliquent

Le Loup Blanc, the mysterious thief who has plagued the salons and museums of France for centuries, is a mantle passed down from generation to generation, always leaving the rich nervous and the poor cheering. His or her cavalier attitude towards authority has proven a thorn in the side of the forces of law and order as far back as has been recorded, with the latest incarnations giving INTERPOL a major headache, striking in Brazil, Japan, South Africa, and Micronesia, just to name a few.

The latest inheritor, however, seems to have joined up with a group of young teen heroes, after successfully stealing the Motherland Monument from Kiev, and using it to flatten the Munich headquarters of SoySat International, making off with a reported 2.3 billion Euros in platinum via submarine. The statue proceeded to walk back to Kiev. No fatalities were recorded, but it did walk directly through the financial district of Vienna.

---

• How did you get your powers?

Powers? Ah, such a quaint notion. We have traditions, my friend, traditions. I learned from my mother, who learned from her father, who learned from her uncle, who learned... Well, you get the picture.

Most people, they think, ah, he has a bag of tricks, he has a magic wand, he has a special ring? No, no. These are things which I possess. Things which I have built myself. Tools. That which I have improved upon. My mother, she still carries her wand. It is a thin black thing, with a white tip to draw the eye. Mine, as you can see, it is a built up piece of metal, with the extrusion diode at one end, and the transmitter mounted on the other, near the focusing crystal. It glows a pleasant blue.

But the wand? It is nothing. I can build another from the parts found in a prison cell. It is what is inside, what I know, the continuity of self, that is what’s important. I speak, a teleport. I gesture, I am shifted to another place. I twist my ring, I am moved. All chicanery, all legerdemain, all to keep them thinking that the source lies inside something that could be taken away, could be neutralized.

• What do you do for fun?

For fun? I enjoy a sunlit day on the veranda, a cold drink, the company of another beautiful human being who can speak of art and history and culture. But then, inevitably, I grow weary and bored, and the desire to test my mind comes again. What can I locate? What can I acquire? What is so carefully guarded that its host boasts that it can never be taken?

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

As praiseworthy as my achievements are, the journalist Aimee Sartre is perhaps a little too effluvient in her praise. While I will not deny that I am impressive, and that I am a genius second to none, the tone of her writing verges on mockery from its overuse of adverbs, its purple prose, and its reverent style.

• Why do you try to be a hero?

The boredom, my friend, the boredom. There comes a time when one has stolen all that is worth stealing. Alas, it is true. Burned out at age fifteen, and possessed of that great ennui which takes all thieves one day! But so young! The years still stretching further ahead! Ought I waste my time getting jewels from royalty with a flick of my fingers? No. No. This is not a challenge. There is no art, no craft to it. It is like beating a child at football; it is simply not fair. You weigh so much more, your legs are so much longer, you have had so much more experience. If you are not ashamed of yourself, you ought to be. Better to let the jewels rest in their museum, where they can be enjoyed by the masses.

And, more challenging still, to think of all the ways in which one would steal them, then reinforce the security, to keep them safe. Sometimes playing for the other team, it is interesting as well, non? New ideas, new tactics, new approaches... Already the ennui is lifting!

They are in need of my help, badly. They do not think like us master criminals do. But... they don’t all seem to feel that way. All these attempts at reform, and these suggestions about how I should act... Don’t they understand that I’m doing them a favor?

---

quote:

Hero Name: Le Loup Blanc
Mask: Delinquent
Look: French, laughing eyes, spectacular clothing, iconic costume

Abilities
Teleportation
Gadgetry and Hacking

Labels

Danger +0
Freak +1
Savior -1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves
❑ Criminal mind: When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following
questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke ____________?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

❑ Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 24, 2018

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Hero Name: Gael
Playbook: The Transformed
Look: Man, Scottish, strange eyes, liquid flesh, no costume
Abilities: transmuting flesh, extra-dimensional limbs

Labels
Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane 0

Moves

I am not my body
When you take a powerful physical blow, you may roll as if you had two fewer conditions marked. If you do, on a 10+ you must choose to lose control of yourself in a terrible way.

Wish I could be
When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Be the monster
When you frighten, intimidate, or cow others with your monstrous form, roll + Freak. On a hit, they are thrown off and make themselves vulnerable to you, or they flee. On a 10+, choose one. On a 7-9, choose two.
  • you frighten others you had not intended to scare
  • you hurt someone or break something you shouldn’t have
  • you feel like more of a monster; afterward mark a condition (GM’s choice)
On a miss, they react with violence, hatred, and paranoia, and you suffer the brunt of it.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

Moment of Truth
It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head—you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Backstory

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.

___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

The first thing you notice about me - well, I call her Cai. Caillagh Bhéarach, Queen of Winter, the Veiled One, Spectre of Ben Cruachan. My own personal goddess.

It all started, well probably centuries ago. As my grandfather would tell me, as his grandfather told him, back before the Romans, we used to be among the ruling class in Scotland, lords of a place called Ben Garrán. Doesn't exist anymore, I looked it up.

One day, the story goes, a lone old woman arrived at the gates of Ben Garrán seeking refuge from a terrible storm. She had been attacked on the road by wayfarers - they took everything she had and left her with cuts and bruises. My ancestor, Lyell Ross, took her in and fed her, provided a shelter from the storm and poultices to care for her wounds. Then, in the morning, after the storm had passed, she was gone.

The next year, a similar storm arrived, and on the coldest night, the woman appeared again, hungry and ragged. She claimed to have been lost in the woods for a time, unable to find her way back home. Again, Lyell took her in, gave her new clothes, and threw a feast in her honor. Again, the next day, she had disappeared.

This continued for decades. Each year, she would appear in need, and Lyell would care for her. When Lyell passed of old age, his grandson continued the tradition. When he died in a duel with a rival from across the valley, his grandson in turn took over the duties. On and on, my ancestors cared for the mysterious, unaging woman that appeared but one night a year. And again and again, she took and took and then left without a trace.

Eventually, her visits became viewed as a curse. And so, several hundred years B.C., Leod the Brown, Lord of Ben Garrán, chose not to open the door. As the story goes, with each knock on the door, the storm outside grew louder and more violent. The rain fell harder, the wind grew more and more angry. Finally, he could take no more, and threw open the doors. There stood the old woman - but this time, she was angry. As the storm raged, she lifted her crooked finger and stared directly into Leod's soul, and cursed him and his ancestors. A gift given freely should have no ties, she said, and a curse given freely shall have no end.

With that, she disappeared into thin air - and soon a flash flood came and wiped Ben Garrán into the sea. Our brush with lordship was over - destitute, they traveled elsewhere and scraped together what they could.

Of course, all that is ancient history. What does it have to do with me, you ask? Well, everything.

My family has always been cursed - whether or not the old woman was responsible depends on who you asked. But if it's something bad that can happen to you, it's happened to us. Uncle Ben's house disappeared when he was at work one day when a massive sinkhole opened up in his kitchen. Grandma Rose? Got hit by a pizza delivery van crossing the street on her 74th birthday. Cousin Jamie - lost his legs when an industrial feeder went haywire.

My father - Afghanistan. My mother - Stage IV breast cancer lymphoma.

For a while there, it was just me and my grandfather. He and his... loving stories. He was certain that we were cursed - it was all the old woman's fault, he said. I'll never know why I agreed to try to break the curse. Probably just to make him happy on his deathbed.

So, with all of the family's precious valuables in my back pocket (about £100), I followed an old map that my great-great-grandfather had drawn - the way to Ben Garrán. I hitchhiked most the way, walked the rest. Of course, my luck would have it, big storm breaks out sending me running for cover. Just before the wind managed to throw me into the ocean, I find the old hut out near where the map was pointing to. Some lights in the door and a shadow moving inside - hell yeah I'm going to knock.

quote:

Bang. Bang! My knocking on the door rattles the hinges and shakes free a fresh mist of rainwater onto my face. Grunting, I wipe my eyes and shake off my jacket. The narrow overhang shields me from most of the rain, but just barely. I wait a few more seconds - no response. I knock again, this time taking care to shield my face with my other hand. Still no response. What the hell? Somebody was just there...

I turn around and try to look out past the deluge to see if there's any other shelter in sight. Nope - unless you count shelter as a few logs leaning up against a mostly barren birch tree. "gently caress!" I shout, turning again to face the door. Bang! Bang! "Hey! Let me in! I'm going to drown out here!"

A few more seconds pass... then suddenly, *click* the door latch unlocks. The door opens slowly and I rush inside before any more of me can get waterlogged. A few seconds later, my glasses clear and I can see who it is - some old lady in a thick shawl. She looks about as gangly as the old birch tree outside but who the hell am I to judge. I hold out my hand to thank her, "Thanks, ma'am - cats and dogs out there. Sorry for the, uh, profanity." She doesn't seem to mind it so much, though. She's got a big smile on and offers me a drink. "Sure," I say, instantly regretting it when I look into the mug she hands me. It's steaming but it's white... milk?

She looks at me expectedly. I put on a brave grin, and give a quick "Bottoms up!" with a laugh before pouring it into my mouth. I gag almost instantly - the white liquid smells foul and tastes about a billion times worse. Everything starts to blur suddenly - and even though I'm trying to spit whatever it is out, it's not working. In fact... it seems to be... spreading! I look down in horror to see it spread out across my neck, my chest, onto my arms, my legs... I try to scream but I'm choking and everything is turning white. I fall to the floor in agony.

I wake up sometime later in an all-white room. And me - I'm all white too. The pain is gone, the sensation is gone but I'm still here and I'm still covered in whatever it is. "A gift," says a voice nearby - I whirl and it's the old lady. Only... it's not. She's shimmering in and out of existence like some sort of hologram or something like from Star Trek. Behind her... or maybe it's just the real her, is some sort of tree with a face and arms, a hideous monstrosity that fades out and in, shimmering just like she does. "Who... what..." I manage to get out.

"Caillagh Bhéarach, oh child of Lyell," she replies. As she speaks, so does the tree, in a twisted mimicry of... her human form. "A goddess... or so they used to call me. None believe anymore, not really. Teach an entire island how to thrive and this is what I get?" she adds angrily.

Mouth agape, all I can do is stare. She notices, "Oh... child of Lyell. Yes - you believed once too. Had a special little tradition, didn't we? I'd come and bless your hearth - and in return, you shunned me?!" she shouts this time, the face on the tree twisting in agony and rage. I stagger backward... What the gently caress is going on?!

She stops, though, catching herself. The tree fades away a bit as she calms down. "But... all that is ancient history, isn't it? You're... Laine! Hundredth child of the line. A hundred generations between you and Leod," she spits as she says his name. "Yes. You'll do just fine."

She pauses then, as if waiting for me to say something. I stare in horror. She nods, then realizes I'm still too loving scared to speak. She rolls her eyes, "Oh come now, child... all those stories your grandfather told you. Certainly there had to be a bit of truth to them," she says with a lilting shrug. "And... there was! That old woman from Ben Garrán... Shelter from the Storm... Leod pissing it all away..."

She gives me a pointed look, "It's all true. Well... most of it. The important parts," she adds with another shrug.

Somehow, I find my voice. "T-t-that's not w-what... I mean, gently caress the stories! gently caress my ancestors. I don't give a poo poo about my ancestors... What the hell did you do to me!?" I stare out in horror as the hand I point at her is completely white... and as I move it, liquid sort of... seeps off and following in its wake. I pull it back in horror.

She gives a slight frown, "Right... that." She takes a few steps towards me, "Let's call it... penance. Righting Leod's wrong. Lifting the curse." She paces again, "'What the hell' I did to you was make you a cuach. Like the changeling myths of old, but more permanent. A... vessel of sorts. For my greatness. You'll carry me around... and lift the curse! Restore me to my rightful place among the gods of the world!"

Suddenly, it all clicks into place. This loving... goddess or whatever, pissed off from something that happened thousands of years ago, has been pissing on my family ever since, and now wants to use that as an opportunity to... steal my body? I look down again... She already has. I find my voice, "gently caress that! Give me back my body and undo... whatever this is!"

Cai-whatever-she-is rocks back, as if my outburst popped her worldview. The thin veneer is suddenly shattered - the human her is gone, the tree solidifies and whirls on me. In an inhuman voice, it rumbles out as it shakes violently, "Do not mistake my calmness for apathy,
boy! I've seen mountains break, islands sink, civilizations crumble! I will regain my throne - with or without you! And those that oppose me will suffer, much worse than anything you've known.
"

The tree quakes in anger, seemingly growing larger and larger with each ragged breath... then suddenly withers as the rage subsides. Cai... sighs, then speaks again in a regulated tone, "That said, I'm not... unsympathetic to your plight. You're older than I expected - aware of the greater world around you. There's pain there too..." it trails off suddenly, "I can see her... Martha..."

I gasp suddenly at the mention of my mother. Cai twists her head to look at me, studying my response. "What is this phrase you use... medical coma... yes..."

I stare at the being, anger radiating but too stunned to respond. Could she... really help my mother... can she heal her?

As if knowing my thoughts, the tree nods, "Yes, boy. Nothing is impossible for us... at least, it won't be... if you help me. If we can restore my power."

Grimacing, I hold out my hand - white, shimmering, oozing - toward Cai. "Fine. Okay. I'll do it."

"But one condition. We do things my way."

So yeah, I made a deal with the devil - or whatever Cai really is. To say the partnership is equal or even peaceful most times would be a lie - she's always pushing me to go visit ancient ruins somewhere, cleansing them somehow, preparing them for her return - but half the time I get the sense that even she doesn't know what she's doing.

As for me - well, I'm going to use this power for good. When she said a vessel - cuach - she meant it. It's like we share a consciousness, only I can still fully control my body. But when she wants to, she can appear by my side - tree form and all. And, trust me, her punch packs more than just a wallop. Comes in handy, too, because whatever she did to me, this white stuff seems to have replaced my actual body and it's not actually fully corporeal at times, like I'm floating away in a river gripping onto reality through sheer force of will. Half the time, when I go to grab things, my hand just passes right through.

Honestly... I try not to think about it too much. My old life is gone. My new life... a weird hybrid of doing what she wants - a.k.a. visiting ruins and reminiscing about its thousands-years-gone inhabitants - and trying to find a place in the world where I can belong. Of course, I figured Europa would come calling at some point. What's not to like about a boy that can hit with the force of a truck, then absorb bullets since he doesn't even maybe actually have a body.

At least it would have made my grandfather happy.

quote:

Who were you before?

Laine Ross - regular secondary school nobody turned monster boy complete with weird white goo body and personal goddess/tree person that can appear on a whim (her own, of course). I had a friend reach into my body as far as they could once just to see what would happen. They said it felt kind of like pudding and now I can't eat that anymore.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

Cai - ancient deity residing in some hut on my ancestor's ruined castle property that was just waiting for somebody of the family to come back and hijack their body for nefarious purposes. Honestly, she's not that bad in small doses - except for that she seems to really enjoy it when I eat raw fish and it's already hard enough to get a date what with the previously-mentioned weird white goo body.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

Agent Callie Morgan - former secret agent, former super spy, current local chapter leader of Europa. In a sense, my recruiter and current direct supervisor, though she's been hinting something big is up. She usually puts up a cold front but seems to have taken a special interest in me as of late. Likes to talk about how I'm feeling, what Cai's up to - you should see the two of them go at it. Stuff like that. It helps.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?

For one, Cai wouldn't allow it - "Out and about" she's always prompting. For another... I don't know. I can't let this thing - I can't let it end who I am. I know some day it will end, and I don't want to just be an empty shell. I want to be able to stand tall and proud and know that I made a difference.

quote:

Because they see me. Not the weird white goo body me, but the one that is trying to make sense of an incomprehensible situation. At least... I hope that's what they see.

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 27, 2018

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
e: made a new post downthread!

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 27, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Futuria the Harbinger
AKA
Sonya

quote:

• How did you travel from the future to the present day?

The Institute for Temporal Studies sent me! Time travel is dangerous, sure, but it's a great way to learn about history. The ITS usually uses its Temporal Manipulators just to view various past events - which is harder than it sounds! They use known history to try to hunt down specific moments, or even better, things that have been lost. It works better for artwork you can image, rather than books. I mean there's been talk about pulling the books through, even that might be dangerous.

So then why did they send me, a whole human being, you ask? Because they found...something. Evidence somebody - something? someones? - was already actively trying to subert the timeline! Can you imagine? Why would you want to destroy paradise!? Some people, I swear. Anyway, somebody had to go back and stop it, and I volunteered. It just made sense,

quote:

• What keeps you from returning to the future?

Well I haven't found the Meddler yet, have I? Anyway, I'll need a lot of power into my implants to be able to jump back. Where would I get antimatter around here?

quote:

• Why don't you have perfect recollection of the future?

Safety. Playing with time is dangerous! Since nobody had been sent back before (at least not from the ITS), the team thought it was best to kind of...scramble my memory some. There's a backup copy in my neuro-implants, and it'll unlock over time as I need it. It's a strange feeling. I can picture my parents, but I don't know their names. I know my brother's dating an alien, but I don't know what kind. But I can tell you all about growing up in Epsilon Cylinder or getting my first implants.

quote:

• What is the one thing you know for sure you've already changed for the better?

quote:

• Why is this team the one you must join to achieve your mission's goals?

The potential, and what it stands for. Less than a hundred cycles ago this continent tried to destroy itself. Twice! Now it's reached a turning point, learning to worth together and shed all those old horrible human habits that held us back....if it's willing to do it. This team is going to help show the way.

quote:

Real Name: Syntho-Organic Neutralizer of Yesterday's Apocalypse (But you can call her Sonya)
Playbook: The Harbinger

Look: Woman, white, optimistic face, streamlined clothing, sleek costume
Abilities: Teleportation & Portals

Labels
Freak 0
Danger 0
Savior +2
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves:

Tomorrow's Golden Promise
❑ When you comfort or support someone with tales of what comes for them in the days ahead, you may add + Future to the result.

The Light of the Future
Future +2 -1 +0 +1 +2

Future represents how you see the current future of the world. The higher it is, the better the Future you think the world has. The lower it is, the worse off the future you think the world has. Some of your moves will call for you to roll + Future. In those cases, treat it as any other Label.

When you realize the role that someone plays in shaping the future, mark a condition and roll +Future. On a 10+, pick two from the bright list. On a 7-9, pick one from the bright list, and the GM picks one from the dark list. On a miss, the GM picks two from the dark list.

Bright
❑ You know what they're planning
❑ You got exactly what they need
❑ You know what's coming to harm them
❑ You know they have answer you're looking for

Dark
❑ They know all about you, your mission and your vulnerabilities
❑ They are after someone you care about
❑ They have an ally present who is working against your mission (Whether or not they know they are)
❑ They are doing something other than wha thistory has told you to expect

Regardless of outcome, record their name.

Team Moves

When you confess to a teammate the difference between what you thought they would be and what they really are, add a Team to the pool, and ask them whether this pushes your Future towards light or darkness. Shift your Future up or down one as fits their answer, and grant that person Influence over you if they don’t already have it.

When you share a tale of future loss with someone, ask them if they think you have the ability to avert that loss. If they believe you do, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they don’t, mark Guilty and shift one Label up and one Label down (your choice), and shift Future down.

Moment of Truth
This is the moment when you decisively alter the course of your own past, the future of this world. Take one inevitable outcome that’s about to happen right now, and reveal how you’ve already put things in motion to make it change course. You’re in the driver’s seat for the future in this moment, and everything you’ve ever known will be different from here on forward. Of course, this new future you’ve forged might not be the one you’re after, and who knows what might come back from it to put a stop to you...

When our team furst came together...
We averted a disaster from the future’s history books. What was the disaster? What effect do we hope it had on the timeline?

Relationships

____________________ turns away from the hero’s path, according to your history books. You have to prevent that from happening.

You’ve always looked up to ____________________, but it’s too awkward to admit it to them now that you’ve met them in real life. Keep it cool, keep it cool.

Influence
Every member of your team has the power to change the future—your future. Give everyone influence over you.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions for the people with mostly complete apps.

La Hoguera the Bull

Nerve gas canisters, fusion reactors, an assortment of weapons. Cero Miedo really set up you up to be a walking tank didn't they. But what system did they install that seems out of place? Also I understand you've been keeping up with your studies despite everything, that's to be commended but what subject have you found easier to do since you were... changed? and have you found any subjects harder?

Lilel the Outsider

Wow! an actual real life angel I didn't think those were real or that they'd be so adorable. Umm where was I? Oh yes questions. So you said you trained as a Cupid before you trained as a Guardian which role would you prefer to do if you had a choice? Also you're very definitely not from Earth, it must be strange getting used to us humans. What have you found most puzzling about us?

Gloom the Doomed

drat that's a heavy burden to bear kid. I hope we can be of some help to you. But anyway questions. I'm guessing most peoples fears and trauma's are pretty mundane but what's the oddest one you've seen when you've gazed into their Harmaamaa? How are you coping in yourself anyway? There must be some hobby or interest that you have that's keeping you going. What is it and why does it help?

Futuria the Harbinger

Holy poo poo you're from the future! I don't suppose you managed to bring back next weeks winning lottery numbers did you? drat I thought not. Anyway do you have any sort of lead on who your time travelling Menace is? Are they tall or short fat or thin male or female. Anything at all that could help us narrow down the manhunt for them? One more question if you don't mind. What's one thing you've found in the past that's better than what you remember about the future?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Ferrosol posted:

drat that's a heavy burden to bear kid. I hope we can be of some help to you. But anyway questions. I'm guessing most peoples fears and trauma's are pretty mundane but what's the oddest one you've seen when you've gazed into their Harmaamaa?

Jaakko's face stayed largely still at the show of sympathy, sullen frown unmoving except for a slight twitch at the corner of his mouth as he attempted a forced smile. Nevertheless, you get the feeling he appreciated it, deep down.

"Yeh. Sometimes it is rough. Thanks."

A moment of awkward silence. Or perhaps only silence? Jaakko didn't seem to mind it.

"But anyways. Harmaamaa is unique for all as I said. And is true that most fears and traumas are banal, and often are shown so in their Harmaamaa. Often if there are webs or spider monsters, person is afraid of spiders, yes? But it is not always so simple, sometimes Harmaamaa can be more metaphorical. One person had all these ravens in the distance, always leering creepily, yes? Blocking paths and stealing things, looking ready to swarm and attack at any moment. People's heads in pictures replaced by raven heads. That sort of thing. Thought she was scared of birds at first, but on further looking turns out she was for years bullied by this other kid nicknamed raven for black clothes and hair. Depends on person how steeped in mystery their Harmaamaa is", Jaakko looked to the side, face growing grim, "Sometimes you look at something that only seems a little creepy or even... innocuous but then you uncover something really heavy behind it. Not the kind of thing I want to talk about, yes?"

"But what is oddest? Is not such a simple question. What do you mean by oddest? Is it an odd trauma if it is about something other people think would be silly to fear? Had one Harmaamaa where there were walls painted in faded pastels, all cutesy, except there were a lot of insectile monsters that were hyper-detailed, and most foods were chewed up. There were other things too, it is really rare for only one thing to define a person's Harmaamaa, but those were caused by her fear of butterflies when she accidentally got one in her mouth when she was little. Is that odd? To be scared of butterflies? Maybe you think so. But I don't think so. Fear is not so simple, often chance and bad timing and circumstance is more important than some... intrinsic scariness of a thing", Jaakko quieted for a bit, as if in thought, "Is it an odd trauma if it is about something petty? Saw a Harmaamaa where all small objects shattered immediately on touch, because the person's mother had thrown away a small toy they had because they had thrown it at their sister as a child. Was not an expensive or remarkable toy, mother probably did not think much of this punishment. But was important to the child, and it had lingered in their mind, at least subconsciously. As I recall, they tended to hoard a lot of knick-knacks like that later in life, yes? So is that an odd trauma? I don't think so, people are not simple, and even small things can matter a lot. Perhaps you mean odd in the sense that their Harmaamaa is wrapped in mystery. I had one where there were lots of layers, starting with mysteriously locked doors, shifting landscapes, clues moving out of reach, all kinds of cryptic hints, and clouds formed into giant, judging faces that cried lightning. Spent many hours piecing it together. Turns out they were traumatized because they missed a flight once for a variety of reasons and lost their job, yes? Is it odd for a mind to be wrapped to so many knots because of a missed flight? Not in my mind. It is not for you or me to decide how important other people think their experiences are to them."

"So what is an odd trauma? Things you think are odd are not odd to others, things you think are small can be big to them. Things you think should be simple are often not in their minds, but have many angles and emotional aspects you do not even consider as outsider."

Jaakko grimaced. He shook his head.

"It is not a question I think I can answer, because I do not understand the question. Sorry."

Ferrosol posted:

How are you coping in yourself anyway? There must be some hobby or interest that you have that's keeping you going. What is it and why does it help?

"Better than you might think. Thanks for asking. I was very scared at first, yes, but I got used to it soon. Weirdly soon, should be in a psychiatric ward somewhere with powers like this yes", Jaakko gave a dry, short laugh, in an attempt to twist this into gallows humor, "Don't know why that is. Maybe I am hard to scare. Maybe there is some other reason? Maybe my connection sort of... dulls me to the worst of it?" Jaakko shrugged, "But no point to wallow in something you don't know answers to, yes? Just makes you anxious and crazy in the head."

"Really, best way to deal with my condition is to distract myself with other stuff and not think about it too hard. I have a hunting license, hunt a lot with my dad. Pretty popular here in northern Finland. But nowadays the woods can get a bit oppressive when I am around, soo..." Jaakko smiled sadly, "I do other things nowadays. Sometimes I play computer games, even if I'm not super big into them. Not like some of the nerds I used to know", Jaakko chuckled, "And also I play drums in a band. But most of the time I just hang around with my friends, or at least used to. I kinda creep them out now. Maybe I can hang around with my new hero friends in the future? Try new things with them. I know I can be bit of a bummer sometimes even without noticing, but is important for me, yes?"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Forseti, the Outsider

My name is Forseti, called Fosite by some. I come to you in the name of law, of justice, of peace. I am a god, the speaker of laws. And...

And I can't keep this up. I'm sorry, it's a family tradition, the god thing.

Look, I'm not...from around here. Except that I kind of...am. Let me explain.

quote:

Where do you come from?

You come from Europe. I come from the Old Country. Once, you called us gods and heroes. I know Lugh and Merlin...Lugh's okay. Merlin is kind of a dick. My father is Baldr, my uncle is Thor. I have seen my father face Czernobog in battle. Where, you ask, is the Old Country? It is and it was and it will be, half a step behind you and three stars left. It is across the Rainbow Bridge, it is beneath the hill, it is far beyond the moon. The Old Country is a space beyond this space, a place that is like Earth, but is not. We have our own lands - mine, Asgard. Eire. Bereginia. Rus. Other, farther lands.

It is a place of wonders! But, ah, perhaps somewhat behind the times in some ways. Television was new. We didn't have that. We have lots of other stuff, but not that one. In the Old Country, your tales are true - not always fully correct, but true. The Baba Yaga hunts, and my family prepares to defend the world against the dark storms of Ragnarok, and the Tuatha de Danaan rule their emerald isle...that kind of thing.

The Baba Yaga and the Walking House, terrors of Rus and perennial foes of Forseti.

quote:

Why did you come to Earth?

Well, it's kind of...we had a disagreement. See, I am - I'm supposed to be the peacemaker. The negotiator. But I've never really been able to get people to listen. Everyone's set in their ways, in the Old Country. They've - we've - known each other a long time. Makes it really hard to keep Uncle Thor from breaking some heads when Uncle Loki gets in trouble and needs the help, or when the Dagda gets drunk and falls asleep on dad's lawn. I know all our laws and the ways we can make peace, but they never listen to me.

Uncle Thor, in a moment of calm.

So I figured...maybe if I ran off to Earth, I could get them worried, and I could learn something from you humans. I mean, our family's been here before, and Uncle Loki always says we learned a lot about the world from how humans acted. So maybe they'll be worried enough to put off their feuds...and if not, well, maybe I'll learn a better way to get them to listen to me. I'm not about to say it was the best plan, but it's what I've got.

quote:

Why do you want to stay (for now at least)?

Well, I mentioned. But even beyond that...you humans, you...you need me. The me I'm going to become, anyway. You fight as much as my family, but there's so many more of you. So much more to negotiate. They say there's nothing like real world experience to teach you how to do something. So I figure, I get hands-on, I help people out, I make peace...and that'll teach me what I need to know. I can't go back home until I'm ready. Besides, you guys are...interesting. I mean, at home, there's not so many people. Humans are weak and fragile, but you've made such incredible societies, with such complex laws and systems...well.

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

Well, uh, I am kind of my father's only child. And my father is kind of everyone's favorite guy. And...

...okay, yeah, I didn't really think this all through at the time. But I needed to do something, and I'm not going back now. They've accepted it, kind of - they're upset, but Grandfather declared that I must be allowed to make my own mistakes for now. No one ever goes against Grandfather. I just hope that none of my family's enemies get the bright idea to come after me. See, my dad's...invulnerable. Completely. I'm, uh, I'm not. It could be an issue. But it's okay! It's okay. I can handle it. I've been trained.

A fire jotun, fully armored and ready for battle.

quote:

In the abstract? Because we're peacemakers. We help people. But more than that...I don't know anyone here. I'm...I'm not exactly normal. I'm not human at all. But at least with these guys, I feel like I belong here on Earth more. They help me when I get confused by your society.

quote:

Name: Forseti
Look: Man, Strange Body, Glowing Eyes, Flashy Clothing, Your Station's Costume

Abilities: Telepathy and Mind Blasts (Lawspeaking), Heliokinesis

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak +1
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves
Belong In Two Worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll +Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
  • Receive a useful peace of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook (chosen when you spend the hold)
  • Consult your people's knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
  • Clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home.

Not So Different After All: When you talk about home, roll +Freak. On a 10+, chose two. On a 7-9, choose one. During the conversation, you:
  • Confess a flaw of your home: add 1 Team to the pool.
  • Mislead them about your home: take Influence over them.
  • Describe the glories of your home: clear a condition.
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned; tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven't shared with Earthlings before now.

Alien Tech: When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll +Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
  • It works exceptionally well
  • You get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call - in force! - arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they'd probabily like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with omeone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it's meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We didn't trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You've been learning about Earth by spending time with ______.
You have a crush on ______ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
If you're cheerful, you're thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 25, 2018

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

quote:

Liliel the Outsider

Wow! an actual real life angel I didn't think those were real or that they'd be so adorable. Umm where was I? Oh yes questions. So you said you trained as a Cupid before you trained as a Guardian which role would you prefer to do if you had a choice? Also you're very definitely not from Earth, it must be strange getting used to us humans. What have you found most puzzling about us?

"Thank you!" Liliel replies with a smile. "I've received a lot of compliments of that kind. I do wonder though, is looking 'adorable' really something I should strive for when acting as a protector? Hmm..."

Drifting into thoughts for a moment, it takes her a moment to realize you're still around. "Oh, my apologies. I was lost in thought for a moment. Hmm... definitely Cupid. Love is a wonderful thing, is it not? From what I've heard and seen, humans have many phrases dedicated to it. To give the gift of love to humans is to create something wonderful, I'd say. Guardians, on the other hand, protect what was already created. But they can't do anything about the fact said protection is needed in the first place.

She takes a bit longer to think about an answer for the last question. "Hmm... there are many things about humans that I don't quite understand, but so far the most puzzling has been the aggressiveness humans display towards their own species. There are many animals that are territorial or otherwise competitive, but none can match the damage humans have done to their own species on a regular basis. Wars are the most obvious example of this, but even now, where there aren't as many wars, there are still so many ways humans hurt each other." Liliel explains.

"So many conflicts of opinion are needlessly 'solved' with violence. Sometimes, it feels like some humans even enjoy it, and actively seek out new ways or reasons to hurt someone else, physically or mentally. Even children, of all things, partake in this. Wouldn't it make more sense to unite as a species and achieve much greater things? But, instead, you artificially seperate yourselves from each other. Hmm... Maybe this behavior is a byproduct of evolution. As an angel, a lifeform that never partook in the evolutionary process, I simply cannot relate to that line of thinking."

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 29, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Ferrosol posted:

Holy poo poo you're from the future!

It's nice to meet you too!

Ferrosol posted:

I don't suppose you managed to bring back next weeks winning lottery numbers did you?

I don't understand your time's absolute fascination with games of chance. There's no skill to a lottery. What's the point? At least your football or hockey or curling, even if it's incredibly primitive, is a test of skill.

And no, I don't have them. That's...not how it works. Do you think one string of numbers would be preserved for ten thousand cycles? Why? Even with all the academicians at the ITS we've barely started to scratch the surface of human history - let alone the thousands of other species!

Ferrosol posted:

drat I thought not. Anyway do you have any sort of lead on who your time travelling Menace is? Are they tall or short fat or thin male or female. Anything at all that could help us narrow down the manhunt for them?

Oh, yes, the Menace. It's hard to triangulate, really. The Institute could detect minor ripples in time. It's as if....humm....as if you could see the waves of a stone thrown into a lake, but couldn't see the impact. You'd know it was out there, maybe the direction, but you wouldn't really know the color of the rock. I'm in the right time. Earth is the right place. I'm equipped with temporal distortion detectors and some basic temporal shielding - I won't go disappearing if the Menace makes a change. I know that's all vague and less helpful than it should be. This is...well, the first time we've done this.

Ferrosol posted:

One more question if you don't mind. What's one thing you've found in the past that's better than what you remember about the future?

Strange question. I'll have to think about it.

You know what's kind of cool? Earth.

Nono, Earth still exists in my time, it didn't blow up or anything. It's just less...varied. Humans are humans, and Earthers are Earthers, but nobody worries about countries or regions. In this time, I can come around a corner and find a parade for some country nobody remembers in my time, or a restaurant with cuisine from one tiny village in some mountain valley somewhere. It's neat. This Earth is more...detailed.

Platonicsolid fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jan 26, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

La Hoguera the Bull

Nerve gas canisters, fusion reactors, an assortment of weapons. Cero Miedo really set up you up to be a walking tank, didn't they? But what system did they install that seems out of place?

Mm, when you put it like that... well, there's the life function replicating system. Its sole purpose seems to be mitigating some of the factors that otherwise make it evident that I'm a walking weapon. Or, as you said, a walking tank. So, though I don't need to, I can eat, modulate the temperature of a thin layer of synth-flesh to replicate normal human temperatures, and... you know, other normal human things. Whatever those are. I guess that's what separates me from the people who got an even worse lot. If I get the all-clear to be normal again? Well, I could be. At least make a decent attempt at it, I guess. I'd still be all robot-y on the inside, but the average joe on the street wouldn't see it.

That's maybe not as weird as you want though, so... I have an espresso maker in my left index finger? I can only imagine that the lab techs had a lot of free time and not a lot of supervision.

Ferrosol posted:

Also, I understand you've been keeping up with your studies despite everything, that's to be commended but what subject have you found easier to do since you were... changed? and have you found any subjects harder?

Well, anything with calculations is easy. My brain has all sorts of robo-bits now that calculate velocity and all that poo poo, plus they work out equations that I look at. So, theory-wise, it's still a bit of effort to figure out the why of things, but the mechanics? Those are a breeze. And harder subjects... hm. Some of the social sciences. Like that ethics class I'm taking? God, it's so hard. Part of my brain is just like "well, here's the tactically optimal solution" and, uh, let me tell you. It's not exactly a legal solution, let alone an ethical one. Sometimes when I get in a groove writing an essay, I reread what I've got down and I'm maybe suggesting some minor war crimes. Or... not so minor, in one case. Let's just say I didn't pass that assignment.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

More questions!

Scavenger the Beacon

Oh it's you, I don't know how you got on the list but since your here we might as well ask you some questions. As you so helpfully pointed out you've got teammates with incredible powers that can reshape reality or punch through brick walls. What can you offer that they can't? Also I haven't heard all that much about your crime fighting career tell me about how you took down the last villain you fought.

Le Loup Blanc the Delinquent

The White wolf? I thought you were a myth. Give me one good reason why I shouldn't arrest you right now? You're wanted for crimes across half the world after all. And while we're on the subject What did Soysat do that upset you so much your crimes are usually much less visible shall we say?

Gael the Transformed.

I've heard about curses before, but i've never seen such an unusual one. We'll see what we can do to help but I can't make any promises magic is not my area of expertise. How does Cai feel about your work with EUROPA? Does she see it as a distraction or a means to her ends? As for you yourself what would you do with your life if you could somehow free yourself from the curse?

Forseti the Outsider

So you're an actual god, and all the other gods exist as well. Huh. Well personally I think I'll stick with Atheism but whatever. Just a few questions for you if you don't mind. Tell me about one dispute between your people that you did manage to successfully negotiate how did you do it? What's the one thing you want to take home with you if and when you do return to the Old Country?

Circense, the Protege

Oh you're Pulcinella's new sidekick, He was in here the other day but I didn't know he had a sidekick again. What did he tell you about what happened to his last one? Also I'm impressed if you really can keep up with him let alone if you can make your own gadgets. Which gadget are you most proud of creating?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Ferrosol posted:

Forseti the Outsider

So you're an actual god, and all the other gods exist as well. Huh. Well personally I think I'll stick with Atheism but whatever. Just a few questions for you if you don't mind. Tell me about one dispute between your people that you did manage to successfully negotiate how did you do it? What's the one thing you want to take home with you if and when you do return to the Old Country?

...sure, we'll go with that. Gods. I don't really understand the word. You go with what you like - just keep in mind, we exist and don't really care what you believe. Now...as for negotiations...well. My family's always been an argumentative lot. A lot of the people in the Old Country are. It happens, when you get a lot of people like us around. So, this happened when we went to visit Freyja. Freyja is...well, she's not family, but she's close enough, and she's terrifying. One of the best fighters in the world, and she's practically carved from ice. She lives near some giants, including this one called Vala, who...well, who is a very proud man, as giants go. He caught me and my cousin Thrud as we were out hunting, because he envied Thrud's strength. Thrud's much stronger than I am, physically. I mean, she's Thor's daughter and all.

So, Vala demands that Thrud either promise to marry him or serve him before we can go home. Thrud won't have anything to do with it, and she was getting ready for a fight. There's just one problem - Vala's a giant. Full grown. Thrud's not grown up yet, she's even younger than I am. There was no way she could take Vala on in a fair fight. I knew that, and she knew that, but she was ready to fight anyway. So that's when I got involved. I speak the Law - I enforce it. That's...well, that's the main tool I have right now, for negotiations. I invoked the Law of Hospitality, meaning that Vala couldn't fight us unless we started it. That's when we got to negotiating. See, I could tell there was more to this than just Vala wanting to control Thrud. Vala was too clever for that. So by getting him to play a game with Thrud - tafl, it's like chess - I got him talking. It turns out he was actually trying to get some leverage to get Freyja to leave his magic hogs alone, and he thought using Thor could do it. That's why he went for Thor's daughter. He needed those hogs to protect his castle.

Now, having learned that, I used my power to speak in minds to tell Thrud to make a bet on the game. If she won, we could both go free. If she lost, she would be Vala's champion for five days. And then...well, I convinced her to throw the match. See, Vala wasn't wrong. And I wasn't sure Thrud would win. So by losing on purpose, she became his champion - which kept us safe, and let us go back home. There, we explained how things were to Freyja, and I explained what she could get out of it - by protecting the hogs, she could endebt Vala to her and get him to turn against the other jotnar, giving us a spy in their courts. It's not the way we often do things, but...I'm the negotiator. When they listen, I can do things, I can be amazing. I got lucky - Thrud's got a pretty level head, and backed my play. But she's one of the kids, like me. The adults barely listen most of the time - even this time, it was only because we came as champions of Vala, which they had to address.

Now, as for what I'd take back to the Old Country from Earth? That's hard. I mean, I like a lot of the stuff here. TV, movies, the music. But...that's not quite it, you know. What I think I like most, out of everything you've got here that we don't have? Podcasts. I mean, we have books and songs and stories, but this idea that you can just share what you're interested in for the world to hear, or not, or jokes, or movie reviews, or just...anything? I mean, we can do poetry and make things at home, but that's so not the same thing. We can tell stories, we can easily rig up something to make movies if we wanted to - it's just illusions putting on a play, really - but we have nothing like a podcast. My favorite one? Oh, Serial is good, so is Song Crimes, but my favorite's hard to pick. I'm going to say...this week it's 99% Invisible. Last week it was the Dollop. Next week, who knows?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ferrosol posted:

Oh it's you, I don't know how you got on the list but since your here we might as well ask you some questions. As you so helpfully pointed out you've got teammates with incredible powers that can reshape reality or punch through brick walls. What can you offer that they can't?

Yeah cool nice meeting you too. Anyway, I might not have powers but I'm pretty good at understanding people, understanding what's going on, and improvising in all kinds of dangerous situations. There's a reason I got this name - I can find uses for all the various gadgets and artifacts and whatever the super villains like to have on hand. No hero can do everything all the time, we need to work together and my talents can help my more powerful teammates deal with the threats they'll be facing.

And I chose this life. It's fun and all, but in the end I'm here to help people. That's what being a superhero is all about, isn't it?

Ferrosol posted:

Also I haven't heard all that much about your crime fighting career tell me about how you took down the last villain you fought.

Recently Dark Warrior teamed up with Nullifer. Some other heroes I was with didn't listen when I pointed out that the weird guy in the corner seemed to be waiting, and boy were they surprised when suddenly their powers didn't work. Of course I couldn't exactly take on Dark Warrior either but I had lifted some flashbangs from one of his other henchmen earlier and just threw one at them. I ran to Nullifier, dodging Dark Warrior's attacks and just started punching him. He isn't actually that tough which is why he works for other villains. Once he was down the other heroes got their powers back which Dark Warrior wasn't expecting.

I suppose that's not exactly me taking down a villain by myself but I was definitely instrumental to it, and that's pretty much how it always goes. A certain hero might be the one to strike the final blow or figure out how to take down the threat but it was because they were working together and had the help of their teammates to get to the position where it's possible to win.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Ferrosol posted:

Circense, the Protege

Oh you're Pulcinella's new sidekick, He was in here the other day but I didn't know he had a sidekick again. What did he tell you about what happened to his last one?

Circense takes a deep breath. "Colombina, yes. He told me that she stepped out from the superhero life, that it got too hard for her. I've heard a different story.

They got to her boyfriend. They sent her his ear and told her to step down or they'll send the rest of him to her, one piece at a time. That's why we're so paranoid about secret identity, and why not even Pulcinella knows of mine. If we give those monsters a way to get to us, it's over."

quote:

Also I'm impressed if you really can keep up with him let alone if you can make your own gadgets. Which gadget are you most proud of creating?

The young man relaxes the slightest bit. "Oh, thank you. It's nothing much, really, they're tricks more than anything else, but I like to think they give me the edge I need. I've got a retractible stick that helps with balance, and can be used as a combat staff when needed; it's probably the one I end up using the most. Lately I've made a torch that ignites with the flick of a switch, and with another switch it sprays fuel wherever I'm pointing it at. I pretend to put it near my mouth and spit fire. It's not really all that great a weapon, but people get scared when they're at risk of getting burned; it flicks a switch in your lizard brain. It's a great distraction!

Right now I'm working on a ribbon grapple hook, but I'm still working out the kinks. It needs to be much stronger to hold up my weight."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Europe, huh? Europe. Euro P! Euro P!

What?

Yur R P.

It's a little early to be taking swings at the fourth wall, isn't it?

Tout compte fait tu es simplement une autre brique dans le mur?

How are you different from normal humans?

Othering me? Already? Te prends pas la tête, c’est qu’un jeu...

Fiiine, I'm art. Maybe not, like, your high art, your museum art, your snooty fine art, but I'm art. A drawing. A rendering. A sketch. Which breaks all sorts of laws!... but only the physical ones. I bend instead of bust, I stretch instead of snap. All of you see inside-out, I see more... outside-in. So I see a lot more, and I can see how to move within your world like it's art too, between the panels and how to move around the lines in ways you can't. Um. Take my word for it. I may be a little crazy, but you're a little blind. We all have limitations.

They call me a cartoon. I guess. Better than an autotune, right?

Who created you, and why?

Well, geez, look at the post header, bam, question over! That was easy. Next question!

Fiiine.

One day, Dr. Möbius created animatter, a fancy science particle that could bring art to life, and threatened to destroy all of Paris with her "art bomb"! Or, at least, she threatened to make a really big mess when she animated all of the paintings. And when it went off, I was... aliiiive. Of course, the hoity toity Louv-ee would never have me in a place of honor, and so I had to put them in their place! I'd teach Mona Lisa not to be so smug! Venus de Milo, get this "never too late to lourve" t-shirt on, there are children somewhere! Now I'm bapping St. John! Because... he's... a Bap... tist? Anyway, I helped show them a thing or two and get things handled because all of the living art was causing a ruckus, and so was I, but their ruckus was like a double ruckus, so it evens out. But when it was over, somebody was like "Thanks for your help! What was your name?"

Help? Huh? I guess other people were trying to also teach fine art a fine thing or two, but... well... actually they thought I was being a hero. Eh, sure, big shrug, why not both? That's how I met heroes like Équilibre and the rest of the Le Corps des Etoiles, and they taught me how to be a hero. Or how to cause less trouble. Look, um, I'm still a work in progress. Get it? Because I'm art? :ssh:

Who, outside of the team, is your caretaker?

Anyway, I didn't come from the Louvre, but from a manfra being carried around by a kid on a field trip. That's manga + French, or so I'm told by Pénélope Boilet, the artist for "Alice déteste le pays des merveilles", who says she's my creator. "You're not my real mom!", I say, but she just thinks that's funny. But it's factual! But she lets me stay with her, when I stay in one place. She worries about me... which is nice when it's not absolutely demeaning, insert indignant French phrase here! Um. I mean. J'en ai ras le bol!

What about humanity fascinates you the most?

Food! No, music! No, movies! Poppin' culture! The total ability to enjoy live in the light of a faceless, uncaring void that swallows all feelings and accomplishments! But it's like I'm kind of tuned into knowing about a lot of things in art? I don't really know, it's not like I've watched all the games and movies and memes, I just... know. Maybe I'm tapped into a some kind of De Ars Mundi. I don't even know what those words mean! It just comes to mind. I don't know what Jon Snow doesn't know, or why doges are so wow, or who Luke is other than I might be his father? I guess? Je ne sais pas!

But mostly the food.

You guys invented videogames, so I can't hate you guys, except when you beat me at the videogames. Then you're the worst. Just saying, if I destroy the world one day? Remember that it was because slampicking Hanzo is some bullBEEP! Oh, I guess I can't curse. Beep? Beep. Seriously you made waffles, what BEEP would ever what to destroy a world with waffles on it, nobody, that's who!

Because they don't just stare at me, well, anymore, anyway. Well, they still stare at me, but usually because of something I said or did instead of being. They treat me like I'm real. Most people just think I'm a joke or a bother or... fake. Like I'm not as am as they are. And you know. I do make jokes. And I am a bother. Just between me and you. I need to be heard. And they hear me. The real me that is real.

Um, more to come when we get to "when our team first came together"! Look forward to it in a future post! What do I mean by post? Nevermind that!

pre:
Hero Name: White Rabbit			Real Name: Non révélé!

Abilities: Cartoon Physics, Fourth Wall	Playbook: Newborn	

Look: 

Freak +3	Danger +1	Savior +0	Superior +1	Mundane -2

Newborn Moves

Blank Slate: You were created with basic understanding of the world. When
you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down
as a lesson.  Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in
the other two when you've learned those lessons during play.

■  I am a living cartoon.
□  A superhero should _____
□  Always _____
■  Never hurt anybody who hasn't earned it.

When you embody one of your lessons, shift 1 label up and 1 label down,
your choice. If you cause misunderstanding, collateral damage or
unintended consequences, mark potential.

When you reject one of your lessons, reject its influence as if it were
an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that
lesson and write a new one.

When you approach your creator or caretakers with a problem, tell them
what obstacle you face or what you need to achieve, and they will offer
you something you need. The GM chooses one:

●  secret information
●  access to instruments, weapons, or resources
●  a way to temporarily boost or expand your powers
●  official and explicit backing

Not From Around Here: When you act clueless, goofy or confused to get out
of a sticky mundane situation, roll +Freak. On a hit, you create an
opportunity, a distraction, or a plausible excuse. On a 7-9, in addition,
you feel all the weight of playing the clown, and of the people staring at
you. The GM will shift one of your labels up, and one down. 

Regeneration: When you’re taken out, you can trigger an emergency
regeneration process. If you do, your body undergoes an unpredictable
transformation, and in mere moments, you’re back on your feet and ready
to fight. Clear three conditions, and choose three from the list below:

●  Change your gender identity or presentation
●  Change your physical appearance
●  Forget all your lessons 
●  Lose an important memory of a teammate; they lose Influence over you
●  Swap an ability with another one from the Newborn playbook

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them what makes
them proud or happy about the actions they took, and write down a new
Lesson based on it, either filling an empty slot or replacing an existing lession

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response
helps you understand human feelings and problems, mark potential. If their
response confuses or offends you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Moment of Truth: Something snaps into focus, and you’re free of all the
pressure and expectations and doubts. You know what to do, and your body
and powers evolve to give you the strength to see it through. You’re new,
exceptional, amazing. Of course, when something like you appears, there’s
always someone who wants to control it.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

Shadow Stalker the Legacy

Let’s make this quick. I don’t mind being in the spotlight, but my family would consider it in poor taste for me to be there for long. We go by Shadow Stalker, after all. Meant to stay there in the shadows unless necessary.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?
About nine months ago. Or was it ten months now? Time flies when you’re flying across the world. Speaking of, if I seem out of it, I may be a little jetlagged. Just finished visiting family in Germany when I was informed about this interview. Not that I was surprised about the call. Grandfather was never one to be the center of attention, even when he was an active hero, and mother’s much too busy as a senior hero to get involved. So, it only made sense you’d come to me. If anything, I’m rather shocked it took this long. I’ve already undertook a few missions of my own since taking up the mantle, you realize? Shouldn’t the news be more on top of things?

Hm? No, of course I can’t share details. That would defeat the purpose of us operating in secret. Well, ‘secret.’ The days of the Shadow Stalker being a lone vigilante is long over. It does mean we face far less trouble from various international forces and other heroes, but it also makes our job a good deal more challenging. I mean, a spy that announces that a spy is nothing short of ridiculous. Fortunately, we’re damned good.

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?
Greatest, eh? Well, I imagine you have a certain incident in mind when you ask that. After all, just about anyone that is anyone in the heroic community is aware of when my grandfather foiled “Jekyll and Hyde”’s plan to turn the Buckingham Palace into a crater a year ago, though unfortunately the villains managed to escape. Hyde gave my grandfather several retiring injuries on his way out as well. Nasty pair of twins, they are. I’m still rather annoyed about that name of theirs considering the source material was about one individual, but well, there are more important issues.

For the unenlightened, the ‘Jekyll’ brother is the brains of the two, and while I couldn’t say if he’s a practicing doctor or not, there’s no denying that his schemes have caused a great deal of mayhem across the continent. Really, rather than Jekyll, it would be more appropriate to call him ‘Moriarty,’ I’d say. He is a talented manipulator with unnatural foresight, with many speculating the latter to be some sort of power. Whether it is, or if he’s ‘merely’ highly intelligent, the man is a threat.

‘Hyde’ on the other hand is a brute true to his name, though he can and has hid it well when he must. Yes, he may not be at the level of his brother, but Hyde is no fool. Otherwise, I doubt the duo would have continued to go free as long as they have. At least his power is a simple if dangerous one: pure, inhuman strength and endurance at odds with his lanky structure. If he has a limit, I’m afraid I couldn’t say what it is. He might only have brawn, but with his brother working alongside him, that’s all Hyde needs, it seems.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?
Public perception could be better, to put it lightly. The name “Shadow Stalker” is not one most people would associate with heroism, and there has been talk both amongst other heroes whether or not a change in identity would be wise now that we have taken on a more public persona. But in the end, the consensus reached within our family is to let our actions speak louder than words. We have been bearing this title for over a century now. To toss it aside would feel… wrong, I suppose.

That is part of the reason our family has attempted to participate in interviews such as this one more often. To get our name out to the world, and make certain they understand we’re not villains. Because we’re not. The confusion has happened before, in case you’re wondering. Thankfully, most individuals higher up in the various international governments seem to recognize us now at least, so there are usually no issues there.

Usually.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?
I… to be frank, for a long time, I never had much interest in being a hero. Seemed like a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of reward, honestly. I mean, sure, we save lives, help people, and just maybe make the world a better place and all that. But we can’t go on doing that forever, right? I mean, for every villain we put behind bars, there’s another one waiting to take their place. So when I was young, I just… never saw the point. But when I was young, even if I didn’t understand him, I admired my grandfather for what he did. Maybe because I couldn’t understand him.

That’s why seeing him beaten and battered after the incident at Buckingham Palace, realizing he would never walk again, left me… frustrated. At ‘Jekyll and Hyde.’ At the world for letting something like that happen to a good man. Even at my grandfather for getting involved in the first place. At the end of it all, however, I came to a realization: if my grandfather, superpowers and all, could fall like that, what chance did your ordinary citizen have against villains like that? If us heroes gave up, or never bothered in the first place, where would the world be? So, I took his place, or am trying to anyways. It feels somewhat odd to say, considering, but if it wasn’t for what happened to my grandfather, I doubt I’d ever have wanted to take up the name Shadow Stalker.

quote:

My family have always been skilled at infiltration, but when it comes to sealing the deal on capturing villains, we prefer to rely on other heroes to finish the job. Not to say we’re incapable of taking down a criminal on our own, but there’s no shame in admitting there are others with more skill in that aspect than us. With how dangerous they can be to us and society as a whole, there’s no reason to take half-measures when dealing with villains.

Besides, there are a number of… interesting figures among the community. It’s not your average Joe who’s willing to go to bat for the entire world, after all. They make for good company, if nothing else.

Legacy posted:

Legacy Name: Shadow Stalker
Playbook: Legacy
Looks: Man, White, comfortable clothing, unique costume, letter insignia

Abilities:
Shadow control, shadow portals, mind-clouding, shadow cloak stealth, shadow senses

Labels
Danger: -1
Freak: +1
Savior: +2
Superior: +0
Mundane: +1

Moves
Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

I know what I am: Once per scene, when you defend a teammate you can shift Savior up and another Label down in addition to any other benefits from the move, even on a miss. If you do, add 1 Team to the pool.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Europe. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Anna Leibenz (Mother) is still active and prominent in the kingdom.
Hans Leibenz (Grandfather) is retired and quite judgmental.
Ariel Leibenz (Younger Sister) is the next possible member of your legacy.
'Jekyll and Hyde' (Villainous Twin Duo) is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with the White Rabbit.
You trust Tyrfing and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 3, 2018

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

I've heard about curses before, but i've never seen such an unusual one. We'll see what we can do to help but I can't make any promises magic is not my area of expertise.

To be honest, I'm not expecting relief anytime soon. And... if Cai really can heal my mom - well, then it'll be worth it. Not easy... but worth it.

quote:

How does Cai feel about your work with EUROPA? Does she see it as a distraction or a means to her ends?

I suppose she sees it a little of both. Half the time, she's nagging and complaining that I should get back to my real job - digging under rocks somewhere off in the highlands. But then, when I get deployed somewhere really cool, like last month in Germany, she'll come up with "bonus missions" like going to see the Black Forest. I'm still struggling to figure out how much of what she says is real and how much is just a cover for her being stuck in a hut for 3000 years waiting for me to show up... No, Cai, I'm not doubting you... just saying... Hang on, this will take a while...

quote:

As for you yourself what would you do with your life if you could somehow free yourself from the curse?

I guess that answer comes in two flavors.

One - Cai gives up or the curse breaks somehow and I just... go back to being my regular old self. No more heroing so I... just get a job? I don't even know what I'm good at. Maybe running support for a hero or a team or something?

Of course, ideally, there's two - I meets Cai's lengthy demands somehow and she frees me and heals my mom. I'd... really like that. At that point, who cares about the curse? I guess I could still do that hero support stuff but... that's why I'm in this. Family. That's what matters.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Tyrfing, the Nova

My name? Oh, I thought the Norse legend of the magical sword Tyrfing was more well known. Yes, I realize it's been like a thousand years since those old stories were relevant, but when me and my brother were little children we used to love sitting down and listen to our grandmother amaze us with those sagas over and over again. She was a great storyteller and it was something of a family tradition, I guess. Father's side of the family has lived on Iceland for as far as anyone can remember and can trace their ancestry all the way back to the first viking settlers, so they're a bit stuck in their ways.

...I miss those days.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get sidetracked. The legends of Tyrfing tell of a powerful weapon, the most beautiful sword the world had ever seen, with a hilt made out of gold and a blade that shone like fire. It could cut through iron and solid stone just as easily as cloth, and it would never miss its mark. But it also suffered from a terrible curse. Three great evils it would bring about, and each time the blade was drawn, it would take a life. It would end up being the source of many tragedies for those that wielded it...

That's why I picked my name, to serve as a constant reminder to me that my power is both a wonder and a curse. I just hope that I'll be able to wield it in a way where the positives outweigh the negatives. So far, it's not going so great...

quote:

When did you first use your powers?
I'm not sure. I was born with my powers, so that would be before my first memories. What I could do with them then pales in comparison to what I can do now, though. I was mostly limited to creating fire from my hands, staring at boulders until they cracked, making geysers erupt on my command, and other easy stuff like that.

If you're asking about the first time I truly unleashed my powers, well...

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
...It happened when I was seven years old. I was outside playing in the lava fields near our house with my brother Eiríkur, who is a year older than me. I remember starting to feel sick, like I had a burning fever. My skin felt prickly and I started shivering despite feeling like I was about to catch on fire. All I wanted to do was to go back inside, but he had taken my favorite doll and wouldn't give it back and kept teasing me. I felt so angry at him and I... I...

Is this really necessary? Don't you have this in a file somewhere that you can read instead?

Fine, I'll continue...

I sat down and started sobbing. I was scared, I could tell something odd was happening to me. He called me a crybaby and said I couldn't have my doll back until I stopped crying, but he walked up to me anyway. Looking back at it he probably felt sorry, that he had taken it too far and wanted to apologize, to comfort me. But the sudden outburst of searing fire and jagged rocks ensured that he would never get the chance.

I hope that's enough of an answer, because I'm done talking about this.

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?
My grandmother Sigrún, of all people. My parents blamed themselves for what happened to Eiríkur, thinking that if only they had found someone that could train me in my abilities it could have been avoided entirely. But it was just wishful thinking, they know as well as I that no one could have seen it coming... It became too much for me, I couldn't stand to face them or be around them, so I ran away from home...

Grandma was the one who managed to find me. She would not have any of my nonsense, she said, but she also didn't make me go back to my parents, and she took me in. I think my parents were just relieved when they found out. She's a strong woman, in that way only one of your elders can be, but there's also something more to her. She seems to know much more about my powers that she has any right to, and I don't know why. She won't tell me when I ask her about it, either. With her help I've gotten better at controlling my powers, and I owe her a lot for that and everything else she has done for me.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?
Simply because the alternative is worse, so much worse. I don't understand the nature of my power, where it comes from, why it comes to me of all people, but what I do know is that I can't stem the flow. It constantly wells up within me, building pressure until I cannot possibly contain it any longer. When that happens the results are devastating. I erupt like a volcano. The only way I can avoid inevitably destroying everything around me with my power is to find some way to release it bit by bit. That is one of the reasons why I joined EUROPA. It seemed like the best way for me to channel my powers for something good.

quote:

Most people would probably feel uneasy being around a team like ours, but for me it's the opposite. In their company I feel like I can allow myself to let my guard slip, even if just a little. Their judgement isn't as harsh and they're not as fragile, well, physically, as normal people, so I don't have to worry about hurting them with my destructive powers... as much.

quote:

Hero Name: Tyrfing
Mask: The Nova
Look: Woman, white, glowing skin, fashionable clothing, mythological costume.

Abilities
❑ Elemental control

Labels
Danger +1
Freak +3
Savior 0
Superior 0
Mundane -1

Burn Unsheathe:
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions.
Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Flares
Reality storm:
You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly engage a threat using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you spend another burn.
Move:
Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second burn to move to any place you’ve previously been
Elemental awareness:
Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.
Worship:
You put out a tremendous display of your might. Spend 1 burn to awe an audience into silence, respect, and attention when you unleash your powers.

Moment of Truth
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Relationships
You hang out all the time with La Hoguera to blow off steam.
You once hurt Shadow Stalker when you lost control of your powers.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.
If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate.

Sockerbagarn fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 28, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

The White Rabbit the Newborn

You're not getting yellow boxes you know, they're copyrighted by another fourth wall breaking hero? villain? whatever the hell deadpool is these days. Welcome, welcome, nice to meet you. So let's see if I've got this straight your powers are cartoon physics and you claim to be able to see what you call a "dead gay comedy forum" where "goons" manipulate us all. How are either of those useful for dealing with villains? Also I understand giving your umm animated origins you've had some rather creepy fans how did you deal with the last group to approach you?

I'm actually a huge fan of your grandfather, He inspired me to join EUROPA in the first place, do you think you can get me his autograph? Anyway enough about him let's talk about you. I've heard varying accounts of your last mission about how it very nearly turned into a disaster. What did you do to salvage it? If you encountered Jekyll and Hyde in the field would you be able to keep your cool or would we have to worry about you flying off the handle?

Tyfing the Nova

Oh, well you certainly have the powers to be a hero. The question is do you have the guts and the discipline and the willpower to be one. We'll have to see. Tell me which hero is the one that inspires you most and why? And to return to your powers which element do you have the easiest time controlling and which is the hardest for you to control?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

quote:

Tyrfing the Nova

Oh, well you certainly have the powers to be a hero. The question is do you have the guts and the discipline and the willpower to be one. We'll have to see.
Uh-huh. I suppose we will.

quote:

Tell me which hero is the one that inspires you most and why?
Definitely the Maltese Raptor. No one else even comes close to her, I've admired her for as far as I can remember. And can you blame me? How many times has she averted total disaster from happening to the Mediterranean now? I've honestly lost count. I mean, it was only last week that she blew the Sludge Emperor along with his entire undersea facility in the Calypso Deep out of the water! Her cyclone powers are amazing! And the precision and grace at which she uses them... I'm coming off a bit like one of those rabid fangirls, aren't I. It's just that, well... She's everything I hope I can be one day. She's so powerful, but she never inadvertently hurts anyone.

quote:

And to return to your powers which element do you have the easiest time controlling and which is the hardest for you to control?
I've always felt that there's something special about fire. It might be a bit weird, but I can sit and stare deeply into a fire for hours at a time, just listening to the cracks and pops of the firewood as it is slowly consumed by the flame, while enjoying the heat radiating on my skin. But I also have a strong connection to earth. By concentrating enough I can extend my senses into the Earth's crust and sense even the slightest tremors in a radius around me. There's no other feeling quite like it. I'd say I can control both fire and earth equally well, and even more so when the two elements intersect. I chose my words deliberately when I said my powers like to erupt like a volcano if I'm not careful. My home country has numerous volcanic systems and I feel something of a kinship with them.

As for the remaining traditional elements, I'm somewhat skilled at controlling water, but mostly when it's either frozen or close to boiling. Air is definitely the hardest, and I avoid wielding it as much as possible. My grandma keeps forcing me to practice it, though. It's a pain. Don't tell her that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Ferrosol posted:

You're not getting yellow boxes you know, they're copyrighted by another fourth wall breaking hero? villain? whatever the hell deadpool is these days.

"Dead... who? I think those boxes have jaundice, gross. I'd turn green but um, that'd be a different copyright dare. That's right, greenie, I know you think you're better than us since you became a serious character, but I know where you grew up, Walters."

Ferrosol posted:

So let's see if I've got this straight your powers are cartoon physics and you claim to be able to see what you call a "dead gay comedy forum" where "goons" manipulate us all. How are either of those useful for dealing with villains?

"Vous êtes folle ou quoi! Don't poke the goony bear! It seems cute at first, but... it just goes all stupid newbie on you. But you want a demonstration. Like... see this bucket of water? Slam it over a villain's head, remove the bucket, water stays! What, you say the water should just fall? That's not how sight gags work, y'know. Or I could pull a cord like this, and - look out! Whew, wouldn't want that to fall on you. Or moustache and a badge, and suddenly I'm a police officer! What, you don't think so? Most people fall for it..."

"And I can move between panels or posts, or sometimes I know a thing or two about how the real-er world works. I mean, not to go tvtropes, but comics have patterns you can use if you know how... but you can't use them too much. Otherwise, you risk becoming what you're parodying... ah.. homaging? Homages are more polite. But I can know how things work from the outside, which means I know when big events are happening, or what a playbook is, sometimes notice really dopey secret identities... stuff like that. Glasses and a spit-curl doesn't cut it with me. You gotta work at your narrative justifications! You can't just be sloppy because we're fictional, buster!"

Ferrosol posted:

Also I understand giving your umm animated origins you've had some rather creepy fans how did you deal with the last group to approach you?

"As for fans... um... are we really going there? I didn't... is that in the script? Huh."

Rabbit holds up a copy of the script that just says in big, bold letters across a whole page: YEP, WE'RE GOING THERE.

"Hey it's good to meet you did you know I'm having a twitter contest and if you untweet this neat pic of my feet you can win a prize, guys! Let's see what you won. It's a trip to Guadalupe! Taxi! Vous êtes libre? Très bien. Oh, don't worry, I drive taxis this crazy all the time, don't worry. Hurry, hurry, you'll miss your boat! Here's your tickets, and your luggage, and a notification of a protection order signed by a judge. Careful - and good luck on your trip! I Tu vas me manquer aussi mais pas vraiment! Gua-da-lu-pe! Bon voyage!"

"... or if I don't have two shakes of a lamb's tail-"

Rabbit produces a card that simply says I have Influence over my team's Bull.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

quote:

I'm actually a huge fan of your grandfather, He inspired me to join EUROPA in the first place, do you think you can get me his autograph?

Well, I’m glad to hear that grandfather has fans other than myself. He’s not what I would consider the most approachable sort, and that was before his injuries left him rather antsy, shall we say. As for an autograph, I can certainly try, though I wouldn’t get my hopes up. As I said, Grandfather has never cared to be the center of attention. He’s loosened up somewhat in that regard since retiring from heroic affairs, but he’s still not the height of personability.

quote:

Anyway enough about him let's talk about you. I've heard varying accounts of your last mission about how it very nearly turned into a disaster. What did you do to salvage it?

Ah. Yes, um, that is a rather blunt way of putting it, but you aren’t wrong. I will admit that I had grown quite complacent when it comes to stealth, and that it almost led to failure right from the beginning. To be able to shroud yourself in shadow, plus warping from one dark corner to another in but a few seconds, it is rare that a member of my legacy is noticed when we do not want to be. But I am inexperienced. Still am, really. So I did not shroud myself as thoroughly as I could or should have when I was investigating the whereabouts of Darkwraith. A villain in the same vein of powers as my own, if you are unaware. A recent arrival on the criminal scene, I doubt he has even a year on me in this field of ‘work.’ But when my inexperienced self unexpectedly came across the villain as I was approaching one of his hideouts, well, he nearly detected me. He might have but a year on me, but that is enough to recognize the signs of another who can manipulate shadows.

So, I acted. Very thoughtlessly, admittedly. When I realized he had begun to notice my presence, I panicked. I was not prepared for a capture operation, but the warehouse we were in was filled with a variety of tools and instruments. I hurled, a wrench or a crowbar or something else that was laying nearby, that barely caught him before he warped through the shadows. Going through the darkness requires a great deal of mental concentration, you see, unless we want to end up somewhere we would much rather not. Pain is a simple but effective way of preventing said concentration. My mother and grandfather can warp through the pain, but neither I nor Darkwraith have that level of fortitude. Anyhow, with the villain down, I, er, gave him a few stomps before he could recover. It was not exactly sporting, but it got the job done. I sent in a call to some other heroes that were in the city while making sure Darkwraith was in no state to warp, and that was that.

quote:

If you encountered Jekyll and Hyde in the field would you be able to keep your cool or would we have to worry about you flying off the handle?

I have asked myself that question more than once since I have taken up the mantle of Shadow Stalker. And the truth is, I don’t know. Just a year ago, I could never imagine myself being a hero. Yet here I am now, standing here before you and the world. So I can’t say I know myself all that well, honestly. But as your question deserves an answer, I will say this. Of my many selfish wishes as a person, seeing Jekyll and Hyde brought to justice is high on the list, and I will do whatever it takes to see them behind bars. Whether that means cooperating with the team or… elsewise.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Glacia the Star

So glad you could finally join us. If we can't count on you to turn up to your interview on time how can we trust you'll be reliable in the field. But still since you are here we might as well get this over with. What's the most impressive thing you've done with your ice powers? Also I heard you got into a very public feud with another Hero, who was it and what was the argument about?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ferrosol posted:

Glacia the Star
So glad you could finally join us. If we can't count on you to turn up to your interview on time how can we trust you'll be reliable in the field. But still since you are here we might as well get this over with.

"Hey, I had something important I needed to do, alright? Lay off me," And by "important" she means nursing the huge hangover she woke up with this morning, "And as for me being reliable, who's the one who shows up first whenever there's signs of danger? That's right; it's me. I've never slacked off on being a hero even once, so you don't have to worry about how 'reliable' I am."

quote:

What's the most impressive thing you've done with your ice powers?

"Most impressive? Hm..." Glacia crosses her arms, and leans back on her chair, "I guess it was the time I fought Kamitachi. She's like this big-named super-powered mercenary with a big samurai thing going on. She's even got a cursed blade, too. There was a huge crowd around at the time, so I decided to put on a little 'show' for everybody around us. It wasn't enough for me to take her down. Nah, I had to take her down in style, so I used my powers to create the perfect 'stage' for our fight. I filled the area around us with ice and snow, and turned the whole place into the same kind of snowy battlefield you'd see in Samurai movies, and then I created a suit of armor made of ice for myself, and a ice katana. It was pretty sweet, and I don't know how I did it, but I somehow managed to make it snow, too."

"The thing is, doing something like that takes a lot out of me. I ended up winning our little 'duel,' but barely. I realize there's no real point to doing anything like that, but hell, why not have a little fun with it? And according to Silvia, people were loving the whole samurai battle thing we had going on. The video of our fight's got almost 5 million views by now, so I'd say it was worth all the strain I put into creating that 'stage' for us."

quote:

Also I heard you got into a very public feud with another Hero, who was it and what was the argument about?

"Oh, right. Her. Do y'wanna know who wasn't impressed by my big stunt? It's Nova Star. She's one of those heroes who focus on gadgets and poo poo, and she's never been my biggest fan, and when she saw what I did to the park, she was pissed, and she started going off on me, calling me irresponsible, dangerous, and a whole bunch of other things I never bothered to remember. I was all ready to blow her off and leave, until she said something she shouldn't have. "They all call you a hero, but the way I see it, you're nothing but a troublemaker, just like your father!'"

"...And that's what set me off. I blasted her away, and we were all ready to duke it out against each other, but the other heroes who were around broke up the fight before it even started."

"Screw her. I don't care what she thinks, I'm nothing like my dad, and it's not like I need her approval anyways. I'm the big star around here, not her."

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

It's time for the hard part. While there were some amazing apps I could only take six of you and it was a very hard choice. Still without further ado and in no particular order.

La Hoguera, the Bull Played by Tricky
Shadowstalker the Legacy Played by TheFireMagi
White Rabbit the Newborn Played by Alien Rope Burn
Tyrfing, the Nova Played by Sockerbagarn
Glacia the Star Played by Tardzilla
Liliel the Outsider Played by Yami Fenrir

Congratulations to everyone who made it in and commiserations to everyone who didn't I hope there will be more mask games along soon.

For the lucky few the influence spreadsheet is here so get sorting your relationships and put them up there if you would please.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 28, 2018

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

also sorry to double post but start thinking about answers for your questions.

For La Hoguera posted:

1. We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

for Tyrfing posted:

2. We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

for White Rabbit posted:

3. They found you, and you saw the outside world for the first time and helped in the fight. Where and how did they find you? Which one of them gave you your first nickname?

for Liliel posted:

4. We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

for Shadowstalker posted:

5. All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

For Glacia posted:

6.We, as a team, attracted the attention of a major media outlet , thanks to our efforts. Who are they? Why do they support us?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'm making an opinion post and you can't stop me!

quote:

La Hoguera, the Bull

I have to admit, Isabel is a little bit unsettling to look at. Angels can see the life force of living beings innately, and that makes me all too aware of just how little *Isabel* is left. To reverse something like this is beyond my healing abilities.

However, her strength and durability can't be denied - it would make my job so much easier if only I can convince her to assist me. Other than that, she is very smart as well, and has in fact been teaching me about earth! She showed me what I have come to see as humanity's greatest invention: Coffee.

Personal notes: Where do I even hit her with a cupid arrow...? There's got to be an opening somewhere... Or maybe conjure a stronger arrow?

quote:

Glacia, the Star

Glacia is a strange person. The guidebook describes her as a 'teenage rebel', a young human doing acts against the culturual norm because the see it as too restricting, but usually those are against the law. Glacia, on the other hand, is the daughter of an apparently notorious supervillain (I have not been seen, or heard, of an Ice Master, yet, but it sounds like someone that would work in an ice cube factory), but instead chose to become a hero. I find that very admirable.

Isabel showed me an interactive documentary called 'Skyrim' a while ago, and it had a quote I think applies to her: "What is better, to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" While I wouldn't say Glacia is evil in any way, she's certainly overcome the influences of her father.

As a side note, I have not felt secure in asking the question yet, but her lack of pants perplexes me. Is this perhaps part of her culture?

Personal notes: Everytime I try to speak with her, my face feels warm and my voice (and vocabulary) starts to fail me. Is this perhaps a power of hers? Have to investigate further. Perhaps if ask for one of these 'automatic graphs'?

quote:

White Rabbit, the Newborn

I don't understand.

No, seriously, I do not understand. Everytime I try to look up White Rabbit in my guidebook, I only get information on albino lagomorphs.If I try to look up The White Rabbit, the entire page is a giant question mark. And then White Rabbit usually appears out of nowhere.

In addition, I am fairly certain her blatant disregard for the laws of physics is an actual crime in one of the celestial courts of law. Or maybe that doesn't apply to if it's natural to the life form?

What is she...?!

Personal notes: I'm almost certainly going to be ordered to write reports on this newly discovered lifeform, so I'm going to pre-emptively make notes on White Rabbit.

quote:

He seems odd. Unlike most heroes, he prefers to do things quietly, and stealthily, a type of strategy that seems more akin to a villain. When I first heard about him and his behavior, I mistook him for a type of jumping spider.

Unlike Glacia, he's one to follow in the footsteps of their forefathers - which generally is a fairly wise thing to do. It allows one to make the most of the experience of those that came before you. His control over shadows is also very intriguing - but most certainly would have gotten him burnt as a witch in earlier times.

Personal notes: I don't understand why people pretend they can't see him so often. Could it be that humans have really bad eyesight? Or is it just bad manners to notify someone attempting to hide that they are, in fact, visible?

quote:

Tyrfing, the Nova

Katla is my charge. I was incredibly worried when I first came to her, given how fragile humans are. Thankfully, I appear to have gotten a rather easy task - Katla is incredibly powerful, and quite durable, due to her superhuman powers. However, it seems she doesn't quite have her power under control, and sometimes damages herself with it. Still, nothing I can't fix with my healing - not that any of this means I should become careless.

In addition to sneak attacks or simple accidents, I am also a bit worried about her mental state. She appears to be quite troubled by what happened to her brother, and her powers, as a whole. While I don't fully understand human psychology, I will still do my best to try and help. If only I could convince her to wearsome armor. I mean, her entire stomach area is exposed! That is simply irresponsible...

Personal notes: I cannot believe saying that I can cook was all that was needed for Katla to accept me into her home. I was led to believe that cooking was a vital skill in human society. Why do so many people seem to not have it?

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

Here's mine!

quote:

La Hoguera, the Bull
Isabel... She never ceases to impress me. If I was in her position I don't think I would've been able to bounce back after what Cero Miedo did to her, let alone emerge from it as well as she did. It doesn't feel right to compare the things that happened to us, but in a way we both had dangerous powers thrust onto us at no choice of our own. It's just that, well... Look at me! It's been over a decade and I'm still a mess! Meanwhile, it's only been a few months since she was kidnapped and had her entire body replaced with a weaponized cybernetic one, and she's already going strong.

She's really great to hang out with, and as an added bonus she's both fire and shrapnel proof.

quote:

Shadowstalker, the Legacy
Ein seems to be under a lot of pressure. Coming from a long line of heroes and all I'm sure there are a lot of expectations placed on him, but at the same time I can't help but think it must be nice to have it all figured out already. At least it seems like he does? Either way, I'm glad that he's on the team, he seems to care about what we do and treat it seriously.

It was really flattering that he would confide in me and tell me a secret about his lineage, especially so seeing how well known those that bear the name Shadow Stalker are for their secrecy. And how did I repay him for trusting me? Why, give him a nasty burn when my powers flared out, of course! I feel horrible, I hope he'll forgive me...

quote:

White Rabbit, the Newborn
I don't even. How am I supposed to relate to her? She's absolute nonsense! Okay, I admit I enjoy her antics every now and then, but we're doing important work, I'd prefer if she took it more seriously.

quote:

Glacia, the Star
Ah, Glacia - I might as well use her stage name, right? Where do I begin. She's shallow, self-important, irresponsible and way too proud of her little ice tricks. That she gets all the attention she does baffles me, I have a hard time thinking of anyone less deserving of it. I'm sure she'd ditch the team in a heartbeat if she thought that would improve her popularity.

quote:

Liliel, the Outsider
So apparently I have a guardian angel? A real, sent from Heaven, which apparently also exists, guardian angel? Me? That... that has to be a joke, right? And not one I find very amusing. It's the people close to me that need protection the most, not me. Where was my brother's guardian angel??? Maybe Liliel was sent to keep an eye on me and judge me. No... I don't know. I honestly don't know what to make of this, or how to feel about her, it's so weird!

I guess I don't really mind her presence though, she's very sweet and pretty useful to have around. For example, she's a great cook! I mean, I enjoy cooking too, it's fun... It's just that I always end up burning my food each time I try, so I kinda gave up on it after a while and stuck to microwave dinners ever since. I really hate microwave dinners. It's so nice to eat real food again!

She seriously needs to back off and stop trying to tell me how to dress though! I think she'd have me wear a full suit of medieval knight armor if I let her. Well, that's not going to happen. I like my costume, both the way it looks and how it lets me feel the elements all around me.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

La Hoguera

Hey, scary. Dangerous. A living weapon. Threat or menace.

But don’t listen to me. No, seriously, don’t, she’s got a good head on her shoulders. That… may be all she has left, but look at the bright side! No, seriously, she’s pretty bright, but that’s why I pay attention. And maybe I can help her feel better, since I don’t exactly stay hurt in the same way. I don’t want to get hurt, don’t go getting any weird ideas! I just puff up my chest and say, “It’s okay if I get exploded today!”

Please don't boom, though.

Glacia

I thought she'd be nicer.

Niiicer. Tu n’as pas à te creuser la tête.

Anyway, she's cool. I mean, I thought she'd be more chill, but she always seems ready to snap... don't say that kind of thing around her, she doesn't warm to it. I mean, I think reminding her of her D A D makes her real hot under the collar. I dunno. At least she has a dad... But those are just my frost impressions, snow you know, based on what I thaw-

help i think i'm stuck this way

Lilliel

I, um, I think she took the wrong turn at the pearlies, don't you? Got pushed out of the nest too soon? Mmm, I shouldn't say the word "fell", though. I thought eternity would have better schools, anyway. Well, she means well! I don't know why something in me wants me to make it hard on her sometimes. Devil on my shoulder, maybe? Oh, sup, devil! You're right, I think it's easier if she learns about tough folks from me, though. Otherwise she's going to really get hurt. What, no, you're awful! But... maybe right?

And if you think I'm tough on her, if somebody messes with her, I'll show them tough I can be!... I will go full Clampett, I swear.

Shadow Stalker

Together, we stalk the night with vengeance and... okay, he's not accepting me as a partner in shade. That's okay. He's not so spooky after you see his costume with breakfast on it (seriously it wasn't me). Still, maybe I can help! You know, around the borders. Make spooky sounds. Cause stuff to crash at the right time. Just help him work on his routine.

It is just a routine, right? He's not serious, right? It's just a scam for the crooks, the cowardly, the superstitious. Let's do some masked avenging!

Tyrfing

Ah, La Soufrière... so, um, she definitely summons lava, also drama. I have a fire extinguisher for the first but I don't know what puts out the other one. Maybe a drama extinguisher? I should put in an order to la société Acme. I don't know, I don't know, I don't know where I'm-a gonna go.

I really wish I could just put her out. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Glacia +Influence

Yeah, she comes off as icy as her name suggests, but she's... She's got a lot in common with me. Not being a killer cyborg or anything, no, but having her life shaped by forces that she couldn't control. Can you blame her for being a bit distant? I can't. As much as she's been there for me, I'll be there for her. Oh! And her music is really, really good. I picked up her first album after that whole mess in France and... maybe I stayed up way late listening to it on repeat. The lyrics really resonated.

...Is it weird if I ask her to sign it? It's probably weird, huh.

Lilliel

Yeah, so we have our very own guardian angel. Or, I guess, Tyrfing does. Figures, doesn't it? I go to church every Sunday, live a good life, and not only do I get turned into this... Tyrfing gets the spiritual protector. Though, uh, having seen her in action... Maybe that's not a good thing. Lilliel has more than a few screws loose and keeps pinging me with those dumb arrows when she thinks I'm not paying attention. It's all I can do to give her a few pointers to go from ultra-weirdo to, like, regular weirdo.

Shadow Stalker +Influence

Nobody's weirded out by the guy that, as a point of pride, uses their superpowers to be some sort of James Bond superspy? Okay, sure, maybe that's not their bag anymore, but let's just say if I still had much modesty to protect, I'd be a little concerned. Plus he's so santimonious. "Oh no, I can't believe you needed to use that much power to beat up the person that was giving us all a run for our money! Think of all the damage you could have done!" Really? Did I blow up the Eiffel Tower? Nope. Did Tyrfing get the talk? Nope.

I swear, I'm going to get him to relax and take that stick out of his rear end if it's the last thing I do.

Tyrfing

Katla's cool. We get along just fine. I mean, yeah, maybe she could blow up and ruin someone's day... but it's not like I don't get that. More than a few of us are working with 'gifts' that we'd rather not have. Besides! If we keep her happy, healthy, and sane? No reason to think she'll erupt. Plus, you know, it's pretty nice having a friend. Not a lot of those since my makeover.

White Rabbit

Wow. Wow. I mean, sure, I liked cartoons about as much as everyone when I was growing up, but... she is a lot to handle. In a well-meaning, overly-caffinated sort of way. I appreciate that she thinks I'm an expert on, y'know, everything. I'm not. I was a good student, yes, but that just means I knew how much I didn't know. But for her? I think I can fake it.

---

quote:

1. We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?

Nægling. I'll admit I don't have a firm grasp of the more mystical and mythological side of villainy, particularly given that my prior experiences have been more technologically focused, but there's certainly no shortage of inspiration nor ancient myths for horrors to step forth from when it comes to Europe. For her specifically... If my subsequent research is to be believed, I think she is — or claims to be, at least — Grendel's sister. Yeah, the same Grendel that Beowulf was supposed to have taken down. I can certainly say this: she was a powerhouse. It took the lot of us pulling together, plus a fair bit of luck, to send her packing.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2018

• Locked thread