Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Is the time eater supposed to be from the same sect as the watcher?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think there's any confirmation but it seems highly likely. There's that dialogue, they have similar patterns on their robes and the Watcher Sensory Stone memory says this:

quote:

Watch. Remember. Live. This is the Watcher's mission.

Recently, one of your peers had stopped reporting on their assignment: a Spire of unknown origin.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Beat A20 heart!

IC is probably my favourite class overall, there's a good variety of powerful things you can do to win even at A20. FNP is probably the most reliable way to fight the heart though, and Juggernaut is the ideal way to convert its defense into damage.

Guess I'll try and win with the other classes. Maybe I'll even do it without rerolling into the best boss relic in the game...

i think that feel no pain/corruption/barricade/shield slam is probably my favorite win condition, last time i ran this deck i also got charons ashes as my first relic and i ended up rolling the heart in possibly my easiest win ever.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

After playing bunch on Switch I double dipped on steam during the sale to play mods and use Steam Link. I picked up Downfall and a couple of the Hollow Knight mods. I’m blown away how many custom classes there are, how can people come up with that many new cards

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kiranamos posted:

After playing bunch on Switch I double dipped on steam during the sale to play mods and use Steam Link. I picked up Downfall and a couple of the Hollow Knight mods. I’m blown away how many custom classes there are, how can people come up with that many new cards

Coming up with new cards is easy. Making them balanced is hard. Most class mods are there to let people steamroll the game with their anime waifu. Downfall and - after many revisions - the Hermit are the only good ones I've seen, and even then Hermit is much stronger than average and Downfall classes are balanced for their own game mode.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah, it's taken how long to get the StS base classes balanced? even after all that you still have Watcher being overtuned, and certain cards just being largely bad

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

yeah, it's taken how long to get the StS base classes balanced? even after all that you still have Watcher being overtuned, and certain cards just being largely bad

Claaaaassssshhhh :argh:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shine posted:

Claaaaassssshhhh :argh:

Lifecoach had a Clash in a Barricade/exhaust deck the other day and gave a great description of it: "Usually this card is complete garbage, but in our deck it is just garbage".

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

It's fine having some bad cards, because otherwise the events/boss relics that let you transform cards would be way too OP. The issue is when there's too many bad cards (Silent) or too many broken ones (Watcher).

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
A little late to the party, but I got this game about a week ago and I'm loving it.

I've been focusing on Ironclad, and I'm yet to beat the game. I came close early on and it seems like I'm getting worse the more I play.

I'm consistently reaching the 2nd floor boss with 4 units of energy. Luck of the draw usually forces me down a path of either accumulating block with barricade, but still dying a slow death in the 2nd boss battle due to inability to cause damage. Or, I can ramp up strength but not fast enough to kill bosses before the high damage attacks start coming.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
In both cases it sounds like your decks are too slow and inconsistent - try adding fewer cards to them. It's easy to see cards which look great on paper but then your first 3 hands of a fight don't do anything and you take a bunch of unnecessary damage, forcing you to use more campfires to heal instead of upgrade. A lot of StS is figuring out how to minimize incoming damage in non-boss fights so you can focus on getting stronger instead of just surviving.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I'm definitely skipping a lot of draws.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can you give us some screenshots of past runs? You can find them under Statistics -> Run History.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

KonvexKonkav posted:

It's fine having some bad cards, because otherwise the events/boss relics that let you transform cards would be way too OP. The issue is when there's too many bad cards (Silent) or too many broken ones (Watcher).

making the game worse does not, in fact, make it better

As long as situational cards exist, transform is not OP compared to card removal. They don't even have to be particularly situational, just enough that you wouldn't necessarily want them watering your deck down.

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'm definitely skipping a lot of draws.

How many is "a lot"? It's definitely possible to be too picky too, you do generally want to bulk up your deck to some extent. Obviously removing Strikes and Defends is good because then your good cards come up more often, but since basically any card you pick up is more powerful than a Strike or Defend every card you add improves the odds of getting non-starter cards in your draw.

You also want to keep a good spread of card costs in your deck. If you focus too much on cheap cards you will wind up having to spend a lot of energy on random Strike/Defend, or worse, not even being able to spend all your energy every turn. If you focus too much on expensive cards you will often have to choose between conflicting big cards and will find yourself e.g. having to choose between defending and buffing or attacking.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 28, 2020

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Can you give us some screenshots of past runs? You can find them under Statistics -> Run History.

I'll grab one next time I have a run that's indicative of what I'm talking about.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a good modding guide out there somewhere? I want to make one so that swapping for Pandora's Box is a always a Neow option.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Pocket Billiards posted:

I'll grab one next time I have a run that's indicative of what I'm talking about.
I used to struggle with Ironclad until I realised I was prioritising defence way too much. Sounds like you might be doing something similar? The combination of Burning Blood and Ironclad's powerful attacks mean you get often get away with much less block than you think. Killing stuff is the best way to minimise incoming damage, after all.

Don't overdo the strength scaling either. One or two cards is usually all you need.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It's a possibility. I'm definitely playing more aggressive than I used to. I had to change up and be less defensive to be able to consistently beat the 3 cultists you encounter in Act II.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

act 2 hallway fights are super hard and you should be taking as many question mark rooms as possible during that act, partially because the hallway fights are hard and partially because act 2 has the best events in the game

some generic deck building advice without seeing your deck, and there are obviously exceptions to this, but generally speaking the second copy of any specific card is significantly less good than the first copy.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

That's a nice gimmick you've got there, Time Eater. It would be a shame if I were to, say, outgimmick your gimmick...

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

KonvexKonkav posted:

I still haven't found anyone that can make a good argument for the Silent's discard synergy cards that do everything in their power to keep you away from drawing good cards.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Victory Position posted:

I still haven't found anyone that can make a good argument for the Silent's discard synergy cards that do everything in their power to keep you away from drawing good cards.

I mean, they literally say “unplayable” on them. You can’t say you weren’t warned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tactician is occasionally OK. Relatively easy infinite with Acrobatics too. Reflex is absolute trash though.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Love when someone new starts playing and people start chatting again. I absolutely enjoy reading people's first experiences with the game. Takes me back 600 hours

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I ignored the dailies for 350hrs and now it’s the main source of fun for me because I get too frustrated above ascension 8

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
99% of my playtime is doing the dailies now. Love them but wish they'd change them up more. Wonder if it'd be feasible to make our own seeds and conditions.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is there a good modding guide out there somewhere? I want to make one so that swapping for Pandora's Box is a always a Neow option.

There's already a mod which does this on Github. I'll find you the link.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Tactician is occasionally OK. Relatively easy infinite with Acrobatics too. Reflex is absolute trash though.

This is my experience, too. Tactician can be pretty good if you have a lot of draw and discard but not a lot of energy. The only time I've ever had Reflex function as anything other than a curse was when I got both an upgraded Reflex and Tools of the Trade from an Astrolabe.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Squashy posted:

Love when someone new starts playing and people start chatting again. I absolutely enjoy reading people's first experiences with the game. Takes me back 600 hours

I appreciate the feedback.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Jedit posted:

There's already a mod which does this on Github. I'll find you the link.

Here it is: https://github.com/casey-c/FilterTheSpire

The mod's creator says eventually this mod will be updated to allow you to choose other starting relics, but for now it just looks for seeds with Pandora's Box swaps. I'm gonna download this later. Pandora's is extremely fun and a great way to learn new things about the game.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

sellouts posted:

I ignored the dailies for 350hrs and now it’s the main source of fun for me because I get too frustrated above ascension 8

mcvey posted:

99% of my playtime is doing the dailies now. Love them but wish they'd change them up more. Wonder if it'd be feasible to make our own seeds and conditions.

I've become a total junky for the daily challenges, actually looking forward to 5 PM every day to see what the modifiers are. The most disappointing thing is when they have cool ones like Sealed Deck or Hoarder, only for it to be ruined by Controlled Chaos. I loving hate Controlled Chaos. They really should remove it from the daily challenge mod pool.

Anyway, I've gotten pretty decent at getting into the top 20. I've had several runs where I thought I was getting pretty close to the highest score possible (always choosing the path with the max number of elites, taking no damage during boss/elite fights, etc), only to see that several people managed to get a few hundred points more than me on the leaderboard. People have mentioned that cheating the daily score isn't particularly hard or uncommon in this game, but the scores aren't completely unbelievable, just... confusingly high. Among other things, it seems odd for the score distribution to curve upward at the high end, instead of taper off. I'd like to first assume there are things I'm getting wrong before just accusing everyone who's better at the game than I am of hacking. But drat, how the hell do you get 1700+ in today's run for example?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
I'm no expert on score-maximizing, but my assumption would be that there's a route that picks up an early Prayer Wheel and uses it with Hoarder to rack up a ridiculous Collector bonus.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Devils Affricate posted:

People have mentioned that cheating the daily score isn't particularly hard or uncommon in this game, but the scores aren't completely unbelievable, just... confusingly high.

That's kind of the point, there's no actual cheat detection so posting an absurd score is the only way to get caught, give yourself something believable and you won't get punished. Not certain how many people do this though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have so much fun getting like 880 or 900. I care about getting better but then I think about it and I don’t think I do!

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Had a good run by my standards. Died on level 3 to a Maw I got down to 6/300 HP.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Pocket Billiards posted:

Had a good run by my standards. Died on level 3 to a Maw I got down to 6/300 HP.

Too many cards going in too many directions.

The flex limit break dream will eat up too many draws and doesn't work very well with the barricade/entrench half or the shuriken + free attacks portion. Shuriken will be hard to trigger without a battle trance or something, you just don't have the draw.

No 4th energy really hurts also, I can almost guarantee there was something better than tiny house on the second boss.

You should also go fight more elites.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WarpedLichen posted:

Too many cards going in too many directions.

Also way too few Relics. These relics are compounding, the more of them you have, the more powerful they become.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Obscene high scores seem to always be placed by the same people, so I guess it falls into the same vein as pudding farming, in which the punishment is the act itself.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
So in general, fewer regular enemy fights and more bosses/special events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yep, also once you got chemical X + whirlwind, you could've probably just stopped there and won the game with one spot weakness. Getting 2 + the limit break + flex + anger was probably overdoing it. Especially since you had to buy chemical X.