Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

its bullshit imo that summoned minions have 100% hp when you have insect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
I never had an infinite, but scrawl, inner peace, and bag of prep were my draw, which pretty much guarantees a good turn one and/or two.

I thought this kind of thin deck just falls over late game without the rushdown to make it infinite, but apparently not.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ThermosAquaticus posted:

Today I learned that the standard Watcher 'infinite' deck can crush A19 with a heart kill even if you never see a single rushdown. What a ludicrous character.
Wrath should be 1.5x damage in / damage out, change my mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jesus WEP posted:

its bullshit imo that summoned minions have 100% hp when you have insect

That's balanced by summoned minions not getting Strength from Philo Stone.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
It's also why summoned minions don't get the burning elite buff.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zephro posted:

Wrath should be 1.5x damage in / damage out, change my mind.

Wrath should've been a flat +damage instead of % boost. Watcher's entire deal is slapping things dozens of times (Bowling Bash, Flurry of Blows, Flying Sleeves, Follow Up, Just Lucky, Talk to the Hand, Tantrum, Weave, Ragnarok, Wreath of Flame, Conjure Blade), Wrath should've played into that instead of being a straight boost.

Something like +4 or +5 flat damage while in the stance, while still taking double damage, would've been both much easier to balance around and connect more interestingly with her card set.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I found an interesting case around the way numbers round.

Starting against the byrds with red mask, the 1x6 attacks are reduced by 25%, which is then rounded down to 0x6.

But then playing eruption doesn't double the 0x6 to 0x6 - it increases it back to 1x6.

So it's like the game is storing the actual attack as 0.75x6 (and then rounding down the 0.75), and then after eruption doubling it to 1.5x6 (and rounding that down to 1x6).

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's not really storing anything, the damage you see is the output of a formula. Byrds deal 1x6 and relevant modifiers are applied on top of that. So it goes from 1 * .75 (rounding down to zero) to 1 * .75 * 2 (rounding down to 1).

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Things also get weirder with paper crane and vulnerability on you.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That behaviour makes sense to me- it would be more confusing for weakness to have some kind of priority over wrath.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Arrhythmia posted:

That behaviour makes sense to me- it would be more confusing for weakness to have some kind of priority over wrath.

Somewhere, a medieval theologian is nodding and carefully taking notes.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Last night on an ironclad run I killed the transient for the first time. I woke up this morning to find a message from my brother in law that said, “first time doing this feat,” accompanied by a screen shot of him on an ironclad run ready to play a card that will kill the transient.

Some times the universe is an extra coincidental.

I love this game, and the universe, so much.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Welcome to the i love this game club!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am at the Act 4 shop and I'm trying to figure out if a plan will work vs the Shield and Spear and the Heart.

I'm playing on A1 and I'm thinking about buying a Bag of Marbles and Bottled Lightning.

I have a Champion Belt (apply 1 weak when applying vulnerable) which compliments the Bag of Marbles nicely when it applies vulnerable at the start of combat.

I am thinking of Bottling Shockwave+ to open the fight with a whole poo poo ton of Vulnerable and Weak on every enemy.

What kind of artifact do these enemies start with? Ultimately what I'd like to understand is if Bag of Marbles + Champion Belt + Bottled Shockwave is going to be an effective means to debilitate the final two combats on turn 1 or if artifact is going to ruin my plan. There are lots of other juicy possibilities at this shop, but this is my favorite plan, assuming artifact isn't going to block all that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Shield and Spear start with 1 artifact (2 at A18), Heart does not start with artifact but will add 2 on turn 4. So for the two jerks, Marbles will hit their artifact and you could Shockwave them... but usually you're better off (at least before A18 when the Spear adds one more fun wrinkle) trying to kill the Spear ASAP. Depending on your deck, particularly on your attacks, you might be better off with the fifth card than guaranteeing Shockwave.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
Champ belt only applies the weakness if the vulnerable is actually applied, pretty sure. Bag of Marbles will strip just one artifact layer, which is fine for up to 117 and your shockwave will do X vulnerable and X+1 Weakness(number depends on upgrade).
This will not work as well if you are on A18+ cause they have two artifacts, so you only apply weakness with shockwave

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Wildtortilla posted:

I am at the Act 4 shop and I'm trying to figure out if a plan will work vs the Shield and Spear and the Heart.

I'm playing on A1 and I'm thinking about buying a Bag of Marbles and Bottled Lightning.

I have a Champion Belt (apply 1 weak when applying vulnerable) which compliments the Bag of Marbles nicely when it applies vulnerable at the start of combat.

I am thinking of Bottling Shockwave+ to open the fight with a whole poo poo ton of Vulnerable and Weak on every enemy.

What kind of artifact do these enemies start with? Ultimately what I'd like to understand is if Bag of Marbles + Champion Belt + Bottled Shockwave is going to be an effective means to debilitate the final two combats on turn 1 or if artifact is going to ruin my plan. There are lots of other juicy possibilities at this shop, but this is my favorite plan, assuming artifact isn't going to block all that.

If vuln is blocked by artifact, champ's belt doesn't apply weak. Still worth doing bag of marbles probably; depends what else is in the shop.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Six months into his current challenge Baalor still hasn't pushed his IC streak past 11 or 12. I kinda wish he had set his sights a bit lower with Ascension 1-20 runs. Easier for sure but some variety as new obstacles come up.

I miss last year's challenge. Those runs really were different.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

Six months into his current challenge Baalor still hasn't pushed his IC streak past 11 or 12. I kinda wish he had set his sights a bit lower with Ascension 1-20 runs. Easier for sure but some variety as new obstacles come up.

I feel like he's gonna burn himself out trying grindy challenges like that instead of creative ones.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

im trying to master the defect so i’d really like it if he gave up and started doing more defect runs

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is Baalor challenging himself to do?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

im trying to master the defect so i’d really like it if he gave up and started doing more defect runs

Xecnar is trying for a 20 streak defect run and is currently on 14 right now.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

He said he's going to switch to Silent after he takes next week off.

It's not as fun as last year's, but I've enjoyed playing IC while listening to his stream and I've gotten a lot better because of it. I now can regularly drop a couple A20 HK wins in a row, but I haven't gotten to 3 yet.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Every time I get back into this game it’s really fun for a few to several days then I hit the same walls and I feel stupid and spend a day angry about video games then I don’t play it for a long time.

:(

I'm zooming back through my old posts to see how much I've grown to understand this game, and this one from Dec 3 of last year stuck out to me. It was my relationship with this game for almost 3 years. Play for a bit, get grumpy and something that was "unfair", and then don't play for a long time. Now I'm coming up on playing daily for four months and I like it more every day.

I'm so glad this game clicked, but it never would have without this helpful and friendly thread. :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tayter Swift posted:

He already did ladder challenges a couple of years ago.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

What is Baalor challenging himself to do?

Twenty A20H win streaks for all four characters, non-rotating. I mean they're fine, I've learned a lot about IC, it's still StS and they're still a great nightcap to fall asleep to (Baalor's the best ASMR out there) but they are more or less hundreds of vanilla IC StS runs and it's a bit monotonous.

And I doubt they're ever going to give us this, my favorite StS run in history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_t1sjoJufI

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Tayter Swift posted:

Twenty A20H win streaks for all four characters, non-rotating. I mean they're fine, I've learned a lot about IC, it's still StS and they're still a great nightcap to fall asleep to (Baalor's the best ASMR out there) but they are more or less hundreds of vanilla IC StS runs and it's a bit monotonous.

And I doubt they're ever going to give us this, my favorite StS run in history:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_t1sjoJufI

Last year’s card mastery challenge was … just so fun.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Whoa I have a rough selection of boss relics after Act 1 - Frozen Core, Ectoplasm, and Runic Dome.

If you have Runic Dome, do cards like Go for the Eyes glow yellow if an enemy is attacking.

This is the first time I’ve considered passing on a boss relic.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Wildtortilla posted:

Whoa I have a rough selection of boss relics after Act 1 - Frozen Core, Ectoplasm, and Runic Dome.

If you have Runic Dome, do cards like Go for the Eyes glow yellow if an enemy is attacking.

This is the first time I’ve considered passing on a boss relic.

Yes go for the eyes will still glow

Frozen core isn't that bad, it will generate a frost orb once per turn if you end it with an open orb slot. That's a lot more orbs per combat than the starter relic, you just need to adjust your play style accordingly and try to leave an open orb slot every turn you can to maximize it.

So yeah, I'd take core there!

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m leaning toward frozen core, too. I picked up ice cream and bottled an Aggregate+, so energy isn’t much of an issue because I can make a bunch of it on turn 1 and it’s usually enough to snowball into an energy excess.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

That extra frost orb isnt usually that useful on the turn you get it but the faster you're filling your orb slots the closer you are to evoking them so it pays off future turns.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
On the other hand, Runic Dome is often really good on Defect.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

On the other hand, Runic Dome is often really good on Defect.

Can you elaborate? I don’t have enemy patterns memorized so it feels like a bad pick.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Wildtortilla posted:

Can you elaborate? I don’t have enemy patterns memorized so it feels like a bad pick.

If you set-up frost orbs in one turn (any combination of things like lots of focus, multiple loops, tons of orb slots ), you are generating a lot of block on any turn and enemy intent is largely irrelevant. Of course, developing a kill strat alongside this is paramount (like dark orb sitting somewhere and going sky high before dualcast or multicast, blizzard,, having frost and lightning orbs together with lots of focus, having creative A.I generating powers till bullshit comes together etc).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

man i really like coffee dripper but i’m not a fan of getting it in a boss swap. the extra energy doesn’t prevent enough chip damage through the first half of act 1 unless i pick up a floor 1 sunder or something

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
if frozen core generates more than 1 orb, then you don't have enough orb generation in your deck. trash relic. :orb:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DontMockMySmock posted:

if frozen core generates more than 1 orb, then you don't have enough orb generation in your deck. trash relic. :orb:

end a turn on a dualcast and you can still count on a frost orb showing up and slap a few extra points of block on top for ya

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Tenkaris posted:

end a turn on a dualcast and you can still count on a frost orb showing up and slap a few extra points of block on top for ya

yeah, that's how you get the 1 orb out of it. an entire boss relic for that, AND you gave up a lightning orb. rear end

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

DontMockMySmock posted:

This. I don't know if I've ever taken frozen core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

A really aggravating Android bug is if save/leave the game after the Neow choice, you return to the penalty but not the reward. Burnt again.