Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Ben is real smart and knows how to play this game. It's a pleasure watching her work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Thoughts upon rewatch: Aja got really good work. It's subtle but effective, and she looks like herself but improved. Also, Thorgy is intensely annoying but I'm too busy having a hate-on for Milk to really notice. Go AWAY, Milk.

Also I loved Trixie's song, and Bebe is just intimidatingly perfect, like a drag queen grown in a vat by a more advanced civilization. It's gonna be tough for anyone to get past her.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

graynull posted:

That dress Vanessa Hudgens was wearing was gorgeous (as was she).
Seeeeeeriously. Her body is ridiculous.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Shangela is going to be one to watch this time around. Her makeup was gorgeous. And now she can dance.
She also wants it real, REAL bad. Her MTQ clip was kind of terrifying.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Aja's gotten just delightful. She ain't gonna win but I hope she sticks around for a good long while.

Shangela is a freakin assassin.

I'm running out of words for how much I detest Milk.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Based on that interview, her edit was entirely fair and accurate.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Her acting the diva the whole time is almost as entertaining as Willam was in float your boat.
I had an argument with my esposo about her diva act during the rehearsal. He was aggravated that she was wasting everyone's time, I thought it was completely brilliant and hilarious and on point.

Shangie's the one to beat, no doubt. It helps that she's loving great.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Ben's poised to Bianca the season, IF she wants to. I just think Shangela wants it more.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

wasn't Milk the only queen to use the Pit Crew for their talent act?
Aja used the Pit Crew for her Amy Winehouse and it was great.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

yeah, and Shangela used the Pit Crew during her Mariah

I meant from the first ep, I think Milk was the only one to use the Pit Crew during her first episode talent show
drat, of course you're right. Duh. Mea culpa, edibles these days are just too drat strong.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

My wife and I were discussing Bob the Drag queen, Thorgys nemesis. I thought Bob wouldn't have made top 3 in seasons 2-6 because his looks weren't there. She disagreed. What do you think?
It depends on the season, but one of Bob's strengths is her ability to cruise through most challenges and not appear to feel pressure at all or get in her head, and she shares that trait with Bianca and Raja, for my money the GOATs. I can't see her actually winning any season but hers, but she'd do well in most if not all.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I'm so ready. I'm nursing a painful and unpleasant but not dangerous medical condition so I have Norco in abundance, plus a pint of chocolate-peanut butter Haagen-Dazs and some CBD soda pop to go with my men dressed as women being mean to one another. This is going to loving rule.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I've been talking with a member of the Drag Race expanded universe (not a queen but if you're familiar with the scene outside the show you probably know their name) who says that Milk isn't like that at all usually. They're baffled, and posited that maybe it was a gambit for more screen time, which might have worked on a regular season but it's suicide on All-Stars. And even still, why ignore the brief for the challenge and repeatedly do the one thing Michelle said not to do? Total mystery. Good riddance.

Ben and Kennedy ate that for breakfast and Trixie was so good. If I were she I'd be loving furious. That challenge was right up her alley, too.

Chi Chi's character was actually interesting and funny. If only she hadn't lost her noive.

Season continues to deliver. Why can't it be next week already?

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

[*]speaking of, for Kennedy to be indignant about a penis and then go and play ratchet in the maxi challenge? Girl, one of those things is far more offensive and hurtful to a community of people than the other. I don't begrudge her performance because it was really funny and very drag in its political incorrectness, but come on
I didn't get the sense that she was indignant because it was offensive. I think she was pissed because it was the pinnacle of bratty bitchass sore-loserdom and a breach of established Drag Race protocol. Go out throwing shade, sure, but it's tacky af to go out throwing bombs (or dicks) at the person who eliminated you. And Kennedy and Shangela are friends, and we know Kennedy's loyal.

I'm curious about her reaction to Milk's lipstick exit. Whooboy.

spite house fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2018

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

I think you were expecting white girl wasted party girl and that's not who Kennedy was playing.
I was real impressed with her take on the party girl. There was a dark, desperate edge to it; that was a party girl at the end of the night, or at the end of several consecutive nights. Being all "wooooooo" would have been too easy.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

zedar posted:

Milk's only real sin this week was going too hard.
Milk was the only queen to ignore the brief. Michelle expressly told them not to talk over one another, and they didn't, except for Milk.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Gelf posted:

I tend to be more of a lurker, and for most of the shows I watch their respective TVIV threads are pretty toxic. This thread however is just great
Just wanted to say :same: This really is a consistently great thread with cool and good people.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bendela's pitching a loving no-hitter. Jesus.

Shangela's elimination speech was some COLD rear end poo poo.

I'm finding myself really looking forward to Aja's screen time. I want to be her Santerķa buddy real bad.

Poor Trixie. That's the kind of thing where you're going about your business years later and then your brain decides to replay the memory out of nowhere and you want to drive straight into oncoming traffic. This show is not her venue, at all.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Jay O posted:

Just wanna point out that Darienne Lake did this exact same thing on her season. Ben awakens insecurity in some people like some kind of Self-Doubt Elemental and I do not envy her for it, because with talent like that it must be pretty isolating. :( (This also seems to affect Courtney Act. Not really a surprise that the two of them are good friends.)
In addition to being Very Very Good At Drag, Ben and Courtney are both extremely smart, in an almost academic way. They also come across like grownups, and the combination of being a super-brain, highly competent and also a grownup must be intimidating, especially in this milieu.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

The other persistent rumor I've heard is Ben continues to slay the competition for a while and then eliminates herself. Which would kind of loving rule. I hope it's that and not the other.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Flyinglemur posted:

I don't think we've seen the end of the "made my own dress" shade, based on the end of the episode :)

why were there only three queens standing behind Alaska and Chad?
I think Thorgy and Milk both said gently caress it and left the sequester.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Most all-around brilliant play in herstory. Period. Ben De La Christ, indeed.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

There's absolutely zero chance Bebe would have won that lipsync. The whole thing reeked of production meddling, but in the best, most Baudrillardian way we've come to expect from this show.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Anyone else thinking production put Trixie up to hanging that note? It seemed like a very un-Trixie thing to do, and her reactions this episode seemed weighty with the unsaid.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Willam approved of Bendela's play and crowed about it on FB and that is good enough for me. :colbert:

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I want All Stars Winners. Bad.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Whalley posted:

But the prize is Ru retiring and the winner becoming the new host
Being as it'd almost certainly be Bianca, I am okay with this.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Of course, that means we might have to accept Magnolia Crawford back.
NOT FOR LONG

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Czolgosz posted:

No mention of Detox's consummate "I've had it, officially!" in Season 5's Untucked?
That was especially great because Detox is a famously easygoing and diplomatic person and I guess the people who know her well were shocked at that line. A major outburst for her.

(True story: I once accidentally stepped on her foot in a fabric store. Really hard, too. I felt awful about it and she ended up apologizing to me, from behind a large pile of bolts of pink and yellow tulle. Complete sweetheart.)

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Just dropping a pin, for the sake of discussion, that there can be a difference between doing genderfuck performance and Being A Drag Queen (or king). Eddie Izzard does genderfuck sometimes, Annie Lennox has, David Bowie did, any number of straight female actors have played Hamlet and poo poo, but none of them are drag performers, which implies participation in a scene and culture which has historically belonged to queer and gender nonconforming folks.

I'm cis and straight and I've done genderfuck performance and probably will again, but not in the context of a drag scene. If you want to do this kind of thing there's a ton of venues that aren't safe havens for marginalized people who badly need them. (And if you're really, really dope, who knows, you might get invited to participate in a showcase or something.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Bina posted:

Dragula?
She'd never. Christeene is not at all TV-compatible, and it's not just because her act is so scandalous. She's constructed a whole delightfully, joyously hosed-up realm for herself, with a lot of help from a lot of really amazing collaborators, and it would absolutely fall flat if it were handed over to reality TV producers, even cool ones who like seriously transgressive drag. She and her unseelie court need to be in charge at all times.

(Always See Christeene.)

• Locked thread