Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Segue posted:

God I just read a really depressing piece in the New Yorker about how much the UK has been ruined by 14 years of conservative rule and just looking at the Premiers and Poilievre I wonder what will be standing in 10 here.

i'd prefer to be sitting in a comfortable chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

me, caring very hard about electoral interference rn as all our major parties write their policies in scented marker (grape)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

we spent ten billion dollars on a pipeline to make something that we'll charge you a sin tax for using

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

we spent ten billion dollars on a pipeline to make something that we'll charge you a sin tax for using

hopefully the tax is high enough to offset the cost of the investment

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

wasn't that pipeline something like $30b lol

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
one billion for the metal they made the tube out of, twenty-nine billion to pay all the cops to guard it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

looks it's not CGL's fault they can't tell First Nations apart, it's not like anyone told them, or that they should know, or tried, or gave a poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/OttawaCitizen/status/1774028896406475028?t=-aHtw9_bFe2_UxV_pg-oCg&s=19

Half a billion dollars for highways, can't even scrounge up cash for a festival.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Canada has a productivity emergency because there's so little competition, businesses have gotten lazy not because of immigration

I thought this would be good. It ends better than it starts:

quote:

Ottawa has also read the riot act to employers who have abused the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to hire cheap foreign labour rather than unemployed Canadians.

The changes:

quote:

Effective May 1, employers will need to explore every option before applying for a Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA). This includes recruiting asylum seekers with valid work permits here in Canada.

Employers will also have their access to temporary foreign workers reduced.

Under the new rules, new LMIAs will be valid for six months a decrease from 12 months to ensure accurate labour market needs, according to the federal government.

Also, all employers identified in the 2022 Workforce Solutions Road Map will have a reduction from 30% to 20% of their total workforce that can come in through the TFWP, under the low wage stream, with an exception for the construction and health care sectors.

Yeah ok let's see these super stringent rules actually enforced. Next:

quote:

Temporary residents have not played a significant role in reducing per capita GDP a yardstick for improved living standards though some credible experts think they have.

Buddy... if you're going to give lazy racist arguments any airtime, you can do a better job refuting them than that

quote:

In their recent report on immigration and productivity, Scotiabank researchers ... call for immigration policy to focus more on prospective newcomers with high economic potential. And they warn that this must be matched with equally significant increases in business investment." "Absent that, they say, the country will remain on the current trajectory of declining productivity and competitiveness.

There could have been a point made about the ethics of attracting highly skilled professionals from developing countries (and then not recognizing their credentials, which is mentioned later on). Anyway, the last good bit:

quote:

More so than most of our G7 peers, Canada is an economy dominated by oligopolies and branch plants of foreign enterprises. The result is insufficiently robust competition to drive productivity gains, in which Canada trails most of the G7.

In its latest World Competitiveness Index, the Swiss-based International Institute for Management Development (IMD) ranks Canada a dismal 18th in its category of business efficiency. That metric includes customer satisfaction levels, reinvestment in modern plant and equipment, best practices in worker training, and competent senior managers.

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) ranks Canada dead last among G7 peers in R&D spending. At 1.7 per cent of GDP, Canadian R&D spending is far behind Americas 3.5 per cent and the OECD average of 2.7 per cent.

The Fraser Institute reported last year that average U.S. business investment per worker in 2021 was $26,751 compared to Canadas $14,687. It found that Canadian business investment per worker compared with the U.S. has fallen steeply since 2014.

It's ok to call Canadian business leaders rent-seeking failures but also, is anyone suggesting a solution here? Because I have a few ideas.

Oh yeah and the Star's non-mobile front page has a gambling permalink in the header now, so that's cool:

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Got a Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich today, had some kind of weird vinegar sauce in it that tasted like puke. Maybe they should try not making disgusting food to be competitive with McDonald's, etc.

Doesn't seem that difficult.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
maybe you should be more patriotic

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1774426009049182477?t=9ZosXh3jVu7D_Vckeik7Tw&s=19

Let's see how PP comparing himself to Christ works out for him (rather well probably)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

RBC posted:

Got a Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich today, had some kind of weird vinegar sauce in it that tasted like puke. Maybe they should try not making disgusting food to be competitive with McDonald's, etc.

the best tims breakfast is when u drive to mcdonalds instead

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1774426009049182477?t=9ZosXh3jVu7D_Vckeik7Tw&s=19

Let's see how PP comparing himself to Christ works out for him (rather well probably)

he's been retweeted more times than jesus christ

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

RBC posted:

What do you expect from a guy that died in a car crash 50 years ago? :thunk:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

RBC posted:

sounds like SOMEBODY didn't order the sausage and egg muffin sandwich (yum!)

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Juul-Whip posted:

people will just say anything they heard on tv. I can exactly predict my parents opinions on current events by checking what CBCs been reporting about that week

Happy Easter, I am in that circle of hell today.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

I should have saved more of these. he does it every year

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Also, wrt F-35 chat, Canada cant train fixed wing pilots because pilot training was privatized for $XB, which eventually led to it becoming completely dysfunctional, but now theyre paying a premium to train pilots in the US and UK (which was the main cause of a fatal helicopter crash a few years ago) while paying that same company to privatize non-pilot aircrew positions.

Its just lol what can you even say?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

sounds like SOMEBODY didn't order the sausage and egg muffin sandwich (yum!)

Bagel BELT or bust

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

BGrifter posted:

I should have saved more of these. he does it every year

"Thank you for burying me within sight of the place I was tortured to death so that it's the first thing I see when I leave my tomb."

- Jesus, probably

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

Bagel BELT or bust

a vegetarian friend of mine got into a heated argument with a Hortonista over whether you could order a bagel belt without bacon; Hortonista insisted that the B in Bagel BELT stood for Bagel and it wouldn't come with bacon in any case. vegetarianism stays losing.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RBC posted:

you better not be talking about the farmer's breakfast sandwich

it's like the only thing they still sell worth eating and they'll make it with a bagel if you ask. if they ruined it somehow i will never return

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

cock hero flux posted:

you better not be talking about the farmer's breakfast sandwich

it's like the only thing they still sell worth eating and they'll make it with a bagel if you ask. if they ruined it somehow i will never return

yes the sauce is loving disgusting. its like a drunk guy threw up hot sauce

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

RBC posted:

yes the sauce is loving disgusting. its like a drunk guy threw up hot sauce

i looked around and other people are saying it was ruined a few months ago too

those fuckers

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Also, wrt F-35 chat, Canada cant train fixed wing pilots because pilot training was privatized for $XB, which eventually led to it becoming completely dysfunctional, but now theyre paying a premium to train pilots in the US and UK (which was the main cause of a fatal helicopter crash a few years ago) while paying that same company to privatize non-pilot aircrew positions.

Its just lol what can you even say?

At this point itd be cheaper to genetically engineer giant eagles and ride those into battle

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

cock hero flux posted:

i looked around and other people are saying it was ruined a few months ago too

those fuckers

well that sucks that was the only thing i liked from timmies

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Canada has a productivity emergency because there's so little competition, businesses have gotten lazy not because of immigration

I thought this would be good. It ends better than it starts:

The changes:

Yeah ok let's see these super stringent rules actually enforced. Next:

Buddy... if you're going to give lazy racist arguments any airtime, you can do a better job refuting them than that

There could have been a point made about the ethics of attracting highly skilled professionals from developing countries (and then not recognizing their credentials, which is mentioned later on). Anyway, the last good bit:

It's ok to call Canadian business leaders rent-seeking failures but also, is anyone suggesting a solution here? Because I have a few ideas.

Oh yeah and the Star's non-mobile front page has a gambling permalink in the header now, so that's cool:

also not mentioned is a big reason we need to import foreign labour to fill vacancies in specific industries is those industries no longer provide on the job training and expect new positions to be filled by skilled veterans

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

And nobody can afford to have kids, send those kids to school etc etc

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

a primate posted:

also not mentioned is a big reason we need to import foreign labour to fill vacancies in specific industries is those industries no longer provide on the job training and expect new positions to be filled by skilled veterans

yeah back in the glory days you weren't expected to know much about the job you were hired to do because you'd be trained on the job. now you need experience, oh wow no one has experience guess we need to get immigrants with that experience and wow now we can cut wages look at what you've made us do

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I don't know if Kuwait Airlines is tied to Star Alliance and so Air Canada board members or something, but the government made the inexplicable decision to source new Airbus aircraft, CC-330s, from them.

I can't think of hearing of a major military procurement being placed with an airline like that before.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Me, a guy who loves watching plane crash analysis videos: they should have bought Boeing

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Dreylad posted:

yeah back in the glory days you weren't expected to know much about the job you were hired to do because you'd be trained on the job. now you need experience, oh wow no one has experience guess we need to get immigrants with that experience and wow now we can cut wages look at what you've made us do

and if you don't have experience, well, i guess we'll accept the most expensive degree available. gotta have a uni degree to get a job as a secretary these days.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I still like whatever tomato soup from tims that they sell in cans I just can't afford to spend four bucks on soup most of the time

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

This wonk says the Liberals gave the NDP a poison pill, idk. I agree that Singh is a loving abysmal leader, but idk about the wonk stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KFOVG05R58

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Me, a guy who loves watching plane crash analysis videos: they should have bought Boeing

I legitimately also love those videos.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Mayday aka Air Crash Investigations is unironically one of Canadas greatest television series

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Just had some of their throwback donuts, me an apple fritter, my partner the dutchie she had been craving since this anniversary thing was announced. She used to live a short walk to the original Tim's in Hamilton so seeing it in the commercials sparked something in her lizard brain. She seemed happy enough with hers, mine was good but not as toasted crisp as the mom and pop place I grew up near.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Virtual Russian posted:

I legitimately also love those videos.

I can't actually watch them because they make me anxious and scared of flying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I can't actually watch them because they make me anxious and scared of flying

you should read a few of the Admiral Cloudberg crash stuff. They typically end on a high note discussing all the changes and improvements to procedures and manufacturing post-accidents.

https://old.reddit.com/r/AdmiralCloudberg/

I feel a lot safer now flying having read a bunch of these articles.