Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

zeal posted:

that was the only celeb death of the last two years i really cared about, far more than bowie

excuse me did you forget about our lord and saviour Gord Downie, who we are bound by federal law to pretend is/was good and relevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Winnipeg: a racism zone

fixed

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

zeal posted:

john dunsworth though, he was a hero

Truth.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Let's talk about the Best Mayor In The World, as voted on by various people, the first of his name, Naheed Nenshi.

At first I thought "no, he's actually quite a poo poo mayor" but then I saw literally every other mayor in Canada past and present, and it turns out he's actually extremely good.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

R. Guyovich posted:

i have no idea why there is a group of people who so vehemently defend bad posting in the other thread but am willing to read someone's explanation of it. the whole thread culture seems very weird and has been flying under the radar for a while due to Canada

We're a distinct society, I told you this already!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

kelly leitch has apparently decided not to run for re-election after the failure of her trump-lite tory leadership campaign, will presumably be spending more time with the clutch of slimey eggs she has laid under a rock in Saskatchewan somewhere

Imagine if whatever she/it is managed to procreate with whatever Ted Cruz is.

The result would be something out of a loving horror film. No immigrant or can of soup would be safe!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

RGuy has gone mad with power, EvilJoven and James Baud both have probations from the CanPol thread!

Frankly I don't understand the theory of modship that would justify huge probations and bans for both CI and Tiny Brontosaurus, other than trying to generate huge amounts of mostly inoffensive, mind-numbing tedium.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

I live in a town in Canada where the Keg is literally the only fine dining restaurant, help

You don't even have a BP? Good heavens!

BP is poo poo too, of course, but at least it has the good grace not to be unreasonably pretentious like the Keg.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

We have 2 BPs actually, I would not consider BP to be "fine dining" though

I wouldn't consider the Keg to be fine dining either.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

the boston pizza experience is going to a generic restaurant to pay a 10x markup for digiornio or, if you're feeling adventurous, for spaghetti with classico's sauce on it

The Keg experience is what you get if you had some corporate-type rear end in a top hat go to a proper steakhouse and then try to replicate the experience by hiring exclusively 20-something alcoholics, just with a far worse wine list.

They trick you into thinking their food isn't poo poo, because the restaurant looks nice, but it's still garbage.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

:agreed: classico is great @ $2 on sale, get the pesto and don't buy pasta at lovely fast-casual restaurants

Yep, save your money for restaurants that are actually good and can do something that can't be trivially accomplished by any semi-proficient cook at home.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

better yet buy a proper pasta cookbook and learn to make your own sauce for a million times better eating, also impress all your friends by making proper food for them

On the other hand sometimes you get lazy, which is generally when you'd go to a poo poo-tier place like The Keg or BP, in which case "boil pasta and pour sauce out of jar" is an attractive option.

But, yeah, learning how to cook well is awesome and everyone should do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

vyelkin posted:

thats how i lived when i was a 20yo undergrad, now im a real adult and make almost a weeks worth of food on the weekend so i never have to cook when i feel lazy

Yeah, it's probably been about 8 years since I did that myself, but I already hate the Keg and BP. We're trying to offer good life advice to people who need it, not preaching to the choir.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

How many kids do you have in your downtown condo lifestyle where you cook from scratch daily dream? None, you don't say

If I can make pasta sauce, pizza, burgers, etc. when drunk off my rear end (and I have!) then you can do it with kids around.

Better yet, once they're old enough, involve them with the parts they can safely handle so they learn a fundamental life skill, and then when they go off to live on their own they'll be able to properly feed themselves. My parents always cooked meals from scratch and let me help out. It was actually a great way to spend time as a family.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I wonder how Homo sapiens with children survived for thousands of generations before we had the Keg and Boston Pizza.

I should get funding from the federal government to study it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

To be fair, if my only exposure to transit were Calgary Transit, I'd assume it really loving sucks as a concept too.

We need better examples to show people, "no, transit can be good, and not make you fear for your personal safety and pray for death as you wait an hour for your bus!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is the texture of the paper appropriate for wiping one's rear end? Because that's the only use I can think of for anything that moron writes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

We have a real problem with the worst things we create leaking out of this country. Jordan Peterson, Nickelback, Ted Cruz, Justin Bieber. What the gently caress, Canada?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

If we can file tax returns online, we can vote online. If you can vote by mail, I don't see why you can't vote online too, 1 per SIN or something

EDIT: Never mind, I misread.

PT6A has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Jan 29, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Terror Sweat posted:

They've also made it pretty difficult to gently caress with tax returns that were filed online. I'm pretty sure elections could be done online, the real problem is that it would drastically increase voter turnout, not nebulous "hacking" by some third party

Securing a tax return is easier. It only needs to be read by the sender and the intended recipient, and there is no need to disassociate the identity of the sender from the data itself.

For online voting to work, you would need a system where the sender cannot be known, the data is readable by everyone yet cannot be altered, and it must be easy enough to use that everyone can do it on any platform. I'm no expert, but I can't think of any cryptosystem that satisfies all these criteria.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

My dude, have you heard of blockchain?

Like what if we could vote from home, but it was painfully slow, massively wasteful, and absolutely trivial to de-anonymize?

Could it involve blockchain... and weed?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Suburbanite: "Why am I so fat????"

*Drives to mailbox located 200ft away*

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it's written that when ChairMaster and PT6A agree and are right, it's a sign of the impending apocalypse. Sorry about that, guys.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

:rip: my MP Kent Hehr

Seems every day after I would see him at the pub there was another scandle, last week was a step too far.

He's still an MP, and still in the Liberal caucus even.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I went to school with a bunch of First Nations kids when I was in grade 6 or 7, and, oddly enough, it turns out when they aren't getting systematically hosed around by prejudice, poverty, and all the other poo poo we heap on First Nations communities, they're actually really nice people for the most part, like literally every other group of people on earth.

But oh boy, moving from a long way away from that area, did 11-year-old PT6A sure not understand the politics involved with hanging out and playing basketball with the native kids...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

You'd think it would go without saying that a century and a half of abortive attempts at genocide and extreme marginalization will have some negative societal effects, but welp.

But, when you think about it, is that really worse than not showing up to work on time???

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I don't wanna be a dick or nothing, but this seems like a much less cost-efficient means of teaching people what it's like to be stoned than just getting them stoned.

Why is the government wasting money like this?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

how much do you think is would cost to smoke up the entire CF?

Nothing, just take it out of RCMP evidence lockers, duh.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Literal Hamster posted:

just found out that my Dad is a firm Doug Ford supporter

he's also a dedicated Trump supporter, so there could possibly maybe be some form of connection between these things

Kill your father, IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

Can someone do the is this a pigeon meme with Mary Poppins and Doug Ford asking is this daycare? tyvm

Be the change you want to see in the world.