Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
The joys of solo slooping, just lost a couple hours of loot, 8 chests for the gold hoarders, 6 treasure chests full of skulls and magma grails and such, some mermaid gems I stole off another guy, a couple crates of ancient bone dust and extraordinary materials, all gone because I got pinched between my boat and the outpost dock and trapped in a loading screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

CainsDescendant posted:

You can roll the dice over and over, you don't get a dedicated character creator but it didn't take me long to roll up a guy I was happy with. If you get a little ways in and decide you don't like your dudes' look you can always reset your account, you lose your gold and rep and stuff but unless you've been playing for a while all that's easy enough to get back

Also you can just buy a change appearance potion at any outpost for five bux

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

To be clear he's not in the tarp, he's behind the map table in the corner opposite the poor sap standing there in plain sight. Another good tuck spot on sloops are in the belly, just behind the furthest barrels on the left side, if you're looking from the steps. If people pop down to check for you I'd say 9 times out of 10 they won't notice you lying down there, thanks to the dark environ you kinda blend in with the clothing and equipment chests.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

he1ixx posted:

Do I need to cook all of these fish? I burned my ship THREE TIMES the other night because things distracted me from my cooking tasks...

You do if you want the most money from the hunters call for them.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Reiley posted:

Been following this game for a little bit but I had my first chance to play it tonight, I'm really into it! Is there a primer for how the man to man combat works? My understanding is there's a delay on the sword slash so you can block/maneuver and move forward as you swing, but I'm not sure which of the three types of gun I should carry. I have the sniper rifle at the moment, is there any primer advice from old PvP heads? I want to battle.

Pistols are accurate even from hipfire but your bullet doesnt go very far before dropping, hence the need for the eye of reach. Blunderbuss can knock folks oversides or just one shot them. It comes down to preference ultimately. If you're fighting with swords remember that if you hit jump and a directional input while guarding you'll do a little hop, which us helpful for boarding ships if you do it as soon as you come up the ladder.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Not since Heart of Fire. Maybe one with season 2 of their new battle pass? If there was gonna be one this season I figure they would've advertised with that rather than "theres a new merchant voyage type!"

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Reiley posted:

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

Shoot em?

Edit : I realize after the fact that this was kind of a dismissive response when what I was going for was a reference to Indiana Jones shooting the swordsman in that movie.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

:( after a long lovely day I came home to be a pirate with a full ship of friends for once and after we sailed around for a while doing the new merchant quest to stock up, we formed an alliance with another player and my game will now crash every 2 minutes. Whyyyyyyy

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Glagha posted:

Hey, I've started playing this recently and I saw something online saying that if you sink a ship their loot will float to the surface. Is that true? We sunk a skeleton ship the other day and nothing came up which is very possibly because they didn't have anything but I just wanted to be sure.

You'll be able to tell it's a skeleton sloop if it's got a real funky looking back to it, like a rickety fort on the stern. Also, itll be covered in blue and green lights, and of course you'll see the skellies on board when you get close. Loot won't come up immediately though, and if you sailed past while it was sinking and didnt get a good reference for its location, it's entirely possible to lose it while you turn around and whatnot. Waves are really good at hiding things from you.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

I was a sliver away from rank 75 Order of Souls, so I decided to take a ghost fleet voyage to see what it was like. After the initial wave, I wasnt paying attention while snagging some supplies, and the fleet sailed through my ship. After it did so, a skeleton sloop spawned on me. I fought him off, but a player sloop crashed the party, around the same time the fleet came back around the island and started firing on me again. So of course, the game decided it was the perfect time for a 2nd skeleton sloop to spawn on me.

I did not last.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Skellies can spawn on the island cannons and take pot shots at you, yes.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

There are folks on reddit reporting they've run into other crews within the tall tales after you take the portals and a) you can definitely hurt each other and b) it fucks up your voyage.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Trying for the Pirate Philanthropist title before the event ends, so last night I tried to offload my treasure onto a random persons sloop at an outpost. Despite using voice chat to assure them that "we come in peace and are bearing gifts", and successfully dropping three, loaded up chests onto their deck, they quickly fled. Not sure if I baffled them or they just had places to be.

The way I plan to do it is just roll around loading up on merchant commodities and looking to sink people. Either I sink and 'donate' all my commodities to them or I sink them and add to the pile. Plus if you can get on someone's ship scott free you can just pick and drop all of their loot on the deck and it counts.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Hmm. Secretly/hastily fondling their loot might be a good alternative. Though I feel like if I can gain a crews trust, playing Pirate Santa would be easier. Not sure how well I'd be able to donate to them once my boat is sunk, as I assume they will kill me on sight. I'm assuming I only get the progress if me or my crew puts the treasure on their boat.

Naw, you can sink and respawn with your ship across the map and get those treasure donated pop ups for the next 5 minutes as they harpoon your stuff.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Sywert of Thieves posted:

There's a known strategy for safe storage of the Chest of Rage where you can put it down below on the ship, and then put a few buckets of water in there too. The water neutralises the fire, rendering the chest harmless. I think it's 7 buckets of sea water on a sloop, more on bigger ships. The other crew was probably doing this, but not telling you this over vc is pretty dumb.

I've heard this doesnt work anymore, and the chest of rage now has an explosion effect so when its stored below deck when it goes off it makes holes in your ship. I've always just stuck the thing on the prow and tossed water on it when it goes off, so I dunno if that's true or not.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Generally speaking the people setting up alliance servers do so by initially getting a couple ships on the same server, either by server hopping or by getting someone to give them their ship. Then they use their 2 ship superior firepower to roll around, bullying the other ships into joining by spawncamping them til they leave the server if they refuse.

This is generally regarded as a dick move.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Good to keep in mind. I think we were attempting to do what TheStampede suggested, but got the positioning wrong. Too many hits, not enough repairs.

I wish they'd make that change with the Kraken loot. Been trying to collect the meat for Hunter's Call, but they show up so infrequently, and it's frustrating missing out on the first or second tentacle drops because it took so long to finish them off. Also feels like they should drop more loot for how difficult they are.

Two sailors on a sloop can take a Kraken out no problem, you only have to disable 3 tentacles, 3 cannonballs a piece. Krakens spawn between every world event, so long as there is a ship in open water, so just park at an island and when you see a world event finish, indicated by the cloud/tornado/big red ghost disappearing, sail out into open water.

I do agree that the loot is pretty inadequate.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Oh, they spawn after every event? I knew they only spawned between events, but didn't know it was that consistent. Another thing to keep in mind. I usually don't have too much difficulty fighting them even when solo, but it always feels like I can only get drops from one or two tentacles. Been having better luck just finding the meat in wrecks and rowboats.

There's potential for one to spawn between every event, but I believe if the game doesnt find any ships in open water after a certain amount of time itll just move on. Theres certainly been times where me and my partner have been slooping around, notice the event finish, and then 10-15 minutes later find ourselves getting krakened when we finally get to open water, so your mileage may vary.

If all you want is the meat and not any of the kraken commendations, sitting on a shipwreck fishing for wreckers in between the barrels respawning might be your fastest route.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Most importantly, skeleton ships can have barnacled chests, to put towards that sweet sweet horde of barnacled gold commendation.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Exploring islands will mostly just get you bottle voyages, sometimes you can find a skeleton captain that will get you a more substantial voyage with better rewards, but that's about all you'll find.

If you're not digging the voyages, then head for the world events. Those are the big glowy clouds or ghostly heads or fire tornados. These are more difficult endeavors that invite PvP as everybody on the server can see where they are, but also yield better loot.

Big red talking pirate skull is a naval battle around an island, fire tornado is a fight against a strong ashen captain, the grey skull is an active fort to click skeletons at (although I don't feel the loot is worth it for these as they take forever), fancier skull with a glowing skull is an upgraded fort that IS worth doing, and a ship in the sky is a naval battle against skeletons in the open water.

Don't bring any loot worth losing to these fights, because you can easily be sunk at any of them, either by the event itself or by other players come looking for fun.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Dracula Factory posted:

Thanks! I'll play some today and see if it's feasible for me to get it done in time.

One simple if boring way to level up your renown is to just do the first tall tale, at a certain point just after you pick up the shroud breaker the game will infinitely spawn skeletons for you to kill. Grab some trident to make it go quicker or an ashen lord skull to use as a flamethrower, but you can do it with just the sword and guns as well.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Zesty posted:

Game is teaching you to be better at PVP so you can ruin the time of people who place a lot of value on their gold/reputation grinding.

:hmmyes:

Icedude posted:

That doesn't work anymore. I tried it this weekend and you don't get renown for killing those skeletons

Womp womp.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Get you some obsidian gear this weekend.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

I look forward to sitting on top of one of these luring in ships that think I'll be an easy sink.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

"Ghoul" & Glory weekend starting tomorrow through the 1st. Boosted rep/gold/renown.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

This treasure burying thing seems pretty interesting for solo carebear players like me. I'm considering checking this game again.

It will be nice to bury loot you dont want to sell immediately, like athena kegs n whatnot, keep em from despawning when you leave them while doing other parts of athena runs. But i bet there will be ways for other players to steal those maps from you.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

:sigh: just lost a huge pile of loot after 2 hours of sailing to another player ship. I'm so bad at ship combat no matter how much I play. Have probably been in 30-40 ship fights and I just never seem to improve. I try to board the enemy ship, disable their sails with chainshot and curse balls, but I don't think I've ever won a battle even when I had the drop on them. My cannoning isn't great but I do land effective shots here and there. Best I've had was a draw when the other ship disengages and I don't chase. Is there any guide or something basic I'm missing or do I just need more experience? I like the PVP element of this game, its just so disheartening to lose every time.

Blurbs and PhuzzyBond both have excellent videos on many aspects of solo slooping, including basics like cannons and when you should be doing what.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

You can catch every type of fish, under certain conditions. Wreckers (that look like angler fish) only spawn in water next to shipwrecks.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Lammasu posted:

How do I use fireworks?

Load them in your cannons, fire.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Kenning posted:

Last night my buddy and I were trying to finish a vault quest in a sloop when two ghost sloops popped on us. He's pretty new so he's still getting used to cannoning, but I was doing okay handling the maneuvering solo. We took a lot of damage and used most of our ammo and wood, but we eventually took them down. Immediately as soon as the combat music stopped and we starting heading over to pick up the treasure a ghost brig and ghost galleon spawned. We weren't able to outrun and we lost the ship. This is a pretty good game.

You sailed into a world event, the skeleton fleet battle. They're pretty good loot if you can handle them. If you want to avoid em, keep an eye on the big cloud ship in the sky and stay away from the waters around it. Failing that, if you can stay repaired long enough to leave the area, the ships will break off and go back to their spawn point.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Can you scoop up somebody's body with a harpoon to get the revive? I just realized I've never tried.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

They cant sell you a body changing potion for 2 bucks if they do that

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

New captaincy update looking good.

This is just part of the framework for the SoT x One Piece crossover they're working on.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Hack going around that let's people fly around in the sky dropping kegs on ships, just a heads up.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Truga posted:

welp, wish i checked this thread before i went playing tonight. it did end up in a funny chase though where two dudes in a brig were chasing after me (despite already stealing everything from my ship while i was diving for treasure at one of them quest shrines), so i jumped off my boat with 5 fire bombs and set them and their entire brig on fire before they could kill me. unfortunately, their boat crashed into an island when i was dead while my boat sailed past, so i couldn't circle around to them fast enough to finish them off. they eventually managed to put the fire out and ran away lmao. if i remembered to use anchor to stop and turn around i could have probably sunk them, but it was my first real battle so i only remembered after they ran away :rip:

It's not immediately obvious, but in a pinch you can use your harpoons to quickly turn around, at least if you're near an island, rock, or shipwreck. Just harpoon the nearest thing and then use left trigger/m2(I think, pc players please correct me) to reel the line in. With the momentum from your sail you'll quickly be swung around, unless the harpoon rope intersects something and then it will break.

You can also use this to "reverse" if you manage to get your ship stuck. Even without any momentum, turning your harpoons back as far as they go and reeling your ship around is a great way to get unstuck.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just got into this game last week, and it's pretty great! Might want to update the OP, OP, as the game is definitely (obviously) available on Steam now. OP states it'll likely never happen. Thanks MS for deciding to enjoy money and letting me play this on my deck!

Anyway, is there ANY sort of weird workaround or something that lets me play in a group larger than 4? The other night, I, my wife, and 4 friends who have all played way more than I have, kept trying to log in at the same time to maybe get on the same server/sea instance. We'd immediately fly the reaper flag and then check our maps to see if anyone else in the group spawned together. We did that on and off for about an hour before giving up.

Why, in TYOOL 2023, can we not party with 6 people in a multiplayer game? Yes, I know the biggest ship only allows for 4, but why can't we officially start up with 2 ships of 3? :negative:

I mentioned that of all people, Rare, who are essentially video game royalty when it comes to multiplayer, have limited this. My friend didn't know what I meant, so I mentioned Goldeneye.

Him: Oh, they made Goldeneye?
Me: Dude HOW old are you? (he's like 6 years younger than me).

Claims he played it for hundreds of hours though :shrug:

Anyway, I wish there was a dedicated way to link up crews/parties.

You could go bully/bribe smaller ships into inviting one of your players into their crew, then when they're done with the ship they leave, your friend invites their friends aboard, now you have 2 ships on the server.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

You're nailing it. You might try out a tall tale, either the pirates of the Caribbean set or some of the originals. PotC get started at the weird sea hobo lady at every outpost, and the original tall tales start by the Mysterious Stranger at each outpost.

You might also take a look at the cosmetic sets and decide if you want to start working towards some of those, as some are locked away behind commendations.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

You're probably completing commendations for Athena's revolving around selling junk as a Pirate Legend. Athena loot will only come from Athena Quests, Fort of the Damned & Fort of Fortune.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

BurningBeard posted:

So part of my having an xbox again after well over a decade is checking this out. Anything in particular a new player should know? Any gotcha stuff? I like the idea of the organic player interactions but I don't want to get supremely ganked while getting to grips with things. I'm interested but a little concerned because while I like that stuff in theory, often it sucks in practice.

Great name/game combo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

You will probably want to save up your gold and buy your own ship to captain asap, because then you can store multiple Captains voyages on your ship for easy chaining of quests.