Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I got the xbox game pass for 2 bucks thing. I think Sea of Thieves is included. I played this game when it was in open beta and it was BORING, there was nothing to do except dig treasure and fight skeletons (and the fighting was dog poo poo). Is it better now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Marshmallow Blue posted:

The addition of fishing has made open crew even more useless.

What does this mean?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

With this coming to steam soon, is there crossplay across the different store fronts and even across platforms?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Gave chase to some guys in the same ship we had but they just kept jumping out of their ship ahead of us, and firebombing us, then getting mermaids back to our ship. That kind of gaming the system is very unfun and makes me realize rare really doesn't know how to make ship to ship combat actually fun and not just cheese.

Even killing them doesn't gain us anyway because they end up back on their ship in no time. Pretty dumb IMO

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Does speed of ship, or how much wind you are tacking affect how fast you can turn?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Is there any info on what season 1 entails? I like the game but good god has it always felt so shallow.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

When does this season end?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

It seems anytime I do anyhting now it says "[something] - Added to log". Such as bringing a treasure on my ship it says "Treausre abord ship - Added to log"

Where is this log?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Sekhmnet posted:

Yeah isn't motion blur the 'make everything look like it was shot on the set of a soap opera' button on the tv remote?

Motion blur done badly is bad. Motion blur done well is actually a really great improvement in a game. Its survivorship bias, you only notice bad motion blur so you think all motion blur is bad. Well done motion blur only enhances visuals and in a way you may not even notice. Doom is an example of good motion blur.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Master Twig posted:

There is no in-game way to do this legitimately, and that is by design.

There are two methods to do this that aren't really intended, and can be pretty hard to pull off.

Method 1 is to find a ship with pubbies and convince or bribe them to invite a friend of yours to their crew and have them log out once your friend is in, then have friend invite the rest.

Method 2 is to get as many people as possible, use a VPN to set every one of you to a remote region that's not likely to have a lot of players on at that time, then all boot up the game on separate ships all at once and hope that it loads a new server for you and puts you on the same one. Do this over and over until it works. This is the method that Alliance Servers use, where they have a big Discord server of people who try to control an entire server and all ally together.

Boy people who do either of these things sound really suck rear end to me

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Merijn posted:

People who tell other people they can only play the game in their 'correct' way suck rear end, in my opinion.

Exploiting a system so you can more easily troll a video game server with an unfair advantage is actually more suck rear end but you can justify it however you like. Unless that dude who wants to group is only doing it for pve, in which case it's just boring but totally fine.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Icedude posted:

Ah yes, the "exploit" of... working with another crew.

In a game with achievements and rewards specifically for working with other crews.

And a system for raising a flag that explicitly states "we are working together with another crew" and lets you share rewards that way.

:psyduck:

Except the wonderful thing about this is you can never truly trust another crew you met on the open sea. I've seen countless "alliances" betrayed, back stabbed, or other wise fall to shambles. Tentative truces are what make this game interesting, unique and fun. Hell I've gotten alliances to turn on each other. Subterfuge is possible when no one 100% trusts one another.

Edit: watch this for example: https://v.redd.it/972b299ihqu61 . It would be really lame if he did that and they said "we exploited a matchmaking loop hole and we're all in discord together, but nice try!"

Teaming in most games is ban able if it's outside emergent teaming with randoms. Look at any battle royale, most of those games allow teaming if it's in the moment, but abusing matchmaking to stack with a team of friends is something you can get banned for because it's way way less fun for everyone else.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 23, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

I understand that's part of the design, but also some people just want to play with their friends (and have more than four people who want to play together).

Google tells me they are/were working on private servers, but it looks like at least during the alpha test, all progression was disabled. Kind of pointless to do PvE if you don't even get to keep your gold/rep.

If people want to play with their friends to do PvE I don't think that's a problem. But if people are teaming to do pvp that is lame as hell.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

The same effect could be done in PvE, just have skeleton/ghost ships chase you down when you have a quest item sometimes.

If you could just flag yourself for PvP or PvE servers, I'd probably do each about 50% of the time. Sometimes I'm down for shenanigans, sometimes I just wanna do a chill voyage and not worry about WEEDLORDVEGETA69 stealing my poo poo.

It is almost impossible to actually be killed by other players if you want to avoid barring some very extreme circumstances.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

And you move fastest with a stern crosswind

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The alliance server people use VPNs

Repulsive.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Merijn posted:

Look do you want a beard with glitters in it or not. :mad:

Look it's video games. And people can and should play them however they want. But I literally cannot wrap my head around wanting to do PvE only. The combat and PvE stuff in this game is some of the worst out there. Money is also completely worthless. PvP tension and subterfuge is really the thing that drives this game. I already hate doing anything involving skeletons, it's just a grind and it's not fun. Ship combat can be kinda fun but ship PvE gets very samey very quickly

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Merijn posted:

oh it's this argument again, cool

Not an argument, people can and should play the game however they want. It just confuses me because if I want good PvE content there are a thousand games that do it so much better. PvE in this game is actively poorly designed (briggsy)

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

I just really want htem to make on foot combat more engaging. I know its a game about ships but for gods sake a lot of quests and things have to do wit hsekeleton fighitng and its just so drat boring.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Just saying I disagree with forcing someone to babysit. Maybe it's meta but that's boring at. Just every now and then take turns sending someone out to scan the horizon.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

So it seems the "ocean crawlers" do not board ships. At least I have only seen them on islands which is pretty loving lame.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Unlucky7 posted:

Is this like Deep Rock Galactic where you could do well with even pubbies?

Like, are they mostly competent?

Generally no.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

dodgeblan posted:

Pirate update!

Was sloopin with my buddy, discovered random shipwrecks for the first time, realized they are super lucrative. Was on our second shipwreck having picked up a bunch of stuff (including rare tea) and a ton of skulls. My buddy was sniping mermaids from our deck, and I was stabbing them in the water. Realizing this shipwreck stuff must have been a lot easier 1 month ago.

I look back at the sloop only to see ANOTHER sloop mast up perfectly parked a few feet away from us. I start freaking out but they haven't started firing yet. They open fire on us and I frantically swim back to the boat. I try to raise the anchor, only to be killed by a cannonball. My buddy is killed by a cannonball seconds after. We've already sunk by the time we respawn.

My buddy is a bit dejected and we start sailing back to the area where we fought them, half heartedly saying we'll try and get our stuff back. I guess the festival of friendship stuff is a bit buggy because it starts tells us we 'donated' a bunch of treasure to another pirate crew. Okay game, sure!

We get back to the scene of the crime and my buddy can see them off in the distance, and we try to chase them for a bit but don't seem to be gaining. We see a bunch of floating barrels and stop to pick up the remains, before heading towards krakens fall. My buddy sees a sloop at a nearby island, mast up.

We decide to attack them, even though basically everyone in the game is way better than us at PVP. I try to do the streamer keg move, while my buddy cannons them. One of their guys was waiting on the boat and he jumps into the water to shoot me with my keg. dang. My buddy gets a bunch of good cannon shots on the hull and their deck is on fire. I respawn and we both cannon them for a while, before they board us. They camp our boat for a while and eventually I realize that they've already sunk, and all we have to do is kill them both to win. I kill one and my buddy kills the other, and then we see their loot floating in the water. This loot includes a bunch of skulls and yes, the rare tea.

So not only was it our first pvp win it was also a successful regaining of our loot. Really awesome! Big fan of this game. We sailed to the volcano outpost (which is also really cool) and sold everything, all while expecting them to find us and get re-revenge.

I don't really understand what happened in the battle tho. It seems like if they'd wanted to they probably could have saved their boat, but maybe I underestimated how much damage we did and how quickly. Maybe it was already sinking before the second guy got back to the boat. Whenever we encounter experienced players it seems like their focus is to get on your boat and kill you as much as possible rather than saving their own boat.

Cool story! Sometimes you can even find a mega keg on a ship wreck! As for ship boarding, yes, unfortunately, boarding an enemy ship is really one of the most effective strats at sinking. If one player manages to kill both the crew, the ship is effectively done if they have holes in their hull.

The meta of needing to board is generally kinda dumb imo

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

When you get good on a sloop you learn that dropping anchor is often not necessary (save for j turns).

Raising sails and swords lunge jumping will get everywhere faster and safer

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Hihohe posted:

I have lost so much treasure because a skeleton sloop spawns and instantly nails me with a cannonball that knocks me off the ship. It wouldnt be so bad but when i try to take the mermaid it... like... loads for SO long. and the it rubs it in by loading Finally when the ship is sinks so i get to see all the treasure go bye bye.

First off, for the love of God put this game on an SSD.

Secondly try and get a row boat if you can. The row boat can and likely will survive the sinking of the ship and you can use it to collect your treasure if you are still alive.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

My only request is that special Tall Tales area should all be instanced and not....mix and match.

Sailing all the way out to an area, only to have someone follow me into a weird cave and just spawn camp me is not fun, it's not good, and it has nothing to do with pirating. It's bad design.

There are a number of ways you could have countered this. And it likely would have made for a good story.

I get that not everyone wants to play like that, but the game is designed around the emergent experience of encountering other sea dogs. If you just want to play PvE I'd recommend black flag, it's got more compelling PvE content and no other humans.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Chev posted:

Recommanding Black Flag isn't a solution. It's a very different game and doesn't really do the cartoon pirate truck sim bit. I think there's really room on the market for someone to make a solo or coop-only game ripping/riffing off SoT's mechanics and I don't think it should be a new mode for SoT. Let it be its own thing.

I agree with this. I just am sick of people who don't like pvp buying a PvP game and begging the devs to turn it into something it's not.

If another game wants to create a co-op only pirate game, go for it, but that is not what, at it's core, sea of thieves is.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

This attitude, which is super prominent and vocal in the community, is why i just don't play the game. I have a limited amount of time and just want to engage with the ship and sea mechanics. The few times I've completed a mission, I wasn't let down because i didn't have a story because i had to fight off a jerk who just wanted to troll me. Being forced to fight because it's either that or not complete the quest isn't fun when the fighting mechanics are awful. If they had actually created a fighting system that's not 80% trading hits and dancing back and forth, I might want to fight. But since the community doesn't care, the devs don't, so I play other things.

Cool I'm glad you do because I don't want to play whatever game it is you want this game to be because I want to play this game as it exists and is designed. The fighting mechanics could be better I guess but I find them very engaging.

And like you said, even if the mechanics were better, you still only might want to fight, because realistically what you want to play isn't sea of thieves. It's similar but different, hopefully someone makes that game for you.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

I'm not doing this.

I am giving you a very specific example where there is zero incentive on one party's side to be a shithead, other than just being a shithead. And the devs are fully aware of this trend and still make a lovely tall tale where it can happen.

With the original tall tales I didn't really have this problem since there was an understanding that everywhere you were going to, for the most part, was just another island so you knew that standard rules apply. But in these new tall tales I am going to an underwater place with dumb checkpoints, and I get stuck in a death loop because they half assed making it and forgot some people log in just to camp.

If I were complaining about pvp I'd have been yelling about games that aren't Sea of Thieves for the past 20+ years. These are badly implemented stories, and they actively make me less likely to engage with whatever new poo poo the game makes moving forward. Shitheads spawn camping is a short term issue.

Yeah that's totally fair. That is just poor design and hopefully they address it.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

If the fighting mechanics were thought out like the ship and sea were, I'd be engaged and would play more. But I'm a fan of platinumgames, so basic click and hit is boring beyond belief. But also, it would mean I could work on getting better at it meaningfully, which you can't currently, it's all luck and connection, and good luck if you're on console getting sniped by pc players.

But until they put the fighting mechanics on the level of the ship mechanics, I'm not wrong to point out they don't feel like they're mandatory for the game to work as is without them. And a passive mode wouldn't affect you, unless you need to be a jerk.

I do want to be a jerk. Sometimes. I'd like as much meat for the meat grinder as possible. I really like the emergent gameplay that comes from playing with both players who want to PvP and those who don't. If a passive mode existed the normal mode would just become a PvP only mode because people would just assume if players were there and not in passive mode they must want to fight.

I like both privateering but I also like making friends with emissaries and hunting down the reapers who harass them. I have made just as many friends as I have enemies. I've had fights that end in frustration and fights that end in triumph, hell some fights that end in mutual respect and alliances. I've given players gifts of treasure and I've tucked on ships just to help out when needed and at a funny time. That uneasy feeling of "can I trust this person or not" is a ton of fun to me.

Adding a passive mode to the game changes that dynamic entirely. If you can't understand that what you want out of the game will dramatically impact the rest of the game entirely then I don't know what to tell you.

I'm sorry this isn't the game you want but not every game is made for you.

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 19, 2021

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

But that's already the assumption... Like this thread just talked about how you have to pull out a bullhorn and ask nicely to sometimes get respite. A passive mode would just mean that specific player can't be hurt by you, so theoretically they'd be invisible or a ghost image you can't mess with. And If there's that many people that want a passive mode, that the game is hosed, Then the devs obviously need to put in the passive mode because that means they have a giant rear end audience that they're not catering to. That's cool you want to be a jerk, But my time doesn't need to be spent wasted on you.

I literally can't explain this to you if you can't listen. The tone and presence of the game would be forever changed if they added this. Yes players are often leery of other ships but we also don't always assume hostilities. Sure more often then not they are hostile but I'll take that over they are always hostile because anyone who doesn't want to be hostile will be playing passive mode. It's just a deathmatch at that point, the arena with extra steps.

For the "audience they aren't catering to" I'd stop playing immediately if they made that change. Why is your want more important than mine?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

I think it's also worth pointing out the lovely direct player to player combat is a big issue since like....most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether.

I do think they should improve ship to ship combat somehow. Boarding is cool and good but the fact that it simply must be done in order to win a fight is kind a bummer.

Not sure how to improve that off the top of my head but the must be a way.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Shinjobi posted:

Hilariously enough I think they need to go back to the original mermaid spawn rate--didn't you have to wait longer/move farther away to get them to spawn originally?

Could be wrong, but if so it might help just a little bit. Harder to gamble on being away from the ship that long if you leave it exposed or undermanned for too long.

I also think they need to get rid of reviving. Killing someone with a cannonball is more or less meaningless now if he isn't solo.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

bushisms.txt posted:

Y'all have yet to show how it's different now. Any time i see someone I get attacked, maybe because I'm solo in a sloop. So when you talk about how you're wary, literally nothing would change. Y'all act like the passive mode means the quests are getting ripped out or that others aren't like minded like you and want the thrill.

And having more audience means the devs aren't as piecemeal since they have a bigger audience to cater to. Oh no, rpers started showing up! Now the dev has to make more variants of clothing than before, game ruined.

So yeah, why is your want more important then mine? I spend money on a bunch of their other products, they don't want it now?

My want isn't more important than yours. Neither is yours mine. However I want to play the game as it's designed and you want to play an entirely different game for no reason other than "I want this thing".

I'm sorry anytime you see someone you are attacked. While that is the case for me probably more often than not, it also often is not.

Also this game has 20k players on steam right now, is free on game pass, has cross play with consoles and just got a deal with Disney. I think they're doing fine. Games don't need to stretch themselves thin to appeal to every audience. Let other people like things the way they are. Stop trying to shift this games dynamic. If they made a sea of thieves clone that was only PvE I wouldn't go into that thread saying the devs better implement PvP!

This game is about tenuous truces, backstabbing, and pirating. The change your asking for would categorically change all of that.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

punishedkissinger posted:

running commodities doesnt seem to make much sense gold-wise. too bad really

Get a full emissary flag and it's actually super duper profitable

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Isn't this just your opinion? Where are you getting "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether"?

I play this game an embarrassing amount, doing a lot of PvP, and occasionally watch streamers too. I don't see what you're describing.

Maybe you have a bit of a bias here.

Though I don't agree with all of what he has said, as a solo slooper, the #1 way with a bullet I sink ships is boarding. I get a couple holes in their hull, maybe a mast down, then board, kill and firebomb. Its much much mroe effective than focussing purely on ship to ship combat.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I used to solo sloop a lot, and I get what you're saying. Most of the time now I'm on a brig or galleon, and boarding is important but has to be coupled with good naval combat beforehand to get a sink. A good crew can keep a ship afloat even with a ton of holes, and so they need to be disrupted by a boarder or blunders or cursed cannonballs. But unless you're boarding en mass and spawn camping them until fire sinks the ship or they scuttle, you really need to get a bunch of holes in them first.

I'm not saying boarding isn't important or even crucial, I'm saying "most of the meta tries to skip ship to ship combat altogether" does not match my experience at all.

Yeah true, you really can't skip naval combat. Though sometimes you can with a well placed keg. Which is my absolute favorite, but it's very rare.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Mine too!!!! I get to do it do rarely because it's such a bad idea to sail around with kegs.

I got lucky yesterday and there just happened to be barrels and a keg on my swim towards an enemy ship. Made my night.

Highly, highly recommend rowboat kegging. It is slow, takes time, but no one expects it or sees it coming.

Also stronghold kegs are the stuff of absolute dreams.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

WhiteHowler posted:

What's the best method for pulling this off? I usually end up blowing myself up, which is good for some laughs, but the goal is to survive, sink them, and get their treasure, right?

Mega kegs are tough to survive. Put it on top deck so you can get as far away as possible. Alternatively leave the mega keg in your row boat parked right up next to the ship you want to sink and light it and immediately sword lunge or start swimming away FAST, or leave it in the row boat, swim away and shoot it with a pistol or something from a distance.

Surviving normal kegs is easier. Its pretty easy to get several kegs onto a ship while poeple are distracted if you rowboat in. I'd recommend putting at leave one normal keg on each level and set the fuseo n the top most level so you again have an easier time running from it. Make sure you have food if you take damage. On brigs and galleons if you put a normal keg on on the front of the ship, you can hang out on the back of the ship and take littel to no damage. Also leaving it in the rowboat on the broadside of the ship in question also works with multiple kegs if getting onboard is too risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Guys stop fighting! This is an alliance thread!