Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I managed to play this late last night after not being able to log in due to queues. I wanted to play this morning and the queue said it was 15 minutes but I've been in it for over an hour so far. I keep seeing them post on reddit about how much they've improved it every few hours and how it should be a lot better, but seeing hour-long queues and some pretty brutal server issues all around is giving me doubts about how long I'll have this installed. I rarely have more than 30 minutes to play at a time, so randomly having to sit in a queue for an hour is just not going to work. I can't even recommend it to friends besides another monster hunter junkie due to the queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I've gotten in in less than an hour both yesterday and today. Game is ok but for sure needs more variety. Looking for the bohemeth is pretty boring as well.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 27, 2018

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Queues are gone, just logged in during primetime.

I'm not very good at this game

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hello yes, Dauntless? Please stop giving me dailies to use slow weapons and then giving me patrols with Shrikes, thanks.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Pain is trying to get your chain sword daily done and then queueing a Patrol into a Skarn with three other chain sword users. Skarn is really rough I think cause sword is really boring so people switch off it immediately. Chain sword is flashier and easier to pick up than Hammer so I feel like if you ever plan to queue into Skarn you should just always bring your own Hammer.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I played a lot in closed beta with the hammer. Its definitely my favourite. Getting the timing on the shotgun blast to stun charging behemoths is very satisfying.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
locking two of the weapon classes behind a rep line i need to grind is a really annoying design decision imo

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I've played a few games, got to the third or fourth island. It's an ok game I guess, I was expecting a bit more complexity. Perhaps there are more later in the game but the four different areas I've travelled to so far are basically the same trees and grass on floating rocks aesthetic with slightly different layouts.
There are countless bugs, matchmaking problems and interface issues (especially with controllers) but that's par for the course for beta releases - of which this game definitely fits the 'beta' billing far more than other glorified demos by other, bigger developers.
More environmental variety, more things to do in combat besides just twatting the monster over and over again, and a better user interface would be the biggest improvements the game needs in my view.

also the island with the charrogg(sp?) mixes up the biome stuff a bit. my biggest complaint outside of technical issues is that it feels more "gamey" than i remember the monster hunter games ive played being - the only creature on the island other than some rams you cant interact with in any way, and some birds i think i saw in the sky once, is whatever monster youre there to fight, and the areas you fight them all really feel like arenas vs monster hunter having a more natural feeling environment

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm still p early on but yeah it doesn't seem to have the "hunting" elements so much, like gathering and crafting don't seem to be as much of a thing, there's not much in the way of an ecology going on, it's just run toward monster>beat the poo poo out of monster>go home. Although tbf I've tried a handful of other Monster Hunter wannabes before and all of them have fallen short in various ways (including basically none of them nailing the ecology thing), one thing Dauntless has going for it over them so far is that at least it works as more of a pick up and play, throw 15-20 mins at it type deal.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Pretty fun game. Boss encounters are just as hard if not harder than Monster Hunter:World. Difficulty really ramps up around Hellion and onwards.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've never played a monster Hunter (looking forward for World on PC), and I think Dauntless is pretty alright, but it definitely feels empty as hell. I don't mind if the monsters are interesting and the fights tense, so far it's been ok.

What I think will make me stop playing it pretty soon is the lack of variety. Not just monsters, but only 5 classes... Don't know. Is there a way to further customize your gameplay? Are there powers besides one single lantern, or something that varies your playstyle in each class?

Still, I've been having some fun so I'll definitely play it for a bit as a pickup game to waste 20 minutes.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

I've never played a monster Hunter (looking forward for World on PC), and I think Dauntless is pretty alright, but it definitely feels empty as hell. I don't mind if the monsters are interesting and the fights tense, so far it's been ok.

What I think will make me stop playing it pretty soon is the lack of variety. Not just monsters, but only 5 classes... Don't know. Is there a way to further customize your gameplay? Are there powers besides one single lantern, or something that varies your playstyle in each class?

Still, I've been having some fun so I'll definitely play it for a bit as a pickup game to waste 20 minutes.

Yeah there are lots of varieties of lantern. The boss mechanics get pretty intricate too. I'm new and was on the fence til I got to Hellion and Stormclaw, great fights.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
iirc they added War Pikes in December and added more combos to Axes in March so it's fair to say that more weapon types will come and old ones enhanced with more moves.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Saki posted:

Yeah there are lots of varieties of lantern. The boss mechanics get pretty intricate too. I'm new and was on the fence til I got to Hellion and Stormclaw, great fights.

I'm really glad to hear that, because I burned out real quick on it in closed beta for there being no indication poo poo was going to ever get more interesting. Maybe it did but hosed if it ever actually even hinted at it in the early stages. Same in open beta tbqh.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also how do you activate a lantern with a controller (Xbox one)? It told me what keyboard key to push but nothing for controllers.

Also they need to work on controller support in general because man there is some rough poo poo everywhere outside of actual character control there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

TetsuoTW posted:

Also how do you activate a lantern with a controller (Xbox one)? It told me what keyboard key to push but nothing for controllers.

Also they need to work on controller support in general because man there is some rough poo poo everywhere outside of actual character control there.

LB, you hold it down for the party ability and press it for the self ability.

Be aware that some menus don't work properly with controllers. For the longest time I didn't know about half the armors I could craft because the controller is unable to scroll down the armor crafting menu beyond the first three listed. I'm sure you probably know about that already. For a game that's actually intended to be played with a controller instead of mouse/keyboard, the support is absolutely lousy and poorly implemented even though it's been in private testing for a while now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Yeah the armor thing was exactly what I was thinking of, that and how twitchy and finicky it is trying to get your loadout sorted.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
so how does wound damage work? I enjoy the moveset of the spear now I've finally unlocked it but don't know if I'm just limiting myself compared to being able to stun things with the hammer

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Man, it is some horseshit that you don't get to keep your shinies from part breaks if the mission fails. I did the quest to kill the fire turtle and make a weapon from it, but only got 1 of the 2 hides I needed. So I queue up again for it, only get 3 people in the lobby and the hunt starts. One player never shows up at the monster and eventually disconnects without ever saying anything. So it's only two of us and I don't think monster health scales down. We end up running out of healing items and eventually both get killed at the third or fourth enrage, after it had already run away once, and we'd broken about 3 shinies off it, so it was likely close to dying. I'm like ok, we still did our best and got a few shinies off of it, and go to finish my quest, only to see that they didn't come with me. So I just lost like 20 +minutes beating up that thing for nothing due to matchmaking.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'd say the difficulty starts ramping up at Skuld, personally. That thing has some mean combo potential. And then you have Embermane being all Nargacuga and avoiding all your attacks while setting you on fire and the lightning lizard and his ability to just deal half your health in damage while you're still not sure if you're in aggro range or not.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
For what it is, this game is pretty fun and satisfying. They have a good core, just need to build upon it but like everyone says this has the potential to be the big F2P go-to for this genre. MHW still reigns supreme but hey at least this will help me get my fighting skills up while I wait for that to release on PC.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Maleh-Vor posted:

Man, it is some horseshit that you don't get to keep your shinies from part breaks if the mission fails. I did the quest to kill the fire turtle and make a weapon from it, but only got 1 of the 2 hides I needed. So I queue up again for it, only get 3 people in the lobby and the hunt starts. One player never shows up at the monster and eventually disconnects without ever saying anything. So it's only two of us and I don't think monster health scales down. We end up running out of healing items and eventually both get killed at the third or fourth enrage, after it had already run away once, and we'd broken about 3 shinies off it, so it was likely close to dying. I'm like ok, we still did our best and got a few shinies off of it, and go to finish my quest, only to see that they didn't come with me. So I just lost like 20 +minutes beating up that thing for nothing due to matchmaking.

Yeah, learned this the hard way with herb gathering after boss kills too. Anything you gather while waiting to depart to Ramsgate after killing a boss doesn't actually go to inventory.

quote:

For what it is, this game is pretty fun and satisfying. They have a good core, just need to build upon it but like everyone says this has the potential to be the big F2P go-to for this genre. MHW still reigns supreme but hey at least this will help me get my fighting skills up while I wait for that to release on PC.

It is pretty much MHW's seat warmer.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

quite stretched out posted:

so how does wound damage work? I enjoy the moveset of the spear now I've finally unlocked it but don't know if I'm just limiting myself compared to being able to stun things with the hammer

OVERVIEW OF WHAT THE DAMAGE NUMBERS MEAN

White = Normal Damage, This kills the crab monster

Yellow = Part Damage, This indicate the part you are hitting is breakable.

Blue = Stun Damage, Not actually killing damage, this build up and eventually knocks out a monster. Head is the best place for it but you also get smaller amounts when you hit other places depending on weapon type. You'll know you're about to KO the monster when it gets swirlies around its head. Get ready to pop pots/lanterns for max dps.

Red = Wound Damage, Not actually killing damage, this builds up and eventually creates a wound on a given monster part. Wounds make the monster take extra damage. Note that you can only apply wounds to parts that can be broken and they go away once the break happens.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Ragetail is loving hard. Goddamn.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dauntless fights end in one of two ways: 2% danger or FULL DANGER oh god two of my teammates are down why is the other dude using a shock weapon on drask???

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I played this a lot today to the point I feel really worthless after wasting my day off. It’s cool but I don’t see how it could have all that much longevity since everything is kind of the same.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

7c Nickel posted:

OVERVIEW OF WHAT THE DAMAGE NUMBERS MEAN

White = Normal Damage, This kills the crab monster

Yellow = Part Damage, This indicate the part you are hitting is breakable.

Blue = Stun Damage, Not actually killing damage, this build up and eventually knocks out a monster. Head is the best place for it but you also get smaller amounts when you hit other places depending on weapon type. You'll know you're about to KO the monster when it gets swirlies around its head. Get ready to pop pots/lanterns for max dps.

Red = Wound Damage, Not actually killing damage, this builds up and eventually creates a wound on a given monster part. Wounds make the monster take extra damage. Note that you can only apply wounds to parts that can be broken and they go away once the break happens.

i thought killing damage was green and stun was a purply-blue but thanks for explaining how wounds work. i usually just spam the right mouse spin attacks for a bit on the side of the monster to hit several breakable parts at once first and then later focus on trying to get stabs in on the head

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Comrayn posted:

I played this a lot today to the point I feel really worthless after wasting my day off. It’s cool but I don’t see how it could have all that much longevity since everything is kind of the same.

The monsters get more interesting as soon as you hit the second terrain type. It does need like a year more of development though so it can have more weapon and build variety. Then again I haven't even unlocked any lanterns which are supposed to be a big deal.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

How are you at more interesting monsters than me and yet I've somehow unlocked like two lanterns, you must have hella quests you haven't completed

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If someone wants me to add something to the discord or the OP @me or quote me I'll hook it up to the best of my ability.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I've bumped into one interesting monster so far and that's nayzaga, it's certainly different to the usual monster hunter staples. It feels like an mmo dungeon boss. The rest are fairly typical

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I've unlocked monsters through the Charrogg, and so far this game seems fun. Shallow, but fun. I have a rocket hammer!

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
This is probably the best "how-to" video I've seen so far:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=501V5zOJMjk

I also had a bunch of pubbies joining a Ragetail fight with Charrogg level gear today. I can't even. Such an astounding level of ineptitude. Like, how did you even get this far rocking that totally awesome 46 defense gear? I swear one guy lost 75% of his health off one basic attack.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Nalin posted:

holy poo poo

man it'd be real nice if the game ever actually told you any of this poo poo

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TetsuoTW posted:

holy poo poo

man it'd be real nice if the game ever actually told you any of this poo poo

Here's a tip that wasn't mentioned in the video: you don't have to pick up the broken parts. When the Behemoth dies, all the broken parts are automatically picked up for you. Don't be the dude who gets killed because he was trying to pick up the drops.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

HOLY poo poo

Really?

Well gently caress me dead.

Much like not knowing that has done a couple times.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Nalin posted:

Nalin posted:

Here's a tip that wasn't mentioned in the video: you don't have to pick up the broken parts. When the Behemoth dies, all the broken parts are automatically picked up for you. Don't be the dude who gets killed because he was trying to pick up the drops.

This poo poo should be in the op :monocle:

That vid in particular is really cool, that extra depth has really made the game a lot more fun, but it doesn't mention any of that poo poo.

I just had a hunt where I picked up like, 4 or 5 orbs from a Shrike and got no parts at all :(

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
This game has a ton of room to grow, but it's a good foundation. I'm actually having fun playing it, which is a surprise after how dreadful it was in the alpha.

I really hope they take another look at stamina regen rate and the sheathe/unsheathe states. Right now they're two major detractors to the flow of the combat.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I just had a hunt where I picked up like, 4 or 5 orbs from a Shrike and got no parts at all :(

There seems to be a bug right now where it shows "No break parts" at the end of the hunt. It seems to just be a visual glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I'm glad that they got their login queue issue sorted, but I also with there was more buzz around this game. I hadn't really heard much of anything about it until a streamer I follow for another game gave it a whirl. Dauntless' Twitch partners all seem to be way too WWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH annoying for my tastes, so I never would have stuck around to watch them and try myself if they had ended up in front of me somehow.

• Locked thread