Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Love Nikki - Dress Up Queen

This is a game for your phone. You can find it in the store that is inside of your phone.

In Love Nikki - Dress Up Queen you play as Nikki, the once and future dress-up queen. An amateur stylist in her own world, Nikki finds herself transported to the world of Miraland, the culture of which has somehow developed to rotate almost entirely around the ritual of the Fashion Battle.

The applications of the Fashion Battle are widespread. If you have just made a new friend, Fashion Battles are a good way to strengthen the bond between the two of you. If you are a witness to a robbery, a reasonable course of action would be to search your wardrobe, piece together an outfit appropriate for thief-taking, compete against the other witnesses to see who looks the cutest in their thief-taking outfits, and get filled in later by the people who actually brought the thief to justice. The "Nine-Days War," referred to darkly in the game's opening sequence, was a particularly vicious fashion battle that threatens to give rise to a tyrannical police state.

Clothes

These are the things you collect. While there is an account level feature, almost all of the progression in this game is tied to which clothes you have and which you are trying to acquire.

Each piece of clothing is assigned a category (which equipment slot it fits into, essentially), a heart rating (1-6. 6-stars are special story things, and gold 5-stars have special animations), and a rating in 5 of the 10 basic elemental attributes. Number of hearts doesn't mean that much outside of an item's attributes, but the best possible item for a specific challenge is very often a high-heart item.

Also, different pieces of clothes look different when you put them on your body. That is important to keep in mind when you are dressing up.

Things to Do With Clothes

The reason I've been obsessed with this over the past few weeks, and the reason I decided to try out aa thread that is definitely gonna be met with ridicule, is the kind of ridiculously large amount of poo poo there is to do. The tutorial introduces it all pretty well, but this is an effort post. Almost everything you can do is a way to get clothes, and most clothes can only be obtained in one or a few different ways.

Start Journey - These are the main PVE story levels, and the main place you'll spend stamina. Each level features a specific fashion battle with specific attribute requirements. You win if you score higher than your opponent, and receive an S-rank if you defeat them by a high enough margin.

Besides the ten basic attributes, specific levels might also test you for specific tags on your clothes - unisex clothes, a wedding dress, etc. - or even for specific pieces of clothing. While the levels are usually pretty clear about which attributes you're being tested on, how those attributes are weighted is fairly opaque. You can test things out yourself, or find a tool like https://ln.nikkis.info/ to do it for you. Battles also include the use of active skills that can be equipped and leveled up on their own.

The way your clothes actually look is not relevant when competing stages.

Once you've beaten a level on each difficulty (Maiden, Princess) you can auto-run that level in the future if you need what it drops. Levels can drop an item for defeating them and for S-Ranking them. Maiden levels can be run as often as you have the stamina for, but Princess levels are limited to 3/day.

Store - Purchase clothes for gold (drops from doing story levels and other things) or diamonds (cash currency).

Free Dressing - Dress-up for its own sake. No one will see what you do in here, and your efforts will not be rewarded.

Recipe Workshop - Use your clothes to craft other clothes. Customize lets you use dyes and fabrics to make color or pattern variations on clothes you already have. Design Crafts lets you follow recipes to turn large stacks of clothes into a new piece of clothing. These recipes must be obtained from levels or achievements or other shops, and are entirely nonsensical. Evolution works like Pokemon except your clothes never learn Water Cannon. Decompose lets you salvage clothes you don't need for parts. So that you can turn them into more clothes.

Starry Corridor - Just show off, basically. Dress-up and pose and put it out there for people to see. Rating other people's Starry Corridor entries gives a small trickle of rewards, including Honor, which you can use for different text backgrounds or whatever for your Starry Corridor entries.

Competition - One of two PVP modes. This is the one where it matters what your outfit looks like. Every few days there's a new theme - current theme is "Celestial Love," for example. Everyone submits their entry and then starts voting on other people's entries. You're rewarded for voting, and for how many votes you receive compared to everyone else. The rewards include Crystal Roses, which have their own shop associated with them.

Stylist's Arena - The other PVP mode. You compete in PVE-like challenges against whatever someone else used to complete that challenge. You receive rewards for each victory or loss, and a larger lump of rewards at the end of each "season," based on how you placed.
Rewards include Starlight Coins, which, of course, have their own shop - this one's particularly important, as it's full of recipes and dyes, and will usually be your bottleneck early.

Placing in the highest ranks means spending money, or at least saving up a lot of diamonds and blowing them in one go.

Stylist Association - Your guild, basically. Opens up at a certain point in the story mode. Associations come with the ability to do some more PVE levels for rewards that can be spent in the Association shop, which is randomly stocked with some things that can't be bought elsewhere, and some things that can, but maybe you'd rather spend this currency on it. Associations can level up and stuff and there are benefits.

Mystery House - Where the gachas are hidden. You get a free roll on each of these every day or so, and you can buy more. Each one accumulates some currency you can use to buy things on it directly.

Your Avatar - Click on this to view your account level, set up favorite sets (including the one your friends see by default) and spend gold to level up your skills.

Other Buttons -
Wardrobe lets you sort through all of the clothes you have and don't have. Useful when there's a piece you want that you don't know how to get.
Friends lets you check out what your friends are up to, and give them little stamina gifts.
Quest keeps track of a bunch of things you're rewarded for doing each day. This is how you get diamonds without paying for them, and is good if you don't memorize this post and have forgotten some of the stuff you might want to do.
Achievement is where the achievements are. There are little rewards.
Event a huge mess of sub-menu buttons that are worth exploring. Many of these are ongoing, and reward you for logging in each day or at specific times. There may also be an ongoing event. These are all structured differently, and set up to get you to cash if you want everything from them, but are worth checking out.
Any other button is probably directly trying to sell you something

Monetization
It's fun to play without spending money, but there are a million little ways the game reminds you that you could have what you want right now if you do spend money. Please play responsibly.

Resources
I use Nikki's Info a lot - https://ln.nikkis.info/ and the internet is awash in other tools.

Dress Up With Goons
You have to play the story to unlock Associations.

Join the Suede Stasi - ID 18507 if you want to. Make a post with your username, when you apply, or if you go to apply and it's full. It's not usually full, but it if is, there will probably be room within a few days.

If you actually play this game, and object to anything contained or not contained within this post, let me know.

Stagger_Lee fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

The way your clothes actually look is not relevant when competing stages.

oh no, so you can win while looking like a complete idiot?!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Minus the winning part, I do that already! :haw:

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

welp I'm not allowed to join a new association for another 12hrs but once that's up, I will be coming for you :toot: I love this game! and have spent way too much time and money on it, kill me

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Also, it's worth mentioning that the Starry Corridor is an excellent vehicle for creativity:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
That's a good use of the tiger.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Resources
I use Nikki's Info a lot - https://ln.nikkis.info/, and the internet is awash in other tools.

The link is broken by the comma.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
LoveNikkiWorld is good too, and there's a couple of facebook groups with some good file-based guides and things (Love Nikki Zen Garden is one). LNW has a searchable wardrobe and stage guides, but annoyingly there's no links in the wardrobe searches so the in-game one is often easier. The stage guides don't have much variety in acceptable options, but do include skills recommended and weights for attribute scoring.

that said I'm a big nerd and am gonna drive myself mad trying to get the mountain worth of star coins I need to be able to do anything, I'm stuck mid-chapter 7 and can't do anything without Princess drops, tons of star coins and more gold than I have.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm currently stopped mid chapter 4 and grinding up more coins w/ my energy instead of proceeding. I have no explanation for why I'm doing this, but I am!

I will drop my guild for the goon one asap. Thanks for making the thread!

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I accidentally read the entire op and this game kinda reminds me of gaia online. Except without the posting part.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
can you gently caress her

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

dangerdoom volvo posted:

can you gently caress her

I don’t understand what you mean. I’ve never heard of that kind of fashion battle.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I’m working on the suit required to complete chapter 8 (which apparently used to be a big hurdle, but now they give you half of it for free. So far the longest anything has taken for me is waiting for the week to end for the big influx of starlight coins.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I showed the OP to someone else and they said it ruined their month

thanks a lot OP

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Largepotato posted:

The link is broken by the comma.

Thank you, fashion friend.

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

This event is awful. There's nothing to really do other than dump your diamonds. Does anyone know what other events we might have coming up?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I've kind of liked this event. It's made me gold-rich, if nothing else. The previous, stamina-using event was the one that bummed me out.

I don't think I've seen any information on events that are coming up. Lots of previews of outfits that are released in other regions' versions of the game, but I don't think we always get the same events or order of events.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

What I've been hearing is that they're introducing the dream workshop (?) from one of the other versions, likely China - that's what the "quest item" tags are for in the decomp shop. No idea when, and we'll likely not get info on the next event for a while either considering this one is still going on. That was a quick turnaround from Snow Ball to this one though, so hopefully we'll see soon.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Same.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

me irl

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
The love Nikki subreddit is also a really good resource. I don't post In there but there's a stickied thread about the Valentine's day suit. I haven't had a chance to read it through yet though.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

I'm not sure this is appropriate bathing attire, but it's what Momo suggested.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Somebody: Hey, let's have a dress-up competition! Let's dress up in Common-sense office fashion!

Nikki: Bitches, behold my divine panopoly! I stole this veil from a snow goddess. Now watch my over-accessorized glory and despair! :black101:

Somebody: Holy poo poo, she really is the prettiest princess!

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Dehry posted:

I'm not sure this is appropriate bathing attire, but it's what Momo suggested.

No, it’s great. You are beautiful.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
Better than a whole pile of grilled fish!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had a bunch of stamina saved up from the New Year events and unlocked the Valentines Day stuff. It's breaking the early game.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Dehry posted:

I had a bunch of stamina saved up from the New Year events and unlocked the Valentines Day stuff. It's breaking the early game.

Yeah man, I bet. Centaurs are powerful early in Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, too.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Oh god, I love this stupid game. Was not expecting a thread here, though.

I feel like part of the fun in fashion battles is figuring out the best pieces, so I haven't made use of the third-party tools. I haven't gotten to the really challenging stages, though. Right now I feel like the biggest struggle is making an outfit that scores a lot of points and isn't unbearably hideous.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

EgoEgress posted:

isn't unbearably hideous.

What?

Nikki is always the prettiest princess.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I love this game way too much. It's fun seeing how ridiculous you look in high point outfits and it's fun dressing to theme in the competitions. Story is better than one would think for a fashion gacha, which still isn't great, but it's fun, which is a nice bonus.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I hate this particular competition. I can't get anything higher than 45th percentile.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Top 10% over here :smug:

The voters are really liking flower themes rn.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 15, 2018

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm at top 31% and I'm pretty confused. I never wind up above 90 and I don't have any really flashy stuff related to the common competition themes (this one included). I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth though.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

If you have at least the main piece of one of the current event sets you'll score high. I switched three times this competition, one for each of the flower/chocolate sets and once to use the Cake Dream dress with some Valentine's accessories, and hit at least top 10% each time. Most recent one dropped to top 51% after I stopped keeping track of it though, so time to switch again. 8 of the top 10 are currently using the rose dress :v:

e: I used to try to S levels without using a guide but I finally got annoyed somewhere around the middle of ch7 and started just glassing them with the LNI guides. See also arenas. Competitions are where I can flex my creativity, levels are for pounding the opponent into sand with outfits that look like your senile grandmother dressed you in the dark

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I made my outfit before intercting with the Valentine's event. I have the dress now so I guess I will remake. Let's see how it goes.

vivisecting
Dec 13, 2012

it's been 15 years but im still upset that yamato became an astronaut and yet absolutely no one joined the federation since thats actually more plausible than that ending
My self-control with this game is.... so.. bad...........

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

the current event outfits just make me go :swoon:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

vivisecting posted:

My self-control with this game is.... so.. bad...........

Figuring out I'm about $50 from the next level has at least slowed my buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Please don't put any pressure on the parts of life that matter to you because you spent too much on dresses for Nikki.

Nikki already has the dresses. She won't feel bad if you moderate.

• Locked thread