Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I honestly surprised at this point that there isn't a bethesda emote that is just a picture of a donkey violently making GBS threads itself.

:bethesda: for when someone takes the idea and runs with it.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

lost my retainer posted:

For the people that haven't followed the patch news, I'm not being hyperbolic :

Hahaha, and simultaneously Bethesda refuses to raise the storage cap or give players better means of resource storage, gotta pay $13 a month for that.

I actually threw away my excess steel the other day (4K) because I'd rather not bother carrying it around and it was eating up space. Wish I'd knew it would have some use, but I can't sell it, so...

Ossipago posted:

The drops are bugged at the moment too. There's a chance it doesn't even recognize the turn-in and you just lose the mats for nothing. The only interesting rewards are the gamewide ones, so there's really no real reason to not just be a leech. Unless they add an exclusive cosmetic drop (that actually drops) from the turn-ins...

I don't see a single goal being met given the high number, but also wouldn't be surprised if they faked it and said we made it despite being at 10%.

Having no storage sure is a great incentive to get people contributing during these events. But yeah, isn't that usually how it goes in games that have events like this? You can't be sure players are actually contributing enough and there's no way to know if the devs are just fudging the numbers, CIG-style.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

ErrEff posted:

Having no storage sure is a great incentive to get people contributing during these events. But yeah, isn't that usually how it goes in games that have events like this? You can't be sure players are actually contributing enough and there's no way to know if the devs are just fudging the numbers, CIG-style.
I like that one of this week's Weekly Challenges is to collect wood 100 times (not collect 100 wood, that's far less work) and none of the community goals are for a fuckton of wood.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Heh, that's great. The goals are probably randomly generated aside from the standard level up/trade with players/gold star ones, nobody is curating that poo poo.

So the third part is 200 million cork. Not only is cork not terribly common in the game world but the reward is double SCORE during the week after. Now, the people most likely to be willing to contribute to this massive waste of time are the most hardcore players that have hundreds of levels and have done basically everything in the game. The problem is, these players will possibly already have maxed out the season board with their excess atoms or huge xp gains so the reward is loving pointless for them, and so they probably won't participate (because it comes after two other huge timesinks that have actual tangible rewards), and so it'll actually just end up hurting the casual players that are trying to get some season progress done.

Basically, by holding that SCORE boost event hostage behind this, they are discouraging players and hurting the game.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Are there really that many people playing fo76 that these goals are realistic? What are the odds Beth is going to completely fabricate donation numbers to make it seem like the game is more popular than it is?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

xxEightxx posted:

Are there really that many people playing fo76 that these goals are realistic? What are the odds Beth is going to completely fabricate donation numbers to make it seem like the game is more popular than it is?

In theory a daily player with fallout 1st could have tons of thousands of a resource in a scrap box. Who knows how many of those there are.

Most games do fabricate donation numbers, but i could see bethesda letting the community fail and become even more discouraged.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe they were counting on the duping community chipping in.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Rinkles posted:

They are very much calculating bots into the equation;many mmos tend to do that during such riveting "gameplay"

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

xxEightxx posted:

To an extent. Any 1st doing Line in the Sand for XP recently has tens of thousands of excess steel, cloth and wood from weapon scrapping. I personally dropped 30k steel in the box this morning, and I haven’t been hitting LITS anywhere near as hard as some veterans who have already completed Legendary Run have.

If a phase fails, it’s going to be for the cork and glass turn-ins. Probably plastic and concrete as well. Wood is a joke, Helvetia wood shed is like 300-400 wood per collection every few hours with the proper perk.

Varance fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 5, 2020

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

gently caress no we're not helping. this event sucks. besides, no one I know duped cork or concrete in the stackable dupe and no one did mats during the most recent dupewave.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I 100% bet that this is a fake turn in thing and every single reward tier even if it isn't to somehow prove fo76 is not dead.
I expect them to come out and say each week that the supplies have been turned in completely.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

ErrEff posted:

I actually threw away my excess steel the other day (4K) because I'd rather not bother carrying it around and it was eating up space. Wish I'd knew it would have some use, but I can't sell it, so...

You can turn it into bulk steel as long as you've got some plastic. That can be sold.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

they...they made the ammo converter worse :psyduck:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Aug 6, 2020

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
I mean it was basically unusable as it was, what have they done to it now?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Dravs posted:

I mean it was basically unusable as it was, what have they done to it now?

In the old version it only showed ammunition types you had on you in sufficient quantities to make a conversion, now all the buy/sell options always show once you select the type, so you get a screen like:

-10mm-
>Buy x20 for -100 points
>Buy x200 for -1000 points
>Buy x2000 for -10000 points
>Sell x20 for +50 points
>Sell x200 for +500 points
>Sell x2000 for +5000 points

regardless of the actual amount of 10mm in your inventory, if any

So you basically have to check your inventory and remember how much of each ammo type you have before accessing the machine.

Also it only converts in multiples of 10 for some dumb reason, so if the basic multiple for a given caliber is, say, 18 bullets, you can only convert 18, 180 or 1800 (not 18, 36, 54, 72, etc).

EDIT: I suppose if you're carrying around obscene amounts of ammo it does make it slightly easier to convert them without it taking forever like it used to

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 6, 2020

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You can turn it into bulk steel as long as you've got some plastic. That can be sold.

Guess I must've misread the UI because when I was trying to sell it I thought the game said my bulk stuff had a value of 0 and the train station robots wouldn't take it. Guess I know better now - would be nice if the game told me with a less terrible UI, though!

Oh, and cool to hear the ammo converter was somehow made less user-friendly. Is it seriously that hard to make a "Convert all ammo in inventory" or "Convert all ammo in storage" option that then does a check for how many stacks you have? Are they so afraid of duping that this one-on-one method is the only way they think is safe?

ErrEff fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 6, 2020

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Thank you to the good goon who gave me a legacy exploding flamer. You are the best.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

By the way, Bethesda's tracker for this event is here.

They claim it's 108.86m out of 125m steel.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Maybe we are completely at a loss that a few hundred thousand players of fo76 are actually playing the game.

9,000 daily average on steamcharts turning in 250 steel once is around 2 million steel.

Oh no its worse than possibly imaginable
https://bethesda.net/community/topic/422323/so-how-much-steel-did-you-donate?language%5B%5D=en&lang=en-US&page=1

fo76 scrap whales

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 6, 2020

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Has anyone been able to donate bulk steel? It seems to only accept steel scrap. :(

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Comrade Koba posted:

So you basically have to check your inventory and remember how much of each ammo type you have before accessing the machine.
I have a real hard time with this because I forget between going from my inventory to turning it in. Why can't they show you the current number you have like the Lode Bearing tokens or Watoga High Candy tokens? Ok I have 193x 5.66 ammo, now I just go through this animation, then menu system and I haaaaaad.... 200? Nope apparently not. I have 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, tab, 20, oops that's it now I just menu around and get my 30x 45 caliber. Totally worth it compared to crafting 2x to get 42!

For a second I thought I'd better log in quick and turn in some steel so I can get a beret before the alleged whales hit the goal but hahaha I don't give a poo poo, I'm just 20 SCORE levels from uninstalling.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 6, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You collect 120 000 000 pieces of aluminum and then the game suffers a permanent fatal error that kills every installation of the game playerbase-wide.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Has anyone been in the PTS? From what I've heard, it seems like the reason A Colossal Problem keeps getting delayed is because Bethesda keeps making it worse lol.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

i flunked out posted:

Has anyone been in the PTS? From what I've heard, it seems like the reason A Colossal Problem keeps getting delayed is because Bethesda keeps making it worse lol.

That is great. I know when it was first on the pts it had minor non-game breaking bugs and the only complaint was it was a little easy.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

i flunked out posted:

Has anyone been in the PTS? From what I've heard, it seems like the reason [event] keeps getting delayed is because Bethesda keeps making it worse lol.

This should just be the thread title honestly.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Comrade Koba posted:

You know when you sell or move more than 5 items at a time the game brings up a slider bar? Why couldn't someone just make a simpler conversation point formula per ammo type and not waste time with some convoluted lovely UI?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CheeseSpawn posted:

You know when you sell or move more than 5 items at a time the game brings up a slider bar? Why couldn't someone just make a simpler conversation point formula per ammo type and not waste time with some convoluted lovely UI?
Because they would have to completely remake the converter to do that. Stop gap fixes are much easier to implement. :effort:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Got the FO4 GOTY for :20bux:-2, excited to check out Far Harbor. What are good mods?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

CheeseSpawn posted:

loving this.

The basic trading/inventory interface isn’t amazing but it works. Adapting it to the ammo converter/ammo points system would be easy, but no, they had to code a brand new extremely obtuse system from scratch instead.

EDIT: or just make ammo sellable in basic stores jfc

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
how they just didn't break down any selected ammo into gunpower+lead+steel or whatever is just dumb

also you can't buy ultracite rounds with it, so why bother with this convoluted mess of a system

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

https://youtu.be/n_fvitKchbk

Killed the SBQ before she was able to mutate somehow. I think I might have peaked on my legendary rolls. That was using a bloodied gauss minigun.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Is the game even fun at that point?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

MarshyMcFly posted:

https://youtu.be/n_fvitKchbk

Killed the SBQ before she was able to mutate somehow. I think I might have peaked on my legendary rolls. That was using a bloodied gauss minigun.

I see that it says B33A, does the 33 stand for 33% higher vats chance? If so It's a magic legendary that does a large amount of damage over what its telling you it does.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its the second highest dps gun in the game, the higher being the same gun with 25% faster fire rate.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

i flunked out posted:

I see that it says B33A, does the 33 stand for 33% higher vats chance? If so It's a magic legendary that does a large amount of damage over what its telling you it does.

It’s a bloodied, 33% higher VATS hit chance, and +1 agility Gauss Minigun. I had no idea what to expect but that’s the first time I’ve seen this before. I don’t even know if someone else had a glitched gun too.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
I was going to guess furious or something the way the health just plummeted around the 70% mark. Wouldn’t surprise me if there was some bad math, does it do that with all mobs you fight?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

MarshyMcFly posted:

It’s a bloodied, 33% higher VATS hit chance, and +1 agility Gauss Minigun. I had no idea what to expect but that’s the first time I’ve seen this before. I don’t even know if someone else had a glitched gun too.

The fo76 dmg calc says that gun you used does 2k~ dps after SBQ DR so that looks right for the speed you killed it. You can see mutated kicks in right before she dies but you out dps'd the mutation healing. SBQ has 30k hp.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 8, 2020

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

xxEightxx posted:

I was going to guess furious or something the way the health just plummeted around the 70% mark. Wouldn’t surprise me if there was some bad math, does it do that with all mobs you fight?

Furious tops out at + 50% extra damage.

MarshyMcFly posted:

Nice dude, you got yourself a magical legendary. Since the gauss minigun has explosive rounds, it effectively doubles the fire rate, bringing it over 200. For some reason, when your heavy weapons have a fire rate over 200 (or over 100 & explosive) and have either the instigating, junkies, or medics primary perks, or the 33% hit chance, 50% limb damage, or bashing damage secondary perks, it does something with the weapon and makes it absolutely melt poo poo. I’m pretty sure Bethesda knows about it and hasn’t done anything about it lol

Here’s a video from a couple of months ago about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vno3BICsakI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Interesting, heres a link to the article he talks about in the video.

https://fed76.info/a/limb-damage-bug/
super good netcode here.

Basically overloading the server and then it just guesses for magic damage lol. damage just works