Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
FWIW Ground pounder makes a significant difference if you want to do a run and gun instead of a vats commando. The reload speed is nice, but never actually having to aim down the sights is pretty op, especially when you are in 3rd person, and both the handmade and fixer absolutely beam with ground pounder.

If you are doing a vats commando build there is no reason to get ground pounder tbh. Speed demon is good at reducing reload speed, theres mods on weapons that allow for faster reload, and you can get reload speed as a legendary effect. You also get no bonus at all in vats from improving your hip fire accuracy, despite what rumors always say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does it still take hundreds of hours to actually get all the right legendaries for a build?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Chamale posted:

Does it still take hundreds of hours to actually get all the right legendaries for a build?

Come on man, why would they get rid of the endgame content?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sensenmann posted:

Biggest upside of the Broadsider is how easy it is to farm ammo during DOs. All those cannonballs can be turned in at the ammo machine for a lot of points.

A Flechette Harpoon Gun is very nice. Again, needs to be Quad for maximum fun. Explosive would be nice but that can no longer drop. If you find one in a player Vendor for cheap, buy it before the seller realizes their mistake.

I say Quad is needed for fun just because the mag size, well, not a lot without. lol

yeah Quad for either of these is pretty decent and the ammo is dirt cheap. you can carry a "for reals" 2-shot auto grenade launcher or whatever when you need to do serious poo poo.
e: hellfire launcher is very bad unless the recent energy dmg buff helped it a lot (I don't think it did). missile launcher is effective but extremely overkill and in practice has the same downsides of the broadsider without a lot of effective utility.

Chamale posted:

the only really important item for me in this sense is the weapon, all my armors on 3 completely different character setups are just random poo poo of a single set. the performance difference is really only perceptible on Earle or the SB Queen anyway, everything else dies in one burst/one shot/one swing/one boom.
e: none of these characters is even all that built out, while they do have all the legendary perk slots unlocked I don't think any has a legendary perk card higher than rank 3

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 5, 2022

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Bloodied, TS or Instigate cryolator can be fun with a HW build out. The downside is if course the limited range and mag size is just pathetic like the Tesla guns.

I actually prefer a Tesla and cryolator over a shotgun for ghouls specifically since these can pass through and hit multiple at a time at close range.

But nothing beats a legacy explosive flamer if you can get your hands on one. The recent energy weapons buff made them crazy good and they have amazing ammo capacity, range and damage, plus burning not that does much.

Explosive Gatling plasma is the current trend. I've yet been able to one of those, but I don't think those along with normal Gatling guns, 50cal and miniguns are all that great to begin with. But at least it's nice to see people moving away from the old meta of two shot explosive 50 cals finally.

I had high hopes for Aristocrat, Gourmands and Mutants to shift things away from Bloodied, but unyielding armor and related perks are still too good, same issues with Junkies :(

Wish I could go back in time to the early days before the two shot nerf!

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 5, 2022

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Stranger in a Strange Land
Unarmed Trip Report: After taking the advice of the thread and switching from 2H to fists, I went from two-shotting most mobs with a war glaive to sprinting up to them shouting "ONE PUUUUUUUUNCH" and then...pretty much running straight through them. I'm using Party Boy now that I have room for it in my spec, so my standard MO is getting whiskey drunk and starting a bar fight with anything I see, and the damage difference really is night and day.

I upgraded from the power fist to an electrified gauntlet, which looks like the bastard child of a pneumatic hammer and a cattle prod, and thus is awesome. I don't know why this does so much more damage than a heated power fist, but it definitely does. I figured energy damage would be more heavily resisted than fire damage, but I guess I was wrong? I'm still gambling on legendary qualities to try and get Faster Swings, but at the moment +damage per mutation/stronger power attacks/+1 STR is doing work.

I haven't fought Earle since I switched, but I think the damage buff is noticeable on the Queen. It's definitely noticeable on anything smaller. I got jumped by a legendary scorchbeast last night and as soon as it landed it went from full health to lying in a hand-shaped crater like the end of Kung Fu Hustle in seconds. Unarmed is good. :thumbsup:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Party Boy is really good if you're into consumables, you should also check out the daily quests given out by the booze robot at the speakeasy and unlock some of the cool recipes.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Oh drat, booze-bot has dailies? Thanks for the tip, I'm going to look into that.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think each stat can only be buffed by a single effect but there's *a lot* of recipes and if you have any particular stat that is inconvenient to buff or you don't have anything handy for it otherwise, booze is a good way especially with Party Boy.
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Brewing_and_distilling

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
certain consumables can stack effects in taken in the right order. some consumables are broken and can stack on themselves (its a large part of why pvp sucks in the game)

And as always, different types of consumables can stack on top of each other, even if they have the same effect. Food/Drink can stack an effect with a magazine, bobblehead, or chem.

Melee actually has alot you can buff with, its pretty great. You should always be drunk for the strength, and you should always be eating things like glowing meat steak, Yao guai ribs, mutant hound chops, sheepsquatch food #1 (These are the 5% buffs), Yao guai roast, mutant hound other food, sheepsquatch food #2 (these are 10% buffs). Since you're an unarmed player Morality_Police, try fighting hosed up on nukashine. Its a ridiculously large buff and as long as you die while on it, you dont have to worry about teleporting.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

i flunked out posted:

Since you're an unarmed player Morality_Police, try fighting hosed up on nukashine. Its a ridiculously large buff and as long as you die while on it, you dont have to worry about teleporting.

but I don't like dying OR blackout teleporting!

In seriousness, that's a good tip, the main thing that has prevented me from using Nukashine is the blackouts, so I guess that's one way to avoid it.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Note that if you're into home-made booze, the fermenter uses the same mechanics as food spoilage, so having the Good with Salt perk equipped or using a Refridgerated Backpack slows the fermentation rate way down. Remove those when you ferment stuff.

And no, I'm not kidding.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Does it do that with things in your stash too? Holy poo poo that's stupid lmao

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Not sure, never tested it with stashed items that can spoil.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The spoilage mechanic being in game still is one of those leftover headscratchers

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i dont understand the spoilage mechanic. it just means i will never, ever cook any of the fancy recipes because by the time i find all the ingredients the first ones have rotted away. i even have all the growable crops at my house, but you need like star berries or some poo poo that only grows wild for every good recipe.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Making it so you can't grow every plant was also stupid.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Good with Salt helps a lot. I always have a load of Corn Soup, Cranberry Relish and Blight Soup on me and it takes a long time for that stuff to spoil. The spoilage mechanic is annoying but it's not unmanagable.

And those are probably Starlight berries. Find "The Deep". If you've done the Wastelander questline you probably already have that location on your map. A lot of Starlight creeper bushes to harvest them from. Black Mountain Ordnance also has a reasonable amount around the area.

Fyi, the only reason (I can think of anyways) to farm them in the first place is if you want to make Sweet Labrador Tea and turn that into Company Tea for the excellent AP buff.

Always harvest the rarest ingredients first and don't forget to slot in Green Thumb.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah I got into using Good with Salt on all my characters and the spoilage thing doesn't bother me either, it's not a fun mechanic overall but at least you can mostly ignore it if you take that perk.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Thisle is the real pain in the rear end to gather as there's like 5 plants total in the entire game around the water park in toxic valley. Most of them don't like to spawn and be pickable ...

I find collecting irradiated sugar bombs to also a pain for brain bombs because they also have an identical non-irradated version too. Brain soup is good enough with far less hassle.

Royal jelly spawns in like 1 place and it's a bitch to reach. gently caress that noise.

Starlight berries (and fire caps) are so much easier to find around Gulch Mine exit just north of the Wayward and The Deep and some berry plants near the TNT dome harzious waste area. I spent like 30 mins grabbing them and made like 200 berry mentats with one run.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

Thisle is the real pain in the rear end to gather as there's like 5 plants total in the entire game around the water park in toxic valley. Most of them don't like to spawn and be pickable ...

I find collecting irradiated sugar bombs to also a pain for brain bombs because they also have an identical non-irradated version too. Brain soup is good enough with far less hassle.

Royal jelly spawns in like 1 place and it's a bitch to reach. gently caress that noise.

Starlight berries (and fire caps) are so much easier to find around Gulch Mine exit just north of the Wayward and The Deep and some berry plants near the TNT dome harzious waste area. I spent like 30 mins grabbing them and made like 200 berry mentats with one run.

I was curious about this and fired up Mappalachia.

Never noticed how little Royal Jelly there actually is as I tend to hunt Honey Bees instead.

HB spawn points:

Meat Week comes up soon again so Honey Beasts will spawn a lot more.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 7, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i am looking forward to meat week so i can finally get the pepperpot heavy shotgun thing. I wish there were more raidery-aesthetic heavy weapons, all the good ones are very high tech looking

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Well, not the best one (the shredder)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i have been using the shredder a lot lately. i have a vampire one (not really any great other effects but still) and i use it to tank earl and be a hero. I wish any of the actual customizable melee weapons were as good as the shredded, like the mr handy buzz blade or the chainsaw. I have a dual bladed, flaming chainsaw but it absolutely sucks rear end which is very depressing.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Again this really only stands out vs. the absolute top bosses like Earle and the SB Queen, you can do great burst damage with a super sledge or plasma glaive or whatever with power attacking but it's limited by AP. It may not be obvious but head hits do double damage even with melee, so aim for the face.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Over the weekend I knocked out my Tadpole badges, yay full-size backpack! I ended up going with Medic, Entomologist, and Athlete. The only pain in the rear end part was finding ants to photograph. Learning there was literally no spot on the map guaranteed to spawn ants cracked me up, of COURSE there isn't! I ended up just running from point to point in the Cranberry Bog, trekking from Watoga High to Thunder Mountain power station to Appalachian Antiques until I got lucky. The Tea Time event would have been easier, but of course once I needed it, it never popped again all weekend, at least while I was playing.

I've been eyeing up the Possum badge requirements and they're...pretty demanding. Are any of the Possum badge rewards worth it? The refrigerated backpack mod one seems okay since it gives me back the perk points from Good With Salt, but honestly I'd just as soon get the Chemist or Grocer mods for bullion, since those also give me back 2-3 points, and don't seem to reduce carry capacity. The rest of the rewards seem sort of lackluster, but I've been wrong about literally every other assumption I've made about this game, so I assume I'm wildly incorrect now as well.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
People pay a lot of caps for the Possum Backpack mods because they're too lazy to do the badges/quests themselves. Like 16k minimum, up to ~29k. So, if you feel like grinding them out you might be able to make some decent caps from it all.

The same is true for the dailies at Camden Park. The two Mascot outfit parts require 300 and 150 tokens, so people tend to buy them instead.

I have 3 complete sets just because I do them when I see them.

Generally speaking, if it requires "effort", a lot of people who play this game will rather trade or buy from your vendor. I got a lot of good poo poo from selling grind items to rubes. lol

As for which mod to get, just get the one that allows you to slot in more useful perks for your build.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 8, 2022

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

To me it seemed pretty obvious to keep Good with Salt slotted and go with one of the weight reducer backpack mods. Keep in mind those backpack mods won't help you while you're in PA though.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

This has raised a more general question for me about 76...what does one DO with tens of thousands of caps? I know there's always buying legacy weapons and/or old/rare event rewards/hard-to-get plans off of other players, but for official money sinks, what is there aside from the various serum recipes? I haven't seen any, so I assume there's just buying all the various plans and recipes from vendor bots?

I feel like the idea of endgame content was sort of a headscratcher for Bethesda. Aside from Earle and the Queen, there don't seem to be endgame bosses, there's no real endgame gear progression besides gambling for legendary perks, although they kind of addressed this with the various bullion armor sets, there's not raids really (in the traditional "long dungeon with one or more bosses" template) aside from nuke silos, and it sounds like most people glitch through those anyway. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, this game has seemed like a sort of ontological thought experiment since day one where they were just sort of riffing on the idea of an MMO, like, "if we make an MMO, but strip out the endgame treadmills, limit server population, etc. is it still an MMO? When does it stop being an MMO< and what does it turn into?"

Maybe this is more reflective of a genre like RUST-esque survival games? I'm out of touch and never really played any of that genre, so maybe I am applying the wrong framework to 76, and thinking of it as a janky MMO when in fact it is more akin to a janky RUST-like.

Also, I apologize for rambling in the thread about stuff that has probably been hashed out here dozens of times. I was late to the 76 party, and am having my revelations now, some 4 years after launch.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

End game raids are severely lacking. Considering how many 4 player dungeons there are in Elder Scrolls Online this seems like it should be a no brainer I don't get it either.

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Another Bill posted:

End game raids are severely lacking. Considering how many 4 player dungeons there are in Elder Scrolls Online this seems like it should be a no brainer I don't get it either.

Yeah honestly, I figured after the success of ESO Bethesda would have figured out how to apply the things that worked to 76. I just have trouble believing the 76 team were surprised by this information, like, "You mean to tell me people ENJOY doing instanced group dungeons like in every MMO of the last 20+ years??"

I know ESO and 76 are entirely different teams, but come on Todd!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Morality_Police posted:

This has raised a more general question for me about 76...what does one DO with tens of thousands of caps? I know there's always buying legacy weapons and/or old/rare event rewards/hard-to-get plans off of other players, but for official money sinks, what is there aside from the various serum recipes? I haven't seen any, so I assume there's just buying all the various plans and recipes from vendor bots?

it's OK to realize that you won the game and maybe not play as much, or at all :shrug:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

it's OK to realize that you won the game and maybe not play as much, or at all :shrug:

Oh poo poo, have I won Fallout? Hey fellas! I won Fallout! I did it!

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I mean when you've done all the quest content and have done all the events a few times .... congratulations, you won :shrug:

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean when you've done all the quest content and have done all the events a few times .... congratulations, you won :shrug:

I mean, that's not remotely what I asked, but yeah man totally

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Morality_Police posted:

Yeah honestly, I figured after the success of ESO Bethesda would have figured out how to apply the things that worked to 76. I just have trouble believing the 76 team were surprised by this information, like, "You mean to tell me people ENJOY doing instanced group dungeons like in every MMO of the last 20+ years??"

I know ESO and 76 are entirely different teams, but come on Todd!

remembering the article from like a month or two back where it was revealed execs shot down most of the 76 team's more mmo-y ideas or attempts to look at ESO because they believed ESO was just a total fluke that was going to burn out and no one would care in a year

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It ... wasn't meant as an unfriendly comment but ok dude

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

remembering the article from like a month or two back where it was revealed execs shot down most of the 76 team's more mmo-y ideas or attempts to look at ESO because they believed ESO was just a total fluke that was going to burn out and no one would care in a year

I haven't read that article, but I love this.

Flesh Forge posted:

It ... wasn't meant as an unfriendly comment but ok dude

Sorry, perils of the internet, it read as snark. If I misinterpreted intent, mea maxima culpa.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No it wasn't snarky, I've reached that point with F76 but I have about 700 hours logged. You're right that there isn't a real "end game" except for the satisfaction of having the Perfect Build (which I never cared about) or like, beating Earle solo in less time than some other guy did with X equipment and Y perks. I'm OK with that, I definitely have gotten my money's worth from the game and it's still fun to log in from time to time and chunk some super mutants or cultists with my giant cocktail mixer Frankengun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morality_Police
Mar 25, 2015

Totally fair points. I'm coming at this from the perspective of someone who played several MMOs for...much longer than was probably wise or healthy, and it's sort of wacky to come into one years into its lifespan where they haven't really figured out the endgame yet. That being said, I have to remind myself that WoW didn't even have any of the big gold sinks like super expensive mounts until like...what, Wrath of the Lich King, I think. So maybe it's still too early for 76 to have instituted endgame money sinks, assuming they're determined to learn every lesson of MMO design firsthand.

...that still doesn't explain the general dearth of instanced group content though. :colbert:

Flesh Forge posted:

my giant cocktail mixer Frankengun.

I have no idea what weapon this would be, and I only half want you to tell me, because the mental image I'm coming up with in my head is really good.