Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I've thought it looked ugly since the original trailer and nothing I've seen since has changed my opinion. It literally looks like a Funny or Die sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I've thought it looked ugly since the original trailer and nothing I've seen since has changed my opinion. It literally looks like a Funny or Die sketch

It does have a weird sketch quality - this video, at least. Didn't notice anything like it in the trailer.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its the power armor looking like its being dragged down via mouseclick that makes it look that goofy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout should be goofy

It should be 1950s sci-fi B-movie

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Juxtaposed against sociological struggles and grappling with the xenophobia and greed that hides behind the veneer of futurism.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
if I wanted a highbrow post apocalypse, I would just watch furiosa when it comes out.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

if I wanted a highbrow post apocalypse, I would just watch furiosa when it comes out.

Trailer for that looks worse than for Fallout

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

I've thought it looked ugly since the original trailer and nothing I've seen since has changed my opinion.

I don't know if I'd call it ugly, but something about it has looked off to me, since the initial reveal. Everything looks fake, not in a "lol wacky zombie man and giant bugs!!" way but more of a stage-play rehearsal behind the scenes footage way? I guess I'd like to see some footage from a scene that's trying to hook me (serious or not) rather than one that's just a parade of That Thing I Know From The Games

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know how any of you can say that looks bad when it's clearly Walton Ghoulggins having a ton of fun listening to and looking at all the goofy stuff happening around him.

I feel like most of us detractors are fine with the concept of the scene, which is what you're describing, but the execution is rubbing us the wrong way lol

Also he looks fine, but imo they didn't go far enough with the ghoul makeup. I think he needs contacts or something

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Whoever said it had the look of a Funny or Die video absolutely nailed it. It looks like a 2010s internet video, simply in terms of visual design, "visible" budget and execution. Especially with the bad CGI power armor.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It's lit really flatly which adds to the cheapness, I think. And it's shot in a pretty dull shot/reverse shot way, so there's no real tension to what you'd expect to be a tense situation.

I'm not saying it's a lost cause or anything though, I think there's always a bit of the jolt of the uncanny when you first see a franchise "brought to life" or whatever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Whoever said it had the look of a Funny or Die video absolutely nailed it. It looks like a 2010s internet video, simply in terms of visual design, "visible" budget and execution. Especially with the bad CGI power armor.

its literally a practical costume.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yes it's lit like a commercial

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Babe Magnet posted:

I don't know if I'd call it ugly, but something about it has looked off to me, since the initial reveal. Everything looks fake, not in a "lol wacky zombie man and giant bugs!!" way but more of a stage-play rehearsal behind the scenes footage way? I guess I'd like to see some footage from a scene that's trying to hook me (serious or not) rather than one that's just a parade of That Thing I Know From The Games

I feel like most of us detractors are fine with the concept of the scene, which is what you're describing, but the execution is rubbing us the wrong way lol

Also he looks fine, but imo they didn't go far enough with the ghoul makeup. I think he needs contacts or something

I think they just didn't want to cover Walton Goggin's face too thoroughly tbh, he's going to be doing most of the heavy lifting for the show, you want the audience to be able to see him

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I get that, they're trapped between making a cooler, more accurate looking ghoul and casting walton goggins for him. I get it, but it's a trap of their own making, so it's hard to feel too bad about it lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone here familiar with the "Real Time Settler" mod for New Vegas? I was told that this was the inspiration for FO4's settlements so I was wondering if someone here has ever played with it.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

Fallout should be goofy

It should be 1950s sci-fi B-movie

Not really. It takes elements from that but it was never a full-on farce, at least not before 4. Look at the artwork for the original games or the concept art for Fallout 3. The retro futurism is there and distinctive, but the overall aesthetic is not goofy or cartoonish.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The main antagonist in fallout 1 is a comic book mad scientist that turns people into green monsters - to take over the world.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yes and it's not goofy at all

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The opening to Fallout from which everybody takes the "50s science wackiness" bullshit was in actuality like the most cynical and jaded thing ever, lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
pulp doesn't have to be goofy. Its just not down to earth. Supermutants having to literally pull their lips back to speak is goofy. People huffing cowdung from inhalers is goofy. The canticle-for-liebowitz people trying to introduce technology safely to people that need it isn't goofy, its serious and taken seriously.

In the same way the protagonist lady failing her speech check can be goofy but her walking across the ruins of a once thriving civilization is somber.

steinrokkan posted:

The opening to Fallout from which everybody takes the "50s science wackiness" bullshit was in actuality like the most cynical and jaded thing ever, lol

It was the 1990s after all. The X-files managed to balance both ideas.

Tankbuster fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 22, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They made future cocaine out of cow poop

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Does anyone actually still play this game

I bought it full price at launch and didn't get to somewhat enjoy it until a year or so later lol

(76)

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

AEMINAL posted:

I bought it full price at launch and didn't get to somewhat enjoy it until a year or so later lol

(76)

I played it for a few hours and nope'd out. It was pretty but boring. This is coming from someone that put in around 1000 hours into Fallout 4.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I'm not playing it currently. But I'll pick it back up for a while when the new scoreboard comes out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I got it when it was free on PS Plus, but have never actually started it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Enjoyed it quite a lot, about 750 hours worth, and then stopped a little bit before they rolled out the Atlantic City expedition stuff and haven't gotten back around to it.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I recently got back in to but you eventually hit a wall where it stops being fun and there’s nothing to do aside from events - I even have fallout 1st but I think I’ll stop if this new season isn’t fun for a few months

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I play it and enjoy it. It's a really chill game. I can just farm poo poo, do some scoreboard dailies, join an event or two, try a new build, fiddle around with my camp, whatever. I just stop when I'm bored and come back after an update or two. My next goal other than getting equipment together for a bloodied build is to finally launch a nuke. It's just something I've never bothered to do before even though I have all the prereqs taken care of with the enclave.

e: Also the game is a lot different than when it controversially released with no NPCs. They've added NPCs, a bunch of factions, questlines, etc over the years. I'm not trying to sell it as something amazing, but if you are looking for a multiplayer Fallout I think it is pretty good and I actually like the map more than I liked most of the other 3D Fallout maps. I also like that it isn't scared to just let you be crazy overpowered eventually.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 23, 2024

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rappaport posted:

I'm playing with the Steam F2 install, and if I go to the game options from the main menu, I can adjust the display options to scale the resolution by a factor of two, so it blows up the sprites and graphics to twice their size even on a sensible resolution. I think this might be from the high res patch?

Oh, that's the issue. I thought the 'Scaling x2' box was already ticked. I did that and I got a proper view.

Well, since that post, I've been continuing with Fallout 2, and managed to finish it today.

I don't remember the exact order in which I did things, but once New Reno, I started going back-and-forth between various towns to do quests to get some more levels. I remember I got up to Level 10 so I could do the sheriff quests in Redding. I went back to Broken Hills to fix the mine purifier and resolve the conspiracy quest so I could recruit Marcus and have a full party along with Sulik and Cassidy. At some point, I picked up the .223 pistol, which helped give me an edge in combat.

I know this isn't anything new, but having party members is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help. It helps to have people along to carry stuff, and with the character I made, backup was probably necessary. However, even with the improvements F2 made to companions, they're still not as efficient as I'd like. There was a lot of friendly fire bursts, and I had to reload a few times because someone got killed because of it. Other times, though, they wouldn't use bursts when it seemed like it'd be safer. Sometimes, they act weird about deciding on melee vs ranged. I wish you had direct control over your followers, because it would make some combat encounters a lot easier if you could focus them on priority targets.

Anyway, I eventually made it to San Francisco, and from there, I got the quest from the BoS to go to Navarro, and I was able to get the Advanced Power Armor. That was the point where things I think started to really turn around for the better, because I was able to accomplish everything I needed in the base without having to fight my way out (though it took some reloads, because figuring out the dialog trigger to get the vertibird plans is weirdly specific).

With the Advanced Power Armor, combat got a lot easier to handle, since you can shrug off a lot of damage. I dispatched the Hubologists and got the Shi to refuel the tanker, but then I hit a roadblock with the hold full of wanamingos and other mutated creatures down in the ship hold. I decided to start revisiting some locations to get some better gear for followers (the G11E for Sulik, and the Bozar for Marcus). I resolved some other miscellaneous quests I had, dispatched Metzger and the New Reno families (save for the Wrights), and then came back to the tanker. The combat still took a couple of tries, but eventually I got through it.

I left the team behind and went to the Oil Rig solo. It was here where I hit another issue: I couldn't get the access key from Richardson without starting combat with everyone on the floor, so I ended up using save game editor to give myself some extra Super Stimpacks for a quiet takedown. From there, I convinced the scientist Curling that the whole mutant extermination plan was bad, and he released the toxin in the base. However, I realized that in doing that, you can't talk to the doctor on the floor below to shutdown the reactor, and that the only other way to destroy the reactor (at least from what I read) is with an explosive, but I hadn't brought any. As a result, I had to reload a save from before talking to Curling, and then speak to the doctor downstairs so I could destroy the reactor.

From there, I made my way back to the entrance, found Granite's squad and convinced them to help me fight Horrigan, and then I used the Access Key to start the turrets. From there, I just watched as the squad and the turrets took down Horrigan. Left the Oil Rig and that was it.

Final stats:

code:
                         VAULT-13 PERSONNEL RECORD
                         01 August 2242  0800 hours

Name: Max                Age: 33               Gender: Male
 Level: 24                 Exp: 286,665      Next Level: 300,000

::: Statistics :::
       Strength: 09         Hit Points: 122/122         Sequence: 09
     Perception: 08        Armor Class: 039         Healing Rate: 01
      Endurance: 05      Action Points: 10       Critical Chance: 008%
       Charisma: 08       Melee Damage: 04          Carry Weight: 250 lbs.
   Intelligence: 09        Damage Res.: 055%
        Agility: 09     Radiation Res.: 070%
           Luck: 08        Poison Res.: 025%

::: Traits :::
  Gifted
  Bloody Mess
 ::: Perks :::
  Awareness
  Bonus Rate of Fire
  Better Criticals
  Sniper
  Action Boy
  Quick Pockets
  Gecko Skinning
  Gain Agility
  Living Anatomy
  Expert Excrement Expeditor

::: Karma :::
  Champion

::: Reputation :::
  Klamath: Idolized
  The Den: Idolized
  Vault City: Liked
  Gecko: Idolized
  Modoc: Idolized
  Sierra Army Depot: Neutral
  Broken Hills: Idolized
  New Reno: Idolized
  Redding: Idolized
  New California Republic: Idolized
  Vault 13: Idolized
  San Francisco: Idolized
  Vault 15: Idolized
  Ghost Farm: Idolized

::: Skills :::                ::: Kills :::
  Small Guns ..... 115%        Men ............ 153
  Big Guns ....... 008%        Women .......... 033
  Energy Weapons . 101%        Radscorpions ... 024
  Unarmed ........ 085%        Rats ........... 088
  Melee Weapons .. 070%        Floaters ....... 004
  Throwing ....... 030%        Centaurs ....... 002
  First aid ...... 066%        Robots ......... 005
  Doctor ......... 110%        Manti .......... 020
  Sneak .......... 023%        Plants ......... 012
  Lockpick ....... 070%        Geckos ......... 026
  Steal .......... 025%        Aliens ......... 038
  Traps .......... 025%        Giant Ants ..... 041
  Science ........ 090%        Big Bad Boss ... 001
  Repair ......... 075%
  Speech ......... 115%
  Barter ......... 075%
  Gambling ....... 030%
  Outdoorsman .... 065%

::: Inventory :::
  32,469x Money            1x Trapper Town Key      1x Rope                
  5x Micro Fusion Cell     51x Stimpak              7x 12 ga. Shotgun Shells
  1x Lockpicks             5x First Aid Kit         8x .223 FMJ            
  1x Jet                   1x Blue Pass Key         1x Tanker Fob          
  1x Expanded Lockpick Set  1x Electronic Lockpick MKII  1x Stables ID Badge    
  1x Ranger Pin            1x Motion Sensor         3x Condom (Blue Package)
  5x Condom (Green package)  3x Super Stimpak         1x Grenade (Frag)      
  1x Pancor Jackhammer     2x Grenade (Pulse)       2x Grenade (Plasma)    
  1x Plasma Rifle          1x Geiger Counter        1x G.E.C.K.            
  1x Paramedics Bag        1x Field Medic First Aid Kit  2x Small Energy Cell   
  4x 2mm EC                1x Presidential Access Key  1x .223 Pistol         
  1x Light Support Weapon  1x Mirrored Shades       1x M72 Gauss Rifle     
  1x Advanced Power Armor

Total Weight: 236 lbs.
I was playing with Game Difficulty and Combat Difficulty both set to Normal. I got the good endings for everything, save for the deathclaws (which isn't possible without the Restoration mod), and for whatever reason, the endings for Harold and The Elder didn't play, even though they were both alive.

I think my overall issue with the game revolves largely around combat. Increasing the combat speed to max helps out a lot (although I didn't do this until near the end), but even then, the general flow of combat still just feels kind of stilted, since it won't be until late in the game where you have ability to attack twice per round. It also seems like you spend a lot of the game being really fragile. I don't know if having a higher EN would help with that, or if you just have to prioritize getting better armor. Investing in skills like Speech and such will let you avoid combat in a lot of quests, but you can still get in a bind if you get caught in a random encounter with really strong foes, or if finishing a quest require you to engage in combat (ex. fighting Darion and the raiders in Vault 15).

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I played it on Gamepass a long time back, finished the original main quest and had a lot of fun. Picked it up on Steam a few months ago when there was a really good sale and did it again, but then dropped it, because while I loved the exploring and doing the main quest the idea of running events and what not to get hundreds of levels and tricked out legendary equipment just doesn't seem to interest me.

I still think the main quest and worldbuilding might be the best of a base Bethesda game since Morrowind though.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I know this isn't anything new, but having party members is sometimes more of a hindrance than a help.

:allears:

I'm glad you finished it, all the same.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

AEMINAL posted:

(76)

Yes, I started playing about 11 months ago and got hooked. It's mindless fun and I'm always finding stuff to do, even if it's the same stuff repeated there's still a great amount of variety in it these days.

As convoluted as it is, there's something I really enjoy about the FO4/FO76 building system and figuring out the tricks/hacks/workarounds to make my CAMP look good. And then having visitors silently judge my CAMP as they root through my vendor...

There's a die-hard group of about 3-5 in the FO76 'Wasteland Goons' Discord but since the new season starts TOMORROW I think that'll tick up a bit. Come join us if you're playing again!

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
So I haven’t played since they nuked my legacies, so I guess the first thing I’d want to do is to try to find something like a BE Fixer, unless that entire bloodied meta doesn’t work anymore for some reason?
Otherwise, what’s the fastest way to grind out cores for rerolls?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

bloodied meta is still good, quad explosive railway is the other go to for unyielding commando

cores are easy just jump on events and you'll have far too many. modules are annoying because you can only buy so many a day and have to grind out the rest in expeditions if you want more than 2-3 rolls. speaking of events this weekend is april fools so top of the hour events are different. today's is fasnacht

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
Right, I meant modules. I'm swimming in cores if i recall.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Yeah you are limited by the amount of scrip you can get a day. You can also get them from expeditions but I usually only get 1 or 2 at a time so that would be a pretty tedious way to do it.

Bloodied is really powerful but honestly my lame rear end full health power armor build feels overpowered for almost everything anyway.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Havent been here in ages, so they finally killed Legacy weapons? good for them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

being tempted back into FO76 for the new heavy gunner/explosive/grenadier frankengun :sigh:
side note this is the first time I've noticed my wireless is NOT the bottleneck for a large download/install:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 1, 2024

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

oh god I am so out of the loop with this game :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Ah boo, I thought the series was going to be weekly drops. :smith: