Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
fallout 4 is fun until it very suddenly becomes utterly trivial (around lvl 20?), or until you break the economy with water purifiers or just making drugs

there are some fun mods to improve it though. Overgrowth seriously reduces your visibility when outside the Boston ruins which can make combat tense again, and Some Assembly Required stripping most of the power armor pieces/suits out of the game means you aren't going to have 10 different suits of power armor around lvl 15

too bad the terrible plot and railroaded main characters means you can't conceivably play as anything other than a (easily distracted) parent.

on the upside, Far Harbor had excellent writing, and while Nuka World had a silly as hell premise for why your almost-certainly-a-Minute-Man-do-gooder character might team up with raiders, heading there right away from a new game (and cheesing your way through the gauntlet) let you (kind of, sort of) approach the game as a raider

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Still waiting for the release of New California for FNV

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

an excuse to post this again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLJ1gyIzg78

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

As far as how small cities feel in modern Fallout games, I feel like New Vegas is up there in how disappointing it feels, though granted this can be solved with mods opening up the Strip and Freeside.

limitations of the engine, and also consoles being a plague on gaming

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I might as well ask here while you guys are talking about it. Do the KOTOR games offer anything to someone who is at best lukewarm on the starwars franchise.

eh... I really like both of them, and I'm not much of a star wars fan. Do you actively dislike star wars?

I mean, like a lot of Bioware stuff, KotOR is basically an excuse to engage in some candy-floss storytelling wrapped in a genre you maybe enjoy

KotOR2 is some good writing but again - you're there for a slightly interactive novel. The gameplay in both can be tedious, with a fair amount of grindy battles, but I've enjoyed both of them originally, and going back to them years later

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

This sounds terrible, the force is pretty dumb, but Avellone is one of the most self indulgent writers I've ever seen in games and him lecturing me for thirty hours sounds hellish.

that's extreme hyperbole. The game has some excellent moral quandaries for you to engage with, and never really falls into the 'you're either the messiah or satan incarnate' trap that KotOR often puts you in

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

It does literally end with a character lecturing you for a while, though.

yeah, it does, sort of

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Neurosis posted:

going to the effort of modding new vegas so it doesn't look like crap. drat i wish these games had more robust mod integration - like, i could just tick a bunch of boxes in the settings menu of mods i wanted and they'd all download and install and clashes would be a rarity. messing around with a dozen i get from external sources some of which have finicky installation processes to get things working is irritating (same deal with witcher 3).

on this new install I've been using the NMM, and... it's been working pretty well actually

still getting odd graphical glitches because of FCO, but that's nothing new

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

2house2fly posted:

To be fair, everyone and their dog had called "the player character is a synth" as a twist back in 2008. I watched a youtube of the Dima conversation and it seemed like a decent way to bring up the possibility while not making a statement one way or the other

it was the one time in the game I felt they gave you an actual choice on who your character was

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Mad Max was a really fun game, though. One of the few I have all the achievements for.

it was okay. The plot wrapped up really quick, and was super dark even for Mad Max. The game also felt like a couple more months of dev time would have really helped it be a great game - ie: not having all of the mini-boss battles be the same guy, maybe having more than one war rig takedown. Ah well, I enjoyed it too.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

yeah that sounds firmly like FO4, which is trash

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

if I can't shoot people in the groin, no sale

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I'd like a game that didn't suck too, but here we are

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

What decision?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Basically both mods were planning on using sound files from the original games so they wouldn't have to replicate the VA, and Bethesda told them that's not an option.

oic

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bethesda's decision will also be impacting the New Vegas conversion, but that team has decided to continue on anyway and just use their own VA.

Upside: this will hopefully fix those janky-rear end moments in NV VA

wonder if Bethesda will get all uptight about them copying dialogue verbatim too

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Something I remember about Fallout 3's endgame is that I couldn't figure out the code to the Purifier because I believe the game doesn't actually tell you it. You're expected to remember the bible verse and figure out that its inscription or whatever is the code.

I had to go ask people online what the code was and then everyone called me stupid :saddowns:

pretty sure you get a holotape that mentions the bible verse and poo poo

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Katt posted:

Their health was never an issue though. More that 5 seconds after firing the first shot. The remaining 5 cazadors will be on you.

target the wings with an smg

e: or lob a 40mm grenade their way with Thump-Thump, the best weapon

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 16, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

frajaq posted:

asking what NPCs eat since 2008

bullets

e: wait no, LEAD

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

dual-stealth-blade assaultrons are the best

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

!!!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

FO2 ruled

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wrong decision imo. And I like Veronica.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

dont be mean to me posted:

:hai:

Unless you steal Not Elvis's dog.

Just get his brain fixed up and bring him home. ED-E will understand.

Probably.

The cyberdog brain thing raises some uncomfortable questions, come to think of it.

do it while ED-E is getting upgraded

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

:smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I feel like Metro scratches that particular Itch to some extent.