Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

is this where I go to laugh at the video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

bug chaser chaser posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a3o9el/psa_dont_use_more_than_15_treasure_maps_at_a_time/

quote:

quote:
Bought a bunch of maps for cheap thinking I was gonna get a bunch of plans to use. Turns out spamming the interact button too fast will cause you to disconnect (Crash an entire server I think) and when you respawn into a world you'll be completely naked with no pipboy. Everything from your inventory will be gone if you look at your equipment through the TRANSFER screen.

THIS LITERALLY BROKE MY GAME. PUNCHING ANOTHER PLAYER OR INITIATING A TRADE WITH ANOTHER PLAYER WILL CRASH THAT ENTIRE SEVER.

BETHESDA PLEASE, PLEASE FIX THIS.

Tested this on 2 different characters, both completely broken and can kill an entire server in literally 1 punch

quote:
Hey man. I also have this glitch. You definitely dont need to punch or trade people. Anyone that gets too close for a period of times crashes the server.

I've played about 4 hours with this glitch attempting to fix it. So far everything I tried had no effect. If you want to try and figure out our issues sometime over discord I'd be happy to try new poo poo.

quote:
I don't think it was ever intended for us to use multiple treasure maps at once. Basically an exploit.
because its obviously not intended to be used that way...isn't the definition of taking advantage of lovely programming an exploit?

i love this game

lmao

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

so, what happened to video games in the last year or two? like, for the past few years, good games were coming out, and business practices were... okay. not great, but not godawful like they have been in 2018. i know there have been lovely releases people can point to from the last few years, but this year seems to have really piled it on. or maybe it's just me.

we're living through another gilded age and it is extremely dumb

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Prophecy120 posted:

Bug of the Day™ - When opening a trade with another player, they can purchase your currently equipped weapon for 0 caps, even if you don't have it listed for sale.

Edit: https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/a583py/apparently_people_can_now_force_trade_and_scam/

Hell yes

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

It'd be like if you played assassins creed and suddenly a fat guy with a lazy eye jumped out from behind a bush and shouted "woah de weh ho wo dip" and then a corpse threw a box of dunkin' donuts at him...

:hmmyes::lesnick:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

remember that day one 50GB patch?

That was awesome

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

today:

same with the emotes, the discount label simply disappeared

no loving comment

todd reads the thread

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

that is what they did, capped item crafting at 255. But you can just put those on the ground, and then craft the rest to force a server boot, lol

this seems like the sort of issue there's no quick and easy fix to because of the way the game's designed. not without the solution potentially impacting fair players.

this is hilarious

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I made the mistake of re-reading the Fallout 2 LP in the Archive (which is very good), and now I'm thinking about making another attempt to complete a play-through of Fallout 2 (even though I know everything that happens).

I tried starting a game back around March (which I think I did after reading through the LP the first time), and I think I only made it as far as the giant mole rat you fight in the cave (which I couldn't beat). The problem I seem to have with the old Fallout games is that they feel super slow and stiff, and it seems like it's easy to make a character that's not skilled enough to do anything right. It took like five or six different attempts over the span of like six years before I finally started a Fallout 1 game I managed to finish.

My questions are A.) How should I build my character, and B.) Should I use the unofficial patches? The second question I know sounds stupid, but I was thinking in terms of exploits versus quest-lines. I know there are some ways to cheese some vendors or whatnot to get free money and/or ammo, and stuff like taking Jinxed with maxed luck to negate the penalty. However, I was thinking about how some endings don't trigger because of certain issues (like the survival of the talking deathclaws). There's also the Restoration Project, and while exploring the cut areas sounds fun, I don't know how much actual content is included, and if it's really worth checking out.

As far as building a character goes, I tend to go for passing speech checks and bypassing combat (and failing that, using Small Guns).

The game is stiff and clunky as hell. If you haven't seen this walk through I recommend checking it out. Apparently it went down recently and somebody rehosted it on Github:

https://github.com/Lemmings19/fallout-2-walkthrough

Unless you are really against the idea of using a walkthrough, I'd say make one of the recommend characters on there and check it for direction whenever you get lost. For me the game is just not fun with underpowered characters, and there are so many skills that are essentially useless. I usually go small guns, melee or unarmed and then lock pick and speech.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Temple of Trials was actually my first real exposure to the Fallout series outside of seeing the promo stuff for it at PAX 2008, and needless to say, it didn't leave a good impression.

For reference, this is my character sheet for that old game from March:

code:

FALLOUT
                         VAULT-13 PERSONNEL RECORD
                          31 July 2241  1258 hours

Name: Max Wilco          Age: 24               Gender: Male
 Level: 02                 Exp: 2,565        Next Level: 3,000

::: Statistics :::
       Strength: 05         Hit Points: 022/032         Sequence: 05
     Perception: 05        Armor Class: 007         Healing Rate: 01
      Endurance: 04      Action Points: 08       Critical Chance: 006%
       Charisma: 06       Melee Damage: 01          Carry Weight: 100 lbs.
   Intelligence: 07        Damage Res.: 000%
        Agility: 07     Radiation Res.: 008%
           Luck: 06        Poison Res.: 020%

::: Traits :::
  Small Frame

::: Karma :::

::: Reputation :::
  Arroyo: Idolized
  Klamath: Accepted
  Den: Neutral

::: Skills :::                ::: Kills :::
  Small Guns ..... 063%        Radscorpions ... 002
  Big Guns ....... 014%        Rats ........... 041
  Energy Weapons . 014%        Plants ......... 002
  Unarmed ........ 055%        Giant Ants ..... 007
  Melee Weapons .. 054%
  Throwing ....... 028%
  First aid ...... 024%
  Doctor ......... 019%
  Sneak .......... 026%
  Lockpick ....... 026%
  Steal .......... 021%
  Traps .......... 022%
  Science ........ 048%
  Repair ......... 023%
  Speech ......... 062%
  Barter ......... 024%
  Gambling ....... 030%
  Outdoorsman .... 022%

::: Inventory :::
  250x Money               1x Vic's Water Flask     1x Broc Flower         
  2x Scorpion Tail         2x Healing Powder        4x Meat Jerky          
  1x Trapper Town Key      1x Rubber Boots          3x 10mm JHP            
  1x Crowbar               1x Sharpened Spear       1x Deck of "Tragic" Cards
  1x Nuka-Cola             1x Pipe Rifle            1x Stimpak             
  1x Vic's Radio           1x 10mm Pistol         

Total Weight: 83 lbs.
Perception 5 makes me wonder if that's the reason why I keep missing shots, though it could just be a low skill in Small Guns. I also noticed I had reputation for The Den, so maybe I was already there in that playthrough. I honestly can't remember what quests I was doing, so I thought about restarting just to have a clean slate.

Question: How does skill percentage actually work? I know you can level it higher than 100%, but how does that actually calculate?

Just from my playthroughs long ago weapon skills feel like they hit a huge diminishing return at around 100%. First of all for every post past 100 it costs 2 skill points (and I think 3 for every point past 200%). It felt like in the low hundreds your chance to hit gets good enough to hit whatever you are aiming at.

The game feels really crappy when you are well under 100% in your main combat skill because misses are so common. Everything murders you and you suck terribly. I think the best way around this is to start with like 9 in agility and int. I would take charisma down to 2 and boost int/agi, then spend every skill credit you can into small guns until it's at least 100%.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Oh lookie here

from the e3 reveal

Dispenser goin up

*reads two more posts*

nevermind

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Looks like those clowns at Bethesda did it again

what a bunch of clowns.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Todd! Fuckin! Howarddddd!!!

https://youtu.be/Xr9Oubxw1gA

the comment section

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Yardbomb posted:

Are you one of the clowns that was mad people don't like this bad game

He did battle against Haters of the bad game

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I just finished replaying Fallout 2 and folks.. it's good

some things I noticed for the first time

-The .44 Magnum is insanely powerful and same for the .223 pistol. I completely ignored those before
-Bonus rate of fire plus fast shot plus sniper is ridiculous. Also Bonus Move was a really fun addition to combat. My first playthrough I used the Skilled trait and also took the dumbest perks possible.
-I hate Marcus and left him to rot in the military base after he annihilated me with a burst for the third time
-I had no idea how much of the game could be done without mowing down everything in your way (like the Enclave). I still slaughtered Metzger when I was wildly over equipped for it
-You can use steal on your allies to quickly access their inventory. Holy poo poo
-New Reno was awesome with a walkthrough to help me figure out what the hell was going on there. Also Myron's dialogue is really gross with a female player character.

Also I've been playing with the default GoG version and it apparently has some mods (Sfall and a high res option) included which I'm just now realizing the extent of.

The game is so good, gat dang

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Magmarashi posted:

That is weird and creepy, my dude. Please just don't?

his faith in tod was shattered. now he don't believe in nothing no more

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

also I'm now playing Fallout 1 for the first time and I miss a lot of FO2 features. It's amazing what they added to the sequel with just a year in between releases. I guess that short time helps explains the enormous amount of bugs in FO2

the difficulty curve in 1 is wacky. I was getting my rear end handed to me by every raider fight until I got a lucky random encounter (Bob's car Mart) and got the Red Ryder LE BB gun and proceeded to blast people's eyes out left and right

Also dogmeat walking in front of me and getting sliced in half by a laser gatling burst was sad and hilarious. I had to find some tips online about how to prevent his terrible death. Running into a room then shutting the door on him worked to survive the military base.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

The BB gun is a 10-luck easter egg joke weapon. Keeping Dogmeat alive is enough of a save-scumming chore that you can conclude he's canonically supposed to die.

I had 9 luck, but yeah the 100 shot clip is kind of ridiculous. I used it until I got an Alien Blaster from another encounter, then gave the BB gun to Tycho (who immediately had a critical failure and lost his ammo with it).

Just finished the game doing the Cathedral last and noticed dogmeat didn't move after loading into a new zone down in the vault. Clearly that's evidence that he was intended to survive the game. Or it was a bug, or a script to make a stealthy approach work.

Now I think I'll try Arcanum. Never got beyond the first town with it, hope i can find a walkthrough as good as the Per Jorner Fallout guides

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

lol Fallout 4 is a way better game than Morrowind ever hoped to be.

You don't have to keep doing this man, there is help out there

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

you n'wah

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

kilus aof posted:

From the Fallout 2 manual:
"Invading the Vats, I came across more mutants and robots. None could stand in my way. I had a mission. I had a goal. I had a really large gun. It was here that Dogmeat fell, a victim of a powerful energy forcefield. I miss that dog."

son of a bitch

But yeah that makes sense, unless you kennel Dogmeat in the elevator on each floor.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Also fallout 2 has an extremely bad story, the main plot is stupid and it's got too much cartoon wacky nonsense and stupid silly ideas. Fallout 2 was always good as a mechanical game with a really inconsistent tone that is not nearly as strong as fallout 1

I feel the exact opposite way. FO1 felt way goofier and inconsistent in tone. Like the Brotherhood and super mutants and Cathedral factions were all insanely goofy. But I played FO2 first so obviously that biases my opinion

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I hate laughing at this video game. Hate it so much

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The same place every other terrible thing on the internet comes from these days:
https://old.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/adj6hx/rant_the_fallout_76_hate_train_is_actually_worse/

A community of people so terrible even the normal Fallout subreddet forced them out into their own little internet refugee camp.

it's funny seeing people talk about hate when in reality making fun of a video game is a joyful activity. People are laughing at it because it's fun

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

ASenileAnimal posted:

i guess i might give fallout 2 a shot as i never ended up finishing it

Do it and check out this guide (https://lemmings19.github.io/fallout-2-walkthrough/#contents) if you aren't against using a walkthrough and want to get the most out of a single playthrough. I just did and had a great time, helped give me direction to do a lot of quests and dialogues I never would have known about

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

the good ending of Fallout is you join the master and the rear end in a top hat overseer gets pulped by some super mutants

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Looks like those clowns at Bethesda did it again

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

frankly my boy I don't give a drat

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Free 2 pip

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

pip

e: wrong thread

Solarin fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Do you not loot everything, have glitchy companions and do fetch quests in Fallout 1? 2 is just an expanded 1 with worse bugs like the phantom car trunk and a whole lot more goofy poo poo like Hubologists and Modoc.